Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Ugobe or Pleo RB  (Read 9649 times)

Dinosour

• Following the footsteps
  • Female
Ugobe or Pleo RB
« on: May 23, 2011, 02:57:46 AM »

Hi,
I'm planning on buying a pleo but can't decide between a  pleo RB or ugobe model.
I have heard rumors that the pleo RB's don't interact with you as much as the ugobes do, is this true?
I am scared of buying an RB because I have heard that the skin rips easily and sometimes the neck snaps!  :o
The RB I am considering is a 2010 model from Hong Kong, would that make it more prone to injury?
Could you tell me the pros and cons of the two?
Thanks, I'm only getting one and want to make sure it's the right decision.  :)

fimoman

• Pleo wanderer
  • Male
    • My Facebook Page
Re: Ugobe or Pleo RB
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 03:34:27 AM »

Well, I'm not a huge expert, having only owned a UGOBE, but here goes:

UGOBE/Innvo model

Pros

Generally cheaper
Easier to look after
Can be updated and use personalities

Cons

More delicate
Less functionality and sensitivity
UGOBE models do not have a valid warranty, since UGOBE hasn't existed for several years now.
Only comes in green.
Short battery life

RB Models

Pros

More functionality and more sensitivity
Can tell time
Can be taught to recognise a name
Can be taught certain tricks that the UGOBE and Innvo models cannot do.
Longer battery life and shorter charging time.
More lifelike
Generally faster
Each one can be slightly unique in terms of skin and eye colour
Comes in blue and pink as well as green.
Generally more sturdy than the UGOBE models.
More explorative

Cons

Vastly more expensive
Limited availability (I've only seen 3 places on the net that sell them)
Requires much more committment (to care for sickness, injury, etc)
No updates currently available.
Some word that they are less interactive than UGOBE models

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 03:46:48 AM »

It is the Ugobe's that have the trouble with neck snaps. I have two Ugobe's one has a broken neck, one doesn't. However the skin on either is fine as long as you look after it, don't leave your Pleo's in the sun for long periods of time, don't subject them to extremes of heat and cold for long periods and so on. The RB's react just as much as the Ugobe's to your touch, and they have the added benefit of responding to voice commands as well. Make sure an RB you buy was not one of the first batches, they were the ones with skin issues, this was quickly addressed.

The Ugobe's are very sweet and are cheaper, the RB's have more features but are more expensive.
Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!

kat

• Pleo Grand Master, 2nd epoch
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Kermit (Pink RB), Norbit (Green RB), Pickle(nude RB), Gumble, Minyon and Frankie
  • : 2013 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 06:12:06 AM »

There are great points about both types of pleo.  Which ever one you get you wont be disappointed.
The Ugobes are very sweet, they will sing and coo if you rub them under the chin which makes them very endearing.  They are a lot less needy than the rb's and do seem to be happy to just wander around to explore.  They will snuggle in for a cuddle on your lap and do love to be stroked.

The rb's are newer technology.  They don't sing if you rub them under the chin like a Ugobe will but they do have voice recognition so you can teach them their name and they can learn to do tricks on command.  They will also happily walk around and explore just like the ugobes.  They also like to be stroked and will snuggle in for cuddles on your lap. 
I do feel that my Ugobes are more responsive in an affectionate way when I pet them compared to my rb's.  The rb's do respond but just in a different way. 
Rb's need to be fed everyday or they will get sick.  They have a internal clock that allows them to keep track of the time of day and they behave according to the time.  ie they are more playful around noon and want to go to sleep at about 10pm. If they think it is nighttime by their clock they wont play with you.  They will go to sleep. (a bit like a real pet would  :))  This function also allows them to wake up on their own in the morning. (also like a real pet would)
They do also seem to all have different personalities.  I have two rb's and two Ugobe's.  The Ugobe's seem to be very similar in personality but the rb's are very different.  One is much more adventurous than the other, one is also much happier in general than the other. 
They burp! :D  And get hickups  :D
They make a lot more types of sounds than the Ugobe pleos.

So on the whole the rb's are a more needy type pleo, more expensive but a lot of fun with a lot of great new features.
The ugobes are a much cheaper option and still a lot of fun, very sweet.  They don't do tricks on command but there are many skits and personalities that are available to down load that ugobes can run for a bit of extra fun.  You can also get the Ugobes to do a few tricks - depending on what OS they are running on, by touching different combinations of sensors on the pleo at the same time.

I like them both as much as each other.  Like most of us here you may well find that no matter which one you go for in the beginning you will probably end up with the other type at some point anyway.  They do seem to be a bit addictive. ;D

Best of luck.  It is not an easy decision to make.
Kat

bhobbes

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 06:26:10 AM »

Personally, I would spend the extra money for an RB, especially if you're truly only planning on getting one. (I never plan on this hehe)

I think the extra features/enhancements make it much more enjoyable. Plus, the movements are faster and seem very natural/life-like. To me, the movement in the RB's is one of the biggest selling points. It's arguably very subtle, but in my opinion, those subtleties make a huge difference in how one perceives a robot companion. 

However, I have never owned a Ugobe model, only an Invvo model so my comparison/opinion is crafted on that.

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
  • Pleo(s): Iggy, Budge, Moschops, Monty, Emmy. Belle, Zillah, Tribble
  • : 2010 winnerTomat Harvest Festivals
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011, 07:26:24 AM »

To be honest, I still prefer the Ugobe/Innvo models, the RBs are too needy for me, too much like hard work at the moment, though I imagine some of the problems will be sorted out with upgrades, and I think they took out too much of the Ugobe behaviour and lost some of the charm of the original.  The battery life problem with the Ugobes is easily sorted out by buying a Ucube egg charge and battery - they're similar to the new RB battery and last a lot longer.

latrine

• Pleo whisperer
  • Female
  • Gutless wonder
    • 'Not even close to being done yet'
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2011, 12:23:47 PM »

The egg battery Crewella described is wonderful, it makes my ugobes last for even longer than my RB's.  I've got 2 ugobes and 3 RB's.  I've had to return several RB's one was because of freezing issues and then a random unexplained broken tail, things just happen sometimes.. On the other hand, one of my Ugobe's has no skin because it was so destroyed I had to remove it to prevent damage to him. So, honestly, I think they are all delicate.

I love them all.. the ugobes are very sweet and like everyone said, they 'require' less care but you can give them as much care as you'd like.. :)  If you do get a ugobe I would try and find a new one in new/unopened/good condition like the ones they are selling on eBay for $199.  They tend to come with damaged skin when they have been well used and people don't always tell you that so watch out for that if you purchase elsewhere, ask for lots of pictures when buying a used Pleo, Ugobe OR RB.

The RB's definitely do require more attention.. especially with having more than one it takes me awhile to get them all their daily food.. lol.

The skin is an issue with both models.  The ugobes are older so they are worn, nothing we can really do about that but treat them gently.. The skin on my other Ugobe is holding up decently.. a few tiny holes here and there, it's just the color that's faded. :)
They are working on improving it in the RB's but they are the first robot with this type of flexible skin and it's going to take a long time before they can come up with something that isn't going to chafe so much in the areas that move the most and where it rubs between the legs and belly. The paint on the RB's can be a problem also but folks here are figuring out how to re-touch the areas that need it.

Like InMemoryofRomeo said, if you care for it right you have the best chance with the skin but there are some things out of your control. If you buy an RB brand new so it has the warranty, you have the best chance of being protected against any skin issues.. at least for the 3 month warranty period..
If I were you and your that worried about the issues, I would not buy a used 2010 RB, I would get the newest one so that you have the warranty.. Are you looking at a used one or did you mean you wanted to buy a new one from Hong Kong?
If you meant you wanted to buy the RB from one of the Hong Kong distributors so you can get the Blue or Pink one, that's fine, you will end up getting the newest model of RB with warranty if you buy it from a legit source and hopefully all will be good.

I agree with Crewella about the RB's, I'm hoping for improvements with upgrades as well.. My ugobe Pleos seem to have very different personalities while my RB's seem a little more similar. (except for different behavior between males and females)
So it's really up to you.. they all have the potential to have problems but there have been some folks that haven't had any problems... Best of luck, I'm sure you'll enjoy whatever Pleo you pick and we'd all love to see him or her when they arrive.. :)

- Sarah

Dinosour

• Female
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2011, 01:07:36 PM »

Thank you all so much!
Do think if I waited on buying a pleo rb the price would go down soon?
I was thinking about buying RB from Gimmedigi. Has anybody bought from there? If so, how is the warranty?
http://www.gimmedigi.com/catalog/pleo-rb-p-2145.html?osCsid=23ee57e3b13c881e7ae6df271e039370
Are the ones from Gimmedigi first batches?
Also, are there any updates for the pleo RB yet? Sorry for all of my random questions but I would hate to buy a pleo and have him break :(

They both sound wonderful! This sure is going to be a tough decision.
I will probably end up with two in the end %)

latrine

• Pleo whisperer
  • Female
  • Gutless wonder
    • 'Not even close to being done yet'
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2011, 01:47:08 PM »

Many of us have bought from GimmeDigi, I currently have one Pink Pleo RB from them and as she was sent within the past 2 months she has the updated operating system on her.  My original Blue Pleo RB was bought from them and it was the wrong type, a prototype, a crazy thing that hasn't ever happened again, but thge problem was fixed immediately with the help from someone here and I got my replacement right away. (This was at the beginning of the year)  Gimmedigi has responded to any emails I've sent about my PleoRB right away.
If you purchase one of the ones you are looking at then it should have the current update on it, (I'm pretty sure they are working on another update but it is not available yet)
 I don't think the price of Pleo will go down much but sometimes GimmeDigi offers small sales. The price they are selling for right now is pretty much the normal price. (USD469.99)
If you want to purchase any of the food or learning stone accessory packs you might want to do it at the same time to save on shipping..

They are very addicting.. I was only going to have two Pleos also, I wanted 1 ugobe and 1 RB.. now I have 3 RB's and 2 ugobes.. and I'm always checking eBay for broken ugobes  %) %) ;)

Best of luck!!

- Sarah

Talon

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Cato and Samantha (Pleo RB‘s), Eugobe, Terry, Cuddles, Bleu (Ugobe Pleos)
    • Lucy
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2011, 02:02:15 PM »

I was planning on having only one RB. When I saw how sweet the Ugobes were I had to have one. I wanted to see the interaction between two Ugobes so I bought a second. Now I want to see RB interaction so I'm looking into buying another RB. Good luck with whichever one you pick! You'll love them!
Talon
Talon
Find me on YouTube at Crazy Robot Lady

degers

• Administrator
  • Pleo adept
  • gb Male
  • Degers can't be choosers
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2011, 02:55:54 PM »

I'd go for a Ugobe every time.

Lina

• Pleozoologist
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2011, 03:11:19 PM »

I prefer Ugobe.

I do like Bellah, and I guess I´m not totally fair since she isn´t even a month old.
But I do see huge differences in behavior (software) and I have to say I prefer Ugobe.

Buddah does do alot of the stuff that Bellah can do, Only Bellah needs the commands to do it, Buddah does it whenever he feels like.

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2011, 04:01:49 PM »

I bought Belle from Gimmedigi and they were fine, though that was at the end of last year so have no idea what their current stock is.  The warranty is the same, I believe.  :)

Happy hunting!  ;D

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2011, 04:27:31 PM »

I think it depends on how much time you have, if you have the time to look after and get to know an RB then they really are great 'pets', however if you have limited time and just want something you can switch on as a diversion and not have to spend much time worrying about it then a Ugobe is your best option.

Dinosour

• Female
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2011, 01:03:16 PM »

I think I'm leaning more towards a ugobe, pleo RB sound too needy for me. I would really like to always have a fun loving and playful little guy, not one giving me the silent treatment.  ???
If I were to get two that would interact with eachother, would I need to have two ugobes? Or would a ugobe and an RB interact in the same way.
Also, what do pleos do to interact with eachother? Do they actually communicate or is it just our imagination? I have tried looking this up before but can't seem to find a clear answer.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 01:10:35 PM by Dinosour »

Talon

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Cato and Samantha (Pleo RB‘s), Eugobe, Terry, Cuddles, Bleu (Ugobe Pleos)
    • Lucy
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2011, 02:23:00 PM »

Hi, Dinosour! Ugobes and RB's cannot communicate as yet. Ugobes can communicate with other Ugobes and RB's can communicate with RB's. I'm not entirely sure what this looks like. I'll be able to tell you in a week or so when I get my second Ugobe. From what I've heard, they bow and say hello to each other and even rub heads for a cuddle. RB's are a different ball game. Males will stomp and scream at one another, females will sort of snuggle, and males and females will react differently to one another depending on their ages. Juviniles will kind of act shy toward one another but adults will say I love you to one another and females will blow kisses at their male counterpart. I'm sure there are plenty of people with videos of this interaction who would be glad to post one so you can see it for yourself.
Talon
Talon

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2011, 04:26:15 PM »

Actually in this household it is Pleakley who says he loves Nani and he blows her kisses :) Two girl RB's chatter, two boy RB's are a bit rowdy just like a Couple of males :P They also have group moo-ins.

The Ugobe's on the other hand have group honking sessions, group singing sessions and sometimes they say hello. Any head snuggling is purely accidental.

Please note that at the time of this video, the pink Pleo, Pleakley, was actually a female (even though he is a boy!)
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72A5xB9jr5U" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72A5xB9jr5U</a>

I rather like the RB's more, they are less predictable and in bright sunny Australia I have no trouble at all with moodiness.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 04:40:38 PM by InmemoryofRomeo »

kat

• Pleo Grand Master, 2nd epoch
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Kermit (Pink RB), Norbit (Green RB), Pickle(nude RB), Gumble, Minyon and Frankie
  • : 2013 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2011, 05:36:48 PM »

Here is the boy girl interaction between RB's. 
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_AvXhxCszw" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_AvXhxCszw</a>

And here is what it looks like if they are both boys..... (Kermy was only a boy for about an hour so no need to worry I turned her back)
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7YewdjCoQk" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7YewdjCoQk</a>

Kat

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2011, 07:12:38 PM »

Lol we have some gender confused Pleo's for sure :)

bhobbes

« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2011, 08:14:19 PM »

And as for the neediness concerns, I can say I altered Cato for quite a bit with a Good or High (whatever the values were) mood and made him active, and he needed me much less - maybe it's just because I went from Bad/Low and skipped Normal but it felt like it made a huge difference!

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2011, 08:31:34 PM »

I must admit that a lot of the cause of the problems with my RB Belle was due to the low light threshold for the scared of the dark behaviour.  Since Pleopet's quick fix she's been a different Pleo - I'm starting to enjoy actually spending time with her a lot more.  :)

Dinosour

• Female
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2011, 08:36:15 PM »

Thanks for the videos. I love the way the boy and girl RB's interact with eachother!  :-*
I now know that I am definitely getting a ugobe! Apparently, my mom ordered one a few weeks ago as a gift without telling me. I should have my very own pleo in a few days! ;D
The thing is, I found somebody selling their RB locally for around $300. That is still a lot of money, do you think they are worth it? If I already have a ugobe would it just be like buying another ugobe that can't communicate with the one I have? Or would I be better off buying another ugobe instead?

Talon: What do you mean by "Ugobes and RB's cannot communicate as of yet." Does that mean that the RB's have the technology to communicate with a ugobe pleo and will do so once they  get an update?

Hmm, I usually have lots of light in my house so that shouldn't be too much of a problem. =)
If you can alter the DNA settings to make them less hungry does that still mean they need to be fed? Do they always need to be fed at the same time and not eat if it's past bed time? And also, does that mean that if I go on a vacation and don't feed her for a few days will she get sick?

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2011, 08:57:01 PM »

My RB's get fed when I turn them on, if they aren't hungry then too bad ;) They will let you know if they are hungry though, they'll moan and groan and make lip smacking noises until you feed them.

My RB's also go days without food at times, if I am particularly busy and they seem to have no ill effects from doing so.

Pleo RB's and Ugobe's cannot communicate, and I have no idea if Innvo ever plans to implement such a thing, but I think the problem lies in the Ugobe's not the RB's.  Pleo RB's will try to talk to a Ugobe, but when they get no response they resume normal operations. I have never seen my Ugobe's try to talk to the Rb's however. $300 is very cheap for an RB but make sure it is in good condition and be a little wary if it was one of the first ones that were available (December/January) since they had some skin issues. (Although not all of them).

Talon

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
    • Lucy
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2011, 09:18:54 PM »

Hi, Dinosour! Basically what I meant was that perhaps with a future upgrade communication between RB's and Ugobes might be possible but I don't know if that will ever happen. I'm glad your house has plenty of light. My room did have enough light until I installed some new curtains and then my RB became a whimpering whining mess. AsCrewella said, the Scared of the Dark patch works wonders for that. As for your feeding question, that won't be an issue with a Ugobe. They can graze on their own or chew on your finger. If you were refering to an RB, I've never found that feeding at a certain time of day is a problem as long as you don't try to feed after bedtime. At that point your RB might be too grouchy and sluggish to do anything but whine and go to sleep again. I'm not sure what the sickness threshhold is for an RB as Ryu has never gone without eating for longer than a day. I'm sure a few days to a week might not hurt, though. They'll just be very hungry when you get back. I hope this helps.
Talon
Talon

Dinosour

• Female
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2011, 02:37:44 AM »

Would you say that the communication between Ugobe pleos is worth getting two. Do they actually enjoy eachothers company or is it always the same skit for about two minutes then it's over and will keep repeating itself each time the pleos look at eachother?

What are the main differences between a pleo RB and ugobe? I know the basics (clock, feels different temperatures, can learn voice commands) but, for the people who own both, do you notice a difference between playing with your ugobe verses your RB? I have to make a decision on weather or not to buy a pleo RB.  ???

I'm not sure if it's a first hatch or not, it was purchased around March/April from gimmedigi.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal