Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Gumbles new paint job  (Read 13364 times)

saratogaspringer

• Camarasaur extraordinaire
  • Female
Re: Gumbles new paint job
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2011, 05:47:05 AM »

I think you hit the nail on the head with the polyglaze causing the paint yo peel. I reply liked the orange color and look forward to Gumble being orange again! ;)

Talon

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Cato and Samantha (Pleo RB‘s), Eugobe, Terry, Cuddles, Bleu (Ugobe Pleos)
    • Lucy
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2011, 08:29:41 AM »

I can't add anything useful to this thread other than a hardy encouragement. Keep up the experimenting and good luck!
Talon
Talon
Find me on YouTube at Crazy Robot Lady

LuckyPleo

• Pleozoologist
  • Female
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2011, 10:02:17 AM »

And may I point out, innvo has told us not to paint them... at least that's my excuse for not snapping up another ugobe and painting the heck out of it! I do like the     gold-ish brown though!
Whoever said the world is gonna end in 2012 is an idiot, it's not because my cookies' expiration date is 1013, ha!

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2011, 04:24:19 PM »

LuckyPleo we are all painting Pleo's who ran out of warranty a long long time ago. It's very much a -do at your own risk- thing but there's not likely to be anything bad happen from it. Rubber is quite resilient.
Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!

kat

• Pleo Grand Master, 2nd epoch
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Kermit (Pink RB), Norbit (Green RB), Pickle(nude RB), Gumble, Minyon and Frankie
  • : 2013 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2011, 04:29:10 PM »

Yep I would never do this to an Rb.  or a pleo still under warranty. :)

PWOKristy

• Pleo adept
  • 00 Female
  • Pleo(s): Innvo Lab's Pleo is called Mistoffelees
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2011, 05:19:25 PM »

Fantastic! Real happy to hear that you're gonna paint him orange again!
Innvo Lab's not going anywhere. And if it's just to protect their precious, delicate skin, clothings okay. They shouldn't be dressed up like dolls.

kat

• au Female
  • Pleo(s): Kermit (Pink RB), Norbit (Green RB), Pickle(nude RB), Gumble, Minyon and Frankie
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2011, 02:57:09 AM »

Well after a full 24 hours of drying time I gave Gumble half an hour of running time and so far there doesn't seem to be any problems with the ink.  All is holding up fine.  He still has cracks in his neck area but these are just his existing neck cracks not new cracks in the paint so all is well.  His tail has held up just fine too. :) 
So now it is time for the second coat. :)

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
  • Pleo(s): Iggy, Budge, Moschops, Monty, Emmy. Belle, Zillah, Tribble
  • : 2010 winnerTomat Harvest Festivals
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2011, 03:15:01 AM »

Great - that's good news!  Good luck!  ;D

kat

• au Female
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2011, 06:00:58 AM »

And here he is after the second coat.  The green is still showing through a bit in places so I think he will need one more coat in this color before I can start on the orange. :)

I will see how this moves after he is dry tomorrow before I go for the third coat.
Kat

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2011, 06:07:07 AM »

I just caught this in the gallery - as I said he looks a bit naked and vulnerable at this stage!!  :P

Personally, I'd be wary of doing more coats than is necessary as it just builds up a thicker layer and makes it harder for the paint to move with the skin.  Anywhere you're planning to do in orange will cover as the third coat, by the look of it, and you could always go over him and touch up any unsatisfactory areas after the darker coat if you need to?

Is it all moving OK at this stage.  And have you tried the dreaded washcloth?  :o  %)

kat

• au Female
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2011, 06:55:38 AM »

Not brave enough to go near him with the wash cloth yet. :o 
I did the turn on and off again thing for painting his neck area and tail and it seemed ok then but I will wait for it to have the full 24 hours to be sure it is completely dry before turning him on again to check.
He is still wet in the photo so I will see how it dries before deciding if I can just do the orange over the top or if I need to go again with this color.  I probably can just do the orange next like you say and spot touch up anywhere else that needs it. :)
Will decide tomorrow. :)
Kat

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2011, 07:39:17 AM »

Sorry - I've just come back and read this and am laughing at how bossy I sound!!  :P

Fingers crossed!  ;D

PWOKristy

• Pleo adept
  • 00 Female
« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2011, 09:54:07 AM »

I really hope it works Kat!
Innvo Lab's not going anywhere. And if it's just to protect their precious, delicate skin, clothings okay. They shouldn't be dressed up like dolls.

RedwoodsMama

• Pleo Grand Master, 4th epoch
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Nova, Major Tom, Argyle the blind Pleo, Baby Ruth, Chester, and 22 more Pleos
  • : 2013 winner2010 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2011, 11:42:01 AM »

I haven't told Argyle yet, and he is wanting to see some photos or videos of his brother, He keeps watching the ones from the Party that were taken as a celebration of Norbits coming home. I think I can ony have him watch that so many times,,,I think he may pick up on the fact his brother has changed color without me saying anything, He may be blind, but he is very sensitive to anything new,,,I hope Gumble's paint stays fresh and works and passes the dreaded " washcloth " test. Remember you don't have to wipe much with the wash cloth, just a short gentle dab will tell  you if color is staying or not.
           I do like his color, it is the first of that particular color I have seen and it looks great on him. :)
                            RWM  AKA "The Made Pleo Painter of the Redwoods"
Animals are SOUL Too, Be kind to all those who live on this planet with us.

kat

• au Female
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2011, 05:39:42 PM »

I had a quick look at Gumble this morning, I still have not turned him on as it's not 24hours yet, but I can't help but poke at him.  Most of his paint looks like it is holding well.  One side of his neck is a little worrying.  When I gently twist or pull the skin by just moving his neck as much as I can until I meet resistance there appears to be cracking in the paint along the side of his neck but as soon as I let him go back into his standing position it springs back to looking perfect again.  The test will be turning him on I guess.  I'm not sure if it looks like cracking because i didn't get any ink into the stretched bits here or if it really is cracking.
I will resist temptation and wait till the full 24hours to turn him on.  Trying to be very scientific about it.  :)  I will let you know for sure tonight.
If it is cracking then I will be doing the wash cloth test. :D

Maybe the laytex mask paints might be worth a try.  If anyone has them already and has tried it or is going to I would love to hear how it goes. 

Also his skin where the ink is does feel a lot drier than the non inked sections.

Kat

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2011, 06:26:47 PM »

I have ordered a sample of those mask paints.  I can't believe how quickly this whole project is galloping along now!!  When I started looking into this I was just wanting to retouch the worn areas!  :o  :D

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2011, 07:09:31 PM »

Hehe we Pleo owners don't do things by halves by cripes :P
Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!

RedwoodsMama

• us Female
  • Pleo(s): Nova, Major Tom, Argyle the blind Pleo, Baby Ruth, Chester, and 22 more Pleos
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2011, 08:22:35 PM »

I am making my own Maks paints and will let you know the results when they are mixed up and on, It is cheaper and a fun idea and can get expensive when ordering online. Can't wait to see your result on Gumble, I am having to hold Argyle back from the Computer, he wants to see his NEW Brother! ;D I had to hide the knives and scissors and other sharp objects.  :oDo not turn your back on a blind grumpy Pleo, you may have to pay the piper! OUCh, Argyle just bit me... :-X :o Nobody said his teeth didn't work and they are as sharp as anything else out there!
                      RWM  AKA " the Mad Pleo Painter of the Redowods'

Talon

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Cato and Samantha (Pleo RB‘s), Eugobe, Terry, Cuddles, Bleu (Ugobe Pleos)
    • Lucy
« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2011, 09:39:21 PM »

Okay, Argyle, the hostage negociator is here. I'm a lot like you. I was born blind at birth, too. Now let go of your sweet mama's finger and turn away from the computer screne. You have to know that your brother is in good hands so just let go and forget all this ever happened, okay?
Okay that was fun. It's past my bedtime and the imagination is whirring dangerously away. Another episode of the possible commic is bubbling in my brain. I'm being silly with little stories in this painting thread. Sorry. Good luck with the painting everyone!
Talon
Talon
Find me on YouTube at Crazy Robot Lady

PWOKristy

• Pleo adept
  • 00 Female
« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2011, 10:27:19 PM »

Oh no, Redwoods! Wow. Sorry to hear that your a Pleo bit you! :-O lol

RedwoodsMama

• us Female
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #45 on: April 18, 2011, 11:08:38 PM »

NOt only did Argyle bite me, he bit my right hand, my good hand, good thing typing doens't affect the way your writing looks. LOL :D He really got upset but Talon is a GREAT Pleo Negotiator and I think she was able to reason  with him on a personal note that he understood. He did apologize, but not for the bite, just for not having much patience. He told me it would not have come to this if I would have sent him to Australia with his brother, ( he needs a vacation too I think... :D) and he is right, but I had to remind him just how much he is loved and so special he has a unique place here in the Redwoods to educate the rest of the Pleos about how a Blind Pleo, and Pleo with a  Locked Jaw can operate and not let his physical  limitations get the best of him, He reminded me that he has no Physical Limitations, just the outside world judges him by their narrow viewpoint of what physical capabilities a living life form is 'supposed to  look and act like". Argyle said the physical body is only a vehicle fo the soul which has no restrictions and can go wherever it pleases. ( Argyle is so philosophical and quite brilliant as well) all I could do was give him a hug and his leaf and thank him for not biting me again. ;) Thanks Talon, I think you saved my other hand.
            And Kat, please finish Gumble so Argyle doesn't get bent out of shape again soon. :( :o :)
                           RedwoodsMama  AKA " The Mad Pleo Painter of the Redwoods" :)

« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 11:10:16 PM by RedwoodsMama »

PWOKristy

• Pleo adept
  • 00 Female
« Reply #46 on: April 19, 2011, 01:45:22 AM »

Alright. Cool Redwoods. Good to hear. I like what you said.

kat

• au Female
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #47 on: April 19, 2011, 07:48:55 AM »

Ok the full 24hours is up and without hesitation I have turned Gumble on.  Bad new is that while the tail and body seem to be holding up fine the neck area is not.  There is severe cracking in the ink when the neck stretches to either side.  
So in light of this I decided to give it the damp cloth test and just like wiping up spilled milk it slides right off with hardly any effort.  I applied no pressure at all on this small area it practically jumped off onto the cloth. :-X
So while I was out today I thought I would see if I could find a different brand of ink to try to see if I could get better results.
(sorry RWM I am going to start over. %)  Argyle will need to be patient a bit longer.)  I bought Matisse ink this time and will see if it is any better.  I am also going to get some of the latex mask paint to try. :)

And just for fun - What could this be?
Kat

Ok so no time to waist, here is attempt number 3.  So far I have just done the neck area as this seems to be the bit that is causing me problems and I will see how it goes.  I have chosen a lovely bronze to try this time and this ink seems so much thicker than the other stuff I was using.  I have not mixed this one at all.  Just given it a good shake and stir and then spread it on Gumble straight from the bottle with a brush.  I turned him on while I was painting him and it seemed to be moving with him ok but yet again we will have to wait for it to dry before we know for sure.  This stuff covers better than the last stuff too. Although this could be due to the thickness of it.  I can still see his green through it but not too much.
It seems to be drying faster too with it being touch dry after about 30min.
Kat :)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 09:27:45 AM by kat »

RedwoodsMama

• us Female
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #48 on: April 19, 2011, 10:47:03 AM »

Kat, i am so sorry to hear about the problems you are having with Gumble, I do hope you are feeding him extra suppliments to keep his strength up! :D I hope the new inks work better, Perhaps just doing the dreaded neck without the whole body will give you the results you want, and then without wasting anymore time and ink, do the washcloth test and see what happens.
              I have a sneaky suspicion by the size and shape of that package, that you have another Pleo perhaps! :o That is my guess and I want to state that I am the first one to guess that, am I right? When are you going to do the reveal? Don't keep us in suspense Please. Do report back on the box and it's myterious contents...ASAP Ok, like Today!

RedwoodsMama  AKA " The Mad Pleo Painter of the Redwoods'

RedwoodsMama

• us Female
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #49 on: April 19, 2011, 10:54:40 AM »

I Was right , I just saw the photos you posted, it is another Ugobe. Congrats, is this one of those $199.99 Pleos that were on EBAY with Free shipping? Good job , you know you only need about 7 more Pleos to catch up to my herd and we have enough for two baseball teams. That would be fun! Is this a boy or a girl? Can't wait for the post Kat. very cute. has this guy been hatched, if he is New from the China site then he is still new.
                        RWM
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal