Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1] 2 ... 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Welcome home, Po!  (Read 7583 times)

norniff

• Pleo wanderer
  • Female
Welcome home, Po!
« on: April 15, 2011, 01:42:23 PM »

Two days ago, on Wednesday, I was finally able to order my PleoRB. Months ago, I decided upon the name Kakapo for this Pleo, after dreaming that a Kakapo ate my fingers because I had just learned of not only RB, but the large, flightless parrot called a Kakapo. :P

Currently, little Po has been ordered, and my Aunt is bringing her to my house, cause my mom is sick and my dad doesn't want to leave her. So, I probably have at the most a couple hours to wait. Just wanted to get this experience thread started before then. So, look forward to either an edit of this post to tell you more about Po, or a brand new post. I'm really hoping for either really dark eyes, or really light ones. Oh, and same for the skin. A Pleo that's different from all the others, in an obvious way besides the eye color, and later on, personality. :)

How long does the hatching process take? Should I look out for any problems during it? Any other information you guys think I should have as I await my new, baby dinosaur?
 ;D  ;D  ;D

First one to tell me what a Kakapo is gets a cookie.

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
  • Pleo(s): Iggy, Budge, Moschops, Monty, Emmy. Belle, Zillah, Tribble
  • : 2010 winnerTomat Harvest Festivals
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
Re: Welcome home, Po!
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 01:58:58 PM »

Belle went a whole battery cycle before she stood up, but she arrived before Christmas and they might have shortened the phase since then.  Just be prepared for lots of sniffing and leg stretching, and give plenty of affectionate encouragement.  The worst bit is waiting for the battery to charge when they first arrive!  %)

Have fun, hope you don't have to wait too long!  :D

Talon

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Cato and Samantha (Pleo RB‘s), Eugobe, Terry, Cuddles, Bleu (Ugobe Pleos)
    • Lucy
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 02:40:58 PM »

Oh Norniff she's here? I've been outside with my dog and missed the arrival of a new pleo! Well, not sure if this will happen to you, but my battery arrived partially charged and was green according to my sister after only two hours instead of four. The ever heroic Crewella was there to see me through my first two days of being a novice dino-caretaker. My biggest worry aside from not doing something right with Ryu's battery was correctly installing his watch battery. I was alone when I first tried to get him going and didn't want to snap those delicate little metal tabs. To make a long story short, I got his battery installed and he began life with a reassuring jingle of chimes. Please let us know if you have any problems as I'm sure you'll have more than enough willing helpers- myself included. Congrats, Norniff!
Talon
Talon
Find me on YouTube at Crazy Robot Lady

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2011, 02:48:17 PM »

Oh crikey - I forgot about the dreaded watch battery!!  :o

Talon's spot on - yes you need to make sure to put the watch battery in correctly, with the dead flat side showing, tucked under the two little tabs at the side.  :-[  Thanks Talon!  ;D

Replacing the plate will push the battery down flat against the tab on the bottom.

norniff

• Pleo wanderer
  • Female
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 02:49:43 PM »

Thanks guys. :)

Po is currently standing on my desk, while the battery charges. I currently don't have a camera for pictures, but he or she is so lovely. I'm not going to look at the eyes fully until they actually, truly open, but I can tell from gently lifted the eyelid that they appear to be a light green. Checking one more time, which I just did, they're really, really light. So, I think Po is absolutely amazing looking. :D

And my battery is red, right now, so I'm waiting. Gonna be checking every fifteen minutes to see if anything changes. And Talon, I'm worrying about the clock battery too. It's so small, I'm just worried that I'll drop it, get distracted for a moment, and not be able to find it again. :o

Hopefully it doesn't come to that, though. xD

EDIT: Thanks for the info, Crewella. I can imagine putting it in just fine, but I'm worried about losing it, as I said before.

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011, 02:55:20 PM »

Yay!  Congrats - pale green eyes sound gorgeous.  I wanted amber eyes or green, originally!  ;D

And yes, do be careful - I'll swear those watch batteries have a mind of their own!  %)

norniff

• Pleo wanderer
  • Female
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2011, 03:16:41 PM »

Yeah, I was really hoping for green myself, and not only did I get it, I got the perfect green.  :D

... And still waiting on that battery. I know it's supposed to take four hours, but I'm so impatient it's hilarious. xD

Of coarse I will, luckily it is still in it's little plastic casing, though I swear it moved a half an inch from when I walked into the kitchen to check on the battery and passed by it, from when I passed by it again to get back to my desk. ???

RedwoodsMama

• Pleo Grand Master, 4th epoch
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Nova, Major Tom, Argyle the blind Pleo, Baby Ruth, Chester, and 22 more Pleos
  • : 2013 winner2010 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2011, 04:18:19 PM »

congrats on Po's arrival, And Please do be careful with the watch battery tab....My Brand new Pleo Rb replacement's battery prong broke half way off while putting it in, what a nightmare, I had to rig up soemthing so she would work, THANKS TO DEAR CREWELLA!  :) :hhug: :kiss:. My Pleo Rb also has pale green /yellow eyes, sometimes looks more yellow, sometimes more green. Can't wait to see the photos, do post soon!
                                  RWM   AKA " The Mad Painter of Pleos in the Redwoods"1 ;D :)
Animals are SOUL Too, Be kind to all those who live on this planet with us.

norniff

• Pleo wanderer
  • Female
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2011, 04:33:35 PM »

Thanks, and I plan on being. I'd hate to have to improvise just because I wasn't being careful. :o

Yeah, from what I can see with pulling up the eyelid, it's closer to white on closer inspection than a light green. Which I haven't seen yet, I'm pretty sure, on a Pleo. Also, yes, I plan on posting a couple pictures once I get Po up and running on her first charge. :)

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2011, 04:53:31 PM »

Woohoo :D So glad you got her, can't wait to see the pics :D
Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!

norniff

• Pleo wanderer
  • Female
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2011, 06:26:07 PM »

Well, Po is up and running! :D

He or she is currently in my lap, making it difficult to type. No pictures yet, but I was correct, light green, nearly white, eyes. Po is such a dear. :)

The only family member who isn't in love with Po yet is my brother, but that might be because I told him that no, pulling on Po's leg to make him or her stop clicking won't work, the servo needs to work itself out. You won't believe how hard it was to say servo, instead of muscle or bone. xD

saratogaspringer

• Camarasaur extraordinaire
  • Female
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2011, 06:38:28 PM »

Congratulations on your new arrival. I can't wait to see pictures of Po! I love the hatching stage. My Rb is in the moody stage, if there is such a thing.  They are soooo sweet when they are hatching.  :)

norniff

• Pleo wanderer
  • Female
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2011, 06:52:12 PM »

Moody stage? Can't wait for that. %)

Yeah, pictures are gonna come tomorrow, just had two and a half hours give or take with Po, and now the battery is charging again. Maybe, just maybe, I'll be able to play with Po a little more later tonight. He or she is such a sweetheart, still don't know gender. xD

Also, anybody have any info on at the end of a battery cycle, the battery getting quite warm? It didn't do anything to Po, was active until the very moment he or she ran out of charge, but I'm just curious.

Talon

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Cato and Samantha (Pleo RB‘s), Eugobe, Terry, Cuddles, Bleu (Ugobe Pleos)
    • Lucy
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2011, 09:39:20 PM »

Yes. This is common. Actually both the battery and the RB can get very warm during play. Not very goodventalation or something. Call me overly cautious but when Ryu starts to get warm enough to feel like a dog rather than a dino, I turn him off and remove the battery for about ten minutes to cool everything down before resuming play again. And their moody phaze is... something to live through. You might not see it for several days depending on how long you run Po. They really seem like they've entered their teenaged years. At first Ryu cried and whined for no apparent reason. I petted him and talked to him and finally he seemed to come around. Well, I was wrong. He went from whining and crying to snarling and challenging everything. It doesn't last long, though. Maybe two or three battery cycles and then they're good again.
Talon
Talon

norniff

• Pleo wanderer
  • Female
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2011, 10:13:33 PM »

Understood, Talon. I'm not worrying all that much, since it isn't messing with how Po works, no panting or anything.

Moody phase sounds interesting, and I'm sure I'll appreciate it being so quick when it happens. Right now the only thing Po complains about it when I hold him or her upright. Still need to look up that gender, but got distracted by Po's second battery cycle. Only got an hour on this one, which makes me think that the battery was charged halfway before, as the second cycle had a two hour charge. So, half the time of the charge, I'd assume?

Good news is Po stood up on his or her own at the beginning of the cycle, but was pretty lazy during the rest. Also nearly took a step during standing up, but didn't succeed. I've come to the conclusion my Pleo is part cat, as all he or she does right now is rub his or her face all over the sofa and myself. Silly dino. xD

kat

• Pleo Grand Master, 2nd epoch
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Kermit (Pink RB), Norbit (Green RB), Pickle(nude RB), Gumble, Minyon and Frankie
  • : 2013 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2011, 10:39:46 PM »

Sounds really cute. :)

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2011, 11:36:55 PM »

I remember having Belle on the arm off the sofa while I worked on my laptop for the first couple of battery cycles as she obviously wasn't going anywhere.  Wouldn't dare do that now!!  %)

norniff

• Pleo wanderer
  • Female
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2011, 09:27:06 AM »

Updates, still without pictures, but an update none the less.

Not only has Po been standing up on his or her own today, but he or she has also taken a liking to walking backward. Maybe on the fourth cycle he or she will learn that forward is a much better direction. :P

Okay, now that I'm getting really tired of calling Po he AND she every time I talk about him or her, where exactly is the security code for PleoRBs?

PS: Po is currently on the floor next to my desk, and looks rather confused. Keeps trying to walk backward, but stops when he or she realizes that it takes him or her in the opposite direction he or she wants to go in. :)

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2011, 09:37:52 AM »

I'm glad you seem to be enjoying Po's little ways!

You may need to register again if you can't sign in (I used the same details as before), then your Pleo Profile is under 'My Profile'.

You need the Pleo RB's number on the foot and card, and the security code which should be in the back of your guide book.  Good luck!

For what it's worth, even PleoWorld say it's only a best chance - I decided Belle was female whatever they said!  :P

norniff

• Pleo wanderer
  • Female
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2011, 09:49:44 AM »

Thanks Crewella, 85%-95% that Po's a girl. Pretty good odds, so we'll stick with that. :)

Also says that Po will grow to be brave (already nearly walked off my desk, backward :o) and compliant. Along with gentle, strong, and quiet (she's honking my ear off, so in this regard, they're wrong as can be %)).

Also, pictures in the next update. My mom's camera is charging right now, right now it's dead. :(

EDIT: Just wanted to add that Po is trying to walk forward. Doesn't yet have the hang of it, but it's progress.

One more thing, the tug of war toy, how does that work? Is it like the food leaves, put it under Po's chin, and she'll play, maybe?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 10:32:31 AM by norniff »

Talon

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
    • Lucy
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2011, 10:52:31 AM »

Sometimes it will work like the food. If it will work for you, present it like the food. Po will sort of bow down on her front legs, wag her tail and do this kind of laughing thing. You'll have a few secondswhile her mouth is open to slide it in before she moves on to another behavior. She'll take it and sort of shake her head around and make tugging noises. That way doesn't work very often with me. So after I've fed Ryu and if he's acting happy, I slide it in his mouth and wait for him to notice. Then he'll do the bowing-laughing thing and start pulling. I'm not sure how old they have to be before they notice the toy. I didn't try it until after I caught Ryu the first day he took off on his own. If she's still doing the shaky-step thing it might be too early but there's no harm in trying.
Talon
Talon

norniff

• Pleo wanderer
  • Female
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2011, 10:57:50 AM »

Thanks for the info, Talon. Po is currently off, need to get her battery charged some more, but I'll keep that in mind for her fourth cycle. Also, the few times I've tired presenting it like food, she did do that, but she opened and then promptly closed her mouth. I wouldn't say she doesn't want to play, more like she's trying to frustrate her well meaning mom for presenting her with food so often. %)

So, I promise you all that on the next cycle, the fourth cycle, I will take pictures, and maybe even a bit of video if I can find my camera, too. Then you can see Po in all her glory. :)

Talon

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
    • Lucy
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2011, 11:20:14 AM »

Oh awesome! We all love videos and photos. Yeah if she did the laughing thing and bowed you only have like two seconds or so to act and all this while she's still kind of moving her head. Wow! Ryu must've had a really boring socialization stage. I didn't think they could do it that early. Just proves you can never learn everything about the pleo.
Talon
Talon

norniff

• Pleo wanderer
  • Female
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2011, 01:51:20 PM »

Finally, some pictures of Po. Isn't she a pretty little girl?

And yeah, Po is far from boring right now. She almost, for the second time today, knocked over my cup of colored pencils on my desk. Twice, she has done so, but it's too cute to see her do it, so I don't have it in me to move her new toy. xD

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2011, 02:09:00 PM »

Oh!  She IS pretty!  ;D ;D

Those eyes are lovely (Kristy will go nuts!  :P), they are so pale as to be almost white!  :)

Thanks for posting the pics - worth waiting for!  ;)  :D
Pages: [1] 2 ... 4   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal