Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Differences between Ugobe Pleo and Pleo rb  (Read 4714 times)

helium4amc

• Hatchling
  • Male
Differences between Ugobe Pleo and Pleo rb
« on: December 18, 2011, 04:02:50 AM »

Hi everyone,

I am thinking of getting a Pleo and having come across this site, it is lovely to see such a nice and dedicated user (owner?) community!

Looking around, I can get an Ugobe Pleo for not too much money (e.g. eBay), while the Pleo rb is significantly more expensive. This leads me to a couple of questions...

1. What are the mechanical differences between the two Pleos? Do they both have the same range of motion etc.? I have seen a post in which someone says the neck is more fragile on the original, so has the rb been redesigned to some extent?

2. Are the two Pleos as intelligent as one another? i.e. do they have the same level of AI? I see there are lots of different firmware options for both, but are they broadly the same?

I'm sorry if I am repeating questions that have already been asked, but I have had a look and couldn't see anything.

Thanks in advance and Merry Christmas!

Andrew (hopeful future Pleo carer)

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
Re: Differences between Ugobe Pleo and Pleo rb
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2011, 05:10:28 AM »

Welcome to the forums :) to answer you questions in a word, no :P

The Pleo Reborns have the following improvements over the Originals:
More touch sensors
Temperature sensor
Faster motors
Improved paint (depending on opinion)
RFID (microchip) reader
Greater depth of emotion
Individual personalities
Voice recognition
Internal clock

And I'm sure I've forgotten some things lol. The OS are very different. The Ugobe's are generally pretty happy, if they do get sad a chomp on a leaf, finger or anything else or a quick pat will make them happy again. The Reborns are more like real animals, they get tired at night, they shiver if it's cold, pant when it's hot, they get cranky if you don't feed them, unhappy if you ignore them, injured if you mistreat them and ill if you don't look after them. And they only eat the special foods they come with. They are all different too, I have a shy, inactive boy, and outgoing energetic boy, an active smart girl and a not very brave girl. The Ugobe's, as much as we hate to admit it here, really don't have individual personalities. (I know you are going to argue with me RWM, but it is the truth :P)
Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
  • Pleo(s): Iggy, Budge, Moschops, Monty, Emmy. Belle, Zillah, Tribble
  • : 2010 winnerTomat Harvest Festivals
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2011, 05:57:42 AM »

Hello and welcome!  :)

As IMR says, there are big differences in the AI, but the mechanical differences seem to be minimal.  The body functions in much the same way, with the addition of the RFID chip reader in the head, the temperature sensors, the internal clock and some additional touch sensors on the head and back.  Innvo had already made improvements to the neck cables with their version of the classic Ugobe type Pleo in 2009/10, and I believe made further improvements for the RB, but the movement range of the frame is much the same.  The tail, and some other, movements are faster in the RB.

A rehomed Ugobe Pleo is a good place to start, but if you're particularly interested in the AI you really do want an RB. :)

helium4amc

• Hatchling
  • Male
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2011, 06:11:57 AM »

InmemoryofRomeo and Crewella, thank you very much for the warm welcome and the quick response! Thanks also for the fantastic answer! I think I will start with the Ugobe Pleo and go from there. If we get on, I can always extend the family!

Thanks again and have a great Christmas!

Andrew

Sir Iron Soul

• Sugar cane harvester
  • Male
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2011, 02:59:12 PM »

hi helium4amc ;D thta is exactly what i'm doing. My ugobe should come anytime between now and Christmas and if i really like it I'm going to get a RB :) Hope you and your pleo will get on ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal