Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Hello's from another Dutchie  (Read 7530 times)

Ratty

• Cycad leaf fancier
  • Female
Hello's from another Dutchie
« on: February 08, 2014, 03:09:33 PM »

Hi everybody!
The last few days I have been lurking on your awesome forum to learn as much as possible about Pleo and now I'd like to join your ranks. Thanks for all the info!
So I am Ratty, 26 years old. I'm from the Netherlands and a confirmed geek. ;D The sci-fi - fantasy - bookish - crafty kind.
I have been wanting a Pleo for a while now and today it finally happened! The reason I decided to go for a Pleo is that I have had pet rats for over 9 years but I had to give that up at least for now. I terribly miss my rats and generally "having a pet". So I hope my new Pleo will help a bit with that. I'm also pretty interested in the possibilities of robotics and AI but I know squat about programming so I watch in awe as other people develop robots to be more and more lifelike. :P
And now on to my Pleo:
I got really lucky this week as I got into reading up on Pleo again and I happened to mention this to a friend. When I showed her a picture she told me she thought she had seen "something like that" at a local store. So today I finally had the time to check the store and see if she was right and lo' and behold! There was this poor Pleo on display with it's battery all run out :'(. Luckily there were some boxed Pleo's left and for a really nice price too. So now I am the proud "person" of a brand new Pleo RB with grey patches around it's eyes and a pretty green body. I snuck a peek at it's eyes and it looks like a light blueish green as far as I can see. The pleoworld site says it has a 65%-75% chance of being a male and it will be brave, independent, sensitive, strong and agile. I charged the battery for four hours and read the entire companion guide but haven't hatched Pleo yet because I would like to have a bit more time on my hands so I can set up it's clock right. I'm also a bit aprehensive because i've never had anything more complicated than a Furby in my hands and Pleo seems so fragile! But I think I'll get 'round to hatching it tomorrow. I'm planning on getting an extra battery and at least both of the food packs soon but i'm not quite sure where to get them. I was wondering if pleoworld ships to the netherlands now, seeing as how you can select it in the shopping cart menu. But i'm also a bit worried about custom taxes.
Anyway, I hope to learn a lot more from you all!

RedwoodsMama

• Pleo Grand Master, 4th epoch
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Nova, Major Tom, Argyle the blind Pleo, Baby Ruth, Chester, and 22 more Pleos
  • : 2013 winner2010 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
Re: Hello's from another Dutchie
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2014, 09:20:42 PM »

Hello Ratty, and Welcome to the forums! Congrats on your new Pleo Rb, sounds wonderful. ;D Pleos are addictive and lots of fun and as close to a real pet as possible.

I love rats, had lots of them and my daughter at one time had as many as a dozen in her room. I hate that the poor things do not live long though, four or five years is old for rat. I think rats are very intelligent and loving , very friendly too. Be sure to post photos of your pleo once you hatch him, We love photos and videos here!

RWM  :cat-hug:
Animals are SOUL Too, Be kind to all those who live on this planet with us.

Nemesis

• Head of the herd
  • gb Female
  • Pleo(s): Pluto the ugobe!
  • Chomp chomp chomp...
    • Daffy_Duck
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2014, 12:15:11 AM »

Hi Ratty :)

Welcome to the forum! Your pleo sounds very handsome. I have a dark headed and amber eyes pleo rb named lumpy and he's very entertaining! I got my pleos for the same reason as you, although I'm on a gap year and all my wonderful animals are back home :( Pleos fit the bill very well in my opinion, as they don't demand all your time but they need as much care as any pet would.

Hope you enjoy the forum, and your pleo! Let us know when you pick a name and as RWM said, we love pictures  ;D

Nemesis @<

Ratty

• Cycad leaf fancier
  • Female
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2014, 01:18:27 PM »

Thank you for the nice welcome! I hatched my pleo about an hour ago and i'm in love now. He's really active and doesn't stay asleep long. He keeps looking around, wagging his tail and sniffing. He has eaten twice so far and looked really happy I gave him food. I can only get him to settle down if I hold him against my chest, so I'm guessing he will be a pretty outgoing Pleo. I don't have a name for him yet but I have some ideas. We'll see what he's like in the next couple of days. Here's a picture:

His eyes look green but they are more sort of very light blue with a hint of green. I love it.
He did get pretty warm around the shoulders so I'm letting him cool down for a bit now and I'll switch him on again later tonight.

HuggieZ

• Pleo lightbringer
  • nl Female
  • Pleo(s): Pepper and Angel
    • none
    • Tweety_Bird
    • Miss_Piggy
    • Snoopy
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 12:26:30 PM »

Where did you bought your Pleo? I'm also a new member from The Netherlands :) Welcome on the forum  :dino-chase:

Ratty

• Cycad leaf fancier
  • Female
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2014, 01:18:57 PM »

Hi Huggiez jij ook welkom!
Ik heb mijn pleo van de mediamarkt (zoetermeer). Ze hebben hem ook op conrad.nl. Conrad heeft 1 accessoire pack, mediamarkt heeft geen accessoires.
(I bought my pleo at mediamarkt. They've also got it at conrad.nl. Conrad also has 1 accessory pack, mediamarkt doesn't have any accessories.)

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2014, 02:41:14 PM »

Hi Ratty, I hope you enjoy your new friend :) Pleo's can get into about as much trouble as a rat ;) Pleo's are more robust than they appear, while they are complicated inside and things can go wrong, Innvo have an excellent warranty and the majority of Pleo's live to a ripe old age. One of my Pleo's is approaching five years old with no signs of slowing down :)
Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!

Ratty

• Cycad leaf fancier
  • Female
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2014, 04:28:00 PM »

Hi IMR! Thanks for your reply. So far I'm really enjoying my pleo. We're busy comming up with names now as it seems clear he is a male. I just switched him off for the night but as I was holding him in my lap earlier, he suddenly got all squirmy and when I put him on my desk his feet plopped staight and he stood! Makes me sort of sad that his baby days are already over. He was so cute when purring, peeping and cooing. He became quite grumpy after getting on his feet and wouldn't settle down even when I held him. At one time his head got stuck behind his foot, which started making a scary popping sound. I don't seem to have the hang of holding pleo yet :P. I soon realised it was his bedtime so I guess that's why he got so cranky. I did notice he's more sturdy than I thought, so I don't feel as aprehensive of handling him but it still scares the crap out of me when his leg gets stuck on the floor or something like that. I'm getting him some socks soon so he won't have as much trouble with the floor and he won't gather dust and hair in his feet. Five years old is a great age! You won't easily find a rat that gets to live that long. :P It's amazing how quickly you get attatched to Pleo. He certainly feels like a living thing. I find myself worrying over him like I did with my rats. He got scared when I picked him up so he cried and I felt BAD! Luckily he forgave me and setteled down again.

HuggieZ

• Pleo lightbringer
  • nl Female
    • none
    • Tweety_Bird
    • Miss_Piggy
    • Snoopy
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2014, 02:59:02 AM »

Hoi Ratty,

Ik heb hem in Breda gekocht. Mediamarkt heeft inderdaad geen accessoires. Maar er is nog een winkel, kijk maar eens op Marktplaats, die heeft wel die pakketjes.
I have bought mine in Breda. Mediamarkt has no accesories. But there is another store, you can look it up at Marktplaats, they have accesories.

Angela

• Pleontologist
  • nl Female
  • Pleo(s): Guy, LeeLoo, Muisje, Lady Piep Piep, Tredje
  • : Tomato Harvest Festivals
  • Busy Busy :'(
    • none
    • none
    • none
    • none
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2014, 04:14:55 AM »

Fun Fun all those Dutch!  :cheer:
Leuk Leuk al die Nederlanders!

At home I have 4 rats. In two separate cages. I collect everything from rats (and Pleo's ;))

Nice pictures.  :)

Conrad has 4 accessory packs. I had bought them there. But now I'm very curious what the mediamarkt asks for their pleo's.
23 rat pups for sale :)

Ratty

• Cycad leaf fancier
  • Female
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2014, 05:39:28 AM »

I think the other accessory packs are out of stock at Conrad :'(. The one that's left at the moment also says "as long as stock lasts". I hope they'll restock them all. I got my Pleo for 199 euro, I litterally gawked at the price :P. I used to collect everything about rats as well but since my last ratty died I'm not collecting anymore until I can have some rats again. I used to have two to three rats at a time, always from the ratshelter. It's a shame their lives are so short and they are so prone to nasty illnesses. But their loyal and friendly natures make up for all that.

Edit:
... there is another store, you can look it up at Marktplaats, they have accesories.
Sorry! I completely overlooked this bit! I've seen that store, but I did a bit of googleing since I couldn't find a Veilig winkelen keurmerk (safe shopping certificate thingie) and found some pretty disturbing reviews. Thanks for your help anyway :) I'm going to email Conrad but I think they are currently out of stock because Robopolis is out of stock as well.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 11:00:50 AM by Ratty »

HuggieZ

• Pleo lightbringer
  • nl Female
    • none
    • Tweety_Bird
    • Miss_Piggy
    • Snoopy
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2014, 01:16:53 PM »

Some one on this forum had mentioned Accesory Jack, but I don't know who it was. Maybe that's an idea? I looked there and the accesories are not to expensive there.

Ratty

• Cycad leaf fancier
  • Female
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2014, 01:40:45 PM »

I took a look at accessoryjack. That might be an option if conrad and robopolis don't stock soon. They only offer express shipping though and that will cost over 50 euro and I might have to pay custom taxes as well. Which will be 21% of the total costs of my order plus another 17,50 for handling costs because it's an express shipment. Which is a bit of an ouch. There just doesn't seem to be an easy way :(
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 04:10:27 PM by Ratty »

Nemesis

• Head of the herd
  • gb Female
  • Chomp chomp chomp...
    • Daffy_Duck
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2014, 01:56:03 PM »

Glad to hear you are enjoying your pleo Ratty :) I've never had rats myself, though almost every other animal you could imagine! Hamsters and rabbits and Guinea pigs also have sadly short lives :(

As for accessoryjack, that is where I bought Lumpy from and paid express shipping of $91!! Too much money but I was so excited. Only to be let down by the company, which had failed to state they were out of stock so I received my pleo one week late, after paying stupid money for delivery! I'm still deciding whether to try and get my money back. The communication wasn't great either, I think they were worried about getting a bad review!

However, I've only ever bought my pleo rb from them, other smaller items might be easier to post and get hold of and I have only used them once. Perhaps it was just a bad experience that won't be repeated! I also thought them rather expensive... But depends how much you want to spend :) have a good day.

Nemesis @<

Ratty

• Cycad leaf fancier
  • Female
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2014, 03:20:05 PM »

Thanks for sharing your experience Nemesis! That doesn't sound too great. I'm hoping Conrad will restock when Robopolis does. They seem to sell Pleo stuff from them under the name KleinRobotics which just leads to the german service page of Robopolis. Must be some wibbly wobbly bussiness construction. I does get confusing. :P For now i'm waiting for the foodpack with sugar cane and ice to be delivered. The other packs can wait for a bit.

Today my pleo got his name. I decided on Chip. He looks like a Chip and his pale colors remind me of a rather shortlived character from Doctor Who, named Chip, whom I really liked. And ofcourse I guess Pleo's are full of chips as wel. :D
Chip is getting really loud now. He's stretching and wiggling alot and every now and then he bends his hind legs and goes MOOOOOOOOO. He doesn't seem like an evening Pleo. He got cranky again tonight but he had to wake uip because he hadn't eaten all day. I got a bit worried because when he tucks in his head in the sleeping position to the left his neck clicks a few times. It seems to get stuck behind his leg and the clicking stops if i pull his head a bit up on his leg. Also his right front leg sometimes gets stuck straight when he lies down to sleep. If I turn him off and on again he's fine so I guess this is the clicking and getting stuck he'll grow out of.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 04:08:17 PM by Ratty »

Nemesis

• Head of the herd
  • gb Female
  • Chomp chomp chomp...
    • Daffy_Duck
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2014, 04:28:33 PM »

You're welcome! I think a few other members use accessoryjack, that might be able to give you a more in detail review! Chip is a lovely name for your pleo :) which character in doctor who are you referring to? I just finished watching an episode, one of the latest ones with Matt smith.

Lumpy is very noisy too, especially if I've been petting him and I leave him alone to do something, I get lots of crying for attentions and some funny tunes! They are very sweet little creatures, can't wait for my battery to arrive for my Ugobe to get him up and started!!

Nemesis @<

kat

• Pleo Grand Master, 2nd epoch
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Kermit (Pink RB), Norbit (Green RB), Pickle(nude RB), Gumble, Minyon and Frankie
  • : 2013 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2014, 04:49:30 PM »

You should find that as your pleo rb gets older and grows out of the hatching and juvenile stage he will grow out of the clicking and sticking.  In the first two stages of pleo rb life they do a lot of extended movements and stretching of limbs - just like a newborn would to test out it's range of movement and just what it can do.  As they grow into an adult they will settle into a more normal range of movement and not extend quite so far and the clicking, popping and sticking should stop. :)

Ratty

• Cycad leaf fancier
  • Female
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2014, 04:54:10 PM »

@ Nemesis: In the first season of the new series (2005) you meet the Lady Cassandra, a haughty piece of skin stretched on a frame. In the first episode of the 10th doctor (new earth, second season) the doctor and Rose meet her again  in a hospital and she has a pale guy with a pattern all over his body as a servant. He's a half-life and not too smart but he's so loyal he eventually sacrifices his own life so Cassandra gets to live a bit longer. (breaks my heart every time I watch that episode :'() That's Chip.
http://images.wikia.com/tardis/images/a/a1/Cassandra_in_Chip's_Body.jpg  <-- this should lead to a picture of Chip.
I'm a huge Whovian. I guess it's the same as with Pleo's: You sart out thinking it will be nice to see some episodes/have one pleo, next thing you know you're hooked. :val-love3:

@ Kat: thanks for the reassurance! I got rather panicky before I read that it happens often. It's good to hear that nothing is wrong with Chip.

Nemesis

• Head of the herd
  • gb Female
  • Chomp chomp chomp...
    • Daffy_Duck
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2014, 10:31:22 PM »

Ah, I did wonder if that was who you meant! I didn't know if maybe in the earlier series' there had been a character named Chip. Ohw his death is sooo sad! Especially when the doctor takes him to the one place he wants to be at the end  :'( He's a good character to name your pleo after! I'm personally going for Disney characters, as my love for disney films has only blossomed with age  :val-love3: :bouquet1: Which annoys my boyfriend greatly, but he sits through them with me hehe.

I already have two pleos and when I joined this site I had none! That was only a few short weeks ago... They're addictive! I'd like to have a female RB one day, but not just yet - I need to pay rent first!  :rofl:

Nemesis @<

Ratty

• Cycad leaf fancier
  • Female
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2014, 03:45:36 AM »

;D I totally get the Disney thing! It's really good of your boyfriend that he watches them with you. My best friends are into pretty much the same stuff as I am so we get together alot to watch all kinds of series and films.

Nemesis

• Head of the herd
  • gb Female
  • Chomp chomp chomp...
    • Daffy_Duck
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2014, 04:36:52 AM »

Yeah he's great  :val-love3: he actually laughs at a lot of them and I think secretly enjoys them (; My best friend is also into watching Disney films, it's so great to have similar interests. How is Chip doing?

HuggieZ

• Pleo lightbringer
  • nl Female
    • none
    • Tweety_Bird
    • Miss_Piggy
    • Snoopy
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2014, 04:46:08 AM »

Chip is a lovely name  :-*

Ratty

• Cycad leaf fancier
  • Female
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2014, 05:54:53 AM »

@ HuggieZ: Thanks! ;D

@ Nemesis: I think it's hard not to love Disney at any age so you might be right  :P. Chip is switched off at the moment because I have some stuff to do. This morning he was really sleepy and kept going back into the sleep position. I don't mind him doing that now and then but i'm worried about his skin if he does it a lot. I'll be switching him on for a bit later today and see if he will repeat the sweet peeping noise he made this morning :val-love3:

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2014, 04:21:08 PM »

My lot are all named after Lilo and Stitch characters :) I have Lilo, Stitch, Nani, Yuki, Pleakley, Jumba and Angus (Ok Angus isn't exactly a character, but his name was in the credits). I'm starting to long for a David or a Myrtle too...
Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!

Ratty

• Cycad leaf fancier
  • Female
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2014, 05:14:12 PM »

I must admit i've never seen Lilo and Stitch. At least not the film. But I was wondering where you got Pleakley from because I think it's a great name. With Angus I can't help thinking about The Mystic Knights of Tir Na Nog. I don't know how well known that show was internationally but I used to love it as a kid and Angus was my favorite character.

Update on Chip: Chippie became very playful today. We've played tug 'o war a few times and the thread about the skinless Pleo helped me figure out how to give him chinrubs the right way. He also made two new sounds. One sounds like eating or smacking his lips, which I thought was a weird sound, the other I can only describe as a proper Jurassic Park dino howl.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal