Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Meet the Redwoods Pleos Cousin from the Rainforest!  (Read 2958 times)

RedwoodsMama

• Pleo Grand Master, 4th epoch
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Nova, Major Tom, Argyle the blind Pleo, Baby Ruth, Chester, and 22 more Pleos
  • : 2013 winner2010 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
Meet the Redwoods Pleos Cousin from the Rainforest!
« on: July 10, 2012, 10:45:06 AM »

It has been a nice Summer so far, ( Actually it just Started... ;D) and the Redwoods Pleo Clan were in for a happy surprise, a couple of days ago, they met one of their cousins for the first time! This is a distant Cousin, and not from this area at all.  ??? P:) This Pleo is some traveler, comming from the Rainforest of South America! :o The PHotos speak for themselves and last night I finished the last 10% of the Painting I knew needed to be done to make this Pleo Complete. I finished the face, the lower jaw, some subtle coloring on the body and around the toes and feet. I think it is an improved Pleo...and is now Complete. I just need to think of a great name for this very Unique pleo,the Rainforest is the perfect place for a specimen with these colors, don't you agreee? The first photo shows the face with the before final colors I completed last night so you can see what I did.

Please let me know what you think of this Rainforest Pleo. P8)

RWM and the Pleo Clan of the Redwoods
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 10:47:13 AM by RedwoodsMama »

Animals are SOUL Too, Be kind to all those who live on this planet with us.

camcam8910

• Pleo explorer
  • 00 Female
Re: Meet the Redwoods Pleos Cousin from the Rainforest!
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 11:46:58 AM »

wow! That's really neat! You did really well! Way better then me!

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 03:41:39 PM »

Does the acrylic hold up to the movement? It's not a flexible paint and I know when others, including myself, tried it, we ended up with cracks. Is this a particular type of acrylic or have you added some latex?
Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!

kat

• Pleo Grand Master, 2nd epoch
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Kermit (Pink RB), Norbit (Green RB), Pickle(nude RB), Gumble, Minyon and Frankie
  • : 2013 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 04:59:47 PM »

Yes I'd also like to know a bit more about the paint you used :)  Having had no success with just acrylic paint myself I'd love to know if you added anything to it.  Also if there is still old paint underneath from the last time you painted this one?  And if so what type of paint that was?  Might be that that is helping to keep the acrylic paint from splitting and cracking?   Just very curious :)

I still think Sunny makes a good name for him :)

RedwoodsMama

• us Female
  • Pleo(s): Nova, Major Tom, Argyle the blind Pleo, Baby Ruth, Chester, and 22 more Pleos
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 08:20:33 PM »

lHi guys, thanks for the feedback, it is much appreciated. Thanks for the questions as well, great one come to think of it. I have so many pleos that painting them is also a great way to individualize them and not get them confused with each other.
 I usuallly use a combo of Acrylic, laytex, inks and some painted powder pigments. I have allso been known to use a bit of oil, and I do think I am the only Pleo oil painter, so far. P0:)

For Kat, IMR and Crewella, I have a couple of questions. As for the movement and paint chipping or splitting, cracking. How long after painting did you notice these problems and was it primarily in the neck or tail area, areas of lots of movement?
 Another important factor to consider and put into the factor sheet; What is the usual temperture and humidity of where you do the painting? Last what is the maker of the Acrylic paints you have used in the past.?

I did remove at least 90% of the previous paint on the pleo painted but the fact it was on there for months and I did use some olive oil to condition the skin, Rubber, and also great to remove small areas of stubborn paint, perhaps this conditioned the skin............... P??? %) just a thought.. I do think brand may play a role and temperture for sure. After I hear back from these questions I will let you know the rest of the information and I will post paints used and a video of this guy in action, movement along with photos of the other Pleos. Coral Pleo is the last one done before this one and all of the others are holding up well too, no cracks. Anxious to hear from the rest of you painters and to hear what others think of this Pleo and any ideas on paint splitting, etc.                      RWM  ( the Mad Pleo Painter )and the Pleo clan of the Redwoods P:) :cat:

kat

• Pleo Grand Master, 2nd epoch
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Kermit (Pink RB), Norbit (Green RB), Pickle(nude RB), Gumble, Minyon and Frankie
  • : 2013 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 04:00:15 AM »

I have tried at least 3 different brands of water based acrylic paints on their own and had the same result every time.  Instant cracking and splitting in the neck tail and sides areas from the first moment you turn the pleo on.  I have found that using a mix of latex paint with the acrylic paint seems to give the best result with no cracking or splitting. 

RedwoodsMama

• us Female
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2012, 01:25:18 PM »

Hi Kat, sorry to hear about the acrylic paints not working for you and your Pleos, You did not mention though the names of the paints, brands may or may not make a difference, I still think temperture is important as well, I will post a video of this guy in motion later with close ups of the neck, tail area so you can see what it looks like.  Please let me know the brands you used for comparison.                     RWM

RedwoodsMama

• us Female
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2012, 11:31:22 PM »

ok, as promised for those other painters who have not had good success with just plain acrylics, here is a video and some photos of the latest pleo in action. There is no peeling, cracking or splitting of the paint or skin. I included some other pleos that were painted for comparsion also and their paint is just as good: Rossella, ( painted last June 2011) Coral and the Purple fantasy Pleo done in this past January, and the other pleo in the lavender and leopard fur trim coat is just there for fun, no painting so far on this one. Please leave feedback or questions. I also included some close up shots of the skin, esp neck and tail. Excuse the quality of the film, I used an older video camera and it does not have the same quality but it should show what you need to see of the paint.                                    RWM

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0-YscXfmNE" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0-YscXfmNE</a>

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2012, 12:28:51 AM »

Can you just take a photo close up of the neck (as close as your camera will allow), from the top looking down and in good lighting. Have the Pleo turned off with its neck bending right down forwards. The cracks are only hairline unless the paint has started to flake and that's the best way to see them.

I painted twice using acrylics, once in warmer weather, once in cooler. We don't get high humidity here. The brands I used were all Australian ones. You would most likely not have them there.

RedwoodsMama

• us Female
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2012, 12:43:28 AM »

Hi IMR, ok,, thanks for the info, I did take pics, stills that is with the neck in side shot, close up, but will take close ups in the morning in good daylight with neck  bending down from above so you can see what it looks like. You are right, I would not have access to Australian brands more than likely.  Will post photos in the morning.                 P:)                RWM

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2012, 01:49:28 AM »

It would be nice to find some acrylics that truly work, they have much better colour coverage than inks and latex.

RedwoodsMama

• us Female
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2012, 10:28:55 PM »

Will try again in the morning, it is harder than you think to get a pleo to bend it's neck down and turn it off before it move it's head again. :o %) :D I think Sunny is being camera shy..............

RWM and the Pleo Clan of the Redwoods

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2012, 10:41:01 PM »

Wait until they are hungry and try to graze maybe :P Or put them on the edge of a cliff :o

RedwoodsMama

• us Female
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2012, 11:17:06 PM »

I don't know about being hungry, and I seldom put them on tables anymore as there are too many cats to keep an eye on, but that is a great idea, as they allways look down , freak out and then back up. LOl. ;D Hope that does not count as "Pleo abuse",                         RWM           Thanks for reminding me of the table...that will work easily, just have to wait for daytime and good light.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal