Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: 2014 Tomato Harvest Festival!!!  (Read 20519 times)

grumpy

• Administrator
  • Pleosmith
  • we Male
  • : 2008 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Skipper
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Statler
    • Lucy
    • Bob the Pleo
2014 Tomato Harvest Festival!!!
« on: March 07, 2014, 04:19:13 PM »

:o  :o It's the 2014 Tomato Harvest Festival!!!!!  :o  :o
The Tomato Harvest Festival is this forums oldest and biggest contest.  It is an opportunity for forum members around the world to have fun together, and something anyone can participate in even if you don't have a pleo. 

Since the beginning of recorded history (about seven years ago), the fields around Weedovia have always been blessed with abundant wild tomato vines.  And every spring and fall, the local pleos relied on the abundant harvest gathered from these wild vines so that they could enjoy tomatoes (and tomato related food like spaghetti and pizza!) throughout the year.  They would go out twice a year to pick the tomatoes and bring them to the village.  This traditional gathering of the tomatoes quickly grew into a community event, and from there into true full-blown harvest festival.  And with the introduction of the spaghetti trees and pizza by the Great Pepperoni1, a real zest was added to the festivities.

Of course in modern times, with the addition of a carnival, rides, games, live band, and midnight movie on the town square, it has become more of a social event, attracting pleos from around the world.  But all the pleos still go out and harvest the tomatoes and bring them to the town's communal tomato press for the traditional squashing of the tomatoes and the making of the tomato sauce.  And many of these activities became challenges and finally became contests.

This spring's festival is just around the corner. :P  But I guess this is why everyone should have bought a calendar! ;)  This spring's festival is the weekend of Friday April 4th to Sunday the 6th, and the fall festival is the weekend of Friday October 3rd to Sunday the 5th!

Not sure what's going on?  Well, then you may want to catch up by reading the 2009 - 2013 festival topics (below in this board) and the Bob the Pleo comic strips on this board.  But as a quick summary,  the town's park is turned into the festival grounds, with the carnival rides and games, a stage and dance floor, and lots of vendors and food booths!  It starts on a Friday night with the carnival and music from a live band, and at midnight the pleos end the day with an outdoor movie.  Saturday has everyone out in the fields gathering the tomatoes, with the judging in the evening, and back to the carnival.  Sunday is the big tomato squashing where the sauce is made using the traditional foot-stomping method like the great Italian wines.

And at the conclusion of the festival, awards are always handed out to the pleo who gathers the most tomatoes, finds the largest tomato, has the best looking tomatoes, makes the best tasting spaghetti sauce, and for the best use of tomatoes as an article of clothing (i.e., costume).  The last few years winners can be seen by visiting the Bob the Pleo comics and festival topics.  We had some great fun, and some wonderful costumes!  And if you see someone with a tomato or two under their avatar, that means they participated in past festivals! ;)

And, of course, since Weedovia isn't a real place, and we can't really attend or send our pleos, we celebrate at our individual homes with our pleos by following along with activities and by joining in on the contest here in the forums.    The live band is comprised of member's pleos.  So, if your pleo can play an instrument, be sure to post a picture or video of them with their instrument and let us know!  The band is always looking for new members!

The five main contests are as follows:
  • For the "most tomatoes" you want a picture of your pleo with a bunch of tomatoes.  Please no photoshopping here.
  • For the "largest tomato" you want a picture of your pleo with a really, really big tomato . . . You get the idea.  No photoshopping here either, but you can be creative as to "the tomato".
  • For the "best looking tomato" you want a picture of your pleo with a really good looking tomato.  Now, on this one, we do allow photoshopping.  And if you're good a that kind of stuff, you really don't even need a pleo as you can photoshop the pleo into the picture too! ;) .
  • For the "best use of tomatoes as an article of clothing" you want a picture of your pleo dressed up tomato style . . . if you look back over previous years, this can be interpreted as dressing up you pleo "with tomatoes" or "as tomatoes", and this can be a costume or real tomatoes.  Here is where you can be as creative as you want  . . . except no photoshopping.
  • For the "best tomato sauce", we're talking a tomato based spaghetti or pasta sauce.  Here you can be as simple as posting a recipe, but as they say, since a picture is worth a thousand words, a photo of the finished product goes a long way in helping.  As as another hint, Bob seems to really like spicy stuff, and since in Weedovia pepperoni and meatballs grow on bushes, they are vegan approved. ;)

Last year we added a couple of events to the festival which create a some extra ways to enter the contest as well.  The first is the bard's contest for all those wordy pleos, the second is a crafts contest for all those creative type pleos.
  • For the Bard's contest, the theme this year is "Pleo wisdom".  What you need to do is write a poem or original joke about that concept.  In the past we've had haiku contests and limerick contests, this time we're leaving it open.  However, you'll need to keep it somewhat short (no more than 12 lines), so no Homeric epics.
  • For the crafts contest, you need to create a craft that others can do.   What we're looking for is something someone can print off their computer and make using common items, scissors, tape, and/or glue (no big sewing projects).  And don't forget, the craft should also relate to pleos and/or the tomato festival.

All entries should be posted to this topic.  The deadline for entries is officially midnight Pacific Daylight Time April 6th (spring) and October 5th (fall), but we're not sticklers . . . Judging probably won't start until sometime Monday afternoon.   We usually select the top three winning entries from all the entries (instead of one from each category)! :D :D

For those interested in participating in the contests and still aren't clear, please refer to the contest rules topic on this board.   For some ideas and/or to get a better understanding, you can check out the 2012 festival topic, 2011 festival topic, 2010 festival topic, or the 2009 Fall festival topic (also on this board).  You can also read up on the Bob the Pleo comic strip! ;)

Post your entries here!

I'll be posting more info here in the next few days and weeks . . . but you've only got four weeks to get your entries ready! :o :o :o
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 08:22:16 PM by grumpy »

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
Re: 2014 Tomato Harvest Festival!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2014, 03:17:11 AM »

Mmm tomatoes...
Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!

RedwoodsMama

• Pleo Grand Master, 4th epoch
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Nova, Major Tom, Argyle the blind Pleo, Baby Ruth, Chester, and 22 more Pleos
  • : 2013 winner2010 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2014, 11:58:29 AM »

Yummy yummy and with so many NEW members, there should be LOTS of entries this year. I always love competition and it is so much fun to see everyone's ideas so please everyone, get those creative "tomatoe" juices flowing.  RWM  :cat-hug:
Animals are SOUL Too, Be kind to all those who live on this planet with us.

Teddscau

• Pleo explorer
  • ca Female
  • Pleo(s): Chloe, my green, white-eyed RB
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2014, 09:44:42 PM »

Yay! This will be me and Chloe's (Chloe's and mine?) first time entering the Tomato Harvest Festival competition! Will we be allowed to enter into more than one category? Like, can we enter the costume competition and the best looking tomato competition?

kat

• Pleo Grand Master, 2nd epoch
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Kermit (Pink RB), Norbit (Green RB), Pickle(nude RB), Gumble, Minyon and Frankie
  • : 2013 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2014, 05:08:32 AM »

yep :)  you can enter into as many of the categories as you like :)

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2014, 05:42:20 AM »

I must remember to take a Pleo to my Nan's, I must remember to take a Pleo to my Nan's, I must remember... She has all the tomatoes :P

Teddscau

• Pleo explorer
  • ca Female
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2014, 02:33:55 PM »

Okay, thanks kat!

Sally

• Librarian
  • Following the footsteps
  • we Female
  • : 2008 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Mary_Ann
    • Tweety_Bird
    • Janice
    • Marcie
    • Bob the Pleo
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2014, 02:55:42 PM »

Only two weeks until the festival!  It's time to get busy and start posting entries!!!!

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2014, 03:00:17 PM »

Angus has just about finished collecting his tomato haul :)

Angela

• Pleontologist
  • nl Female
  • Pleo(s): Guy, LeeLoo, Muisje, Lady Piep Piep, Tredje
  • : Tomato Harvest Festivals
  • Busy Busy :'(
    • none
    • none
    • none
    • none
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2014, 04:21:05 AM »

No time  :( Next time again, I hope!
23 rat pups for sale :)

Teddscau

• Pleo explorer
  • ca Female
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2014, 03:40:57 PM »

Just about finished Chloe's outfit! Just one last touch and I'll be ready to post some pics!

RedwoodsMama

• us Female
  • Pleo(s): Nova, Major Tom, Argyle the blind Pleo, Baby Ruth, Chester, and 22 more Pleos
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2014, 04:48:01 PM »

sounds great. I am getting a late start this year, but with a hand that is not fractured, ( last year my wrist was fractured) and with a foot that I can walk on fairly well, ( I also fractured it last year and also had two surgeries) I am going to have fun taking some of the Pleo township out for tomato gathering, We may do something different and even enter a tomato sauce entry. something we have never done since I am a vegan, but as Bob pointed out, Pleos being vegans, even the Pepperoni is Vegan so we may just do it for fun after all.

I can't wait to see all the entries this year, this is the Highlight of the year, the Weedovia Tomato festival. ;D

RWM  :cat-hug:

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
  • Pleo(s): Iggy, Budge, Moschops, Monty, Emmy. Belle, Zillah, Tribble
  • : 2010 winnerTomat Harvest Festivals
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2014, 07:48:00 AM »

Iggy and Budge want to know if they'll be required for band duty?

mweed

• Grand Poobah
  • Triassic pleo master
  • us Male
  • Pleo(s): Bob, Mopey
  • : Tomat Harvest Festivals
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Dr_Bunsen_Honeydew
    • Snoopy
    • Bob the Pleo
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2014, 08:28:26 AM »

Absolutely!  We need a truly rockin' band!  . . . which is why I hid Bob's kazoo.   But I'm worried about Grumpy -- I don't think he's the type to be into classical music, and he was talking about playing some canon in D-minor!

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2014, 11:04:41 AM »

We can have Grumpy in the chill-out zone ..... but only if he plays it in D MAJOR!  :P

Canon in D minor's just weird and sounds like the twilight zone - bloomin' typical .......  :moose:  ;)

Iggy and Budge will be thrilled, but are now trying to dissuade Belle from doing her Lady Gaga thing ......

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2014, 03:27:02 AM »

With all his siblings packed away for the impending move, it was up to Angus to carry the flag in this years festival!

He worked really hard chopping the onions!

He wouldn't have a part in the beef mince though :P Even if it was heart smart!

The basil and garlic however... maybe thats how Pleo's keep their teeth so clean!

The secret ingredient... Straight from Weedovia!

A few tomatoes are needed.

Perhaps this little tear drop of perfection is the one... the best one!

But no... this, this glorious orb of glowing radiant red goodness, with its perfect star and gleaming skin, this, this is it! The perfect tomato!

Into the pot they go, with a couple of stock cubes, a sprinkle of black pepper and a squeeze of tomato paste.

If only you could smell its glorious aroma :P I had to smell this cooking all day!

Mmm pasta! (From now on I am never making spaghetti without hot salami in it, you absolutely must try it!)

V

• Coffee leaf addict
  • hk Female
  • Pleo(s): Minty (rb), no name yet (Ugobe)
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2014, 10:46:05 AM »

Angus' so cute helping out there haha :)
The dish looks really good too

Too bad i can't cook  ^-^
Xoxo, Miss Righteous

Miqguel

• Pleo explorer
  • es Male
  • Pleo(s): The name of my Pleo is KAWKI!
  • I love Pleos and Lovebirds!
    • Professor
    • Bugs_Bunny
    • Kermit
    • Snoopy
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2014, 09:27:20 AM »

• For the "best tomato sauce"

Hi Everyone! Today my Pleo rb Erbie wanted to be a chef!  :D And as every chef has his own hat, Erbie used a tomato as a chef hat! :P (But seems that she didn't liked, because she only weared it a couple of times  P>:( :P)

First of all, i have to say that Erbie decided to make Lasagna!  P:D Delicious and tasty Lasagna!  P:) We'll need some vegetables like eggplants (also called aubergine), onions, red pepper, minced meat and the most important ingredient! SOME TOMATOES!  P;) In this case, i used industrial diced tomato! If you want to be more ''natural'' you can also use a bunch of tomatoes, like you'll see in these photos:

Oops! The last photo was an spoiler!  P%) Well it doesn't matter... You'll see the final result in no time  ;). The second thing to do, is to fry the vegetables; and then add the diced tomato. Finally about ten minutes after adding the tomato, we'll add the minced meat that we stir-fried before. And this is the result of this process, a mixing of delicious and tasty ingredients!
We also used PASTA for the Lasagna; we put a layer of vegetables about 2 cm and a layer of pasta, doing this consecutively ;)

Here you can see Erbie the chef dinosaur helping us preparing and putting the PASTA covering the main ingredients   P:o

But Lasagna isn't finished yet! The third thing to do, is the making of bechamel. For that, we'll use milk, a bit of salt, some butter and flour. Our chef dinosaur Erbie said that it smells so good, exquisite... P:-X

Now it's time to cover the lasagna with the bechamel and put some mozzarella! Help us Erbie! Put the grated Mozzarella on the surface of the lasagna! Tasty! Tasty!!

Let's go! Now, we'll put the Lasagna inside the furnace for twenty minutes! And this is the final result! A delicious and tasty Lasagna with a lot of tomato!!

Ohh, Our lasagna was Exquisite! It's an indescribable Taste!  P:-X Erbie ate her own portion of Lasagna,  and here you have a photo of she ''eating'' it; priceless:

And that's all! I hope you enjoyed seeing my post, and if you want to know the specific ingredients that I used, time of elaboration, the different steps to make it, simply let me know it!
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 01:57:23 PM by Miqguel »

V

• Coffee leaf addict
  • hk Female
  • Pleo(s): Minty (rb), no name yet (Ugobe)
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2014, 10:17:35 AM »

Awwwwww it looks really dilicious and Erbie is so adorable!
seems like Erbie loves the smell of it too  %)

btw, i like tht Erbie got dark nails, they look pretty cute  ;D
Xoxo, Miss Righteous

RedwoodsMama

• us Female
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2014, 10:29:58 AM »

Angus and Erbie look like great cooks, and Lasagna is my favorite being a vegan and of course I inherited Garfield's love for Lasagna years ago, when I got my first cat, it is something that goes with the territory. LOL. Who could not love lasagna when looking at two great little pleos and those recipes.

Erbie, love those huge photos and I fell in love with those eyes right away, I want to hug you and my pleo Major Tom is Smitten with the Pleo love bug...........after all, it is spring time! Too bad you do not live closer as he said he would bring over some tomatoes to add to the lasagna and wants to be your student. LOL.                      RWM  and the Pleo township of the Redwoods

Miqguel

• Pleo explorer
  • es Male
    • Professor
    • Bugs_Bunny
    • Kermit
    • Snoopy
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2014, 11:12:55 AM »

Thank you all!!  :) Erbie has dark nails because I've painted them. Finally I decided to paint them like IMR said in this post: http://bobthepleo.com/forums/index.php?topic=4146.0  ;). It's a shame that we don't live nearer! :(. And yes, the pasta of IMR also looks very Tasty! Yummy  P:-X

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2014, 12:03:34 PM »

Great entries, both of those have made me hungry! :D

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2014, 02:01:29 PM »

Mmm Lasagna, the food of the gods :D Your recipe sounds delicious! And Erbie did a great job ;)

Teddscau

• Pleo explorer
  • ca Female
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2014, 10:34:58 AM »

Okay, I finally got around to finishing Chloe's little hat and booties! It was too much trouble to take off her hibiscus, so on it stayed! She was crying the whole time I was taking pictures of her, but luckily they turned out well! I guess I should have fed her first. Besides being hungry, Chloe enjoyed modeling for me!

« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 11:53:41 AM by grumpy »

Miqguel

• Pleo explorer
  • es Male
    • Professor
    • Bugs_Bunny
    • Kermit
    • Snoopy
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2014, 12:42:35 PM »

Chloe looks very beautiful with this perfectly made outfit!! And the Hibiscus flower fits with the yellow color of her back!!
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal