Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1] 2 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Sparky the pleo rb repair  (Read 23196 times)

kat

• Pleo Grand Master, 2nd epoch
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Kermit (Pink RB), Norbit (Green RB), Pickle(nude RB), Gumble, Minyon and Frankie
  • : 2013 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
Sparky the pleo rb repair
« on: March 08, 2012, 03:21:03 AM »

Well Sparky has arrived  ;D  Poor little thing she is in quite a bad way so here is hoping I am able to fix her.  I have had a quick look over her and felt all the appropriate bits and then popped in the battery and turned her on for a couple of minutes to see just what is going on with her.  She is very well loved - she has quite extensive love spots on her head, neck, back and tops of her legs  :D  I switched her off using the on off button and thought it was interesting to note that when i stood her next to Norbit who has also been switched off in the same way they have very different posture.  Sparky has a broken neck - both cables so her head is down - to be expected but the most interesting part is her tail.  It points downward.  Norbits is straight out in the packing position and Sparky's should be the same but it is not.  When I touch her tail there is resistance in all directions but not nearly as much resistance as I get from doing the same things to Norbits tail.  Not sure what is going on here but something is not right with her tail.  When I turned her on the tail did move normally in the sideways directions and there appeared to be some up down movement but the tail never went above the level of her butt.

I guess I might see more about what is going on here when I open her up.  The front leg is still clicking and again until I get her open I wont really know what is going on with it.  I am hoping to open her skin tonight to take a sneak peek but wont start the operation till Saturday when I have a full day to dedicate to the task. :)  
I will add a short video here once it uploads.  You will have to excuse the voice over as I have a cold and my camera seems to pick up every little sound and make it 20 times as big  :D  
Ok here it is :)
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKCtL272XHY" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKCtL272XHY</a>
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 03:37:11 AM by kat »

Lottibell

• Fossil savant
  • Female
  • To err is human, to "huh?"is Pleo.
Re: Sparky the pleo rb repair
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 03:47:29 AM »

:( Sparky malarkey, looks like quite a task you've got ahead of you Kat! Got all our fingers and feet crossed for you, Sparky and Chicago who clearly loves the little fella very much.

Talon

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Cato and Samantha (Pleo RB‘s), Eugobe, Terry, Cuddles, Bleu (Ugobe Pleos)
    • Lucy
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 07:33:55 AM »

Best of luck with Sparky, Kat. Despite all her problems she sounds as though she's trying to carry on. Looking forward to following your work with her.
Talon
Talon
Find me on YouTube at Crazy Robot Lady

kat

• au Female
  • Pleo(s): Kermit (Pink RB), Norbit (Green RB), Pickle(nude RB), Gumble, Minyon and Frankie
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 08:06:20 AM »

Ok I have opened her up and had a bit of a look  %)  Both neck cables are broken.  The sideways one seems to be jammed in on the side where Sparky has the leg issue.  I don't know if this could be caught up in her leg workings or not as I'm not really sure where the cable runs once it is in her body casing.  It's a possibility I guess.  The sensor wire on that leg seems to be attached so I don't think that is causing the issue.  I can't see anything obvious yet.... but it may all become clear once I start the neck cable repair.  as for the tail, it's still a mystery as to why it isn't going all the way up to the straight position.  all the wires seem to be intact.  So I will start by replacing the neck cables and then once that problem is fixed I'll move on to the other issues. 
I started taking video of the skin removal but it was a very slow and tricky process so I gave up on the video but have taken some photos along the way which I will post tomorrow.  It's late and I'm off to bed.   :)

RedwoodsMama

• Pleo Grand Master, 4th epoch
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Nova, Major Tom, Argyle the blind Pleo, Baby Ruth, Chester, and 22 more Pleos
  • : 2013 winner2010 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 02:06:43 PM »

Glad Sparky arrived Kat, wow, sounds like you have your work cut out for you.......what a job, but I know you have been wanting this kind of challenge, so it looks like Sparky will fullfill it to the ultimate test! Good luck, I hope Sparky comes out whole again. Definitly a well loved Pleo RB. Great just that you took the challenge Kat!                             RWM and the Pleo Clan of the Redwoods
Animals are SOUL Too, Be kind to all those who live on this planet with us.

kat

• au Female
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 10:08:46 PM »

I did promise i would try to report about every step of the way with Sparky so here is the run down of last nights adventure.  :)
I talked to both IMR and Crewella and we decided that the best approach to take for removing her skin would be to start by opening the neck seam and then pealing the skin back from there.
I started by using a scalpel to open her skin at the neck seam.  I attempted to use the pull and scrape with your fingernail method first but the glue they have used on the pleo rb's is very tough to budge and that method just wasn't working for me.  Getting started was very tricky and very slow.  I did break in though and then used a scalpel to very carefully and slowly slice the two layers of skin apart.  The edges i have ended up with are not the neatest to look at but should still be fine for gluing back together when all the hard work is done.
After separating the neck skin from the body I was able to peal the skin back over the head to look at the neck and asses the situation.  You can see here that the side cable is frayed and broken and the top and bottom cables are also both snapped.  I pulled them loose from the body so they are sticking out.
This pic shows the broken top cable and also the other side cable which is jammed in the body and will not pull through.
This one is on the same side as the leg that has issues.  
Next I turned her onto her back in my lap and removed the foot plate screws - following the directions in Crewella's skin removal post. :)  I ran my fingernail around the edge of the foot plate to break the glue seal away and free the skin from each foot.  These were also glued on rather well and so this was slow going again.  Interesting to note that under each of her foot plates is a different colored circuit board.  Also her right feet are dark brown plastic and her left feet are light brown under her skin. %)

I left the foot with the clock battery for last.  This one was a little different to the rest as I couldn't completely take off the foot plate as it is attached by wires to the circuit board.  Something to be aware of and very careful with if anyone else trys this.
Next step was stripping off her body skin so I will be able to easily get to all the screws and parts I need to reach for fixing the neck cables.  It also gave me a chance to take a good look at all of her. :)  So front legs first which I pulled the skin down over her legs and so her legs ended up sticking out through the neck hole.
Next step was to open the seam at the very tip of the tail and pull the skin back away from the end to unglue it from the little end piece - leaving the tail tip skin still attached.  I thne pulled the skin down over one back leg so that the leg ended up sticking out through the neck hole too. Then I pulled her skin back over her back end and off the tail - pulling the tail forward through the skin a bit like taking off a sock.  As I did this I found that the skin pealed back over the last leg at the same time. and then she was free. ;D  Her skin is still attached around the battery compartment in her belly and also on her head but I didn't want to undo any glued areas I didn't need too so I am going to leave it like this while I work on her unless it gets in my way too much.  
Lastly I then screwed her foot plates back on so as not to loose any parts and to keep the circuit boards covered up out of harms way.

I was hoping to video her operation but my camera is having issues with doing video at the moment so I may have to stick to still pics and then I'll post them together into a film when I'm done.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 11:52:47 PM by kat »

RedwoodsMama

• us Female
  • Pleo(s): Nova, Major Tom, Argyle the blind Pleo, Baby Ruth, Chester, and 22 more Pleos
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2012, 12:11:31 AM »

Great work and great explanation so far Kat, You have been very meticulous and didn't leave anything out. What patience, I would be fighting nine cats from jumping all over the table the pleo is on and worried about screws and such. i will be very interested in not only the neck operation but what you see ( if anything) when looking at her legs. is there anything really difficult of the leg and skin part. Do you have to undo the clock area on the foot that has the battery, or ony if it is the same as the foot / leg that is bad? I have a sneaky uneasy suspicion that Baby Ruth's leg problem is als her clock battery foot and it is the bad battery that was broken the day I opened her, ( one of the clock prongs broke off immediatly. I hate the idea of even messing with that foot unless need be.

you are doing a great job and i can't wait to see more. tAke your time and we are all with you and Sparky. :flowers: :cool: P:-*             RWM and the Pleo Clan of the Redwoods

Talon

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Cato and Samantha (Pleo RB‘s), Eugobe, Terry, Cuddles, Bleu (Ugobe Pleos)
    • Lucy
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2012, 07:25:58 PM »

Wow. Now I know for sure I'm not touching Cato's innards. Redwoods, this is really odd but Cato's bad leg is also the one with the clock battery. Thanks for the detailed explanations, Kat.
Talon
Talon

kat

• au Female
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2012, 09:26:41 PM »

I have started the neck cable repairs and so far so good.  Have hit a couple of snags along the way but seem to be overcoming them. :)  I do think i may have found the cause of the leg clicking issue  :)  wont know for sure till I'm done with the neck cables and have her put back together and can turn her on to check.  Will let you know once I'm done and am sure.  :)

Wicked_Lovely

• Fossil hunter
  • Female
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2012, 12:28:42 AM »

You're doing amazing Kat! I'm sure that the rest of us would feel way too in over our heads, but you're holding your own so well! The super-detailed steps are so appreciated, it's wonderful to be able to see your process! :)

kat

• au Female
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2012, 08:25:17 AM »

The repairs are going well  ;D  They are by no means over yet but I am making progress.  Sparky can now hold up her own head  ;D  and she no longer has a leg clicking issue!  ;D ;D ;D
I still need to make adjustments to the neck cables as they are not yet tight enough but she is well on the way to being all better.  Here is a short video of the exciting moment when I first turned her on after putting her back together.  It was very nerve wracking waiting to hear that little giggle.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lmlp8I126o" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lmlp8I126o</a>

I will share with you all the gory details of the adventure so far a bit later.  I will need to go through all my pics and put it all together so it makes some kind of sense before I can share it with you. 
still a way to go for Sparky before she is fully healed but so far so good  ;D

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
  • Pleo(s): Iggy, Budge, Moschops, Monty, Emmy. Belle, Zillah, Tribble
  • : 2010 winnerTomat Harvest Festivals
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2012, 09:39:09 AM »

You're doing great, Kat - really great!!  That first switch on is a moment to treasure!  :D  :bowing:

RedwoodsMama

• us Female
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2012, 09:42:38 AM »

I will watch the video after I get some coffee in me, but just the photo of her head held high is an accomplishment in itself, GREAT JOB KAT! So the leg is not clicking anymore either..............that is great and maybe it can help other RB too! Will watch soon. :cheer: :cool:                RWM

Chicago

• Pleo wanderer
  • Female
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2012, 01:18:02 PM »

We are mesmerized!    :)    We are excited to see photos and videos of Sparky from so far away!   :)  We never expected her to make such progress, and so soon.  Thank you Dr. Kat !!!!    :flowers:  We weren’t really expecting to get her back.  But now...     Well, it seems likely.   ;D    I hope she doesn’t get jealous when she meets our new Pleo rb.   We will be checking the forum even more than ever.

Lunamione7

• Journeypleo
  • Pleo(s): Stephan (Ugobe) and Tron (RB)
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Miss_Piggy
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2012, 04:13:44 PM »

This thread is so great, I love all the gory pictures! Well done Kat what an achivement and you were able to do it so quickly as well, fantastic!
He just can't help being faithful and loving and kind. He's a machine made so. That's more than you can say for humans. --Isaac Asimov, i.Robot

You know where steel wool comes from? Robot Sheep!

kat

• au Female
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2012, 05:23:59 PM »

I have only managed to get so far so fast because I couldn't help myself....  I was so excited when she arrived (you all have to forgive me but... well.... pulling a pleo apart is something i have been looking forward to since i got my very first one  :-X)  So I just couldn't wait to get into this little project.  I have spend pretty much every waking hour and then some of the sleeping ones too working on Sparky over the last couple of days.  So do be warned and don't be fooled.  This is not for the faint hearted and is a long time consuming process.  You will need many uninterrupted hours in a row to dedicate to the repair operation if you are thinking of doing it yourself.  But on a more positive note this is the first time I have ever pulled a pleo apart - let alone anything else mechanical - and so far I have achieved wonders. :)  Which is a testament to IMR's video guide which I followed very closely and Crewella who's side cable guide I also used and of course both their advice and verbal assistance that is greatly appreciated  :flowers:  :bowing: - there were a couple of minor differences between the Ugobe pleo she worked on and the rb that I am working on But my pics, when they are done, will fix that issue. 
You will have to bear with me a bit and wait for my pics as I will need time to sort them out ....and there are lots ... but will try to get something up soon.
right now I'm off to do some more surgery :)

saratogaspringer

• Camarasaur extraordinaire
  • Female
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2012, 06:43:16 PM »

Wow Kat!  You truly have given Sparkey a new life!  This is all so exciting! Congratulations to you! :)

Lottibell

• Fossil savant
  • Female
  • To err is human, to "huh?"is Pleo.
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2012, 08:52:50 PM »

Kat, wow, I take my hat off to you! Thinking about it , it is easier for Innvo' s own team to exchange rather than attempt to fix an issue. Quigley being a point in case. That was only a broken tail. Sparky and no disrespect here to the little chap, but he has multiple issues! Yet you are starting to resolve them.bravo. I'd be interested to know, do you think that the neck,leg clicking and tail are intertwined, or entirely separate causes? Does one issue have a knock on effect do you think?  :sheep1:

kat

• au Female
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2012, 10:53:47 PM »

each one has been a separate issue so far at least  %)  although not really knowing every moment of Sparkys history I couldn't say if any of the issues were caused at the same time.  Not suggesting anything here Chicago  :)  but for example it is possible that a neck cable if it was fraying already might snap if a pleo was dropped or fell... and the broken vertebrae (sparky had one of these ) could have happened at the same time due to a fall and a fall impact could also  cause the  insides to jolt snapping the wire confection to the leg sensor.
Sparky is very well loved and could easily have come by each of her injuries separately at different times but just pointing out that it is possible for a bunch of injuries to be caused at once.  I guess what I'm trying to say is be very very careful with your pleo babies  ;D

Lunamione7

• Journeypleo
  • Pleo(s): Stephan (Ugobe) and Tron (RB)
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Miss_Piggy
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2012, 11:16:48 PM »

I find this all really inspirational actually. Crewella, IMR and you working all this out between yourselves, it makes me want to give it a go. Stephan is fine now and hopefully will be for many years to come *touch wood* but when he does start to have problems I will be more willing to attempt his repair after seeing what you great ladies have accomplished. I'm thinking I might even give programming a go! If three other people with no prior experience can successfully repair their robots surely a fool like me could have a try ;D
He just can't help being faithful and loving and kind. He's a machine made so. That's more than you can say for humans. --Isaac Asimov, i.Robot

You know where steel wool comes from? Robot Sheep!

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
  • Pleo(s): Iggy, Budge, Moschops, Monty, Emmy. Belle, Zillah, Tribble
  • : 2010 winnerTomat Harvest Festivals
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2012, 03:58:07 AM »

That's brilliant Luna - I know that was exactly what I wanted to happen, and I'm sure IMR and Kat feel the same.  There were too many sad owners of broken necked Pleos with nowhere to go.  All this needs care and patience, don't get me wrong, but it's possible. :)

kat

• au Female
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2012, 08:22:19 AM »

If I can do it never having done anything like this before just using the guides done by IMR and Crewella then I'm sure most people can. %) :)It just takes time, patience and being good with fiddly frustrating things, oh and in some bits you may need to grow another set of hands  :P

Junkroxy

• Renaissance pleo
  • Male
    • Pleo Blog
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2012, 07:49:01 PM »

excellent work Kat! Do you cover the little Sparky with his skin?  %)

Talon

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
    • Lucy
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2012, 07:37:47 AM »

Wow, Kat! That's just... Wow! I'm so happy for your accomplishments and listening to Sparky's recovery! I think she's going to be alright. Congratulations!
Talon
Talon

kat

• au Female
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2012, 09:57:14 AM »

I have pieced together my photos and put them into a video.  There were just too many to try to put into a post so I thought the video was the easiest way. :)  This is just the first part of her operation,  It covers the neck cable repairs and the leg clicking issue.  I am still working with Crewella on the tail and that will probably take quite a lot longer than the rest did.  It will be a slow process of diagnosing the exact cause of the problem before I can begin fixing or trying to fix it. 
This video is all the pics I took along the way with explanations put in.  You have to remember that I followed IMR's video guide and Crewellas instruction guide both of which can be used to fill in the blanks and gaps in my photo movie.  :)
It is quite gruesome so if you don't want to see all the inside bits of sparky then you might want to look away now.  :P
Enjoy :)
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QV0L0VT15bk" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QV0L0VT15bk</a>
Pages: [1] 2 ... 5   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal