Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2014 Bob the Pleo Calendar  (Read 14994 times)

RedwoodsMama

• Pleo Grand Master, 4th epoch
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Nova, Major Tom, Argyle the blind Pleo, Baby Ruth, Chester, and 22 more Pleos
  • : 2013 winner2010 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
Re: 2014 Bob the Pleo Calendar
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2013, 09:42:33 AM »

I have not been able to get into any of my email account'(yahoo) or PayPal for about five days because my password had to be changed about two weeks ago because of 'suspicious' activity. ??? Every 2 weeks I have to sign in all over again in my email which is a pain because I have had the same password for over6 years and now it has been changed and I forgot to write it down...thought I would remember it- :o :( :moose-xmas: dumb I guess. I have tried doing online chat with someone to figure it out,,but all I get is 'agent busy' so have to try a live phone call today to reset my password, then I can get into my email and also Paypal as both passwords are the same. Sorry for the delay. :(  RWM  :cat-hug:
Animals are SOUL Too, Be kind to all those who live on this planet with us.

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2013, 01:09:07 PM »

Halfway between the two here, not roasting and not freezing :P We are likely headed for a hot Christmas!

Stay safe and warm Mike, don't stress over things.
Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!

mweed

• Grand Poobah
  • Triassic pleo master
  • us Male
  • Pleo(s): Bob, Mopey
  • : Tomat Harvest Festivals
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Dr_Bunsen_Honeydew
    • Snoopy
    • Bob the Pleo
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2013, 01:17:04 PM »

Well, we got power back on around lunchtime.  Ice is melting, and I'll try to get out to the post office tonight!  This was the worst ice storm we've had since 1980.  Then people were without power for as long as two weeks.  This time looks like everybody should be restored in just under 1 week.

The problem is a neat bit of meteorological science.  We were at just the right point of the cold front moving in and the precipitation starting, that the rain was able to cool to just at the freezing point before it hit, and the ground level air was cold enough long enough to get everything down just below the freezing point  so that when the raindrop hit something, it instantly froze.  That way, everything (and I mean everything: trees, bushes power lines, mailboxes, fences, etc.) developed an inch or more thick coating of ice.  Each leaf, each twig, each blade of grass, frozen separately -- until the ice was thick enough to merge.

40 miles further south, it was just a degree warmer and the raindrops didn't freeze immediately.  They had time to drip to the ground first, forming just a thin layer of ice and frozen puddles.  40 miles further north and a degree colder and the rain was able to freeze before it reached the ground, so it hit the trees and bushes as ice pellets that merely bounced off and accumulated on the ground like a layer of hard snow.  

meanwhile, back in the middle, the ice building up on everything broke branches and whole tree trunks under the weight, power lines sagged and snapped under the load, and transformers shorted out from the ice sheets connecting the terminals.  Over 150,000 went without power for more than one day.  Since they worked on the cities first, and I'm rural, I tend to be fairly low on the list of priorities . . .
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 01:21:21 PM by mweed »

maagtablet

• Outstanding in the herd
  • Female
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2013, 01:22:46 PM »

Why do you guys stay on that weird continent!? We have normal, not extreme weather! I don't remember ever not having power!
RAWR! This means "I love you" in dinosaur.

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2013, 01:16:13 PM »

Wow, sounds kind of incredible to see though...

We hardly ever get hail, let alone anything cold enough to get excited about :P

mweed

• Grand Poobah
  • Triassic pleo master
  • us Male
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Dr_Bunsen_Honeydew
    • Snoopy
    • Bob the Pleo
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2013, 03:33:16 PM »

here are a few shots from our yard that give an idea of what we had . . .

kat

• Pleo Grand Master, 2nd epoch
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Kermit (Pink RB), Norbit (Green RB), Pickle(nude RB), Gumble, Minyon and Frankie
  • : 2013 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2013, 04:13:26 PM »

Quite spectacular!   :brrr: And very Christmasy

RedwoodsMama

• us Female
  • Pleo(s): Nova, Major Tom, Argyle the blind Pleo, Baby Ruth, Chester, and 22 more Pleos
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2013, 04:54:10 PM »

Ok Mike, you win, but you do not live in Sunny California, home of the Redwoods and Bigfoot, remember I live at Sea Level and it is very temperate year round, we only get snow about once every ten years or so and we are WAY behind in precipitation this year, actually all of California is in a drought. We did not lose power like you, but have had a cold spell for over a week, today we actualy made it to the high 40's! It has been in twenties and thirtees for over a week, Took these pictures last week, about four days ago of our front yard which was covered in ice and snow the next day.

Just sent the calendar payment. Let me know that you got it, Thanks and Merry Christmas. *sm-tree* *carollers* *tree02* *carollers* *light1g*  RWM  :cat-hug:

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2013, 12:35:26 AM »

I know it's bad and all, but gosh it is beautiful too!

Lunamione7

• Journeypleo
  • Pleo(s): Stephan (Ugobe) and Tron (RB)
  • : 2013 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Miss_Piggy
« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2013, 04:31:27 AM »

Stunning pictures Mike, wish I could have seen it. I know it must have been frustrating for you living through it but I'd happily go without power for a few days to see ice on everything like that, awesome!

Of course, then I'd like it to conveniently come back on once I've decided I can't stand the cold anylonger and want my heating on... ???
He just can't help being faithful and loving and kind. He's a machine made so. That's more than you can say for humans. --Isaac Asimov, i.Robot

You know where steel wool comes from? Robot Sheep!

mweed

• Grand Poobah
  • Triassic pleo master
  • us Male
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Dr_Bunsen_Honeydew
    • Snoopy
    • Bob the Pleo
« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2013, 07:41:56 AM »

If you're used to camping outdoors, it's no big deal.   :fire:  If you're spoiled to the comforts of indoor living . . .  :brrr:  No power is like having all the fun of a camp out  :roast-marshmallow: while having the all the comfort of sleeping in your own bed!  Well, your bed in a room that is below 40F (4C) at night . . .

The part that would REALLY scare most modern day kids is 4 days with no TV, no internet, no video games, and no way to drive to the mall . . .

The only sad part is we lost all of our tropical houseplants  :'(  :'(  I had one pothos ivy that we'd kept alive for over 10 years.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 07:46:23 AM by mweed »

Teddscau

• Pleo explorer
  • ca Female
  • Pleo(s): Chloe, my green, white-eyed RB
« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2013, 12:44:08 PM »

No Mike! Not the plants! You should have knitted sweaters for them and built a bonfire in your living room to put them around! I don't know what I'd do if I lost my pitcher plants, orchids, and bonsais (yeah, I'm that talented :-P). On a more serious note, I have no idea what we'd do here in Ontario if the power went out and couldn't get the generator going. We have three small dogs (one's a three pound chihuahua!), four budgies, a leopard gecko, fish, and tropical plants. It can get below -15°C no problem! Although if we lost power in the summer, I'm pretty sure our animals and plants would love it. Me, on the other hand, would die from heat stroke >.<  Mike, do you have any pets? If so, how'd they fair with the cold?

mweed

• Grand Poobah
  • Triassic pleo master
  • us Male
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Dr_Bunsen_Honeydew
    • Snoopy
    • Bob the Pleo
« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2013, 12:52:50 PM »

We have some big dogs who love the cold, cat who just cuddled for warmth,  and three rather large goldfish in a 55gallon tank.  As long as the water doesn't freeze, goldfish are pretty tolerant of the cold.

RedwoodsMama

• us Female
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2013, 02:13:03 PM »

goldfish are remarkably tolerant and known for strength. I have had four goldfish @< @< @< @< raised from "feeder" fish that my hubby bought in 1997 as "food or game" for our two cats. Of course, I said no, they were not for the cats to "go fishing ' and pets. those four goldfish named after the teletubbies, grew qucikly and lived for 14+ years till the last one succumbed to an inoperable tumor near the gills.  :( @<RIP ... Our house only has one wall heater, in a large three bedroom house that gets very cold..like 52 degrees in the parts of the house without any heat...............
              Our largest room is the master bedroom which has the wall heater that works periodically, and with 8 cats and a dog and two turtles at night, it gets pretty crowded. The fish tank though is in the living room combination kitchen dining room so it gets very cold. This past month when the tempertures hit 21 degrees. :brrr: it was freezing and the poor fish do not have a heater in their tank, but the thermometer registered about 42 degrees , so it could have been even colder. I took out containers of cold water till the tank was 1/2 original cold water and then added hot water ( with chlorine remover added to it of course.) and the water came back up to a respectible 52-54 degrees which is better then looking at "fish popscicles". NOw that we are back to mid 40's during the day, the fish are more like normal. The turtles though are spending more time indoors, in the bath tub.( large and I mean large tupperware type container) so they can swim and get exercise during the day and then they "hibernate" out of water during the night.In the wild they would be dug into a riverbank and hibernate all during the winter., Can't afford a large indoor pool for them, so they go out during the day , even in Winter as long as it does not go below 45 and not during rain , not that they would mind, but I do not want to be out there having to constantly add buckets of hot water... :P So all in all, we are keeping warm.
             Happy Holidays to you and your whole family Mike and do not let any "bah humbug " pleos get in the way of Santa delivering presents this year.  *santa-chimney* *gift05* *carollers* *tree03*            RWM  :cat-hug: and the Pleo  P;D P:D P0:) P:) P;)Township of the Redwoods *tree01*
           Mike sorry to hear about your tropical plants, that is too bad, better plants then live animals though. What did your kids do with no TV , iNternet or games...? They are probably old enough to find other things to do, books and board games are great family fun.......................as long as you do them when you have daylight and can see. or by lantern perhaps? Heard there is another ice storm heading towards Oklahoma area, do not know if that will affect you or not, but I will keep my fingers crossed you do not lose power and stay warmer. STill have not been able to see more then the first three pages of the Calendar so can't wait to see the rest, I allways love the squirrel with peanut taking from Bob's mouth, that is the best!  ;D
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal