Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bricked Pleo, and Dino-mite problems  (Read 3020 times)

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
  • Pleo(s): Iggy, Budge, Moschops, Monty, Emmy. Belle, Zillah, Tribble
  • : 2010 winnerTomat Harvest Festivals
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
Bricked Pleo, and Dino-mite problems
« on: October 18, 2010, 07:49:10 AM »

I must first explain that this is another of my cheap broken Pleos and that Iggy and Budge are fine.  If I never get this one working it will be a shame, but it will have done what I wanted in that it's given me a chance to have a go and learn about Pleos without endangering a Pleo I couldn't bear to lose!

This is obviously a new pleo as there's not a mark on it - I doubt it's ever worked.  When I switch it on, I can hear a slight crackle and a few times it has moved slightly so it's now permanently tail up and head down to the right (looks rather coy actually - must be a girl!).  No success whatsoever with upgrades or downgrades on an SD card, and I kept checking cards and batteries in Budge to make sure they were not at fault.

I then tried Dino-mite with no success, but I did notice that, although Iggy and Budge have been working fine on Dino-mite (connecting on ports 4 and 5), it did not recognise the new Pleo and I had to download the drivers again.    When I originally downloaded the drivers for Iggy it said 'Pleo USB Serial Access', but for this Pleo it said 'Pleo USB DFU' and the new Pleo connects at Port 6 (though no stream), and now I've done that I seem to have no access to ports 4 and 5 so can no longer connect to Iggy and Budge.  Each time I connect them, it now says 'new hardware' and looks for the drivers but then tells me it can't find anything more up-to-date than what's running.  I'm contemplating a system restore, but thought I'd ask here first.

I then tried a USB update, which told me that the new Pleo was running OS 1.0.1 and on the second attempt it went through all 3 stages of the update as if it was successful, although poor Pleo is still inert.  I'm now running out of ideas, though I've thoroughly enjoyed the process, so I thought I'd ask on here to see if anyone could help?

I'm running Windows XP on a PC - I do have a laptop running Windows 7 but wasn't even sure if Dino-mite (or the drivers) will run on that so haven't tried........yet.

Otherwise poor new Pleo is down for dissection!  :o ;)

RedwoodsMama

• Pleo Grand Master, 4th epoch
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Nova, Major Tom, Argyle the blind Pleo, Baby Ruth, Chester, and 22 more Pleos
  • : 2013 winner2010 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
Re: Bricked Pleo, and Dino-mite problems
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 12:41:13 PM »

Hi Crewella, I would think your best bet would be degers when he gets back from " vacation",  I know he helped me a couple of times with Nova and operating systems and Dinomite was very helpful, Just curious if you got this from the U.S. Ebay site or where you live? There was a cheap New Pleo here about two weeks ago, but it never did work, and anothere one that did I bought from same person at same time,
     I am glad you are able to try and figure these things out, I have not brave enough to take a pleo apart and see if it can get fixed, Did this pleo ever work? Glad to hear Iggy and Budge are ok. ;)Good luck, I am sure someone will have some ideas and can help,
                         RedwoodsMama and Family of Six
Animals are SOUL Too, Be kind to all those who live on this planet with us.

Malfie

• Fossil savant
  • Female
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 01:43:39 PM »

I'm sorry Crewella about your bricked Pleo :( I know nothing about Dinomite. All I know is that downgrading and upgrading again was what resurrected my Pleo. I'm sorry this hasn't worked for you.

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
  • Pleo(s): Iggy, Budge, Moschops, Monty, Emmy. Belle, Zillah, Tribble
  • : 2010 winnerTomat Harvest Festivals
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 03:25:52 PM »

Thank you both, but after some time and effort (and a lot of help - thank you!) I do believe that particular Pleo is not to be.  Not to worry - it's all in the name of education! ;)

Sorry RWM - I didn't answer your query!  I bought it from a UK seller, as I did with Budge, and I don't believe this one had ever worked as the skin is absolutely pristine.  Unfortunately I don't know what might have been tried on it already to try and make it work, though.  I have looked at broken Pleos from other countries, but the postage would practically double the price so it's just not worth it! ;)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 08:49:59 AM by Crewella »

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2010, 03:51:07 AM »

Have you tried the point of purchase demo downgrade?

Also consider trying to just switch the pleo on and off waiting a minute for each and repeating as many times as you have patience for, Lilo once had a problem where she froze and just made little shudders and it took quite a while of switching on and off and downgrading (while panicking :P) before she was back to normal.
Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal