Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A few "newbie" questions/possible problems  (Read 2847 times)

Fleur

• Pleo wanderer
  • Female
A few "newbie" questions/possible problems
« on: August 30, 2012, 07:50:11 PM »

So I got my Pleo RB today and I let the battery charge until the indicator was green on the charger (he was charging all day, maybe 8 hours total) and I started him up to play with him and during the hour and a half I had him running he shut off about 4 times.  Before he shut off he beeped twice and stood up and shut down, not in the curled up position.  I pressed the power button and he came back on but continued to do this.  He started to get warm towards the end of our play time and now he just shut off again but won't turn back on.  From what I understand they are supposed to have a 2-3 hour run time, especially if they are not that active.  Now when I try and turn him on the indicator light turns green, then flashes red and goes off.  Is this a defective battery?  I have no idea of actually knowing how old this Pleo is but I do know he was never used.  My Pleo is a green RB and I thought it strange that they cape he came with was just a tan colored cape, when all the other capes I see are painted to match the Pleo, mine isn't, does this mean he is an older RB?  I haven't set his "noon" time yet, could this be why he won't turn on?  I'm a little confused about what he is doing and the manual isn't that helpful.  Also is it normal for Pleo to get warm? When I took his battery out it was pretty hot to the touch, I just want to make sure he is functioning like he should be.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Dante (ers-7m3b) Lela (ers-7m3w) Sonny (ers-7m3t) Oliver (ers-111/w) Otis (ers-111/w) Zero (ers-220/tk) Zephyr (ers-210b) Victor (NAO H25 V4) Kiwi (Genibo QD/Pink) Buster (Pleo RB) Leo (Ugobe Pleo)

kat

• Pleo Grand Master, 2nd epoch
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Kermit (Pink RB), Norbit (Green RB), Pickle(nude RB), Gumble, Minyon and Frankie
  • : 2013 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
Re: A few "newbie" questions/possible problems
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 09:43:43 PM »

It does sound like your having a bit of an issue with the battery.  * hours is too long for the battery to take to charge.  Maybe it wasn't seated properly in the cradle?  I would suggest trying to recharge the battery again - it should only take 3 to 4 hours to charge and you should get 2 hours playtime.  As your pleo is still a hatchling I don't think that it is the noon clock causing him/ her to fall asleep but it can't hurt to try resetting the noon clock and see if that helps just encase.  It is normal for pleos to sometimes run hot and they will shut down if they get too hot.  If this happens (which it sounds like it might be what is happening to yours) then you should switch off and take the battery out and give it 20mins or so to cool down then you should be able to put it back in and start your pleo up and play some more.  I found with mine they were all more prone to overheating batteries and random freezing moments throughout the first few battery cycles while they were in the hatchiling stage but it did seem to wear off over time as they progressed to different stages of development.
All of my pleo rb's came with the plain brown cape.  I think the green patterned one is something that has been around for Ugobe pleos for a long time and they have only just very very recently started doing them for pleo rb's.  I'm not sure if they are including the patterned ones in with the pleo rb's as yet or if it is an extra you can buy separately.
Anyway hope some of this helps.   :)

Floodsy

• Pleo explorer
  • Female
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 10:21:35 PM »

I dont have a Pleo RB yet but I've had a lot of computers overheat and shut down on me.  I have a feeling poor Pleo may have overheated... :(   But again, I dont have one yet, so I'm not completely sure.  I just know that they have some form of computer.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 10:28:20 PM by Floodsy »

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2012, 11:19:38 PM »

Please don't ever charge your battery for eight hours, if it has not turned green after four take it off, let it cool and then reseat it. Remember the light needs to be solid red, flashing means its too hot or not seated properly. You should feel two clicks when you push it in. One at the front and the second at the back of the battery/charger.
Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!

Lunamione7

• Journeypleo
  • Pleo(s): Stephan (Ugobe) and Tron (RB)
  • : 2013 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Miss_Piggy
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2012, 01:59:43 AM »

I think your battery is a dud  :( It should only take between 2-3 hours or 4 hours if brand new to fully charge and then you should get 2+ hours play time. Flashing red in the Pleo means it is not charged enough, flashing red on the charge cradle means it is not seated properly. It takes a while to get the hang of it, RB chargers are a pain in the bum, I can't even breath around mine or it will start to flash.

Two beeps means he thinks his battery is low so he is shutting down to save progress, if he was just going to sleep he would have curled up. They do sleep an awful lot when in hatchling phase but food can help keep them awake.

RBs do run hot although mine has never overheated or shut down due to being to hot and he wears two layers of clothes so form my personal experience overheating isn't a common problem.

I think with the brown cape he might be older, I know the older ones came with brown capes but all the newest arrivals I have seen (my RB included) have come with the green capes so perhaps he is older and the battery pack has died due to not being used?

If it is the noon time clock making him sleepy he should curl up and beep once which is why I say it is a battery problem because of the way it is going to packing position and beeping twice. Mine does that when his battery needs charging.

You could try baby sitting the battery like can sometimes be done with Aibo batteries. Put it on the charger, wait till it turns green, take it off, put it back on... until it turns green right away. See if that makes any difference.

ONE beep means: Pleo has gone to sleep and will wake up in a few hours. If you set the noon clock at 12pm and he falls asleep at say 10pm he will wake up by himself at 8am.

TWO beems means: flat battery.

THREE beeps means: you have manually shut Pleo down yourself.
He just can't help being faithful and loving and kind. He's a machine made so. That's more than you can say for humans. --Isaac Asimov, i.Robot

You know where steel wool comes from? Robot Sheep!

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
  • Pleo(s): Iggy, Budge, Moschops, Monty, Emmy. Belle, Zillah, Tribble
  • : 2010 winnerTomat Harvest Festivals
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2012, 02:51:36 AM »

Belle overheated and shut down mid battery a couple of times when I first got her.  She grew out of it, though.

IMHO the Pleo RB beeps once when the RB falls asleep and means he or she might wake up again, beeps twice when you shut down with the button, and combines the two (meaning three beeps) when the RB shuts right down (and saves any accumulated data) on its own due to a low battery.

Fleur

• Pleo wanderer
  • Female
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2012, 07:48:50 AM »

Ok, so bad battery :(  Is there anything better to buy than the one on innvolabs' site?  That makes me think this Pleo is older since he was never used and he has a bad battery.  usually batteries can sit for a couple years and be ok..  I think there was some confusion about the battery and when I left it charging.  It was charging at work and it was red, when i took him home on lunch I left it on the charger so that would have been a total of 8 hours, but when i got home it was green.  It never flashed red at all.  it just flashed red on the Pleo itself after he shut off and I tried to turn him back on.  

Also for the noon clock.  In the manual it says set it when he is off but has the battery in him right?  I did that but I also did it while he was awake and he made a little beep.  Is this ok?  Thanks so much for the help!
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 09:36:04 AM by Fleur »
Dante (ers-7m3b) Lela (ers-7m3w) Sonny (ers-7m3t) Oliver (ers-111/w) Otis (ers-111/w) Zero (ers-220/tk) Zephyr (ers-210b) Victor (NAO H25 V4) Kiwi (Genibo QD/Pink) Buster (Pleo RB) Leo (Ugobe Pleo)

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2012, 09:01:55 AM »

There is another battery sold on eBay, but although it makes claims to be better, people who have bought it say it's much the same run time.  I'd stick with Innvo.

If you try to charge the battery again now, what happens? 

Fleur

• Pleo wanderer
  • Female
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2012, 09:46:31 AM »

I charged the battery again and I only got to play with him this morning for probably an hour and he was fine. I will find out more since I have the day off tomorrow.  I will have plenty of time to play with him.  He is already standing and being more active.  I can't wait till he starts walking :)

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2012, 12:12:57 PM »

Yay!  That sounds promising!  ;D

I love it when they start stretching their legs before they walk. :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal