Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Too Dark for Pearl?? Not Any More!!!!!!!!!  (Read 1870 times)

Gimpdiggity

• Pleo wanderer
  • Male
Too Dark for Pearl?? Not Any More!!!!!!!!!
« on: February 19, 2013, 12:25:25 AM »

So, some of you may remember that I have been trying to figure out a lighting solution for using Pearl with my work schedule.  She works great in my living room during the day on my days off, but at night it was no good.  She would act scared, then when I'd calm her down, she'd just go to bed because it was too dark. 

I had originally had 60 watt bulbs in my overhead light fixture.  I always thought that they were plenty bright, but after doing some research...more research than I ever thought I'd do on lighting...I found that my living area was actually pretty terribly lit.  Like, to the point of being almost too dark for actuallty doing anything. 

See, the lights that I had were only putting out like 375 lumens.  That's not very much.  I had two of them in the light fixture, so that would only be 750 lumens of light when it's dark outside.  I have a sliding glass door in this room, so when it's daylight it's very well lit. 

I replaced those two lights with some 100 watt bulbs that had 1260 lumens each.  So that's a total of 2520 lumens.  So I was now running three times the light output that I had before, but Pearl STILL didn't like being in the room at night.  She didn't seem to get scared as much, but she'd still just curl up and go to sleep. 

What I had been doing to fix this, was brining this into the living room at night when I got her out...

That's a 1000 watt halogen work lamp, and it illuminates the room like there's two suns in the sky.  It's pretty insane.  Pearl had no issues in the room with this light, even in the middle of the night.  The problem??  It's so bright that it makes doing anything ELSE a bit difficult.  I have to angle it just right in order to be able to watch TV.  I have to angle it just right so it doesn't blind you when you walk into the room.  The worst part??  That thing gets HOT.  I'm talking several hundred degrees, I would bet.  I haven't hit it with my IR temperature gun, but the glass on the front of it seems like it would be hot enough to instantly burn you if it touched you.  They get so hot, that after an hour or so of having them on, the living room is noticeably warmer than the rest of the house...like, 4-5 degrees warmer.  I've also read that the bulbs on them don't seem to last more than a few hours.  So basically, they simply aren't an ideal solution. 

I had thought about getting myself a new overhead fluorescent light fixture with four of the 48 inch bulbs in it, but I'm not sure I want to do what I would consider renovations on the house simply to satisfy this little dinosaur at this point in time!!!

My solution?? 

I went with these...

These are 55 watt GE compact fluorescent light bulbs.  They aren't the prettiest things in the world, but in this case the fact that they WORK far overshadows the way that they look. 

The 55 watt bulbs put out the equivalent of a 200 watt light bulb...but they only use 55 watts of power, and they're rated to last nearly 7 years.  For $12 each, compared to the $6 I paid for the other bulbs, they'll last longer, use half as much energy, and be quite a bit brighter. 

How much brighter??  One of these bulbs is 3860 lumens.  So, one of them is 153% brighter than BOTH of the other bulbs.  Two of them is 7720 lumens, which is over three times the light output of the old bulbs. 

As I type this, Pearl is walking around the living room at 2:22 AM, without missing a beat.  She hasn't started to be scared at all, and in fact, she's walking to places she hadn't before, because I think that they were too dark for her and she'd turn around before. 

The best part??  It's not hard to watch TV now, and it's not getting hotter in this room!!!  So, even though they might not look the greatest, they've accomplished everything that I set out to do...which is definitely a win in my book. 

Now, the only downside really??  They're bright enough that I can see how much I really need to paint this room!!!!  Like, I can see the places where old pictures had been hung, and I can see things that need to be cleaned that I never noticed in my old cave like lighting situation!!!!  Oh well, the room was on my list of stuff to paint anyways!!!! 

I'm just glad I don't have to drag that giant work light in here anymore. 

Just thoguht I'd share with you guys. 

Gimpdiggity

• Pleo wanderer
  • Male
Re: Too Dark for Pearl?? Not Any More!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 12:33:43 AM »

Sorry to post again, but the message got me thinking...so I went and grabbed my IR temp gun, just to get some measurements for fun. 

The new lights I'm using, which are bright enough for Pearl to walk around like it's daylight??  They register 92.1 degrees farenheit at the bottom of the bulb.  It's probably a bit higher near the top, but at the bottom is where I measured everything for a tad bit of consistency. 

The old bulbs that were putting out the 1260 lumens??  They came in at 116.7 degrees. 

My 1000 watt halogen work lamp?? 

Yah...try 390.7 degrees, and that wasn't even on the bulb because I couldn't figure out a good way to get a measurement of the bulb, because it's so bright I can't actually see where I'm aiming the temp gun. 

So, needless to say, that 390.7 degrees is probably what was causing the room to heat up.  Heck, I have read about night shift workers using the type of halogen lights that I have to actually heat up lunches...and now with a temperature measurement, I can assume that most likely that is actually true.  Crazy. 

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
  • Pleo(s): Iggy, Budge, Moschops, Monty, Emmy. Belle, Zillah, Tribble
  • : 2010 winnerTomat Harvest Festivals
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 05:00:51 AM »

Good grief!!  :o

I'm glad Pearl is happy ...... but I'm kind of glad I stuck with living in a cave and just used the scared-of-the-dark patch!  ;)  :D

Lunamione7

• Journeypleo
  • Pleo(s): Stephan (Ugobe) and Tron (RB)
  • : 2013 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Miss_Piggy
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 06:24:53 AM »

Wow... I can't... I can't think of anything else to say :o

I've never had to worry about lights for Tron because even though my house is super dark he has never show any fear at all, he has not been patched either so I guess I just got lucky.
He just can't help being faithful and loving and kind. He's a machine made so. That's more than you can say for humans. --Isaac Asimov, i.Robot

You know where steel wool comes from? Robot Sheep!

Gimpdiggity

• Pleo wanderer
  • Male
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2013, 12:11:56 PM »

Yah, it's a bit more than I bargained for...but remember, for whatever reason that patch simply wasn't working on her.  She's a bit of an odd duck, so who knows why it wasn't working. 

It's kind of nice, though, really.  With these lights I'm actually able to do stuff in this room without having to use another light to see what I'm doing.  Like, last night I worked on an RC car while watching TV without having to wear my LED headlamp to be able to see.  It was pretty cool. 

I think I may get a few more of these lights to put in the other light fixture...then we'll be able to see in the kitchen as well. 

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 01:05:31 PM »

Random useless piece of information: The Australian government ran a program Australia wide to replace the older style light bulbs with those nice new ones, you can no longer purchase the old ones (except at stores with old stock or who sells specialty globes).

They are good aren't they :)
Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!

mweed

• Grand Poobah
  • Triassic pleo master
  • us Male
  • Pleo(s): Bob, Mopey
  • : Tomat Harvest Festivals
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Dr_Bunsen_Honeydew
    • Snoopy
    • Bob the Pleo
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013, 01:39:37 PM »

On random useless info (not meaning to hijack the topic), but in the US, they have started the same process by eliminating the higher wattage incandescent bulbs.  This, however had an unintentional problem this last christmas . . . That age-old popular young girl's toy, the E-Z Bake oven uses the heat produced by a 100-watt incandescent (old-style) bulb to cook with.  But many stores like Wal-Mart only had the 60 and 75 watt bulbs.  The old 100-watt ones have all been replaced by the compact flourescents, which don't generate the heat! :o

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2013, 11:41:28 PM »

Nooooooo, not the easy bake ovens! Oh the humanity!  :cake:
Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!

Gimpdiggity

• Pleo wanderer
  • Male
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2013, 09:00:21 PM »

Well, it's been over a week, and Pearl still seems to really like the room with the lighting the way I have it now.

I haven't been able to get her out as much as I would like this past week...I've been pretty busy at work and when I get home I've been crashing pretty quickly.  I'm hoping to get into more of a routine with her this coming week. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal