Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Please help me! Pepper is broken too UPDATE: we fixed him!  (Read 7157 times)

HuggieZ

• Pleo lightbringer
  • nl Female
  • Pleo(s): Pepper and Angel
    • none
    • Tweety_Bird
    • Miss_Piggy
    • Snoopy
Please help me! Pepper is broken too UPDATE: we fixed him!
« on: February 19, 2014, 05:57:06 AM »

Pepper is my Pleo RB. I bought him a few weeks ago from someone. I don't have a ticket or anything for warranty. the person who sold him to me said she bought it in Germany. He worked well, but the past week he's having problems. When you start him, he starts te beep like the battery in his foot is not good or full. The last days it became worse. We have bought new batteries, tried them, but that didn't solve the problem. I just cleaned the battery in the foot and cleaned the things that hold the battery. Also the battery in his belly is fully loaded. Sometimes he keeps beeping, sometimes he turns on. What can be the problem? I really hope I can solve it, because it drives me crazy  :'(

It is liked this in the video:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Blq150zNEHA" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Blq150zNEHA</a>

Exactly the same.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 04:14:37 PM by HuggieZ »

HuggieZ

• Pleo lightbringer
  • nl Female
    • none
    • Tweety_Bird
    • Miss_Piggy
    • Snoopy
Re: Please help me! Pepper is broken too
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 12:21:31 PM »

Does anyone know sonething??? Pepper keeps beeping. What can I do? He does nothing. Resetting doesn't work :'(

Talon

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Cato and Samantha (Pleo RB‘s), Eugobe, Terry, Cuddles, Bleu (Ugobe Pleos)
    • Lucy
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 12:41:34 PM »

First of all, stay calm. I know you're worried and your little Pepper is kind of like a really sick pet. These robots are sometimes confusing little things and we have to iliminate possible reasons for their difficulties one at a time. Unfortunately I have more questions than actual suggestions. His behavior sounds really odd if you've already cleaned all the terminals as well as bought multiple clock batteries to try in him. Are you putting the clock battery in correctly? Have you tried resetting the pleo's noontime clock by pressing the tiny button in his foot with a paper clip before turning him on again? I'm sure there are others here who could give you much more helpful advice. We'll do our best to help you and Pepper.
Talon
Talon
Find me on YouTube at Crazy Robot Lady

HuggieZ

• Pleo lightbringer
  • nl Female
    • none
    • Tweety_Bird
    • Miss_Piggy
    • Snoopy
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2014, 01:39:58 PM »

I tried to reset the timer and I pushed the reset button on the belly. But it makes no difference :(
I really hope that he is not. broken also :(

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2014, 02:35:02 PM »

When you bought the new batteries are you certain they were the right ones?
Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!

Anakey

• Member of the herd
  • gb Male
  • Pleo(s): Alphie
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2014, 02:37:52 PM »

it sounds to me as if there is a loose connection to the battery terminals somewhere inside the foot, that's why he was working when you got him and why it is not working now with the fresh battery maybe when moving the leg sometime it must have dislodged the connection and now it is not sensing that there is a battery there. It should be quite easy to fix i think there are a few topics on the forum about the leg sensors occasionally becoming disconnected when in use so this ought to be fairly similar.

kat

• Pleo Grand Master, 2nd epoch
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Kermit (Pink RB), Norbit (Green RB), Pickle(nude RB), Gumble, Minyon and Frankie
  • : 2013 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2014, 04:18:02 PM »

from watching your video you seem to be inserting the batteries fine into the foot but the pleo is behaving as though there is no battery in the foot at all.  If you put his main battery into his belly and turn it on and then when he starts to wriggle turn him over an use the paperclip to reset the clock battery in his foot does it give a beep sound - just one beep to tell you that it has reset?
It would only give this one beep if it actually acknowledges that there is a battery in the foot.  If you don't get an acknowledgement noise then the battery is not being recognised.
A few things to try -
1.  clean the battery and the little prongs in the foot very gently.
2.  check that the battery is exactly the right type - CR2032  3V Lithium battery. 
3.  check the expiry or best before date on the packaging for the new battery - if the battery is really old it may not be any good any more even though it is new
4.  buy another new battery - choose a different brand this time if you can and try that.
5.  let us know if there is any difference and then we can talk about where to go from here - talking to Innvo or exploratory surgery or something.

I have had a similar issue in the past where the foot battery that came with my guy was flat and then I bought a replacement that was also flat.  Replacement number two worked fine.  sometimes you just get a dud one. 

HuggieZ

• Pleo lightbringer
  • nl Female
    • none
    • Tweety_Bird
    • Miss_Piggy
    • Snoopy
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2014, 09:42:49 AM »

I bought a pakkage of 5 batteries: Grundig CR2032 3V. I've tried them all, but the result stays the same: beeping... There was a DL2032 in it, but I think it's the same. Or is it not? In the book I also see CR2032. I don't know what to do. I have emailed Innvo, but they don't react. Is there any telephonenumber I can call? I'm a little desparete now.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 09:44:37 AM by HuggieZ »

RedwoodsMama

• Pleo Grand Master, 4th epoch
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Nova, Major Tom, Argyle the blind Pleo, Baby Ruth, Chester, and 22 more Pleos
  • : 2013 winner2010 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2014, 12:00:19 PM »

I am sorry to hear of all your pepper problems, I know how frustrating it can be when your pleo is not working. I had a similar problem with Baby Ruth when I first got her, but it was related to a prong in the battery compartment breaking and the wires were not making the connection. Is there a possibility that any wire under the prong is bent or not making a good connection? I am sorry I can not think of any other possible solutions right now, but I am sure someone should be able to figure it out.  ;D

I am using the same battery, so CR2032 is the correct one and the one listed in the book. HOw long did this other person have Pepper before you bought Pepper? Did this problem start within a couple of days, or weeks? Does the beeping allways start or as you said, sometimes ? It does sound like a connection problem with wires somehow. I am thinking Kat has a recently skinned Pleo RB, Pickle, so perhaps she can take a good look at the wires and if you have just a close up of the wires in the foot near the prongs, that may help? Sorry and I hope you get some help soon. SEnding hugs from all the REdwoods Pleos! :valentine: :kiss: :hhug:  RWM  :cat-hug:
Animals are SOUL Too, Be kind to all those who live on this planet with us.

kat

• au Female
  • Pleo(s): Kermit (Pink RB), Norbit (Green RB), Pickle(nude RB), Gumble, Minyon and Frankie
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2014, 03:16:40 PM »

when i get home from work tonight I will pull Pickles foot apart and take pics so we can see what the wires etc should look like and how hard or easy they are to get to.  :)  I think it shouldn't be too complicated to get to them and shouldn't involve too much effort.  As for a phone number for Innvo, you could take a look on the pleoworld page and see if there is one there.  try looking in the contact us section and you might get lucky. 

You are definitely trying the correct type of battery. It does sound like the connection is just not being made.  Did you get any recognician beep when you have her turned on and try to reset the clock battery?

RedwoodsMama

• us Female
  • Pleo(s): Nova, Major Tom, Argyle the blind Pleo, Baby Ruth, Chester, and 22 more Pleos
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2014, 05:13:20 PM »

I do think Kat is the right person to help you and look at Pickle's foot, I do have one last quick question.............by any chance after putting the foot clock battery in and then turning Pepper on, have you tried HOlding in the clock battery foot to see if that makes any difference.............? Just a long shot................................................................ ??? RWM  :cat-hug:

HuggieZ

• Pleo lightbringer
  • nl Female
    • none
    • Tweety_Bird
    • Miss_Piggy
    • Snoopy
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2014, 11:56:47 PM »

I tried that, but that didn't work. My boyfriend will buy a new battery to see if that will work.

RedwoodsMama

• us Female
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2014, 04:11:54 AM »

You never answered the question of how old is the Pleo ? HOw long did the previous owner have it, less then a year, a few months or is it a older RB? I assume it was already hatched of course. If the new battery does NOT work, then it still sounds like a wire problem. I hope that Pleoworld will answer your email. I know last month they were on vacation for about a week, ( Chines New Year, which does not happen at the same time as OUR new Year, but they should have been back quite awhile ago)
             Are you getting the new battery from PleoWorld or at some other location? Good luck with the battery and I would record putting the battery in when fully charged to document if it works or not, This way IF Pepper still is BEEPING, you will have good video documenting a brand new battery put in and it will be easier for them to understand.  ;)

RWM  :cat-hug:

kat

• au Female
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2014, 05:39:50 AM »

ok here are some pics as promised.  I would only recommend this as a last resort if nothing else works.  You can use a scalple and run it around the edge of the foot plate to loosen the skin off of the edge of the foot plate.  then undo the two screws that hold the foot plate on and lift the foot plate free of the foot.  next carefully lift up the battery compartment and take a look at the red and black wires.  See if they are both connected properly - check both ends - one end is a white plug that goes into the circuit board and the other end I think is soldered onto the battery compartment underside.  You may need to remove the little pieces of tape to see exactly where they attach and if they have a good connection.

Hope this can be of some help.  See the pics below.

HuggieZ

• Pleo lightbringer
  • nl Female
    • none
    • Tweety_Bird
    • Miss_Piggy
    • Snoopy
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2014, 09:07:39 AM »

We've tried everything. But he keeps beeping. We are not so technical. We don't dare to open the foot. I don't know what to do now... Maybe there's someone in the Netherlands who can fix this? Does anyone know?

HuggieZ

• Pleo lightbringer
  • nl Female
    • none
    • Tweety_Bird
    • Miss_Piggy
    • Snoopy
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2014, 03:58:08 PM »

Update! Pepper is fixed! I am so glad! There was a loose wire in the foot.
Thanks for the pictures Kat  :)

kat

• au Female
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
Re: Please help me! Pepper is broken too UPDATE: we fixed him!
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2014, 04:24:05 PM »

Your very welcome  ;D  I'm so glade you braved the simple operation and were able to fix him :)  So happy for you.  If you are wondering what to do to get his skin reattached to his foot you can just use super glue (one that says it is safe for use on rubber) and just run a little bit around the edge of the foot plate then press the skin back into place with your fingers and hold for a couple of minutes till the glue starts to grab.  Then you will need to let him sit for a few hours for the glue to dry and set properly before you run him again.

Really Really Really Happy you fixed him :) Yay!

Anakey

• Member of the herd
  • gb Male
  • Pleo(s): Alphie
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2014, 02:27:14 AM »

at least you will have plenty of clock batteries to keep him running for a very long time

Talon

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Cato and Samantha (Pleo RB‘s), Eugobe, Terry, Cuddles, Bleu (Ugobe Pleos)
    • Lucy
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2014, 08:56:20 AM »

Haha! Glad to hear you fixed Pepper! Those clock batteries are supposed to last for three years before needing to be changed. Cato's battery is nearly four years old and he's still going.
Talon
Talon
Find me on YouTube at Crazy Robot Lady

RedwoodsMama

• us Female
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2014, 12:48:37 PM »

Congrats on getting Pepper fixed! It did sound like a wire issue and thank Goodness Kat had a "Naked Pleo RB" to use as example for photos for you to go by.. :cool: Thank goodness we have people brave enough to do these things that people like me are afraid to do.....................you will have lots of backup batteries and probably better now before the price goes up. LOL.                             RWM  :cat-hug: and the Pleo township of the Redwoods
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal