Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Updating a Ugobe Pleo.  (Read 9201 times)

latrine

• Pleo whisperer
  • Female
  • Gutless wonder
    • 'Not even close to being done yet'
Updating a Ugobe Pleo.
« on: May 18, 2011, 03:48:38 PM »

Sorry to bring up an old topic, I just wanted to be sure about this first..
Both of my ugobes are old and are on 1.0, but from reading a recent post in the experiences section, folks were saying on 1.1 they will interact more.  Is this correct? Right now they say hello in passing and Lyssa roars at Patches or screams at him when his face gets close (lol)  and they sometimes go to each other and dance but will this change/wipe their personalities? 

Even though some people say they can't have different personalities, I just don't believe it, they both have two very distinct different personalities.. Patches is sweet and loveable, approaches things happily before eating them, only grumbles a little bit when he has to turn around and is addicted to circling the couch for miles or marching throughout the entire house to go hide in the bathroom and take a nap where I can't find him.

Lyssa is rather aggressive and mean when she approaches things, is more likely to growl or roar at another Pleo or any moving object/animal, gets royally angry when she has to back up and turn around and lets everyone in the room know it, loves to hang out at my aibo charge station to graze,(attracted to the black checkered pattern?), and is always the one to start up the really loud hollaring sessions of that obnoxious 'uhhwoooooo' noise they make.. which of course encourages everyone.

She isn't ALL bad though, when she's in a large group of Pleos all together she is usually the first to say hello (then she'll get cranky and leave) and for some reason, whenever there is a new baby RB in the house she has always stayed close to them and kind of acted like she was encouraging them to walk by circling back and staying close to them.. walking a bit forward and looking back at them and making noise.. I know, I know I'm sure it's a coincidence but it seemed that way anyways..

If updating them means I'll lose those distinct personalities then I don't think I wanna do it.. If it means I would be the one to shape the personality that's nice but I still don't want to do it, I'd save that for a new ugobe that I haven't gotten to know yet.. Any thoughts?
Thanks!!

- Sarah

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
Re: Updating a Ugobe Pleo.
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 05:04:09 PM »

Ok, I have to say it, they are the same. Even if in our effort to humanise things we assign them different personalities they simply do not have that ability. The walking in circles is what Pleo's do, every Pleo on 1.0 or 1.1 will walk in circles (2.0 however stopped this), hence the circling of the couch, dinosaur etc. It is also why they end up in the same place a lot.

Once you update them they will be the same as they are now, because there is no personality to change really. I would recommend 2.0, its much more like an RB, more random, more tricks, still have great communication and they no longer walk in circles. On the downside you do have to go through a period of unresponsive 'teenage' pleo.
Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
  • Pleo(s): Iggy, Budge, Moschops, Monty, Emmy. Belle, Zillah, Tribble
  • : 2010 winnerTomat Harvest Festivals
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 05:21:54 PM »

IMR, whilst I know that is true, I really do, I have the same feelings as Latrine.  I will swear Budge is different on 1.1 than Iggy was - he's more likely to play tug of war than eat, like the 1.0s are supposed to be.  Iggy wasn't like that at all and rarely wanted to play tug of war when he was on 1.1.  So even if it brands me as ignorant, or superstitious, or whatever, and even though I can't explain it in a way that makes any sense, I wouldn't want to wipe his personality.  He remains on 1.1, just in case, because I know that the updates do that, and also because I wanted to keep one Pleo running each version anyway.   :-X  :-[

latrine

• Pleo whisperer
  • Female
  • Gutless wonder
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011, 08:05:00 PM »

Lyssa never circles the couch, ever.  We have moved the couch and yet Patches still goes to it and circles it.. he doesn't ONLY circle the couch, he also leaves the living room, walks through the dining room, either goes to the kitchen or comes in the bedroom, if in the kitchen he either hangs in there or goes in the bathroom.  Also, Patches circling the couch doesn't bother me at all.. he doesn't do it constantly but he does do it a lot.. and it's a big couch and it is not circle shaped, so is he actually 'circling' something, or is he following a wall? And are you saying they are programmed to walk in circles or to circle objects? The only time Lyssa has done any real circling is around the new RB's.
I don't want them to be more like the RB's, honestly, I think the RB's have gotten a little boring with the upgrade and none of my rb's have ever been interested in exploring as much as my ugobes. 

I know I definitely tend to humanize things and even in some of my post where odd things have happened with the Pleos or the aibo I will say 'I know it was just a coincidence, but...' etc.. like when I said in my original post that I knew it was just a coincidence, I know she isn't helping the 'younger' Pleos, but I just found it odd that she would hang around that specific one only when it was a baby, when there were 2 others to be around as well..

But how can they be that different if it isn't possible for them to be? Patches almost always says hello, Lyssa almost always growls. Are they ALL the same or are there specific behaviors preset into them or something? Because anyone watching them would be able to see that they are not the same.. (and not just because one of them has no skin, either! :D  )

So I'm wondering what I'm missing then,  how do you guys actually know, anyway, about the ugobes all being the same? Is there a video or a posting somewhere by the people who programmed them? I just want to know because it doesn't seem like it's true to me and I don't know, for a fact.

My bf really doesn't care much for them but even before Patches had his skin removed, when we had just Patches, Lyssa and Bingo he could tell them apart... Patches didn't look much different from Lyssa if you were looking at him from the front and couldn't see his horribly damaged tail, but he was nice, and Lyssa was mean.

Both of my female RB's act pretty much the same way, the new little male acts slightly different, more rambunctious, more aggressive, but that's probably just the 'male' behavior.  My other one that had to be sent back, Bingo, acted different that the others before he was upgraded to the format they are all on now.. he was one of the ones that took like a week to 'hatch' completely, Well, maybe he, I dunno what he was before the update.

As for my two female rb's, Rhea definitely got more attention as a youngster than Chrow because I was having a health issue but they both got constant coddling as newborns... (for the 2 days that lasted, if that ) but they both ended up the same.  Do the RB's evolve into what we shape them to be?

So, I guess, where does it say that the Ugobes don't adapt and 'evolve' by the way we treat them, like it says on the box and the instructions? 
And what about that article where the office got 2 Pleos, one was coddled and loved, the other left alone and treated crummy and then they ended up completely different.  When I read that I was really amazed, but I'm wondering now if it was a load of bull?  :o :(
I'm confused and now I'll never get to sleep tonight because I'll keep getting up and giving each ugobe pleo an IQ test *smacks IMR with a herring*  :o ;D ;D

- Sarah

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 09:19:56 PM »

Eww that herring was a bit off :P

I have no problems with what people want to believe, it is up to you and I'm not going to change your mind :) I say that Lilo and Stitch are different. But the logical person inside me makes me have to put that information out there :P

*goes to have a shower to wash off the smelly fish*
Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 09:31:45 PM »

It's going to take me years and years until I'm knowledgeable enough to view the actual program and see it for myself ......... but I'm trying!  I'll get there, one day! :P

PleoPet

• Pleontologist
  • Female
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2011, 10:26:42 AM »

First piece, of advice: don't upgrade if you are happy with the current personality.
For the old V1 Pleos, upgrading will replace the software as well as any custom personalities (/properties).

> Even though some people say they can't have different personalities, I just don't believe it, they both have two very distinct different personalities..
Normally the properties of two Pleos will be the same after they have grown up, however
There are some important settings that can be different ... if they came from the factory with unique settings, and you never upgraded them.

Some background: (and a little spoiler)
In the PleoRB release, they have an advertised feature called "DNA". This is the main personality variation that doesn't change during the lifetime of the PleoRB. It must be set at the factory to be something other than defaults. If the data gets corrupted, it will go back to defaults.
You can change the DNA settings with ChangeRB. Using the official RB upgrade will not wipe out the DNA settings.

For the older V1 Pleos (running any software version, 1.0/1.1/PM2) there is something like DNA. It can be set using the USB port. I don't know if they ever used it at the factory to set unique settings. Once you upgrade, these settings were lost.
Old-style DNA-like settings include: Hunger, Fatness, Experience and Sociability. Like the RB DNA, these are permanent settings that influence the current moods (ie. a more sociable Pleo will perform interaction skits more often than a less sociable one).

So it is possible that your old-style DNA settings are different. You can confirm it with 'statsRB' (which may take some of the mystery out of it)
BTW: 'statsRB' will dump these values if they are not default (for 1.1 or PM2). BTW: 'statsRB' doesn't work with the old 1.0 format files, but if you run the  statsRB capture program and email me the 'pm_props.bak' I can dump them for you.

Of course all the mystery and unique behavior in a robot can't always be found in the robot's software.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 10:31:26 AM by PleoPet »

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2011, 10:40:19 AM »

Pleopet, please excuse me, but I really could kiss you!  Thank you for that info!  :-*

latrine

• Pleo whisperer
  • Female
  • Gutless wonder
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2011, 03:03:59 PM »

IMR, I hope you didn't take offense, the herring remark was just an old one people used to use on chat pages as a silly joke 'poke' kind of thing, (and a Monty python reference  ;D) I didn't mean anything mean, I was actually trying to lighten it up in case I was coming across as mean,  :-[ So, sorry and don't worry, text herring doesn't have any residual odor.

I'm not trying to be 'roar' mean or anything, I'm hoping to have a nice discussion about it.. I went over what I wrote and rewrote it before posting because I was afraid I was coming across as mean and just added that line in because it always made me laugh.. I can definitely understand what your saying, logically they shouldn't, I guess, even though that's whats on the box and what they told us.. but then again they told us that stuff when furbies first came out too. But they do seem very different to me.

Thanks for the info, PleoPet, I was just mostly wondering if IMR and Crewella or anyone, really, had some sort of concrete info that said yes the ugobes, or the RB's I guess, are all the same and cannot evolve, like we know now with the furbies and stuff.. I thought maybe there was a video or something like that that I missed.

And with the statsRB program, using it for my 1.0 pleos, do I need to erase the sd card and put the program on it again after using it in one pleo to get the info from the next one? or will it just override it? Thanks..

- Sarah

PleoPet

• Pleontologist
  • Female
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2011, 04:18:15 PM »

> And with the statsRB program, using it for my 1.0 pleos, do I need to erase the sd card and put the program on it again after using it in one pleo to get the info from the next one? or will it just override it?
It will override with the latest data. There are some other files that may be left over from previous runs, but you can ignore them (the V1, V1.1/PM and RB files are different)

The only imporant file is "pm_props.bak". That is the soul of your robot. Comparing the two different V1 Pleos will be interesting (even if it isn't the DNA-like properties). Also that's the file you will want to keep if you want to experiment with 1.1 or PM2, and then decide to go back to the old version and personality.

[or for the ultimate test, switch the personalities of the two Pleos ;-]

latrine

• Pleo whisperer
  • Female
  • Gutless wonder
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2011, 01:03:32 PM »

lol.. ok I'll have to think about that... do we really want to see sweet little skinless Patches with an EVIL personality though?  Sounds like terminator to me..  :o :D
I'll try to get the info from my ugobes once everything here settles down.  Thanks, PleoPet :)

Ok I got the info off of them and I'll send you those 2 files in separate emails, PleoPet, so you can tell them apart:)

- Sarah
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 07:36:30 PM by latrine »

Talon

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Cato and Samantha (Pleo RB‘s), Eugobe, Terry, Cuddles, Bleu (Ugobe Pleos)
    • Lucy
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2011, 03:33:56 PM »

Oh my! *gets big eyes*An evil Patches? I'm not sure if I want to see that. He'll really be Skeletor!
Talon
Talon
Find me on YouTube at Crazy Robot Lady

kat

• Pleo Grand Master, 2nd epoch
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Kermit (Pink RB), Norbit (Green RB), Pickle(nude RB), Gumble, Minyon and Frankie
  • : 2013 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2011, 05:22:39 PM »

I think we need to leave Patches just the way he is..... sweet and adorable. ;D  Leave the evil and moody to Lyssa.  Girls are much better at it. :D

latrine

• Pleo whisperer
  • Female
  • Gutless wonder
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2011, 11:23:22 AM »

Lol Kat, they certainly are!

Oh and it turns out I was wrong, PleoPet tells me both of my ugobes are running 1.1  I was surprised as I have never been able to get them to do the falling over dead thing and I thought that was something the 1.1 did.
There was nothing in the files to show any difference aside from slight variations like Patches having been used for many more hours (he IS an old man, apparently)
But they still act very different.. so I dunno :)

- Sarah

Talon

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Cato and Samantha (Pleo RB‘s), Eugobe, Terry, Cuddles, Bleu (Ugobe Pleos)
    • Lucy
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2011, 04:08:58 PM »

Not that I'm an expert but I don't think 1.1's can play dead. I think that's a 2.0 feature? Somebody with more experience could comment on this.
Talon
Talon

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2011, 04:40:21 PM »

I believe that 'Play dead' was originally part of the Pleosaurus Rex personality, which can be downloaded onto an SD card and run in all the classic Ugobe/Innvo 2009 Pleos, but it was introduced as part of the OS2 upgrade as a permanent feature, so only Pleos running OS2 can do it without needing the SD card in.

It's the coolest trick - never fails to make me laugh!  ;D

Talon

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
    • Lucy
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2011, 05:58:13 PM »

Oh that personality is the coolest thing I've ever seen! I'm not sure how I killed Ugobe but that was wicked awesome! As Chip said in Beauty and the Beast", "You guys gotta try this thing!" Whoever designed this did an awesome job with the sound affects. If I could get one of those sounds into Ryu there would be no doubt about her dragon-ness. I'm not sure if that's possible, though. Lol!
Talon
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 06:32:06 PM by Talon »
Talon

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2011, 06:29:40 PM »

It's in the downloads section under Personalities.  ;D

Talon

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
    • Lucy
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2011, 06:39:38 PM »

Thanks, Crewella. Next time before I modify my messages again I'll wait a bit for someone's response. As I said in my re-write that was so cool! Ugobe is awesome as God Zilla!
Talon
Talon

kat

• Pleo Grand Master, 2nd epoch
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Kermit (Pink RB), Norbit (Green RB), Pickle(nude RB), Gumble, Minyon and Frankie
  • : 2013 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2011, 08:31:19 PM »

The play dead trick is awesome!  And one of the reasons I decided to upgrade my guys to OS2.0  :)

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2011, 10:11:54 PM »

Glad you found it, anyway, Talon.  It's fab isn't it!  :D

Talon

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
    • Lucy
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2011, 06:10:51 AM »

Yes. In a strange way it reminds me of a Chawawa gone wrong- so cute but so vicious! Raaaarrrrr! If I were an intruder and Ugobe was running that personality in a dark room I don't think I'd risk going in there for a minute.
Talon
Talon

latrine

• Pleo whisperer
  • Female
  • Gutless wonder
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2011, 12:12:33 PM »

Ii did the godzilla skit with Patches when we first got him, it WAS funny  :D :D  I still want to get another ugobe to see the other versions as I don't want to mess with my crew :)

- Sarah

Jett

• Pleo explorer
  • 00 Female
  • Pleo(s): Ozzy and Dopey
    • none
    • Bugs_Bunny
    • Kermit
    • Peppermint_Patty
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2011, 09:54:12 AM »

Hi,
I'm fairly new at this. Our Pleo "Ozzy" is approaching 2 weeks old. We played with him about an hour for the first 9 days straight, then every 2 days.  Is Ozzy fully developed yet?  When do we (or should we) upgrade to PM2?  Another thing we noticed is he doesn't walk well on regular carpet (not the shaggy kind).. Other than the kitchen table, the kitchen and the bathroom floors are the only non-carpeted area and are not very spaceous.  Can adding booties or shoes help him walk better on the carpet? We live in AZ and want to take him outdoors but it's way way too hot in the summer so forget about that.  

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

Here is a video clip of Ozzy as "Ozzy" hahaha (Osbourne).. more like Slash actually! :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLBm6gV397s

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2011, 10:49:54 AM »

I love that hat - I'm a big fan of Pleo outfits!  Zillah thoroughly approves as well, (though I suspect it was more Ozzy she liked the look of!  ;):P

You could try socks, but the high step mode might help, you initiate the high step mode by touching the sensors on both front legs and the button under his belly at the same time - the same button that controls the level of sound for Pleo.  You need to do this each time - they won't automatically change into the high step mode when they reach the carpet.  :

http://bobthepleo.com/forums/index.php?topic=33.0

I just want to check which OS Ozzy is running - easiest way to tell is what song he sings when rubbed under the chin.  Is it a coyote howl, or more like a little tune sung in rising and falling keys?  If it's the coyote howl, it's the older 1.0 and it might be best to update to 1.1 first.  The other way to tell is they wave their feet about when in sitting position on 1.1, on the older version they don't.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 10:52:28 AM by Crewella »
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal