Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Plush Pleo  (Read 2300 times)

Watergazer

• Pleo wanderer
  • Female
Plush Pleo
« on: December 10, 2010, 09:30:45 AM »

I've always liked the plush Pleo sample seen at one of the electronic shows. Is that idea completely dead? I know a lot of people didn't care for it since it gave him more wrinkles and kinda made his mouth look old-manish...but I found it adorable. Are there any plans to make a run of these? Is that particular model available by any chance?

allosaurus

Re: Plush Pleo
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2010, 10:48:18 AM »

Well, I sure hope not!

Pleo was never meant to be a plush toy, it was meant to be lifelike.

If you want a plush toy......

May I suggest Kota?

:P

Watergazer

• Pleo wanderer
  • Female
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2010, 01:00:54 PM »

Kota? Come on. That's a kid's toy. It doesn't compare to Pleo.  Why so against the plush exterior? I certainly love the realistic rubber skin and wouldn't part with it...but the plush version is in itself it's own animal. I rather liked the idea of skin that won't rip and tear. I've limited my play with Herbie very much due to this. When I see photos of other Pleos on the forums that are in daily use, it makes me sad to see all the wear and tear that completely eliminates the reality of its look when robotics are exposed. We don't want zombie Pleos. I'm not saying get rid of the rubber skin...I just really like the option for plush too.

barrettgazzy

• Apprentice pleo master
  • 00 Male
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2010, 01:06:06 PM »

Fair comments watergazer , myself would like to see other options for skin but not too sure on the plush my self really but there must be other options and if Pleo rb is a success that might pave way a possibility for a 3rd generation Pleo with different skin etc etc ?
2 ugobe Pleo's
1 Aibo 210 supercore
1 Aibo 220  :-)

allosaurus

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2010, 01:07:22 PM »

I'm very, very, against the plush because it looks heck ugly, also my top reason is that it IS NOT A REALISTIC DINOSAUR IF IT HAS PLUSH.  And who says it's not going to rip?  It's fabric, and it has an even higher chance of ripping if it includes sewn thread....

Anyway, I should probably be more helpful and nicer than that..... So I shall at least attempt to do so. :P

From what I understand, the plush version of Pleo will NOT be sold, but that's just the gist I got from it.  If there are any plans for it, I don't believe they've been released.  At all.

But who knows?

Watergazer

• Pleo wanderer
  • Female
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2010, 03:24:41 PM »

Um...wow.

Fabric could tear too but then again, I can sew. And fabric would open the door for a plethora of paint options, realistic and non. I am sure they are currently limited with paint choices for the rubber simply due to the differences in paint color chemistries reacting well with rubber and motion. But I think at least we can all agree on one thing then...there needs to be a Pleo hospital wherein a Pleo that has undergone skin stresses can get an all-new skin put on at the factory.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 03:32:55 PM by Watergazer »

kat

• Pleo Grand Master, 2nd epoch
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Kermit (Pink RB), Norbit (Green RB), Pickle(nude RB), Gumble, Minyon and Frankie
  • : 2013 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2010, 04:22:54 PM »

So far Kermy my pleo rb has had no paint loss from all the petting and stroking she has received in the 2 weeks I have had her.  She came in the box with 2 pin head size flake spots on her left shoulder but these have not changed.  So I do believe they have made a great improvement to the skin on the pleo rb's.  She also has a lot of wrinkles/excess skin around her armpits, I believe this was an area in the older models that had tearing issues.  I am not sure if her neck or tail skin is any different to the older models as I don't own any other pleos to compare her to.  However the skin on her tail does seem quite thick.  So here's hoping that the improved skin has been improved enough to stop the tearing issues of the past. :)

91/23Class

• Sugar cane harvester
  • Male
  • Well Hi there!
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2010, 08:23:00 AM »

Sorry Watergazer, but I have to agree with Allo on this one; IMO, a consumer robot should either be bare bones, components only, and purely functional, OR be like the current pleos; trying to imitate something life-like to be as realistic as possible. And while I realise a plush pleo may be good for novelty factor, and could sell better than the current pleos (especially to a younger audience), I personally find the idea quite distasteful. Oh, and just for the record, I bought Ploo used with his fair share of rips and wear, and unfortunately it only seems to have got worse, but to be quite honest, I wouldn't have him any other way.
Ploo is a cute name.
The owner needs to fix him.
Ploo is second hand.

Cool, huh?

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2010, 01:25:12 PM »

What happens when the skin gets dirty? You can't wash a Pleo...
Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!

kat

• Pleo Grand Master, 2nd epoch
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Kermit (Pink RB), Norbit (Green RB), Pickle(nude RB), Gumble, Minyon and Frankie
  • : 2013 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2010, 03:27:41 PM »

I would love my pleo to have a softer texture and more velvety feel to her skin but if she did she would not be nearly as life like as she is.  Lizards and snakes and other reptile creatures all have a funny scaled or leathery weird feel to their skin and I think the rubbery pleo skin is the best way to try and imitate this.  Perhaps Innvo should do a whole new range of pleo capes in many different colors and shades then you could change your pleos color on a whim and enjoy a soft feel skin. %)

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
  • Pleo(s): Iggy, Budge, Moschops, Monty, Emmy. Belle, Zillah, Tribble
  • : 2010 winnerTomat Harvest Festivals
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2010, 05:07:06 PM »

I must admit I wasn't all that keen on the plush Pleo, but it might be nice if they just brought out a sort of 'Pleo shaped' soft toy.  It would be great for younger fans too, you could even wash them then!  :)

scaledandtailed

• Pleo lightbringer
  • Female
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2010, 06:14:50 PM »

I like Crewella’s idea.  Being a reptile lover I prefer the skin as is but a plush pleo toy     is a good idea.  You could even maybe have it make a recorded selection of pleo sounds if you squeeze its tummy or a foot or something.
 Something like that might appeal to young and older fans alike but at the same time be relatively cheep to produce. 

Pages: [1]   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal