Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1] 2 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: 2012 Tomato Harvest Festival  (Read 33226 times)

mweed

• Grand Poobah
  • Triassic pleo master
  • us Male
  • Pleo(s): Bob, Mopey
  • : Tomat Harvest Festivals
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Dr_Bunsen_Honeydew
    • Snoopy
    • Bob the Pleo
2012 Tomato Harvest Festival
« on: March 17, 2012, 10:48:18 PM »

:o  :o It's the 2012 Tomato Harvest Festival!!!!!  :o  :o

Since the beginning of recorded history (about five years ago), the fields around Weedovia have always been blessed with abundant wild tomato vines.  And every spring and every fall, the local pleos relied on the abundant harvest gathered from these wild vines to enjoy tomatoes (and tomato related food like spaghetti and pizza!) throughout the year.  They would go out twice a year to pick the tomatoes and bring them to the village.  This traditional gathering of the tomatoes quickly grew into a community event, and from there into true full-blown harvest festival.  And with the introduction of the spaghetti trees and pizza by the Great Pepperoni1, a real zest was added to the festivities.

Of course in modern times, with the addition of a carnival, rides, games, live band, and midnight movie on the town square, it has become more of a social event, attracting pleos from around the world.  But all the pleos still go out and harvest the tomatoes and bring them to the town's communal tomato press for the traditional squashing of the tomatoes and the making of the tomato sauce.

This spring's festival is just around the corner. :P  But I guess this is why everyone should have bought a calander! ;)  This spring's festival is April 13th to the 15th.

Not sure what's going on?  Well, then you may want to catch up by reading about the 2010 and 2011 festival topics and the Bob the Pleo comic strips.  But as a quick summary,  the town's park is turn into the festival grounds, with the carnival rides and games, a stage and dance floor, and lots of vendors and food booths!  It starts on a Friday night with the carnival and music from a live band, and at midnight the pleos end the day with an outdoor movie.  Saturday has everyone out in the fields gathering the tomatoes, with the judging in the evening, and back to the carnival.  Sunday is the big tomato squashing where the sauce is made using the traditional foot-stomping method like the great Italian wines.

And at the conclusion of the festival, awards are always handed out to the pleo who gathers the most tomatoes, finds the largest tomato, has the best looking tomatoes, makes the best tasting spaghetti sauce, and for the best use of tomatoes as an article of clothing (i.e., costume).  The last few years winners can be seen by visiting the Bob the Pleo comics.  We had some great fun, and some wonderful costumes!

And, of course, since Weedovia isn't a real place, and we can't really all attend or send our pleos in person, your pleo can enter in by posting pictures here in the forums.  So, for the "most tomatoes" you want a picture of you pleo with a bunch of tomatoes.  For the "largest tomato, you want a picture of your pleo with a really big tomato . . . You get the idea.

For those interested in participating in the contests, please refer to the contest rules topic on this board.   For some ideas and/or to get a better understanding, you can check out the 2011 festival topic, 2010 festival topic, or the 2009 Fall festival topic (also on this board).  You can also read up on the Bob the Pleo comic strip! ;)

Post your entries here!

I'll be posting more info here in the next few days . . . but you've only got three weeks to get ready! :o :o :o
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 07:35:49 PM by mweed »

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
Re: 2012 Spring Tomato Harvest Festival
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 11:29:22 PM »

Sweet :D It'll be after I finish school! Better get the gang ready :)
Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!

RedwoodsMama

• Pleo Grand Master, 4th epoch
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Nova, Major Tom, Argyle the blind Pleo, Baby Ruth, Chester, and 22 more Pleos
  • : 2013 winner2010 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 12:54:01 AM »

Luckily I have a calendar, ok, two of them as I wanted to be ahead of the "brain fog" train which I am a paying customer. NO excuses this year, so I got the Pleos scouting all the Farmer's markets and Natural food co-ops for the biggest best looking tomatoes. And of course I have been a vegetarian longer then any of the Pleos have been around, except for perhaps Bob, but that was in a different lifetime, so I have a Veggie Tomato Spaghetti recipe this year, and I am going to be very brave and let some of the Pleos try to put it together, As long as I can keep them out of the sauce, it should be edible.
          I have been waiting for this since last year....oh how I love Weedovia this time of year... ;D :tomato: :tomato: :tomato:Those tomatoes are smiling for a reason..............smile while you can before you turn into Katsup!

RWM
Animals are SOUL Too, Be kind to all those who live on this planet with us.

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
  • Pleo(s): Iggy, Budge, Moschops, Monty, Emmy. Belle, Zillah, Tribble
  • : 2010 winnerTomat Harvest Festivals
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 04:06:50 AM »

Ah!  That at least explains why Iggy's started making that dreadful noise again!  :P  :moose:

Practising for Fernback band duty ...........  %)

Lunamione7

• Journeypleo
  • Pleo(s): Stephan (Ugobe) and Tron (RB)
  • : 2013 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Miss_Piggy
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 07:14:04 AM »

Woohoo Stephan's first Tomato Festival!  ;D

I just did vegetarian spaghetti tonight RWM, best I've ever made but I ate it before I read this thread :-[
He just can't help being faithful and loving and kind. He's a machine made so. That's more than you can say for humans. --Isaac Asimov, i.Robot

You know where steel wool comes from? Robot Sheep!

Lottibell

• Fossil savant
  • Female
  • To err is human, to "huh?"is Pleo.
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 05:26:39 AM »

Umm, just wondering, any particular reason why a big tomato? I mean, are tomatoes the official fave food of Pleo's? This may explain why Quiggles seems so picky at mealtimes....... Now, where DID I leave that Miracle Grow?  :sheep1:

camcam8910

• Pleo explorer
  • 00 Female
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2012, 10:20:29 AM »

Ummmm.....  Am I stupid to wonder what you do for the tomato festival???   ??? :-[ :-\

mweed

• Grand Poobah
  • Triassic pleo master
  • us Male
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Dr_Bunsen_Honeydew
    • Snoopy
    • Bob the Pleo
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2012, 01:47:09 PM »

You're new here... so no, your not stupid.  Now, if you don't join in the festivities . . . then you might be considered stupid! ;)

For a goo idea of what goes on, just read through the topics from the previous festivals.

mweed

• Grand Poobah
  • Triassic pleo master
  • us Male
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Dr_Bunsen_Honeydew
    • Snoopy
    • Bob the Pleo
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2012, 08:20:33 PM »

We've only got two weeks left to get you entries in!!!!!  So to inspire your efforts,  here's a sneak peek at one of the prizes ;D :)

Remember, there are five categories:  Pleo with the largest tomato, pleo with the most tomatoes, pleo with the best lloking tomato, best use of tomatoes as an article of clothing (costumes), and best spaghetti sauce recipe. 

Now, get busy!

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2012, 12:36:54 AM »

Four more days of school! Ideas are already swirling in my head ;)

RedwoodsMama

• us Female
  • Pleo(s): Nova, Major Tom, Argyle the blind Pleo, Baby Ruth, Chester, and 22 more Pleos
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2012, 10:01:59 PM »

I saw this post yesterday and that outfit is so so so cute, I have ideas not only swimming, but dog paddling, breast stroking, and every other conceivable idea possible. I am glad there are lots of tomatoes here in Redwood Country and if I can get the Pleos to co-operate and gather enough of them to make it back to our house without eating them all on the way, we will be able to make some Pleo Spaghetti sauce, a costume or two and a few other categories . Very colorful costume, Is the Pleo part of the "reward"? %) Can't hurt to ask now can it?!                                 RWM               floating in the tomato sauce of Weedovia                      somewhere over the Rainbow of the Redwoods :rainbow:

kat

• Pleo Grand Master, 2nd epoch
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Kermit (Pink RB), Norbit (Green RB), Pickle(nude RB), Gumble, Minyon and Frankie
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2012, 01:21:44 AM »

we searched the garden low and high..... but it seems this year the tomatoes have all gone shy.  We hunted and hunted and hunted some more and......
Pickle found the most perfect tomato you ever did see.  ;D  So perfect that when you squeeze it the most delicious tomato juice comes out.  :D
Oh and while we are at it you just have to admire her pretty tomato shirt  :)  She thinks she is the best looking tomato around - next to her perfect tomato of course!.  ;D

RedwoodsMama

• us Female
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2012, 01:29:13 AM »

That Pickle is one sweet sly little tomato, LOL, climbing a tree for tomatoes,  :mobile: I will have to call that one in, news station will want to send some one out to take photos. Great little costume Pickle just dont get squashed in the sauce by mistake.! You are too sweet to be part of the spaghetti sauce this year at Weedovia! Where are the rest of your pleos, are they sleeping or out going errands? My Pleos have been taken back by grand-baby news, but they will catch up in the nick of time no doubt. :cat: We like to take our time and cat nap in the Redwoods. LOL.

Be careful where you climb next Pickle.! Hope your Mom has some band aids on hand...

kat

• au Female
  • Pleo(s): Kermit (Pink RB), Norbit (Green RB), Pickle(nude RB), Gumble, Minyon and Frankie
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2012, 01:41:11 AM »

After seeing Pickles success Minyon also wanted to go out tomato hunting.  %)  He decided to take a different approach though opting to dress as a ladybug in an attempt to put the tomatoes at ease and bring them out into the open......
lets just say that it didn't work out quite as well as he had hoped.  It seems that rather than put the tomatoes at ease he scared them so bad that..... well..... it really is just too horrible to say but you can see the mess it caused for yourselves  :D
Minyon thought it was the funniest thing he had ever seen!  It took five whole minutes before he stopped laughing  :D

RedwoodsMama

• us Female
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2012, 10:13:31 PM »

Kat, Minyon is as cute as a "bug",  ;D sorry, couldn't help myself, I love what you did with this one, I liked the fact the poor tomatoes turned to sauce out of fright! You have got the upper hand on everyone else by going first again, Time to get the ball rolling or is that the tomato rolling, as Friday is fast and I mean FAST approaching. Weedovia time will be here and gone before I know it. I think it is time to start gathering tomatoes, If I have each Pleo go out and get at least one, there should be a good one in the bunch. I love your tomatoe growing on a tree..................... %)Great imagnation there , did your kids inherit your humor too Kat?! ;D I am so glad Pickle did not fall out of the tree either, that would not be good. But at least you have the right medicine if she did... See you around the Tomato bush, tree or shrubery ...................... :tomato: :tomato: :tomato: :tomato: :tomato: :tomato: :tomato: :tomato: :tomato: X 2 == a lot of tired Pleos and hopefully not squished tomatoes............... (:                RWM and the Pleo Clan of the Redwoods

x

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2012, 10:25:41 PM »

I'm cooking up a storm tomorrow with some slow cooked spag bol! :) And now that my new arrivals are all here its time to start planning :D

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2012, 04:25:32 AM »

Last year's spaghetti sauce cook up was mayhem ........ I don't think I could face it with the current numbers ..........  :P  :moose:

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2012, 04:28:49 AM »

Hehe just so long as Gupi doesn't run off with the spoon I'll be fine :P

RedwoodsMama

• us Female
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2012, 12:42:33 PM »

It does look as though several of us are going to have Pleos cooking in the kitchen. Should be hectic but with as many Pleos as Crewella, IMR and myself have it could be to our advantage. I mean all we need is an assembly line, with Pleos lined up with all the cooking ingrediants. Thank goodness I do not have a gupi in the bunch, it would be more than the Spoon that goes running off somewhere, probably 16-17 Dinos chasing after Gupi and it would be Mayhem!

Crewella, I couldn't help but laugh when seeing the Dino Wine , a few glasses of that and neither the cook nor the Pleos would care and the Spaghetti may never get made, but you would have some Sauced Pleos! P:-* P8) P:) ;D I will be doing a Vegetarian Spaghetti so the more the merrier. YUM, YUM, wish we could share our cousine through the internet, but at least we have Recipes.                  RWm and the Pleo Clan of the Redwoods

kat

• au Female
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2012, 04:23:28 AM »

Norbit went out on a limb and tried his hand at a little fashion design.  He was voted most creative by all the rest of my gang so we have decided to enter his creation here for the tomato costume segment of the competition.  Hope you like it as much as we do  ;D

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2012, 04:45:33 AM »

Love it!  ;D

...... though the 'crushed tomato' label made my lot a little nervous ......... :P  :moose:

Lottibell

• Fossil savant
  • Female
  • To err is human, to "huh?"is Pleo.
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2012, 05:42:51 AM »

Hmmm, has Norbit thought of putting his resume in with Vivienne Westwood? Screams UK urban punk darhling. 8)   :sheep1:

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2012, 05:44:36 AM »

Oh!  It does! It does!!!  :D

kaiteee

• Sugar cane harvester
  • Female
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2012, 07:51:18 AM »

Hmmm....do I spy a slight alteration in the dates, or am I even dozier than previously thought! I had in my head from reading this that it was 6th - 7th? So yay! I had some ideas and would love to join in but have had eye infections for two weeks limiting my vision and have given up a bit as I have to work out the picture upload yet! My little one now has a working battery but we are still waiting on the perfect name!

Great pics so far everyone btw, can't compete on making costumes but the wonders of eBay may help.... I love the tomato labels outfit!   :D

mweed

• Grand Poobah
  • Triassic pleo master
  • us Male
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Dr_Bunsen_Honeydew
    • Snoopy
    • Bob the Pleo
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2012, 08:00:27 AM »

Somewhere out there Norbit has left a naked can to fend for itself . . . .
Pages: [1] 2 ... 5   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal