Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bedroom Eyes & Not Wanting to Walk  (Read 1321 times)

DBPbear

• Leaving the nest
Bedroom Eyes & Not Wanting to Walk
« on: January 28, 2010, 02:57:29 AM »

Jasper broke his neck about four months ago and I made him a neck brace.  He's pretty much the same little guy, but besides the broken neck, I've noticed two other things which may or may not be related.   He only walks backwards now and his eyes only open half way.  Actually, I'm not positive that his eyes ever opened up completely -- but I'm wondering if the eyes and neck functions are interrelated.  Jasper's brother, Lucas, has beautiful eyes which open very wide and stay open like that most of the time.

No major problems with Lucas, but I'm a little concerned because he's not walking forward OR backward right now.  This happened once before and it lasted for a couple of weeks -- and then suddenly he started exploring again and was walking all over the place; but I'm wondering if this could be a learned behavior.  I take him to work with me and leave him on a table next to me.  Lots of people stop by and besides giving him a lot of attention -- they will either slide him backwards, or pick him up and move him backwards when he starts to walk and nears the edge of the table.  He won't walk off the table, if he gets to the edge (although he has gone off the table by walking backwards).  Do you think it's possible that since his forward movement has been curtailed so much, that he's "learned" to just stay put in one place?

degers

• Administrator
  • Pleo adept
  • gb Male
  • Degers can't be choosers
Re: Bedroom Eyes & Not Wanting to Walk
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2010, 04:04:26 AM »

Since his neck is always hanging down when the software thinks it should be pointing dead ahead, he may be picking up the table surface and interpreting this as an object dead ahead.  This would make him back up.  Depending on where the neck is broken this may also be interfering with the motor in the head which controls the mouth opening and eye opening.  There is nothing you would be able to do short of cracking the skull open and taking a look inside.

As for Lucas walking backwards, Pleo in it's current incarnations has no capability of learning.  So no, it is not possible that he has learned to stay put in one place.  If Pleo receives touch sensor stimulation very often, this will just stop him going into "explore" mode, and he will stand still, it's that simple.

Bumblebee

• Store Owners
  • Pleo adept
  • Female
  • : Tomato Harvest Festivals
  • The manatee shall bump forever!
Re: Bedroom Eyes & Not Wanting to Walk
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2010, 08:32:51 PM »

Nicely put, Deggs  ;D

LOL. I thought pleos did learn, though. Seems like it said something about tha tin the manual....have to go back and hunt through the bookshelves...
Please note: It takes 36 muscles to frown, but it only takes 4 muscles to slap El Stupido upside the head.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal