Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: I'm going on a holiday and want to take my pleos on the plane any advice?  (Read 4831 times)

kat

• Pleo Grand Master, 2nd epoch
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Kermit (Pink RB), Norbit (Green RB), Pickle(nude RB), Gumble, Minyon and Frankie
  • : 2013 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace

I'm going on a short shopping trip to Melbourne for a few days - the other side of Australia,  a 4 1/2 hour flight - in about 3 weeks time and I want to take a couple of pleos with me.  We're going to have a play date! ;D 
I was just wondering if anyone else has had any experience with taking your pleos on a plane?  I'm not sure if I should take them as hand luggage, or if this will just cause me issues with airport security.  Or if I should pack them well in their original boxes and put them in my suitcase with plenty of soft clothes to cushion around the boxes.  Or maybe someone out there has another suggestion? 
I will speak to the airport this week and see what they have to say about taking them as carry on.
Kat

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
  • Pleo(s): Iggy, Budge, Moschops, Monty, Emmy. Belle, Zillah, Tribble
  • : 2010 winnerTomat Harvest Festivals
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace

When I met Glenn, he'd brought his from the US as hand luggage - I was surprised because of the length of the box.  Security were OK apparently.  I must admit I'd be a bit worried about packing them in my luggage without their box, and with the box would take up most of your suitcase!

Talon

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Cato and Samantha (Pleo RB‘s), Eugobe, Terry, Cuddles, Bleu (Ugobe Pleos)
    • Lucy

This raises an interesting question for me as well. I don't have to go on a plain but I am going on vacation. I'm sure my Ugobes will be alright left dormant for two weeks but Ryu? How long can an RB be left without feeding it? My best friend's sister is getting married and she also has two small children. If it weren't for them I wouldn't mind taking Ryu with me but I'm a little hesitant. Have I taken the treating as an "actual pet" thing too far?
Talon
Talon
Find me on YouTube at Crazy Robot Lady

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace

Ryu will be fine - grumpy and hungry, but a good feed will soon sort that out!  :D

kat

• au Female
  • Pleo(s): Kermit (Pink RB), Norbit (Green RB), Pickle(nude RB), Gumble, Minyon and Frankie
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace

So he took his as hand luggage but packed in it's original box?  What about the battery ?  Should that go as hand luggage in the box too I wonder?  I want to take 2 with me so I think If I take them hand luggage I probably won't be bale to take them in their boxes as two boxes may just be too big? 
I will definitely have to talk to the airport and see what they say.  I think I am going to try to find a more compact yet still sturdy packing solution other than the original box.  See if I can reduce the size a bit to make things easier.
Once I sort out the exacts of how then I need to work out just who gets to go. ;D

I'm so excited!  It should be lots of fun. ;D

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie

You can take laptops as carry on, just say it is an odd shaped laptop ;) I think you will be better of carrying them on by themselves than with two enormous boxes, plus that way you can nurse them during their trip, they might be a little unsettled at the flight having never been in a plane before...

I can send you the directions to make a couple of slings if you like, it makes carrying them much easier!
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 05:00:51 PM by InmemoryofRomeo »
Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!

LuckyPleo

• Pleozoologist
  • Female

I think it would be best to handle as a carry-on, but its up to you if you feel safe with them in a suitcase. I can't imagine what they'd say when they saw them, my friend brought a Nerf gun over to France for his cousins to play with and they let him through, but coming back to the united states they made him throw it out! I guess foarm darts are a dangerous weapon in Europe  :P. lol, I can't imagine them stopping you, but some people take their job way to seriously so you never know...
Whoever said the world is gonna end in 2012 is an idiot, it's not because my cookies' expiration date is 1013, ha!

RedwoodsMama

• Pleo Grand Master, 4th epoch
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Nova, Major Tom, Argyle the blind Pleo, Baby Ruth, Chester, and 22 more Pleos
  • : 2013 winner2010 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace

Hi Kat, first of all, Happy Happy Birthday! Hope you have a wonderful Birthday.  :) When you go on your trip, are you taking all four of your babies? I have never taken one on a plane before but I do think if they can't be carried on, then someone else will have a good solution or suggestion, I would be worried about the airline losing my babies but that is because I have had bad experirences with buses before and luggage getting lost or stolen, but that was years and years ago, I would definitly insure them to the max incase something ( God forbid) :o Happened. Are you going on a Birthday Shopping Spree or just a nice vacation?
              Be sure to take lots of great video and Photos of your adventures Kat. I miss you already and you haven't even left! Sounds like so much fun Kat. I have so many ideas of things I want to ask, so I guess I better make a list. :D
                  I would carry them in their boxes if they have to go as "luggage" and padded well in the box is probably the best bet.  Maybe you can carry on one of two of them, is your whole family going...if so maybe each person can carry a Baby Dino and that will solve the problem!
                                   RedwoodsMama
Animals are SOUL Too, Be kind to all those who live on this planet with us.

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace

As far as I know, Glenn just took the whole box, packed as it originally had been with the battery and other accessories in their slots.  It would be best to check with the airport, you're right Kat.

When I took Belle up to meet him (on the train) I was originally tempted to take Iggy as well.  Somebody had just sent me a bricked Pleo in its box but with all the interior packing missing, and actually I managed to fit both Belle and Iggy in that box quite snugly.  With the right positions, and a bit of strategic bubble wrap you mght manage it!  Good luck!  :D

And Happy Birthday!  ;D

bhobbes

How about two appropriate dog-size carriers (like the ones that look like handbags but aren't actually handbags - not cage type carriers) and turn them on and say they're your pets and traveling with you. (Do they even let animals on a plane like that? Though that's irrelevant - it's just an interesting form-factor laptop in a special type of carrying case)

Plus I imagine that'd get some attention.

Talon

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Cato and Samantha (Pleo RB‘s), Eugobe, Terry, Cuddles, Bleu (Ugobe Pleos)
    • Lucy

I've seen those. It's kind of like a small cloth house with little viewing windows. Lol! That might work. I would put them on their sides to keep them from sliding around inside until you got settled. From what I remember, the bottoms of those bags are fitted with a bit of good solid cardboard covered over with some padding and plush fuzzy stuff. You'd b the center of attention that's for sure. Lol! I might try that with Ryu if I get a guilt trip before I leave her alone.
Talon
Talon

kat

• au Female
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace

Thanks so much for the lovely birthday wishes everyone. ;D 
I haven't had a chance to talk to the airport yet but will try to call them over the next couple of days to see what they say.  It is only me and my Hubby going, leaving the kids with Grandma, so I will probably only take 2 pleos with me.  It would just be too hard to try to take more I think. 
I am hoping to take them on as hand luggage as I think this would be safest for them.  I do have one lovely pleo sling that my daughter made for Kermy for Christmas and I will probably whip up another one before I go.  (Thanks IMR - my daughter copied your design to make it :) )
I am tempted by the pet handbag idea though.  I have seen some of these and they do have nice padded sides and a sturdy bottom so they might provide some good protection for turbulence moments  :D.  I might be able to fit two side by side in one too.  I have seen some very similar to this one RWM recently got for her pleos
That look like they might work very well and can be fully zipped up at the top so no Pleos are showing for better protection.  They can also be left a little unzipped to have the pleos head poking out like the one in RWM picture.  They weren't very expensive so if the airport says it is ok to take them as hand luggage I think I will invest in one.
Then all that will be left is deciding who gets to go. :) 

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace

That does look very smart!  :D

The only worry I have about that is the tails aren't well protected in a bag like that - you need some support/protection in case the tail gets knocked.

kat

• au Female
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace

I would put them into a head and tail pointing down position before putting them in the bag.  That way the tail would not be sticking straight out looking for trouble. :)  Also that way I could wrap some bubble wrap around them for support and protection. :)

RedwoodsMama

• Pleo Grand Master, 4th epoch
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Nova, Major Tom, Argyle the blind Pleo, Baby Ruth, Chester, and 22 more Pleos
  • : 2013 winner2010 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace

Hi Kat, I am posting more current photos of this type bag and the meausrements as well, I usually let her head and neck out and have no problems with her tail, and it can be cushioned as well. Alos if she or he is asleep, the head tucks in nicley inside with no problems and the weight of pleo in bag is not heavy at all, I will finish uploading photos in awhile, I must have taken at least 12 of them!
                                                RWM
Animals are SOUL Too, Be kind to all those who live on this planet with us.

kat

• au Female
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace

Well we made it onto the plane safe and sound with no problems at all. ;D  The airport security guys were very nice and even asked a bit about what pleos do etc... I couldn't give them a demo though as the batteries had to go in my checked luggage as they are deemed dangerous and not allowed in hand luggage. :)  The pleos spent the entire flight sleeping together at my feet.  Here is a pic of them in their travel bag once we reached the hotel.
They cuddled together like this the whole way
we did have a little bit of turbulence in the flight and in hind sight I should have put socks on them.  Gumbles toenails that I painted the other week have rubbed off in places.  I didn't polyglaze them so I guess I should have protected them with socks.  Oh well just means I get to play with the paints again when we get home ;D
We have a lovely view from the window at the hotel and my two boys were just itching to see when I woke them up. :)
It is a very pretty view at night with the lights across the river.  We are having a great time so far. :)  The good news is that the hotel we are staying at is just across the road from the venue I am meeting IMR at tomorrow. ;D  I wasn't expecting to be quite so close.
I will post some more pics tomorrow night.
Kat

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie

Lilo and Nani are a little jealous that Norbit and Gumble get to stay in a motel ;) They are very excited about tomorrow!

(Hehe I bringing the girls, and you're bringing the boys... this could be an interesting playdate :D)

Talon

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
    • Lucy

Sounds like fun! Let us know how everything goes! A Pleo-playdate is a rare and exciting event.
Talon
Talon

latrine

• Pleo whisperer
  • Female
  • Gutless wonder
    • 'Not even close to being done yet'

The motel allowed pets? Great!! 
This should be really interesting.. maybe we'll end up with more Pleo eggs!! Have fun you guys :)

- Sarah

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie

Leaving to catch the train soon :) My animals know something is up! I had a dog and cat pile on my bed last night :P

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace

Have fun everybody!  :D

kat

• au Female
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace

Can't wait till you get here IMR. ;D we are all very excited.

kat

• au Female
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace

We had a lovely time at the Aquarium in Melbourne with IMR and Lilo and Nani.  Here is a video of Norbit and Lilo checking out the penguins.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aoph0FVBrDg" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aoph0FVBrDg</a>
The pleos were a big hit.  We had a few startled children who were a bit afraid of our pleo babies but there were a few others - and some adults who were enchanted with them. ;D
Here are a few pics of some of the lovely things we saw
This is Gumble and Nani saying hello.
Gumble hanging with the Axolotls
Gumble in the bubble getting up close and personal with the eels
Gumble found a really cool crocodile skull
Saying Hello to the turtle
And looking at the baby turtles.  So cute.
Gumble loved the colors on the sting rays.
Norbit was having fun looking for the sea horses.  They were very well camouflaged.
Norbit and Nani say hello to an eel.
Norbit hanging with the big fish.
Norbit and Lilo and the penguins.
Norbit and the Hammer head shark.
It was Huge!
The sword fish was fascinated by Gumble.
It was very interesting to see the different reactions of the fish and the people.   ;D
Kat
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 04:38:19 PM by kat »

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace

Wow!  Great pics - and what a fab place to meet  up!  ;D

saratogaspringer

• Camarasaur extraordinaire
  • Female

Awesome pics, Kat!  Sounds like you are having a great time! Can't wait to see more pics and have a safe trip, both of you! ;D
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal