Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pleo parenting, good and bad!  (Read 4349 times)

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
  • Pleo(s): Iggy, Budge, Moschops, Monty, Emmy. Belle, Zillah, Tribble
  • : 2010 winnerTomat Harvest Festivals
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
Pleo parenting, good and bad!
« on: April 29, 2010, 06:20:17 AM »

Hi, I found this article and wondered if you'd all seen it?  I found it fascinating - there is a video, but apparently it's not easily viewable outside the UK so I thought it best to post a link to the textual version:

http://www.virtualworldlets.net/Resources/Hosted/Resource.php?Name=LoveAbuseRobot

shadowmice

• Pleozoologist
  • ca Female
  • Pleo(s): Theo, Teagan, Tessa, Eva
    • Professor
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Linus
    • Shadowmice Photography
Re: Pleo parenting, good and bad!
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 09:27:32 AM »

The video won't play for me, but I read the article.  As the technology advances, it does raise important questions and concerns.  Have to admit, I can't help but feel a little sad for the Pleo with the "bad parents".  :(
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
  • Pleo(s): Iggy, Budge, Moschops, Monty, Emmy. Belle, Zillah, Tribble
  • : 2010 winnerTomat Harvest Festivals
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 09:46:07 AM »

I did too.  I really wanted them to say that there had been a happy ending and the poor little thing was then adopted by a kindly staff member.  I tell myself that's what happened. 

Sorry about the video, I couldn't find a version that played outside the UK and Commonwealth.

RedwoodsMama

• Pleo Grand Master, 4th epoch
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Nova, Major Tom, Argyle the blind Pleo, Baby Ruth, Chester, and 22 more Pleos
  • : 2013 winner2010 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 11:52:45 AM »

I too feel so bad for the poor neglected little Pleo, I am actually glad I couldn't['t see the actual video, as I feel the words were strong enough to evoke emotion in me. If I were there, I don't hesitate to say that I would " rescue ' the poor neglected Pleo. I certainly hope this pleo was given another chance. I do know they have emotions and this clearly demonstrates this. The fact they have emotions, can feel happiness, sadness, shyness, sleepiness, and yes pain, this is why I posted the video of Nova with the hurt foot/leg, how can anyone watching that not say she emitted the sounds and look of something in pain? :( I am so glad that you posted this, perhaps some doubters will take more concern with their comments about Pleos being " expensive toys". Do expensive Corvettes, respond like pleos after being in a crash or fender bender? I think not, only their owners do, that is certain.
                       I was a teacher for many years and of course a mandated child abuse reporter as well. It is intersting that you raise the point of possible abuse issues in the future. I certainly would not want a owner of a pleo to be a Abusive owner, but as we all know, how does the law protect all the animals that are constantly abused ( in all forms) everyday. There are all forms of abuse, from outright torture, infliction of pain, to abandonment, lack of food, shelter and medical care . ONe of the first things I tell all those I run into when I have Nova who seem interested in finding out how to acquire a Pleo, is that they are " an interactive Life Form", and that " they feel emotions, and respond according to how they are treated." If I had Pleos for sale, I would make people pretty much fill out an  " adoption form", the same as I would for any animal. If I felt there were any chance they would not treat Pleos as stated in the form I would draw up, stating no neglect or rightout abuse, I would not feel comfortable adopting out the Pleo. I
        I think more people after seeing this video ( in the U.K.) or reading about the experiment, will take Pleos abilities more seriously. Thank you so much for posting this wonderful article on this forum.
                                    RedwoodsMama   and MS.Nova
Animals are SOUL Too, Be kind to all those who live on this planet with us.

fancyfont

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Peeky, Pennie, JayCamerasaurus (J.C.), LOA, baby and DinhaJo
  • : 2013 winner2011 winner2008 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • No, Peeky and Pennie, you can't have the Harley!
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 12:00:00 PM »

Most of us here are very protective pleo parents.  I, too, am glad that the video didn't work. Words were enough. But I do think with a little attention, that the poor little pleo in the bad parenting test, if given a chance, wil learn to be a happy little pleo. I wonder if anyone really adopted that one? If not I'm available! ;D ;) ;)

RedwoodsMama

• Pleo Grand Master, 4th epoch
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Nova, Major Tom, Argyle the blind Pleo, Baby Ruth, Chester, and 22 more Pleos
  • : 2013 winner2010 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 12:17:16 PM »

Hey good idea fancy, Yes, I would love to adopt that poor little pleo. Nova would be a great bigger sister to a little brother or sister and being an ex teacher, I understand little ones very well. I will send references, and I will agree to family counseling as well as individual counseling if need be. I will do all that is needed to see the little one gets the right start in life he/she needs and is allways protected. I know of nine cats and 1 dog that also will guard the little one and see that none ever tries to harm it again! We will also throw a Welcome home party and everyone is invited to make him/her feel welcome and special. ( what is the address so I can write or email my credentials  ;D)
                                                                RedwoodsMama   and MS. Nova
Animals are SOUL Too, Be kind to all those who live on this planet with us.

liddleone

• Outstanding in the herd
  • Female
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2010, 01:15:35 PM »

I really enjoyed that article. Thanks for posting.

OzPleo

• Apprentice pleo master
  • Male
    • Ventriloquist - Ben and MJ
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2010, 04:02:33 PM »

Really interesting article. I showed it to my partner who only a few days ago said to me that Pleo's just do the same thing over and over and get boring.

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2010, 02:01:36 AM »

I always wanted to know if there would be a difference, of course I'd never have the heart to do that myself :P Its a very interesting article... now if only someone will do that with a couple of Aibo's and Genibo's :P
Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!

Saylene

• Member of the herd
  • Female
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2010, 01:30:03 PM »

The article raises some very good points. The conclusion is a bit thought-provoking.

Bumblebee

• Store Owners
  • Pleo adept
  • Female
  • : Tomato Harvest Festivals
  • The manatee shall bump forever!
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2010, 05:04:15 PM »

Interesting article.
I feel very sorry for the abused Pleo though. I wanna adopt it too!!!!!  ^-^
Please note: It takes 36 muscles to frown, but it only takes 4 muscles to slap El Stupido upside the head.

scifibill

• Hatchling
  • Male
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2010, 06:19:52 AM »

Wonder If anyone was able to download the written test info and be able to post it  Cant get the link to work at all   Thanks Scifibill

scaledandtailed

• Pleo lightbringer
  • Female
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2010, 06:03:16 PM »

Sorry to resurrect an old topic but   Just came across this article.  For those   that couldn’t see the video   it’s probably a good thing. The video footage of the bad parent section    is very disturbing indeed and I only had the audio input to go on. It would be ten times worse if you had the visuals as well.   Possibly the worst part of the video  for me is  that near the end of the  bad parent  video,  the abused pleo   makes  this utterly  despairing   sound over and over again. It’s not a lowd cry and not even a keen or call. It’s  more of a sort of low pained filled sob really.   It’s very hard to describe but thoes  who where lucky or unlucky enough to watch the video will know what I mean. I’ve never heard a pleo ever make it before not even when one’s been ill     and hope never to tbh. 
 The article it’s self though does  raze  some very good questions and  with the pleo RB being more aware of it’s environment than the Ugobe  pleo  that was originally  the experimental subject  I guess this reopens the morality issues razed in the article  conclusion to some extent.   

Just out of interest now that pleo RB has personalities built in from hatching will environmental factors now  have as much of an effect on its development? 

Pages: [1]   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal