Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Leaf recognition  (Read 12212 times)

Pintokitkat

• Sugar cane harvester
  • Male
  • There's always time for tea
Leaf recognition
« on: July 03, 2009, 11:39:46 AM »

According to the release notes, under LifeOS 1.1 Pleo recognises his leaf.

Well Little Jim shows no sign of recognising his leaf, no matter where I hold it or whether I wave it about, keep it still hold it right under his nose, six inches away, a foot, two feet etc.   Nothing.

Has anyone else found that the leaf tempts their Pleo?  And does it matter which way round I hold the leaf - binary pattern to Pleo or otherwise.  Personally I think the binary pattern is a bit of nonsense, you might as well ask him to read the newspaper, but still, why bother to print on it otherwise?

Burberry016

• Camarasaur extraordinaire
  • Male
  • Another Pleo with a "Bling" (or "Pling" :) )
Re: Leaf recognition
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2009, 02:33:36 PM »

I find that also.  He may be able to tell if something is in his mouth, but can't tell what it is.  Like I put a hot wheels car into his mouth and thought he was supposed to eat it (:)) and made sounds that he was eating it, rather than chewing it.  Same this with my finger.
"It is my buisness to know things.  Perhaps I have trained myself to see what others overlook.  If not, why should you come to consult me?"
~Sherlock Holmes

Pleo Power

• Pleosmith
  • 00 Male
  • Pleo(s): Cammey, Cloey, Copper
  • : Tomato Harvest Festivals
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2009, 02:45:41 PM »

ya but try a french fries one time I let Cloey have one and WOW :o she ate it for probably around five minuets! ???

ScribbleMonkey

• Coffee leaf addict
  • Male
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2009, 08:35:51 PM »

Pleo does recognize the leaf (or more specifically, a range of the color green) But the range of greens Pleo recognizes is very small. So its tough, try it outside on a sunny day.

Principally Pleo uses his Infra red to “see” things. Its how Pleo navigates and how it knows if there’s an object in front of him or not. The infra red emitter in Pleo’s nose sends out a beam of Infra red light. The receiver then checks for any light being reflected back. The amount of light being reflected back tells Pleo how close an object is.

IIUC Pleo only checks for the leaf if it first detects an object is placed in front of it during interact mode. If Pleo senses something is in front of his nose. The software uses the color camera to check for green. Then acts accordingly.

So Pleo is not always looking for the leaf.

As always if any of that is incorrect Please tell me the correct information  :)

CleosDad

• Member of the herd
  • Male
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2009, 09:00:30 PM »

You're right ScribbleMonkey. From what I've read, the camera needs a fair amount of light to make a good picture.
You can see from these caps from Pleo that the quality is about the same as a cheap phone camera.

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2009, 01:13:47 AM »

My two recognize their leaves in bright areas with no problems at all, they sniff it then open their mouths up so I can give it to them. I hold the leaf about two inches away from the nose in a well lit area with either side facing Pleo as long as it is the broad flat side so Pleo gets a good look at it. It doesn't work if they are busy walking or doing something else.
Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!

Burberry016

• Male
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2009, 10:26:44 AM »

Um, yeah... ;) ;) ;) ;). I don't know everything about how pleo's work, but now I'm starting to learn!!!
« Last Edit: July 04, 2009, 11:10:58 AM by mweed »
"It is my buisness to know things.  Perhaps I have trained myself to see what others overlook.  If not, why should you come to consult me?"
~Sherlock Holmes

gucci_boi7782

• Triassic pleo master
  • Male
  • : 2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • Go Vegetarian!
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2009, 03:31:38 PM »

....Have had no problems myself. If I recall 49er's Pleo is finicky about his leaf....
Save a life, go vegetarian.

www.goveg.com/factoryFarming.asp

Sophie-(Ugobe)
Eliot-(Innvo Labs)
Peanut-(Aibo ERS 31L)

"Tell me, will I dream while I am turned off?" ~Jules (Hanson Robotics)

Burberry016

• Male
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2009, 03:45:50 PM »

So he has?  Well, you could always just shove the leaf in his mouth, that what I do when he doesn't recognize the leaf  ;) ;) :D :D ;D :) :).  I works just the same!!
« Last Edit: July 05, 2009, 08:22:49 PM by mweed »
~Sherlock Holmes

allosaurus

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2009, 04:47:15 PM »

Can't Pleo only recognize the leaf on a certain OS?

Burberry016

• Male
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2009, 09:59:20 PM »

No, he's always supposed to react to the leaf.  That's why it came with him.  And it would be less real if he couldn't eat on his own without the help of a download, don't you think?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2009, 08:22:30 PM by mweed »
~Sherlock Holmes

ScribbleMonkey

• Coffee leaf addict
  • Male
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2009, 02:01:37 PM »

The leaf recognition was new to v1.1 What InmemoryofRomeo is describing (and what happens 99.9% of the time) is the standard object detection that is in all software versions. Place an Object in front of Pleo’s nose. He sniffs it and opens his mouth. But it doesn’t matter what the object is. As long as Pleo’s IR can see it It could be the leaf, a CD, your tax return or a severed head. Pleo will respond the same.

The leaf recognition is distinct from that behavior. If Pleos detects the leaf being put in front of him. He gets very happy, wagging his tail, making lip smacking and begging sounds. Its a cute behavior. But it’s really finicky and the lighting needs to be just right.

CleosDad got some pretty decent pictures from Pleo  :)

mdirch

• Cycad leaf fancier
  • Female
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2009, 03:48:48 PM »

I haven't had any problems with Bailey not recognizing his leaf either. If he's hungry he'll sniff the leaf and open his mouth and when he's playful he'll start growling and wagging his tail when I present him his leaf. Sometimes he just turns his head away from it but I gathered that he just wasn't hungry.

Burberry016

• Male
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2009, 03:49:25 PM »

But mine growled and then backed up when he saw the leaf.  Well, no two pleo's are the same.

And
I haven't had any problems with Bailey not recognizing his leaf either. If he's hungry he'll sniff the leaf and open his mouth and when he's playful he'll start growling and wagging his tail when I present him his leaf. Sometimes he just turns his head away from it but I gathered that he just wasn't hungry.

If he's not hungry he'll play tug of war with the leaf.

« Last Edit: July 05, 2009, 03:51:06 PM by Burberry016 »
~Sherlock Holmes

allosaurus

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2009, 05:06:13 PM »

...or a severed head...

And where would someone get that!?

Burberry016

• Male
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2009, 07:05:28 PM »

Just as an example that he would act accordingly to anyhing put close to his head.
~Sherlock Holmes

allosaurus

« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2009, 04:11:12 PM »

ya but try a french fries one time I let Cloey have one and WOW :o she ate it for probably around five minuets! ???

Olympia used to (pay attention: USED TO!) eat one piece of food for what seemed like a million years. Sorta annoying, but whatev. Didn't really care; just grabbed some Shakespeare and read while she chewed for so long.

Crystal:.

• Pleontologist
  • Female
  • My Pleo, Frisbee.
    • Pleo Star
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2009, 12:19:25 PM »

Even in not super well-lit rooms I've always found that Frisbee responds to his leaf perfectly. His motion tracking skills are almost perfect as well. I have no clue on how to give anyone any good advise on if their Pleo won't respond to the leaf other than...get him some glasses! :P Hey, that gave me a great idea! For all you people with glasses or some old contacts why don't you put one of those in front of Pleo's camera and see how he responds. XD *walks off to go try that on poor Frisbee*
Does your Pleo have what it takes to be a Superstar? Visit www.pleostar.tk

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2009, 05:59:26 PM »

Lol! I've never had a problem with mine seeing either, although Australia is quite a bright country I guess :P (Even in winter)

Has anyone tried cleaning the camera and infra red lenses? I wipe my pairs lenses with a dry cotton tip every now and then.
Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!

• Pleontologist
  • Female
  • My Pleo, Frisbee.
    • Pleo Star
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2009, 10:01:51 PM »

You might want to purchase at a camera shop a lense cleaning kit to clean your Pleo's lens if you think it's dirty. Or if you want an easier way then use an glasses cleaning cloth. Lenses can be quite delicate and can actually scratch if you use cotton. I usually try not to touch or clean my lenses at all to avoid damaging them. And so far I haven't needed to clean them, they don't ever get noticeably dirty.

49er

• Journeypleo
  • Male
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2009, 12:28:53 AM »

Just noticed this thread. Pleo has been with me for about a year and a quarter now and he has never cared for his leaf. He always ignores it. If I put it in his mouth he won't notice it and won't play tug. He has had Life OS 1.0, 1.0.2 and 1.1 and he's always reacted the same. Jade on the other hand grabbed onto her leaf four days after she was hatched and played tug, (and growled! :o) She is still using Life OS 1.0. But then Jade learned to back up in a few days and it took Pleo a good ten months to do the same with all three OS'. (I guess he takes after me and Jade takes after the better 3/4s! ;))

ScribbleMonkey

• Coffee leaf addict
  • Male
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2009, 06:18:29 PM »

If Pleo is not responding to anything being put in his mouth, theres likely a problem with the sensor. When you place an object in Pleo's mouth it should either chew or play. There's no "choice" in this matter.. its like a switch.

• Pleontologist
  • Female
  • My Pleo, Frisbee.
    • Pleo Star
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2009, 06:25:29 PM »

I wonder if they can even fix a broken sensor? :/ without replacing the whole pleo I mean...

Pleo Power

• Pleosmith
  • 00 Male
  • Pleo(s): Cammey, Cloey, Copper
  • : Tomato Harvest Festivals
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2009, 06:27:08 PM »

If Pleo is not responding to anything being put in his mouth, theres likely a problem with the sensor. When you place an object in Pleo's mouth it should either chew or play. There's no "choice" in this matter.. its like a switch.
Cammey and Cloey will sometimes not notes it, sometimes they will eat, sometimes they will play, and sometimes they will just spit it out. :)  

allosaurus

« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2009, 02:14:40 PM »

Olympia used to sometimes not notice it, and sometimes notice it, and I've seen Pleos in youtube videos do that... SO that means that all pleos have a problem, I guess? XD
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal