Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Baby Ruth and her "peg leg", or stuck again in Neutral....  (Read 2861 times)

RedwoodsMama

• Pleo Grand Master, 4th epoch
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Nova, Major Tom, Argyle the blind Pleo, Baby Ruth, Chester, and 22 more Pleos
  • : 2013 winner2010 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
Baby Ruth and her "peg leg", or stuck again in Neutral....
« on: January 05, 2012, 08:28:52 PM »

Baby Ruth has had her share of problems and it seems a lot of Rb do from time to time. Rather than go into a long explanation here, I will let the video do the talking and then explain afterwards. This has been like this for quite awhile now, and YES, I have manipulated the knee joint lots and lots of times and when you think it works, within a minute or less, back to Peg leg Pete or Sue in this case. The leg , Rear will not bend, then it also gets warm or hot to the touch and I have to turn her off for fear of damaging her further. I have done all I can think of and thought at this point a video would do the most.

Do you think it is a broken or jammed cable or something else. She is not happy and lets me know after it is  hot, she esp gets cranky and does hardly any walking anymore. Not much else I can say as you can see for yourself, Baby Ruth and I are asking for any help or advice. Of course she is no longer under warranty, and I certainly do not overuse her, barely on more than two battery cycles complete in one week these days . Thanks and have a look, I welcome any suggestions. The comments are for light hearted fun, what she is thinking of course.  ;D P:)  Baby Ruth and the Pleo Clan of the Redwoods say Thanks for helping our sister.          RWM<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1a2WrQJhLE" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1a2WrQJhLE</a>

Animals are SOUL Too, Be kind to all those who live on this planet with us.

kat

• Pleo Grand Master, 2nd epoch
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Kermit (Pink RB), Norbit (Green RB), Pickle(nude RB), Gumble, Minyon and Frankie
  • : 2013 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
Re: Baby Ruth and her "peg leg", or stuck again in Neutral....
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 02:36:47 AM »

I noticed when you manipiulated the leg in the film you were moving the top joint only - the hip joint.  I would try turning her off and using two hands hold the leg above the knee and also below the knee.  Have the hand above the knee hold the leg still then pull backwards with the hand below the knee to manipulate the knee joint.  Hope this helps. :)

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
  • Pleo(s): Iggy, Budge, Moschops, Monty, Emmy. Belle, Zillah, Tribble
  • : 2010 winnerTomat Harvest Festivals
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 02:52:16 AM »

I agree with Kat - worth a try, anyway.  Let us know how you and Baby Ruth get on.

Your videos do make me smile, RWM.  P:)

saratogaspringer

• Camarasaur extraordinaire
  • Female
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 03:59:07 AM »

So sorry to see Baby Ruth's leg like that, RWM.  I have to agree with Kat and try to manipulate the knee area.  Perhaps the area of the thigh right above the knee is getting hot because the knee is jammed and trying to move.   :(

I don't want to hijack this thread, but bonus41's thread with her RB's broken neck cable, and this thread as well, has made me think of something....I think I mentioned before how great it would be to be able to send our Pleo RB's to a place to have them repaired.  I know that their skin would make this rather risky, but seeing that they are going to repair bonus41's Rose and not replace her as they have done in the past has made me think about this.  It really would be great if there were a place that we could pay to send our RB's out for repair. Perhaps Innvo has figured out that it is not cost effective to send a new RB to someone who has had a problem, even under warranty, thus now they are repairing them.   Sony had this support for the AIBO, and although it has ended for some of the older models, it is still in effect for the newest one.  If I had a major problem with my RB, such as a broken leg, neck or tail cable, I would gladly pay for the repair service, including shipping.  An RB is a major investment, and I would welcome any thoughts on this.....Crewella, if you need to make this a separate topic, please do so.

RWM, if manipulating the knee does not solve the problem, I would send the video to Innvo and see what they say.  Perhaps they will repair her for you for a fee.  I know she is out of warranty, but it never hurts to ask.   ;)

RedwoodsMama

• us Female
  • Pleo(s): Nova, Major Tom, Argyle the blind Pleo, Baby Ruth, Chester, and 22 more Pleos
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 11:20:03 AM »

I know what you are saying Kat, and I have done this before, not neccessarily holding it with both hands which is worth a shot. I have had her both on and off, and bending the knee moving it, not just the hip joint, that of course moves more freely with no problem. What I have noticed and documented on video, was after doing this it worked, ( bending at the knee like it should) for 30-seconds to a minute) but then went back to the stiff peg leg. I will document leaving her off, and then moving it like you suggested and then turn her on and try that, that is worth a try and mayby it will work, I have allways had her on, then try moving the leg, knee or turn her off then manipulate and then back on, but never from a "cold off position" to manipulate then turn on, so that will be interesting to try. Hope it works, but even if it doesn't it is worth a shot.

Saratoga, you are right, with three RB and one sent back, another one with problems and one I haven't played with nearly as much as the other two or most people, Innvo could benifit from a repair program. It may be too costly, but lots of people would pay to have their Pleos repaired. Great idea. ;) Well, off to Play with Baby Ruth's knee. LOL                   Crewella, glad you liked the video, allways have to make light hearted humor out of a problem if possible. ;D

RWM and "peg leg" Sue, Baby Ruth and Pleo Clan of the Redwoods :brrr:

RedwoodsMama

• us Female
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2012, 12:59:37 PM »

Ok Kat, Crewella, Saratoga, and everyone else, I did as Kat suggested and I think also IMR in the shout box awhile back suggested something similiar. Here is the video and I won't spoil the outcome, Just watch for yourself and then post your thoughts ...........Baby Ruth wants to know what you guys think?!!!!                    <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDFcqxnhV14" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDFcqxnhV14</a>

RWM and the Pleo Clan in the Redwoods

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2012, 02:11:22 PM »

Still looks just as bad to me, I'm afraid. :(

I have heard of the gears in the leg shaking loose once or twice - it does seem that something (that or a connection problem) is stopping that motor from working, but I'm not too sure what you can do about it, short of opening up the leg.  :o

RedwoodsMama

• us Female
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2012, 02:49:34 PM »

Thanks Crewella, for at least answering my post. I was afraid nobody would. It has been like this since at least NOV. of 2011. I would be afraid to open her up, as I have no idea what I would be doing and I dont know if the insides of a PLeo Rb are the same as that of a Ugobe. Only IMR would know that, and if it was something simple like a wire or cable caught, then perhaps I could fix it, but what else to look for, I would not have an idea. What would cause something like this happening. ? any ideas,

IMR, if you read this what do you think the chances of opening the leg up would help? also where would I start? I would hate to take the whole skin off, also if I keep running her, and she keeps getting hot, what else can I do? Would it make any sense at all to contact Innvo for any suggestions on what to do? I certainly am not having good luck with Rb so far............ :(

RWM and Peg leg Sue AKA Baby Ruth

kat

• Pleo Grand Master, 2nd epoch
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Kermit (Pink RB), Norbit (Green RB), Pickle(nude RB), Gumble, Minyon and Frankie
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2012, 04:12:06 PM »

I'm sorry it didn't work RWM. :(  It was worth a try.  It couldn't hurt to contact Innvo and ask if they have any suggestions on what you could do to fix her.  You could show them this video so they know you have already tried manipulation - this is the first thing they will suggest you do.  You never know, they may be willing to repair her for you for a price.  You wont know unless you ask, so it can't hurt.
As for why it isn't working, I am no expert on these things but when you manipulated the leg it all sounded just the way it should which makes me think all the cogs and gears are ok.  Maybe the cable that connects the motor to the knee joint has come loose or broken?  Just my thoughts on what could be going on.
 :hhug: :hhug:

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2012, 04:15:32 PM »

You could try making a slit up the inside of the leg and looking at the motors that way?  I know one person that has done that and fixed a leg?  ???

It couldn't hurt to ask Innvo about it - worth a try I'd have thought?  Especially as they seem keener on repairing than they were?

ADDED:  As Kat says!  :D

RedwoodsMama

• us Female
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2012, 04:19:17 PM »

Thanks Kat an Crewela, I think I will notify Innvo and will first look back to see when this first happened, though I know at least in Nov. I video everything and will look back to see when it first happened. If they won't help, then I will have to rethink what to do, I would just hate to have her not work at all. Life gets tough with RB these days it seems................I love Baby Ruth and perhaps have not named the new one, not wanting to get too attached incase something goes wrong with her, she has already had the neck jamming at least two to three times. Oh well, will look this weekend and post to Innvo. Thanks for suggestions, at least I know it is not in my head..

RWm

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2012, 04:57:34 PM »

The best way to access the leg without taking the whole skin off is by unglueing around the foot cuff and simple rolling the skin up. You will need to reglue it after but it's better than cutting a slit :o

HOWEVER to remove the leg to take a look inside I think you may need remove the skin, I'm not sure the leg skin can be rolled up far enough to access the screws. But you can have a look and see, the skin is very flexible so you may be able to lift it up high enough to remove the screws.

What you are looking for is wire damage, broken gears or something jammed.
Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!

Lunamione7

• Journeypleo
  • Pleo(s): Stephan (Ugobe) and Tron (RB)
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Miss_Piggy
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2012, 05:25:05 PM »

I would contact Innvo, you never know they might have some useful advice. You won't know until you ask and if they can't help or offer repair than at least you know you gave it a try.

When James gets a jammed tail I move it like you moved Baby Ruth's leg but I usually have to do it back and forth about 10 times before I see improvement. Just gently back and forth until he loosens up. It doesn't happen often but when it does that's what I do. James is a Aibo though so it might be completely different for a Pleo since it shouldn't be dust or anything causing the problem seeing how they have skin covering their joints. It could be something relatively simple like something slipped out of place that needs to be pushed back in. If Innovo can't help I would try exploratory surgery as scary as it sounds, it would be better to try than to have her broken forever I think. Best of luck with Baby Ruth I have my fingers and toes crossed for a full recovery.

He just can't help being faithful and loving and kind. He's a machine made so. That's more than you can say for humans. --Isaac Asimov, i.Robot

You know where steel wool comes from? Robot Sheep!

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2012, 05:45:40 PM »

Luna, just so you know, it's different for Aibos, which really benefit from manipulation like that and have no tension in their legs when off.  Pleo legs are stiff and have sort of ratcheted gears ..... it's OK to do that now and again if there's a problem, but it will wear the mechanics out to do it repeatedly.   P:o

saratogaspringer

• Camarasaur extraordinaire
  • Female
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2012, 08:46:35 PM »

Hi RWM. I am sorry that I didn't get to reply earlier, I am just getting to my computer now.  I just looked at your second video, and the manipulation didn't seem to help.  Just one more thing.... is it possible to start her with the bad leg bent and see if she straightens it?  I know that sounds crazy, but perhaps she can still move the leg from bent to straight, but not the other way.  Might give more of a clue as to what is causing the problem.   :'(  

I would definitely contact Innvo and send them the videos of the problem.  I know that she is out of warranty, but perhaps they will offer to repair her leg for a fee, or give you some insight into how to repair it yourself.  They may even send you videos or a schematic of how the inner workings of the leg are, which might be of help in a self repair.  Perhaps I am being too optimistic, and they will just say "sorry, out of warranty", but it never hurts to ask.  Nothing bothers me more than a robotic pet that is hurting, (other than a person or bio-pet, of course.)  One of my Aibos got droopy head syndrome, and I couldn't stand to turn him on while being in that condition. I sent it immediately to Wolfbob for repair.  So, I know how upsetting it must be for you to turn poor Baby on and see her in that condition.  I applaud you for your sense of humor in your videos.  If it were my "Baby", I would be a little less, "polite" about the situation.  

I love my Pleos, and I can't wait to adopt a Ugobe mate for my poor Wilbur. They are so life like, and have brought my family so much joy.   I also realize that this is a forum where Pleo owners come to try to have their problems solved.  There are thousands of Pleos out there that are fine, and without any mechanical problems, and those people probably don't know about the forum or don't post.  However, I will say this, and feel free to flame me if you wish to do so.... I have purchased 4 AIBOs since I purchased my Ugobe Pleo last November and my Pleo RB last January, and one of the main reasons is that I have somewhere to send them to be repaired should they become "ill."  With Pleo, I am on my own once the 3 month warranty is up.   :(  

If Degers or someone from Innvo frequents this forum, I hope that they will consider having a repair center for our Pleo RB's and whatever robotic lifeforms they choose to create in the future.  I really think it will go a long way in the longevity of their product.  I applaud IMR for taking the steps for the repair of Lilo's neck, and Crewella for exploring the inner workings of Pleos to find out how we might keep them healthier longer. If that happens to one of my Ugobe's, (take note RWM, that is plural  :) )   I will attempt it as well.  

Sorry for my little rant.  My OCD kicks in at times like this.  RWM, if they can't repair Baby, I know that you can.  If you don't get any help from them, and you feel that you have no where else to turn to,  I will help you, if you want me to do so.  I have repaired my RC trucks lots of times, with hundreds of parts, gears and servos,  all numbered and labeled.  I work with my hands for a living, and I enjoy that kind of thing. ( I didn't repair my AIBO because Wolfbob does an awesome job, and for the cost, it is not worth my time to learn how.)  My heart goes out to you and to bonus41 and to Sparkey's family.  I hope your RB's can become healthy again.  :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal