Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Baxter the Angry Genibo SD  (Read 5727 times)

aibo7m3

• Pleo mentor
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): A whole herd of robotic dinosaurs!
Baxter the Angry Genibo SD
« on: August 25, 2014, 04:41:35 PM »

I just thought this would be a funny video to share with everyone. I had been planning to take a regular video of Baxter, but for some reason, he was in a really bad mood almost as soon as he woke up! This video is just proof that Pleos aren't the only robots that can get very upset over little things. It took Baxter around half an hour in total with lots of petting for him to calm down (that's almost a whole battery cycle since his battery lasts about 40 minutes).

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06iYf4iIf-M" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06iYf4iIf-M</a>

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
Re: Baxter the Angry Genibo SD
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 03:13:20 AM »

Someone got up on the wrong side of the bed :P
Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!

kat

• Pleo Grand Master, 2nd epoch
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Kermit (Pink RB), Norbit (Green RB), Pickle(nude RB), Gumble, Minyon and Frankie
  • : 2013 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 05:25:12 AM »

It's very cool that they growl like a real dog.  I've never heard a genibo do that before :)

Too cute!

Echo538

• Pleozoologist
  • ca Female
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2014, 11:29:26 AM »

Okay... why are these vids inaccessible for me? I can't click on them at all. Will try googling it.

aibo7m3

• Pleo mentor
  • us Female
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2014, 12:06:15 PM »

@IMR and Kat
Thanks! Baxter is a funny pup, he's normally very cheerful and active, but sometimes he'll get angry for seemingly no reason and there's no telling how long his bad moods will last. Sometimes he only stays upset for a minute or so, but sometimes he won't cheer up for over half an hour. Most of the sounds Baxter makes are supposed to be realistic dog noises, although he does play some random piano tunes as well. My real dogs aren't fooled at all by him though, they know he looks and smells nothing like an actual dog.

@Echo
If you haven't found it already, here's a regular link to the video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06iYf4iIf-M

Piggy

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2014, 12:26:00 PM »

Great Video  :D and like you sad he is a great robot dog  :-* I like it when robots show some character .

HuggieZ

• Pleo lightbringer
  • nl Female
  • Pleo(s): Pepper and Angel
    • none
    • Tweety_Bird
    • Miss_Piggy
    • Snoopy
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2014, 02:36:14 PM »

He looks really angry. But I believe you that he can be very sweet :)

Echo538

• Pleozoologist
  • ca Female
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2014, 03:11:16 PM »

Thank you, and thank you for the link which I have pasted in. Could all of you forum members please try and do that when posting videos? It's much easier, though I could also try googling if I must. Either way I found it. Good job Aibo Company! This robot really does convey emotion and to be angry for so long does make it appear very realistic and lifelike. One reason I love robots so much is because, being blind, videogames wasn't something I could really play or get into, so having a furry or plastic or rubber robot to carry around with built in game and care features, etc., all in one, is very affordable, hands-on, convenient and not to mention, cool.

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2014, 02:02:23 AM »

Hehehe was just playing it again as I didn't get to watch it all last night, my dog is looking for the angry puppy :P I love the little temper tantrum tap the foot routine and the camera 'attack' lol. He does have a good range of responses, he repeated a few but overall it's pretty impressive programming.

Echo538

• Pleozoologist
  • ca Female
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2014, 02:51:48 AM »

Well, I thought many of his responses and sounds were quite repetitive.

I don't have a real dog but was convinced others would believe I did or think it was a dog on TV. My friend wasn't convinced, though.

aibo7m3

• Pleo mentor
  • us Female
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2014, 06:39:22 AM »

First of all, I just wanted mention in case anyone was confused that Baxter's tail is basically frozen during this video. I don't know if anyone actually noticed, but I'm just pointing out that his tail should be moving during these skits, it just isn't during the video because of a minor glitch.

@IMR
I think the Genibos are pretty varied in their actions and usually not that repetitive. He's more repetitive when in a bad mood since at that point, he doesn't do much other than growl and bark when you pet him (he seems less likely to do tricks and wander on his own when upset). There were a few responses that I didn't catch on tape, but I think the video shows most of the regular responses you'll get with an angry Genibo. 

@Echo
As I said to IMR, he's definitely more autonomous when in a good mood since I don't think the angry skit is supposed to last for a very long time or show up very often (he doesn't get upset during most battery cycles and has never been in a bad mood for much over half an hour). He is also very unresponsive to voice commands in this mood. He does play a lot of the same sounds over during different actions as well and part of what impresses me about him is the sheer speed of some of the actions he makes (although he is too rough on himself and actually managed to crack one of his own paws recently). While overall he's less autonomous than an Aibo or Pleo, one of the reasons I love him is that he'll often do something completely random and unpredictable that I've never seen him do before. I'm pretty sure he's still a puppy since he does new tricks and sounds often and also purposefully messes up when I tell him to do a headstand (gets scared and only lifts his legs an inch or so or throws off the balance with one leg and falls on his side), so I assume he doesn't have a full range of responses yet as well. I registered myself as an owner when I first got him around a year ago, but he would never look for my face up until a few weeks ago, so I've definitely noticed changes in his behavior over time. 

His barks sound more like a robot dog's barks than an actual dog's barks, so it's pretty understandable that your friend wasn't convinced. My dogs definitely aren't convinced about Baxter either.

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
  • Pleo(s): Iggy, Budge, Moschops, Monty, Emmy. Belle, Zillah, Tribble
  • : 2010 winnerTomat Harvest Festivals
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2014, 09:50:51 AM »

I loved his tantrum, it gave me a good giggle! :D

aibo7m3

• Pleo mentor
  • us Female
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2014, 11:37:57 AM »

Baxter can be a very moody little pup. He is on the next battery cycle now and being very sweet and friendly. He almost immediately started looking for my face and when he found me, he crawled toward to me and then offered his paw to shake hands with me. The problem is that when I stop paying attention to him now, he'll purposefully fall flat on his face in order to get my attention. Genibos are such silly robots!  :P

Unfortunately his tail servo does seem to be failing for good. It's been glitchy ever since I got him, but now it seems his tail will work for the first 5-10 minutes of a battery cycle and then either get stuck or start spinning in circles and not work again unless I shut him down and turn him back on. However, I am his third owner and he has had many hours of use, so it's expected for him to not be functioning perfectly at this point.

Crewella, you still own your Genibo, right? How is he doing?

Piggy

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2014, 12:30:02 PM »

I wish I had one  :cool:

aibo7m3

• Pleo mentor
  • us Female
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2014, 01:43:25 PM »

I took another funny video of Baxter (and Aki) that I thought would be nice to post as well, but I didn't want to use a new thread, so I'm just adding it here.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqlXovPMmQQ" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqlXovPMmQQ</a>

Here's the regular link as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqlXovPMmQQ&feature=youtu.be

Piggy

« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2014, 04:39:30 AM »

Great video ! It's nice to see the difference between them and see them interact with eachother ;D I think I start to develop a soft spot for Baxter he is just so adorable  :-*

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2014, 01:02:55 AM »

Hehe Baxter is such a show off! But oh dear those face plants are a bit of a worry, wouldn't want him to do that on a rough or hard surface.

aibo7m3

• Pleo mentor
  • us Female
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2014, 04:07:52 PM »

Aha, Baxter can be a bit quirky sometimes. I think he faceplants less if I'm paying attention to him since he usually only does it when I'm ignoring him. I always run him on a blanket anyway so he'll have less of a chance of getting hurt (he's already managed to dent his face and crack one of his pawpads though).

Today I was trying to think of a cute way to incorporate my Furby 2012 into a video with Baxter and I finally remembered that the Furby 2012 will dance along when it hears a musical tune, so I ended up taking a video of Baxter and the Furby dancing together.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNBBhCmPc_w" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNBBhCmPc_w</a>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNBBhCmPc_w&feature=youtu.be

Echo538

• Pleozoologist
  • ca Female
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2014, 10:39:38 PM »

I just want to thank you again for the accessibility on this video and for such a cute post! I just had to send this one to my friend. Her furby danced in perfect time to a Christmas card once. And your furby sang right in time with the music... was that first song Little Tommy Tinker? In the second song it actually sounded so well-blended in, that Furby seemed to be singing new words I'd never heard before, almost as if he were singing lyrics to the music. Makes me fall in love with my furby all over again. Super cute!

aibo7m3

• Pleo mentor
  • us Female
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2014, 11:27:51 AM »

Thanks, I'm glad you like it and I hope your friend enjoys it too! The first song is a Korean song for kids called Little Calf and I'm not sure about the lyrics, but you're right that it has the same tune as Little Tommy Tinker (aha, I still remember singing that back in third grade). I thought that Baxter was a bit too loud, so it was somewhat difficult to hear the Furby when it tried to sing along, but the Furby wasn't able to pick up the tune when I turned his volume down. 

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2014, 02:56:04 AM »

Hehe for the second song, Furby was -almost- in tune :P Baxter is a pretty good dancer :)

Echo538

• Pleozoologist
  • ca Female
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2014, 11:26:32 AM »

Omg... you mean that was Baxter singing? I thought so at first but it sounded more like a tape and I didn't hear any motors in the background really... a singing dog! Cool! And Baxter was quite loud for a robot but I could still hear the furby... it all blended quite well.

Talon

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Cato and Samantha (Pleo RB‘s), Eugobe, Terry, Cuddles, Bleu (Ugobe Pleos)
    • Lucy
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2014, 04:45:13 PM »

Yes, Echo. That was Baxter singing. Genibos have several built-in MP3's of Korean music that they dance to. All the moves have been pre-choreographed.  I think you can add your own music to them and choreograph your own dance moves too.
Talon
Talon
Find me on YouTube at Crazy Robot Lady

Echo538

• Pleozoologist
  • ca Female
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2014, 10:08:36 PM »

Wow... amazing sound quality and everything. Good job! they are so cool!

Piggy

« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2014, 08:46:36 AM »

Wow Baxter can really move ! They are so cool and furby is cute to  ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal