Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Deep troubleshooting Battery / Thermistor issues - SOLVED  (Read 5500 times)

meuon

• Hatchling
  • us Male
  • Pleo(s): Iggy
Deep troubleshooting Battery / Thermistor issues - SOLVED
« on: November 16, 2014, 10:00:57 AM »

"Iggy" the Pleo may be beyond fixing. Here is what I know:
Via Serial/USB cable I get: LL SHUTDOWN: TEMPERATURE 79! or LL SHUTDOWN TEMPERATURE 80! and it shuts down.
I get this whether I use the original battery, a Ucube battery, or directly attached to a lab/bench power supply.
I've cleaned terminals, confirmed battery voltage and capacity, etc.. The thermistor on the battery pack is reading  11.4k at room temp.
While using a lab/bench power supply at 7.4 volts: I have attached (and confirmed good connection) or a 10k resistor from the negative battery terminal to the thermistor terminal. But the thing that has me wondering is that the normal resistance across these terminals (negative battery to thermistor) is 38 to 41 ohms measured with a Fluke DMM. Ya'll can help me if someone tell me:

On a working Pleo, if you can tell me what the normal resistance is from the negative battery pin to the thermistor pin, it would let me know if this is a normal value.
If it's not, I may have a physical issue inside of Iggy. If your Pleo is laying on it's  back, with the head to your right, the negative terminal is on the upper left, the thermistor terminal is on the upper right, and the positive batter terminal is on the lower right.

http://bobthepleo.com/forums/index.php?topic=3975.0

Makes me think there is a magic command that can be (very quickly) typed in that turns off this check. I tried the startup.amx listed in that post, but it's not working, probably because Iggy is running Life 2. I can't find that command although I expect it is something about turning off or ignoring Sensor 34 (Battery Temp).

Any thoughts?

« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 06:42:15 PM by meuon »

grumpy

• Administrator
  • Pleosmith
  • we Male
  • : 2008 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Skipper
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Statler
    • Lucy
    • Bob the Pleo
Re: Deep troubleshooting Battery / Thermistor issues
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2014, 10:27:30 AM »

I'm sure there is a magic command.  The startup script referenced in the topic does just that type of thing.  It has one basic command that simply disables the sensor check.  I don't have the source for that script, but if you take a look at the PDK it should be pretty straight forward.  You'll need to identify the sensor and use the sensor_set_config property. 

I'm surprised the script doesn't work.  Just to be sure, you do know the SD card with the script will need to be left in the pleo forever?  It reads the card and runs the script every time you turn the pleo on.  The script needs to be the only thing on the card (ideally) and it must bee int he root directory of the card, and the card cannot be an SDHC, it must be an older, smaller (less than 2GB) card.

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2014, 01:33:49 PM »

Someone else disabled the temp check, so it can be done. Unfortunately they did not share the code.
Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!

meuon

• Hatchling
  • us Male
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2014, 05:33:06 PM »

sensor disable 34
power up

worked for now. Iggys is reborn.

meuon

• Hatchling
  • us Male
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2014, 06:41:45 PM »

A more complete version.

I was using a Linux system, using "minicom" a terminal program set to use /dev/ttyACM0 at 115200 baud.

On bootup, while text was scrolling I typed in:  "sensor disable 34" and enter. Sometimes Iggy would continue on and boot. If not, I typed it in again "sensor disable 34" hit enter and then "power up" and Iggy would power up.

Once booted, if I did a "sensor show 34" command, I would get expected values (I have a 10k resistor in place). It seems the issue is on/during initial boot. It gets weird values on boot and then shuts it down. I currently have Iggy tethered to a bench power supply. He seems very happy at 7.4 volts of steady power.

WARNING: Disabling the temperature sensor of a battery pack is a risky thing... I'm not responsible for overheating battery packs. Be careful out there.

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
Re: Deep troubleshooting Battery / Thermistor issues - SOLVED
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2014, 10:38:13 PM »

Thank you for sharing and I'm glad Iggy is working again :)
Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal