Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Dinosaur cruelty  (Read 7476 times)

MariaOcean

• Fossil savant
  • hk Female
  • Pleo(s): Furby
  • : Tomato Harvest Festivals
  • pleo will kick his butt!!!!
    • none
    • none
    • none
    • none
Dinosaur cruelty
« on: February 25, 2011, 05:47:36 PM »

do not watch , I warn you this may make you cry
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQUCd4SbgM0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQUCd4SbgM0</a>
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95MAyWE0ERk" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95MAyWE0ERk</a>

poor pleos :'( :'( :'(

good thing that pleo is not the only dinosaur that is getting a beating
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1ZqxVZ-xvY" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1ZqxVZ-xvY</a>
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhmDR_G9Xao" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhmDR_G9Xao</a>
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 08:22:08 AM by mweed »

What came first?
The Chicken or the egg?

RedwoodsMama

• Pleo Grand Master, 4th epoch
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Nova, Major Tom, Argyle the blind Pleo, Baby Ruth, Chester, and 22 more Pleos
  • : 2013 winner2010 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
Re: Dinosaur curalty
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 07:50:37 PM »

Hi, I saw both the top two videos  several times . ( the first one mostly.) When I saw the second one where it is Pleo being tortured like in an arena, I couldn't belive that someone would do this to a Pleo, esp having young children in the audience watching Poor Pleo being torn apart and bombarded by the other "machine", It was no contest. Pleo is a loving slow creature that is not capable of doing harm to another Pleo even. It is strange how some people get pleasure from posting videos like this. To me it is like " animal abuse", dog fighting, cock fighting, etc" all for "ENTERTAINMENT" purposes.
         The only thing about the last video is that I think in my opinion, that the mom,( I presume she is the mom) she should ask the little boy or her son to gently touch his head, nose etc. It may require more pressure to turn him on, but you can see towards the end, the little boy seems to be enjoying hitting the Dino on the nose. What if this were a live animal, a puppy or kitten, He may think it is ok to hit them that hard on the nose or back. that is the only complaint I have about the last one, after all, he is enthusiastic about this dinosaur and clearly likes playing with him, he just needs some guidance.
                                                                       RedwoodsMama
Animals are SOUL Too, Be kind to all those who live on this planet with us.

MariaOcean

• Fossil savant
  • hk Female
    • none
    • none
    • none
    • none
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 01:35:02 AM »

There is really kids that likes to sit on them
What came first?
The Chicken or the egg?

allosaurus

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2011, 06:51:56 AM »

I don't think it's that bad, honestly, only for the fact that I knew someone with serious anger issues who liked to take things out on robots and electronic toys. 
If she didn't, I can only imagine where I'd be today:  In the hospital with a broken head.

Don't you go telling me that it would've been better for her NOT to do that.

I do think the video with the ComBot could be considered rather unfortunate, though.  I like watching hunts and kills, but this is just ridiculous.

91/23Class

• Sugar cane harvester
  • Male
  • Well Hi there!
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2011, 07:44:45 AM »

I'm actually reading a philosophy book at the moment about consciousness etc. and this really does raise some interesting questions about AI rights; I realise that at this stage in AI development its hard to take their rights seriously, but surely at some point in the future we are going to have to define AI as alive (although personally I believe we are att he point at the moment), and when that happens, will we have a black/ white definition of 'life,' or will we be forced to back track in a way and start to consider more 'primitive' forms of AI in the same way; in short, once we do decide to classify AI as life, will we end up thinking even more so of earlier AIs as the same, or will there be a widely held opinion of 'This is life, this isn't...' my personally, being inclined to an almost anarchic view on human rights, I would say that no beings have a right to life or any other rights, and so when 'life' is not defined by any rights, the definition of life itself becomes blurred and in many ways, whether something is strictly 'alive' or not is irrelevant, it is each persons individual perception of life that is important, which in turn is irrelevant due to their lack of right to life or strictly defined 'life,' this upward definition spiral has a tendency to spiral out of control, which is precisely the point: no laws exist on the definition and rights of life, in other: anything can be alive or anything can't, it is simply a perception of it which matters. on the above videos then, I would say that the robots could very well be defined as life, on their intelligence compared to other beings which we think of as alive, and, though alive, they do not have rights according to my above opinion on that matter.
Yep, GCSE philosophy is goooood.... ^-^
Ploo is a cute name.
The owner needs to fix him.
Ploo is second hand.

Cool, huh?

latrine

• Pleo whisperer
  • Female
  • Gutless wonder
    • 'Not even close to being done yet'
Re: Dinosaur cruelty
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2011, 01:21:32 PM »

Wow.. I felt horrid when I had my pleo out in the cold and he started shivering... I can't imagine whats going through these 'people's' heads...

One good thing though..  the first video has a link along the bottom with a pleo cam, so you can see what he sees.. I was glad to see that after seeing that nasty stuff..

The thing with the kid.. ugh.. I would think having a toy that you interact with would be a good way for small children to learn how to treat people/animals...etc...  I know it's a small child but that mom doesn't seem to be doing a very good job..

I got my 2 nieces and 2 nephews one ugobe pleo and, surprisingly, they actually started to share... (my brother's new marriage brought in a lovely woman who is now my wonderful sister in law and 2 new little ones.. youngest is 4 and plays very carefully with Pleo.. In fact, while I was there.. I heard her tell one of the other kids to be more gentle or they might make Pleo cry and he was their baby.  :)  To me, that's teaching the kids good stuff and preparing them for maybe some other type of pet in the future, and .. 4 kids sharing?? lol..  ages 4, 8, 9, and 11 :)

- Sarah

degers

• Administrator
  • Pleo adept
  • gb Male
  • Degers can't be choosers
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2011, 04:16:45 PM »

Don't forget it was actually Ugobe employees who put Pleo in the ring with the combot.  Thats something to think about.

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
  • Pleo(s): Iggy, Budge, Moschops, Monty, Emmy. Belle, Zillah, Tribble
  • : 2010 winnerTomat Harvest Festivals
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2011, 04:19:37 PM »

I didn't know that!!  :o :o

I like things like 'robot wars', but I also like a fair fight ............... >:(

kat

• Pleo Grand Master, 2nd epoch
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Kermit (Pink RB), Norbit (Green RB), Pickle(nude RB), Gumble, Minyon and Frankie
  • : 2013 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2011, 04:31:02 PM »

Wow.  So what were they thinking? :-X :o
Maybe they were looking for a new way to test the endurance and quality of their product? :P
Still very mean of them.  Poor little pleo.  He didn't stand a chance. :'(

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2011, 05:07:19 PM »

Actually, when I first saw that video I did think poor little Pleo lasted a lot longer than might be expected.  :(

Malfie

• Fossil savant
  • Female
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2011, 06:13:09 PM »

That's shocking behaviour by Ugobe employees :(

I couldn't even watch that second video to the end :'(

allosaurus

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2011, 06:19:38 PM »

As for the Combot vs Pleo, to explain Ugobe's behavior there, I can't help but think of when someone cooks an AMAZING turkey for their family to eat, then decides they don't want it after all that effort making it for some reason.  What, I heard it was the smell of the turkey while cooking that causes that?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 07:13:34 AM by allosaurus »

PleoPet

• Pleontologist
  • Female
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2011, 11:36:36 AM »

re: Ugobe Pleo murder
Commentary (IIRC)
I wasn't at MakerFaire, but the way I remember the original coverage (and the aftermath on the old forum) - late 2007/early 2008.

UGOBE donated the Pleo to the show. Someone else decided to throw it in the arena.
Also UGOBE gave away Pleos to reviewers. The reviewers abused them (even worse than the first video) and it got a lot of coverage on the web.
Bad choice of PR
http://www.engadget.com/2008/05/09/ugobe-shocked-and-appalled-by-destruction-of-pleo-at-maker-fai/

At the time owners and soon-to-be owners were upset. After spending $300 on theirs, many still waiting to get the already delayed robot - the people who got the free robots didn't even give them a chance to grow up ;-<
---
But on the bright side:
Pleo is well designed to handle abuse. You can throw them around a lot. The clutch mechanism is well designed. It is also designed to react when abused (holding by the tail etc). Don't go crazy since the skin is more fragile than the robot itself.
The new PleoRB has an acceleration sensor, so it can detect falls better than the old ones. The threshold is set rather high, so it is difficult to pretend injure your Pleo (which can be fixed if you are nice to him afterward), and hopefully even harder to really injure it.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 11:40:36 AM by PleoPet »

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2011, 12:08:06 PM »

I thought I remembered reading about the 'ruckus' after the event.  :(

Thanks for elaborating, and for the RB info.  It's good to know it's not that easy to hurt them.  :)

latrine

• Pleo whisperer
  • Female
  • Gutless wonder
    • 'Not even close to being done yet'
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2011, 02:53:34 PM »

I still think those people are nuts...Glad to hear it wasn't actually the total fault of the company but.. come on.. what did they think was going to happen.. what use was a gentle robot at a place for folks who are building remote control robots to destroy each other..

And I'm a horrible cook but I have Italian in me from my mom, and there were many times she made these huge meals fit for an army.. for all 4 of us..  :D  But then she wasn't hungry and we all really did think it had to do with the smell. 

- Sarah

MariaOcean

• Fossil savant
  • hk Female
    • none
    • none
    • none
    • none
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2011, 05:19:31 AM »

Ok, not really cruel
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFUAAtOctu8" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFUAAtOctu8</a>
What came first?
The Chicken or the egg?

Talon

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Cato and Samantha (Pleo RB‘s), Eugobe, Terry, Cuddles, Bleu (Ugobe Pleos)
    • Lucy
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2011, 09:16:03 AM »

I read that you could play catch with them in the manual but... I'd be hesitant to try it. It just seems kind of like taking a Machbook Air and throwing it around just because it's supposed to be durable. Maybe it is fun to do this with a pleo but I probably won't try it beyond sort of pretending to throw it while keeping a very good grip on it.
Talon
Talon
Find me on YouTube at Crazy Robot Lady

RedwoodsMama

• us Female
  • Pleo(s): Nova, Major Tom, Argyle the blind Pleo, Baby Ruth, Chester, and 22 more Pleos
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2011, 10:58:00 AM »

That was strange but kind of cruel in that Pleo couldn't reach his or her leaf. I thought at first and expected seeing what looked like a "cage" that somone was going to turn on some electricity or something and electrocute Pleo, then I realized there was the leaf....shows where my thoughts were when I saw the wording, 'dinosaur cruelty." What I would be worried about though is that Pleo may hurt himself in that cage, and break his neck perhaps, Pleos necks, the older ones anyway, are notorious for getting broken necks quite easily. I am glad he didn't get too hurt..just hungery perhaps. :D
               As for tossing Pleos around and them not getting hurt, I am not all that confident that I may drop Pleo and or it could slip out of my hands and I would not want to take that chance, it could also traumatize the poor thing!
                                                                  RedwoodsMama
             Oh, Thanks MariaOcean for posting that one, I don't know if it is brand new but it is one I haven't seen so thank you! :)

Talon

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Cato and Samantha (Pleo RB‘s), Eugobe, Terry, Cuddles, Bleu (Ugobe Pleos)
    • Lucy
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2011, 01:07:52 PM »

That's true, Redwoods. Ryu will probably spend most of his life with all four feet on the ground. He doesn't seem to like being held much. I'm not sure if it's how I'm holding him or if he doesn't like heights. His reaction makes me feel kind of like I'm scaring him. I hold him with my hand under his belly and with the other on his back as the manual instructs. He acts like a dog when it's held in the air. He wildly wiggles his feet, raises his tail and looks madly around and screams. I quickly return him to the floor and he settles down again. Are you supposed to sort of put them up against you or something?
Talon
Talon
Find me on YouTube at Crazy Robot Lady

Comarorobotcollector

• Pleozoologist
  • 00 Male
  • Pleo(s): Comaro,Cosmic,Bambi,Pumpkin,Gator
  • jdhv
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2011, 02:42:16 PM »

We need robot rights activests because people are going to keep abusing robotic pets and toybots i have all 3 of those and i think the Monty Rex will be alright but the Pleos and D-Rex are fragile and should not be treated like peaces of trash i rescue animals,robots,and toybots so i think i can save that poor D-rex and possibly this pleo in this video.In the beginning it is ok but then they abuse it and asult him. :'(. but the ending is satisfying.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYf2DTpymN8&feature=related

RedwoodsMama

• us Female
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2011, 03:25:54 PM »

Hi, I also rescue animals and have loved them all my life and also am a vegeatarian. I hate it when people abuse animals and esp if they get away with it, saying, "it is only an animal.". Today a cat, dog, rabbit, rat or what ever, tommrow it can be a child, or mom or some other person, I know as I worked as a preschool teacher for many years and being a teacher you are a mandated child abuse reporter, on or off the job, I have seen many not only animal abusers, but wife beaters and child abusers. It all starts with the small and innocent and unprotected.
              Pleo may be thought of as a "toy" but the fact somone thinks it is fun to tortue or abuse these "things" shows a mentality that can be just in fun or not so good taste, but also sometimes something deeper. I believe this one was made in fun, and it obvious to see the fun these people had making this, so it reminds me more of a spoof video which is not so bad and was fun to see the ending, Pleo getting even. I do not like some of the other ones though where Pleo is just torn apart for amusement,  :( I did enjoy seeing this as it was new to me.
                                                            RedwoodsMama

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2011, 06:19:26 PM »

I'd not seen the 'Pleo's revenge' video either - loved it!  Go Pleo!!  >:D

Comarorobotcollector

• Pleozoologist
  • 00 Male
  • jdhv
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2011, 07:14:15 PM »

That is cool i am a vegetarian too. ;). and your right it douse start with animal abuse or pleo abuse. :'(

MariaOcean

• Fossil savant
  • hk Female
    • none
    • none
    • none
    • none
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2011, 01:50:33 AM »

thanks Comarorobotcollector I was trying to find that video :)
What came first?
The Chicken or the egg?

Comarorobotcollector

• Pleozoologist
  • 00 Male
  • jdhv
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2011, 03:26:20 PM »

Your welcome i am glad to help. ;D
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal