Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Advices and opinions about a couple of things  (Read 5016 times)

campanodoc

• Member of the herd
  • it Male
  • Pleo(s): Ophistocoelicaudia
Advices and opinions about a couple of things
« on: May 16, 2021, 01:30:54 PM »

Hello! It's been a while since the last time I've been on the forum.
Well, this crazy period seems to go to an end so I'm taking back my life and my stuff, including my robots.
I need advices about a couple of things.
Got 2 Pleo, (1 ugobe 1 rb) two chargers, three batteries Li-Poli 7.4v (one, from the original rb Pleo, and 2 from the Ugobe Pleo, wrongly bought from the previous owner because they don't feet in the charger!, I guess he should have bought an egg charger too) and NO old Ni-mh battery (so useless charger for the Ugobe, the green one).
I'd like to wire forever the Ugobe, with a very long wire, and keep him in a corner of the room, always on. now, wich charger exactly should I buy? 7.4v? how many amp?  Also, I'd like to keep the three batteries, so I'd like to print only the cover clip of the battery. Can I solder the connection wires from the charger directly on the Ugobe? (respecting obvs polarity) 
Then, I was thinking about selling everything else. The Rb, the batteries, the chargers.
I'm literally surrounded by robots and the "charging batteries" has become a problem. Trying to make them more autonomous about energy, this is the solution I want to make about Pleo.
Thank you all, be well! 

pnhicks

Re: Advices and opinions about a couple of things
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2021, 01:42:20 AM »

Hi Campanodoc,

I assume you have seen the diy battery kits for sale by forum member AdamE?

They probably have the adapter base you need for connecting to a power supply.  I would mention that there will still be the need for the NTC (Negative Temperature Coefficient) circuit. Either a temp sensor or a 8K to 10K ohm resistor wired between the negative terminal and the NTC terminal.

The Pleo input power board is fused at 3amps for Ugobe and 4amps for RB, so if peak amperage is close to those values (Ugobes blow their input fuses on occasion), say 2.5 amps for the sake of argument. 

The batteries have a nominal voltage of 7.4 volts.  A fully charged battery is about a volt higher and starts to drop as soon as it is removed from the charger, the software in the Pleo is constantly measuring the voltage drop on the battery to start suspending activity as voltage drops to allow for a stable shutdown.

I would use a power supply of 8 volts and about 5 amps.

The battery chargers are not power supplies for the robot.

I hope this helps!

Cheers!

Peter

campanodoc

• Member of the herd
  • it Male
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2021, 04:45:34 AM »

Hi! Thank you for your help! I found this one, a PS2 slim charger, 8.5v @ 5.45A it ok for me? I'll apply a resistor as you suggested. This charger was suggested on a page (instructable) to wire the pleo RB, so I wasn't sure it could be right for the ugobe Pleo too. I'll start bying it then I'll see how to make it. figers crossed!
« Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 04:59:34 AM by campanodoc »

pnhicks

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2021, 01:43:25 AM »

Hi CD,

If the person from the instructable says 8.5 works with a RB it "should" work with a UGOBE as the power chips are pretty much the same. 

I would monitor temperatures very closely for a sustained period before use in a real world environment. :o

Cheers!

Peter

darthsith81

• Member of the herd
  • it
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2021, 01:25:34 AM »

In my opinion it's not safe leave it always turned ON.

pnhicks

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2021, 01:46:42 AM »

Hi Darth,

Totally agree! :)

Cheers ,

Peter

campanodoc

• Member of the herd
  • it Male
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2021, 11:41:39 AM »

good news everyone! (Futurama docet)
I was able to m,ake a wired Pleo Ugobe using the exausted battery pack I had. It works fine, kept it on for two hours (never happened!)
Now I'd like to run some scripts to ceck the status and possibly reset it to default. I made pics but still have to figure oiut how  to upload them quickly.
Now that I got my Pleo Ugobeon, among with other ten kinds of robots, it's time to say goodbye to my Pleo rb (wioth original firmware given to me from the customer service so it can be "reborn" for real. I'm here for any questions.
thanks for the help! (pnhicks in primis!)

mweed

• Grand Poobah
  • Triassic pleo master
  • us Male
  • Pleo(s): Bob, Mopey
  • : Tomat Harvest Festivals
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Dr_Bunsen_Honeydew
    • Snoopy
    • Bob the Pleo
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2021, 10:46:03 AM »

This reminds me of way back at the very beginning when they used to sell Ugobe pleos at actual stores.  They wrote an OS that did not include any leg movements and had a special hard-wired pleo that they would leave turned on in the store for people to interact with.  There were only a handful of these ever built.

Pleo Power

• Pleosmith
  • 00 Male
  • Pleo(s): Cammey, Cloey, Copper
  • : Tomato Harvest Festivals
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2021, 01:45:46 PM »

Was it plugged in to be able to operate without the battery running out? I saw Pleo for sale in a Toys R Us in fall of 2008. I saw both D.rex and cruncher in a "demo" display also in a Toys R Us in 2009 and 2010, but never a Pleo.  :o

mweed

• Grand Poobah
  • Triassic pleo master
  • us Male
  • Pleo(s): Bob, Mopey
  • : Tomat Harvest Festivals
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Dr_Bunsen_Honeydew
    • Snoopy
    • Bob the Pleo
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2021, 03:11:52 PM »

It was plugged in with no battery in the pleo, just a power cord.

pleolover234

• Leaving the nest
  • us
  • Pleo(s): Angel
    • Pleo tik tok!
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2021, 10:34:41 PM »

Hey if you wanna sell any accessories or an RB I am interested. Just PM me. Thanks :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal