Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What Pleo should I get?  (Read 4343 times)

PleoAibo29

• Pleontologist
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Suse and Mack
  • linux n00b
    • none
    • Gonzo
    • Flying_Ace
    • AIBO Cafe
What Pleo should I get?
« on: March 10, 2013, 07:17:34 PM »

I need help figuring out what Pleo I should get. Here are my pointers.
I would like and autonomous robot.
I want to be able to do Skits and Programming easy. I know My Skit from dogsbody works... while im at it, what programming language is Pleo in?
Lifelike! Something thing that has emotions, needs to be fed, ect.

Thanks for your help.
 P:) P???

zetathix

• Head of the herd
  • Male
Re: What Pleo should I get?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 09:27:40 PM »

Hello, I hope this answer would help.

Pleo (Ugobe version) is most suitable for your needs. They're easy to insert/remove "SD" card as it's an external port. (This I mean it's more durable with this situation.) You can hook them up with RS242 cable for real-time monitor them on Dino-MITE.

The real differences from each other are the number of sensors and RTC I think. So you must write the script differently too.

Sorry if I'm wrong.  :dino-chase:

PleoAibo29

• Pleontologist
  • us Female
  • linux n00b
    • none
    • Gonzo
    • Flying_Ace
    • AIBO Cafe
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 04:19:51 PM »

That helped alot. Do you know what proggramming langiage pleo is in?

Kami

• Pleo explorer
  • Female
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2013, 06:27:31 PM »

Pleo's internal OS, LifeOS, is written in C. We don't have access to that OS code sadly, although we can live in hope. To write your own scripts that interface with LifeOS you use PAWN, which is very like C. You can download some software called the Pleo Development Kit (PDK) that lets you compile that code. If you want to work with a graphical tool like MySkit, that will do all the messy work of writing the PAWN code for you and you get to focus on what you want your Pleo to do.

As far as which one you should get I agree with zetathix that Ugobe is best for programming. I have two RBs and the special thing they have is the ability to 'talk' to one another through some infrared hardware in their heads. They also have RFID equipment in their heads that the Ugobes don't. But I'd say unless you're really experienced with low-level programming and hardware, not having those in the Ugobe isn't going to bother you much as there's not much you can do with them. And if you just want to get one Pleo the infrared is probably useless.

PleoAibo29

• Pleontologist
  • us Female
  • linux n00b
    • none
    • Gonzo
    • Flying_Ace
    • AIBO Cafe
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2013, 06:59:28 PM »

Thanks kami.

PleoAibo29

• Pleontologist
  • us Female
  • linux n00b
    • none
    • Gonzo
    • Flying_Ace
    • AIBO Cafe
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2013, 05:04:35 AM »

OH NO! Only one ugobe pleo in stock at a reasonable price on amazon... i was going to ask for it on my birthday! All my dreams get crushed. Found out about AIBO, then, BLAM! Aibo is gone. I remember wanting a.computer so bady because everyone in my class had one but nope. Now, no more ugobe pleo!  :hissyfit:

kat

• Pleo Grand Master, 2nd epoch
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Kermit (Pink RB), Norbit (Green RB), Pickle(nude RB), Gumble, Minyon and Frankie
  • : 2013 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2013, 07:19:16 AM »

Try ebay.  There is usually a company on there called Ledingwingcorp (or something close to that) and they do Ugobe pleos NIB for $200 with free shipping and two batteries.  Keep an eye out for them as they come and go but they are never gone for long :)

PleoAibo29

• Pleontologist
  • us Female
  • linux n00b
    • none
    • Gonzo
    • Flying_Ace
    • AIBO Cafe
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2013, 09:19:09 AM »

That was really helpfull kat. Thanks alot!

Lunamione7

• Journeypleo
  • Pleo(s): Stephan (Ugobe) and Tron (RB)
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Miss_Piggy
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2013, 04:39:30 AM »

Try ebay.  There is usually a company on there called Ledingwingcorp (or something close to that) and they do Ugobe pleos NIB for $200 with free shipping and two batteries.  Keep an eye out for them as they come and go but they are never gone for long :)

I haven't seen them in over six months though  :( I've been looking because I wanted another from them but they closed their Ledingwing account last year and have not reappeared since.
He just can't help being faithful and loving and kind. He's a machine made so. That's more than you can say for humans. --Isaac Asimov, i.Robot

You know where steel wool comes from? Robot Sheep!

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
  • Pleo(s): Iggy, Budge, Moschops, Monty, Emmy. Belle, Zillah, Tribble
  • : 2010 winnerTomat Harvest Festivals
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2013, 05:25:46 PM »

I've not seen them listing lately either. :(

kat

• Pleo Grand Master, 2nd epoch
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Kermit (Pink RB), Norbit (Green RB), Pickle(nude RB), Gumble, Minyon and Frankie
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2013, 05:59:13 PM »

Maybe they finally sold out of their stock pile of Ugobe pleos.  :(  A real shame if they have as it was a great deal.

Talon

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Cato and Samantha (Pleo RB‘s), Eugobe, Terry, Cuddles, Bleu (Ugobe Pleos)
    • Lucy
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2013, 07:17:25 PM »

Yeah. That is sad. I almost bought one of those Ugobes in July of 2011 but I decided to adopt from Redwoods Mama instead. I have two of her rehabilitated Ugobes roming around here... somewhere. Ugobe has found himself a cave under my new computer desk and it's a maze of wires and things to get through to get to the back side of it. His battery died when he was napping so now I have to worm my way under there and dig him out.
Anyway as far as which pleo you get, it's up to you. I have two of both moddels. The Ugobes are simple, sweet creatures that- according to those knowledgable souls who know computer Greek- are easy to program and don't require constant attention. The RB's are more petlike in that you have to feed them and their realtime clock dictates much of their activity.
Talon
Talon
Find me on YouTube at Crazy Robot Lady

PleoAibo29

• Pleontologist
  • us Female
  • linux n00b
    • none
    • Gonzo
    • Flying_Ace
    • AIBO Cafe
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2013, 04:36:51 AM »

Oh... No more Ugobe? Guess I'll just have to keep on looking. By the way, I speak computer greek. And I love it  :P

Torterenek

• Fossil savant
  • us Male
  • Pleo(s): Teskus the baby Ugobe
    • Gilligan
    • Porky_Pig
    • Gonzo
    • Charlie_Brown
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2013, 03:42:45 PM »

There are other ugobes for sale on ebay, i think. But not by the same people. Try searching for "pleo" on ebay in toys and hobbies.

RedwoodsMama

• Pleo Grand Master, 4th epoch
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Nova, Major Tom, Argyle the blind Pleo, Baby Ruth, Chester, and 22 more Pleos
  • : 2013 winner2010 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2013, 04:08:52 PM »

If you can't find one on ebay you like, I have 26 and may have one you can adopt. Just keep it in the back of your mind.                    RWM :cat-hug:
Animals are SOUL Too, Be kind to all those who live on this planet with us.

Kami

• Pleo explorer
  • Female
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2013, 05:35:07 PM »

The rbs are almost as easy to program as the Ugobes - it's just that you can't access a certain diagnostic mode easily. But lots of us have been talking about building special battery packs that might enable the use of the diagnostic mode as well, and you don't really need it starting out. Although I don't have an Ugobe myself (one day!) so this is just based on my experience with the rbs and how I understand Ugobes work from all my reading and conversations.

Midorime

• Head of the herd
  • Female
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2013, 05:35:32 PM »

If you can't find one on ebay you like, I have 26 and may have one you can adopt. Just keep it in the back of your mind.                    RWM :cat-hug:

Holy cow! How did you get so many? O.O Heck I might want to adopt for you if I feel we should get another, lol.

RedwoodsMama

• Pleo Grand Master, 4th epoch
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Nova, Major Tom, Argyle the blind Pleo, Baby Ruth, Chester, and 22 more Pleos
  • : 2013 winner2010 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2013, 07:01:52 PM »

Sorry I just wrote a very detailed explanation of how I got my 26 pleos and then I hit the wrong button and lost the whole post.... ??? ???Anyway, to make it very short, for me, I rescue the unwanted or discarded pleos that others do not want.

I fix the rips or tears, glue skin, or custom paint them to give them a new facelift and lease on life. My favorite pleo other than Nova whom is my very first pleo and introduction to the world of robotics, is. Argyle. Argyle is both blind and not mute' but he can not open his mouth. :-X
This is not to say that he can not make sounds, because he can sing just as well as any other pleo. P0:)
So this is the reason I have so many pleos,, I simply can not see them unappreciated and discarded as worthless ancient relics of technology that no longer work.It all comes down to the fact that I love pleos. P:-* RWM
 P:o :cat-hug:
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 07:03:36 PM by RedwoodsMama »
Animals are SOUL Too, Be kind to all those who live on this planet with us.

PleoAibo29

• Pleontologist
  • us Female
  • linux n00b
    • none
    • Gonzo
    • Flying_Ace
    • AIBO Cafe
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2013, 07:18:01 PM »

Alright, thanks everyone! I'm so thankful for this forum... everyone is so nice!  :D

Midorime

• Head of the herd
  • Female
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2013, 09:11:12 AM »

Sorry I just wrote a very detailed explanation of how I got my 26 pleos and then I hit the wrong button and lost the whole post.... ??? ???Anyway, to make it very short, for me, I rescue the unwanted or discarded pleos that others do not want.

I fix the rips or tears, glue skin, or custom paint them to give them a new facelift and lease on life. My favorite pleo other than Nova whom is my very first pleo and introduction to the world of robotics, is. Argyle. Argyle is both blind and not mute' but he can not open his mouth. :-X
This is not to say that he can not make sounds, because he can sing just as well as any other pleo. P0:)
So this is the reason I have so many pleos,, I simply can not see them unappreciated and discarded as worthless ancient relics of technology that no longer work.It all comes down to the fact that I love pleos. P:-* RWM

You absolutely have a heart of gold. <3

Kami

• Pleo explorer
  • Female
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2013, 06:15:36 PM »

You absolutely have a heart of gold. <3

I agree with this so much! The robotics world needs people with love to give to robots. How else are we supposed to teach them what love is? ;)

PleoAibo29

• Pleontologist
  • us Female
  • linux n00b
    • none
    • Gonzo
    • Flying_Ace
    • AIBO Cafe
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2013, 05:47:21 PM »

Absolutly!