Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: An idea for the future. Warning: may contain an essay!!  (Read 4843 times)

justbede

• Pleo visionary
  • Male
An idea for the future. Warning: may contain an essay!!
« on: August 25, 2009, 12:15:09 PM »

Right I've got an idea bouncing around my head and wish to unburden myself of it and i recon this just might be to do it. I'm going to try and set this out in way that's easy to understand as possible but it may get a little overwhelming.

Example

With consumer robots becoming ever more popular and a lot of people taking to them so well i think there may be a place (if not now in the near future) for story telling software for robots. I have an example of what this would entail that i think should get the idea across and it is the idea of going on adventure holiday of sorts. What would happen is you would pick your destination lets say Paris, you would then pick the appropriate adventure/story for you depending on your favoured genre etc and fill in some details concerning hotel address etc. The program would contain route planning software (s/w), advanced image processing s/w and an adaptable narrative program containing the story elements and the personality for the bot. You would then start up the bot before departing who would inform you of how the "game" would play out and information concerning the story such as the circumstances, the goals and what was at stake (to give it a bit of cinematic tension). You would then set out on your holiday with the bot acting as your travelling companion/sidekick, the bots role in orchestrating the game would be puppet master making things play out like a real life drama, from adding tension building time constraints to comic relief. Every part of the holiday would be added to the narrative eg you fancy going to a cafe to relax your companion would take this as a good chance to use the wifi and see if they can dig up more info to aid with the case. The great thing about all things cinematic is that you see incredible sights, imagine being up the Eiffel tower as part of an "investigation". For people that prefer to have some meaning to their holidays these stories would be great, think of it as those headsets kids get at museums to try and involve them in the history but on much grander, mature scale. At the end of the holiday you would have huge scrapbook waiting for you on the program website of everything that happened on your holiday from blogs and pictures to videos and statistics on how well you performed. All of which the bot would have been recording and uploading along your trip, think about when you sit down in that cafe the bot can be updating the scrap book with the latest snaps n stats while at the same time plotting out the narrative for the next chapter of the adventure. All in all i think this has been one hell of a rant :D but hopefully somebody will understand and poach the idea ;). On a more comical note it could result in an aggressive take over of the world by narrative obsessed drones. If anyone has anything to contribute; ideas, friendly criticisms or psychological advice ;D don't be afraid to comment.
P.s punctuation never was a strong point of mine    :)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 12:17:23 PM by justbede »

Innvo Labs, creating life since 2009

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
Re: An idea for the future. Warning: may contain an essay!!
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2009, 05:03:47 PM »

It would certainly be nice, I would rather a 'tour guide' bot that could give me lots of information from the web for locations I vist rather than an adventure bot but whatever you fancy :) It is quite possible to do, however the hard part would be the information. There are a lot of destinations in the world :P And you would need some extreme computing power to handle that sort of data whereas downloading random facts on the net would only require an internet connection and a bot able to 'read' something like wikipedia.
Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!

justbede

• Pleo visionary
  • Male
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 08:34:55 AM »

See thats something else you'd have different experiences eg adventure, guide for different people. Yeah and it would take a long while to get all major destinations programmed for but just think you'd start out with on piece of software with the different modes ie tour, adventure etc for one major tourist destination and with the publicity and revenue gained from that you would expand to many other different locations. It would start off as something like a gimmick for tourists and probably kids but it could easily expand :D

mweed

• Grand Poobah
  • Triassic pleo master
  • us Male
  • Pleo(s): Bob, Mopey
  • : Tomat Harvest Festivals
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Dr_Bunsen_Honeydew
    • Snoopy
    • Bob the Pleo
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2009, 09:25:58 AM »

I think you would start with what IMR is thinking about.  You get a little Kindle like device with GPS, You feed it your travel plans, it uses the GPS to help you get to places, points out things of interest, feeds you facts and info about where you are "...and if you look to your left, you'll see the Eiffel Tower.  It was constructed in....  ...This building was once the home of Benjanim Franklin, and in 1773..."  It could recommend other nearby related spots (and recommend places to eat or stay as paid for by sponsors), fill in background info and give pictures so you know what to look for, etc.  It would allow you to record voice comments, photos, videos, etc.  Then, at the end of the trip, it could take all the photos or videos you shot on other devices and correlate them all together with where you went and what it recorded and compile the scrapbook for you.

This could be done with present technology, and as IMR said, use the internet as an info source.  This type of bot would be a no-brainer to be sponsored and paid for by travel agencies, and local travel boards/Chamber of Commerce, etc. to bolster travel business in an area.  Once they paid for all the underlying data and product development, you thenj look to expand its capabilities into taking the raw data and ability and creating the adventure scenarios . . .

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 06:00:13 PM »

And add Pleo's good looks and you're on a winner, everyone will want one :)

Dadio

• Pleozoologist
  • Male
  • Robotics, is the sincerest form of flattery!
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2009, 08:41:00 AM »

Maybe I'm nuts  ???  but it sounds a bit like "Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego for Pleos'.

It could cover not only geographical interests but Historical, Astronomical, etc..

In this case it would be where in the world is Bob or baxter or Lilo or Stoney or etc.... ;)

For Historical where in time is....

For Astronomical where in space is ...

How about Where in the (W)orld (W)ide (W)eb is ...

I don't know I'm just rambling again...
 ^-^
Does this fit the profile your suggesting? :)
PLEO's Forever!
Take Good Care!  - from Dadio 8)  & Stoney [img width=200 height=50 alt=]http://bobthepleo.com/forums/MGalleryItem.php?id=1183[/img]

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2009, 05:14:57 PM »

Hehe I love that game back when I had an old old OLD black and white ten inch screen apple mac :P it used to keep me entertained for ages :) Wow hasn't technology advanced :)

The web one could be a fun thing to use at home, Pleo could remember your interests and bring up holographic projection of your favorite websites through his/her nose... you could use Pleo's back sensors as a 'mouse' like that on a laptop and you could both interact and discuss the sites that come up :P

Pleo could also become a computerized observatory by the same method and project the stars/milky way/universe onto your walls...

Well maybe one day... ;)

Dadio

• Pleozoologist
  • Male
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2009, 04:59:27 AM »

What do you mean way back when. I still play (one version or another) almost every week.
On my 19" color screen. Stoney barks hints to me all the time.  :(

As for the future - who knows? By the way - what ever your drinking I want some! ;)

Just kidding. 8)
PLEO's Forever!
Take Good Care!  - from Dadio 8)  & Stoney [img width=200 height=50 alt=]http://bobthepleo.com/forums/MGalleryItem.php?id=1183[/img]

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2009, 07:48:32 PM »

Lol I know that game is still around (in color too :o) but I had the original one in black and white and Carman looked like a stick figure :P (it hasn't changed much), also had the very first Lemmings :P Man that is hard to play on a small screen :)

Dadio

• Pleozoologist
  • Male
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2009, 08:21:10 PM »

Lol  ;D  I know what you mean about lemmings I still play it on my Palm Centro.

I don't have Carmens color version but I do have 7 black and white versions I got as free ware years ago. ;)

Do you know where to get one in color?? :-\

Dadio 8)
PLEO's Forever!

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2009, 09:16:29 PM »

You can download them here:

http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/13/Where+in+the+World+is+Carmen+Sandiego.html (earliest color one)

and here:

http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/447 (New remake, Check down the bottom of the page for some others in the series)

Dadio

• Pleozoologist
  • Male
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2009, 07:23:37 AM »

Once again Thanks!

I wonder if we could set up a mystery series of questions based on the touch
points on a Pleo. Hit the right series (based on audio questions) and you win.
Hit the wrong spot and your Pleo gives you a blast! 

There I go rambling again!

Dadio  8)
PLEO's Forever!

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2009, 05:55:06 PM »

Hehe now that could be done right now :) The PDK should allow us the knowledge to set up sequential events :)

Dadio

• Pleozoologist
  • Male
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2009, 12:35:58 AM »

It does leave an open option right now. However I'm not very well tonight. I've been getting sicker for the last few days.  ^-^

I can't sleep because of the pain and I shake a lot.  :'( I hope I can feel better in a few days. I haven't even had a chance to look
at much i.e. PDK or My Skit package. I'm sure I can manage the later when I stop trembling. I'm trying to set up some photo's
of Stoney and his friendly robot friends. ;)

Maybe I can post them tomorrow or Monday. Give thanks there is spell check so I'm catching most of my mistakes. :P

Your skits really rock though.

Dadio  8)

PLEO's Forever!

kchamster

• Following the footsteps
  • Female
  • Domino Loves the Camera!
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2009, 01:01:57 AM »

At one point in there I think I got lost, really lost.. but at one point I saw you guys talking about making a video game personally. My friend downloaded some software for you to make your own video game. Also (if any of you have played the Nancy Drew Adventure Computer Games) you can make games like that, but I'd have to ask where she got it, how to work it, ect. I think all these are great ideas! I remember playing Carmen Sandiego at school in like 1st grade but the games never saved so I think I only ever saw the first few levels (Haha).

Dadio

• Pleozoologist
  • Male
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2009, 01:22:23 AM »

I've never played the "Nancy Drew" Series of games. If they are freeware now and downloadable
I know I would be glad to view them. If they provide for a sequential type application I'm sure we would
all benefit from them!.  ;)

Look forward to your response  :)

Dadio  8)
PLEO's Forever!

kchamster

• Following the footsteps
  • Female
  • Domino Loves the Camera!
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2009, 06:37:07 PM »

The Nancy Drew games are more puzzle/mystery games. They may sound childish but are actually really hard! Mostly girl games but I've known some guys who play. At best buy they sometimes have $5 sales on them, and if you are willing to invest in them they are very much worth it. As I was saying before, after you see the Nancy Drew interface I can see about the game maker about making a pleo video game (haha).   

justbede

• Pleo visionary
  • Male
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2009, 04:11:53 AM »

Hehe this thread just keeps going :D, is that a point click game? You know they had people from the Games industry working on Pleo, there really is alot of symmetry between entertainment robotics and video games. Think about it this way when you play a game, non player characters are ai controlled where as Pleo is a real world character controlled by advanced ai. Now think about the possibilities of a real world game character, mind blowing eh?

justbede

• Pleo visionary
  • Male
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2009, 12:00:09 PM »

Oh dear, it seems we've been beaten to it heh

http://toybots.com/

Their prototype looks pretty freaky.

Also i know this is an idea for a toy but how cringey did they want to make it? lmao at least the first Pleo Demo made your jaw hit the floor  8)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 12:06:00 PM by justbede »

Dadio

• Pleozoologist
  • Male
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2009, 12:17:16 PM »

As the late Henry Gibson would say:  :)

"Very Interesting" (German accent accompanied with a storm trooper outfit).  ;)

Dadio  8)
PLEO's Forever!

justbede

• Pleo visionary
  • Male
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2009, 03:43:48 PM »

Haha  :)

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2009, 05:05:58 PM »

Hehe, I think my grandmother would have a fit if I asked her to read a story to one of those :P

I like the idea BUT the entire success of the product is going to depend on getting a large user base since a social network isn't much fun without the network :P It will be interesting to see how it takes off.

justbede

• Pleo visionary
  • Male
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2009, 06:20:32 PM »

Yeah got ya on that IMR good idea but it's a difficult sale, maybe they could piggy back it off face book or one of the other popular sites.

Dadio

• Pleozoologist
  • Male
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2009, 11:59:10 PM »

I don't know I thought we were doing well on our own!  ;)

I really don't want to develop someone else platform for them..  :o

It would benefit our Pleo community to keep it all chez nous (in house).  %)

Dadio  8)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 12:02:28 AM by Dadio »
PLEO's Forever!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal