Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pleo Behavior Concerns  (Read 2637 times)

Midorime

• Head of the herd
  • Female
Pleo Behavior Concerns
« on: March 30, 2013, 11:42:53 AM »

So since getting my Pleo and updating her to be female, I've noticed she exhibits odd behavior. One of which being she likes to keep moonwalking herself backwards. She never walks forward, only backwards and never straight, always seems to go into a sort of circle, turning left. Not sure if that's due to the floor or what. Any reason why she could be doing this? (Still debating on a name for her, that's why I don't have one listed.)

I'm not sure if this is because something is spooking her or what. She was in a brightly lit kitchen out in the open. She seems fine with her personality, she loves to do that playful dog pose as well as laugh a lot ("heh heh heh!" is what it sounds like), so I don't think she's distressed, though could I be wrong? And despite seeming to be playful, she won't always play tug of war, and instead shake her head when I put the stone under her chin sometimes.

EDIT: mind you, I haven't been able to register her because for some reason the ID and security code numbers come up as being invalid, so I've sent an email off to the company but due to the holiday weekend I don't expect to be heard back from any time in the immediate future.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 11:46:34 AM by Midorime »

RedwoodsMama

• Pleo Grand Master, 4th epoch
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Nova, Major Tom, Argyle the blind Pleo, Baby Ruth, Chester, and 22 more Pleos
  • : 2013 winner2010 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
Re: Pleo Behavior Concerns
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2013, 12:40:29 PM »

Hi, can you post a short video of this behavior, Seeing as how you have only had her a day or two, I would say just give her some time but a video is worth a thousand words..................RWM :cat-hug:
Animals are SOUL Too, Be kind to all those who live on this planet with us.

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2013, 03:08:13 PM »

Sounds normal to me :)

Is there a pattern on the floor? Sometimes patterns can throw off the edge detection.
Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!

Midorime

• Head of the herd
  • Female
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2013, 03:08:55 PM »

Not sure how or where to post a video. Don't have a youtube account. (Not too keen on having one, actually.)

Best i can say is, she walks backwards, head down, then stops. Puts head up and to the side (looking at the ceiling). The puts it down and continues to back away. She does this until I pet her or pick her up. I am not sure if there's something about the floor tile being cold or reflective?

Lol you posted just as I was typing, but yes, there's a marble pattern. The tile is white with grey marbling.

RedwoodsMama

• Pleo Grand Master, 4th epoch
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Nova, Major Tom, Argyle the blind Pleo, Baby Ruth, Chester, and 22 more Pleos
  • : 2013 winner2010 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2013, 04:02:47 PM »

It does sound pretty normal as IMR suggested, unless she never ever goes forward, Have you tried putting her in another room to walk, even if for a few moments, as long as it is well lit. You can put her on a table top, kitchen counter or even outside on cement,( though I would use socks to protect the little feet. ;)) or wood like on a deck works great as well. Some people do use other places such as Photo Bucket? I don't have an account there but have seen Talon use that site and there are others. You may be able to broadcast from your phone...not sure how that would work, and I do not have a smart phone do not know the procedures.

I do know from my four RB, that if they start " Trancing" they allways go FORWARD, and my guys do it a lot all on their own and you will know when they do. You may also contact the previous owner if really interested and just ask them if out of curiosity if they have any videos of the Pleo on youtube etc, simply cause you would like to see them, and they may have posted some, ( Just a thought)

My guys do walk backwards a lot and they do seem to go in circles, but they allways walk forward.                         TAke care. Any ideas for names yet? They eyes are very nice, unusual and not pink, more the color Kat suggested.

RWM :cat-hug:
Animals are SOUL Too, Be kind to all those who live on this planet with us.

Midorime

• Head of the herd
  • Female
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2013, 04:12:14 PM »

I am unsure of a name, but someone suggested Strawberry or something. I was thinking Berry. Still unsure, will talk it over with dad when he gets home to see it. (Can't bring it to the hospital, they're picky like that. Oh well.)

She doesn't walk forward at all. At least not that I have seen. She tends to stand a lot, giggle/laugh, and do the puppy playful position a lot. I'll have to play with her more to see what goes on.

Previous owner said they barely played with it, so that's not really any help there, actually.

And I don't have a smartphone, so i can't do any of that. Too expensive for those on a monthly basis. It's one thing for me to save my money to get things i want, it's another to spend monthly on such a low wage, sadly. :P Oh well, maybe someday when i snag a better job. :D

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2013, 05:54:58 PM »

Is she actually old enough to walk forwards? Mine tended to moonwalk before taking those first forward steps.
Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!

Midorime

• Head of the herd
  • Female
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2013, 06:48:35 PM »

The StatsRB said she was in the Mature stage. Which is odd since the previous owner said they barely played with the Pleo. So I honestly am unsure, it's very strange. she's very playful, though, so maybe she's juvenile? But even so, doesn't that stage walk?

kat

• Pleo Grand Master, 2nd epoch
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Kermit (Pink RB), Norbit (Green RB), Pickle(nude RB), Gumble, Minyon and Frankie
  • : 2013 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2013, 07:52:44 PM »

It could be the edge detection from the pattern on your floor.  We have a painted cement floor that has been done to look like marble and my guys will often see something in the marble pattern on the floor that makes them edge detect and back up.  It sounds like she is doing the normal backing up behavior.  One of mine will always do the doggy crouch and growl before backing up - like she is telling the obstacle off :P  Before she gives up and backs away.  When pleos walk backwards they always go in a circle so that they end up pointing a different direction to what they were before, allowing them to go around obstacles.
Try her on a different surface or you could put down some cardboard or a plain colored sheet or cloth for her to walk around on and see if that makes a difference.
Berry is a cute name for her.  I was going to suggest Melly kind of like melon as her eyes seem to be that water melon color, but Berry is great. :)

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
  • Pleo(s): Iggy, Budge, Moschops, Monty, Emmy. Belle, Zillah, Tribble
  • : 2010 winnerTomat Harvest Festivals
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2013, 06:15:43 AM »

As Kat says, it could be the edge detection, my lot are very suspicious of the lines between the tiles on my kitchen floor.  :D

Midorime

• Head of the herd
  • Female
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2013, 08:16:42 AM »

That makes a lot of sense, there are also very dark thick grout lines between the tiles and that could be what she's doing. Thanks you guys, I'll keep her off the tile next time. :P
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal