Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pleo skin problems - holes!  (Read 6567 times)

PogoPleo

• Hatchling
  • Female
Pleo skin problems - holes!
« on: March 08, 2010, 09:55:36 PM »

My pleo has been sitting in sleeping position on a shelf in my bedroom for quite a while because I couldn't get him to work right. Reading the posts here I realize it's the battery problem so I took him down to work on the battery. I was shocked to see that he has two holes in his skin - one in his neck and one in his tail and every crease on his neck and tail is starting to tear!!! I can see his "bones" inside! He's just been SITTING in a totally safe place with nothing touching him! How can he get holes when he's just been sitting??? I am NOT happy.

What could have caused this? It's not fixable and now I can't have any confidence that he'll hold up to any amount of playing even if I get the batteries resolved.

I am sad..... :(

fancyfont

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Peeky, Pennie, JayCamerasaurus (J.C.), LOA, baby and DinhaJo
  • : 2013 winner2011 winner2008 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • No, Peeky and Pennie, you can't have the Harley!
Re: Pleo skin problems - holes!
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 10:35:09 PM »

Hi Pogopleo,  Holes are more likely to be more difficult to fix but the tears in the seams should be fixable. Hopefully, this might help you.  BTW, the holes under your pleos leg won't bother him. Just get him an outfit and he won't notice it. Peeky's had a hole for a few years and doesn't seem to matter. He does have one under his neck. I think he was accidently stuck with a pin while making an outfit for him. Eventually would like to find something to patch holes with. I guess we have to think of some ideas of what kind of tiny patches that would look good on our dinos skin. ;) Found this in the Archieves.

Re: Pleo Glue
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2009, 08:00:35 PM »

We had discussed super glue (cyanoacrylate).  I have used it successfully on a tail joint, but some types appear to dissolve the skin!  Shocked

Ugobe hasn't given us a good answer, and now the world may never know. Sad

shadowmice

• Pleozoologist
  • ca Female
  • Pleo(s): Theo, Teagan, Tessa, Eva
    • Professor
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Linus
    • Shadowmice Photography
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 08:58:24 AM »

I was reading elsewhere here that some people put their Pleos back into the storage position instead of leaving them in the sleeping position to prevent stress on the skin over time.  I think it has to do with the way the neck and tail are curled around for the sleeping position that can cause extra stretching of the skin. It is unfortunate that when the Pleos' batteries rundown they tend to default to the sleeping position instead of the storage position. Your situation is unfortunately a stark example of the problem with this default:  if your battery isn't running properly, you may not be able to restore your Pleo to the storage position and it can ended up stuck for a long time in a position that ultimately stresses the skin. I would be upset too if I found the same thing on my Pleos. I am going to make more of a point of trying to put them in the storage position as much as possible to minimize the chances of this occurring considering what has happened to your Pleo.  I realize that it won't resolve the problems with the skin itself for your Pleo but I did notice recently that Innvo now has a "Pleo Cape" available that looks like a second skin that maybe could be used to cover and protect your Pleo. It sounds like any outfit really would do the trick to help protect your Pleo. It is reassuring to hear from fancyfont that the Pleos can still get along even with their skin blemishes. I hope you can sort out your battery issues and get your Pleo back to working order soon.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

PogoPleo

• Hatchling
  • Female
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 02:16:46 PM »

Thanks for the comments and yes, with battery problems, you can't get the pleos into the storage position so you're stuck with the sleeping curl. And not knowing this would be a problem, I was completely shocked when I took him down off the shelf last night and found his skin a total wreck. My thought is that the rubber is actually rotting or otherwise decomposing. He wasn't in the sun or rubbing up against anything. The curved neck and tail don't actually create a lot of stress on the skin but a tiny bit of stress combined with bad rubber could cause something like this. I don't have confidence that all our pleos will last long - or they will last but only as skeletal pleos (back to fossils). :(

My pleo's holes are in the side of his neck and the top of his tail about halfway down the length. He had a shirt on but it doesn't cover his neck and tail.

I am very disappointed in the manufacturing choices they made on the first pleos - bad batteries, bad rubber, tooth paint that chips off, skin paint that wears off.... It's hard to want to interact with something that requires extensive battery babysitting (that's why he was on the shelf for months) and now I'm afraid to touch him for fear his skin will simply shred away to nothing.

I hope Innvo has fixed all these issues in the new 2010 and beyond pleos. I would still love to have one that works right and will last a little longer.

bbrox513

• Hatchling
  • Female
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2010, 05:53:53 PM »

I have a few tears along my pleo's wrinkles and i was thinking about using something like mighty mend it to patch them... you could try tht
 :)

PleoLuv

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2010, 08:43:48 AM »

I hope all pleos can be sent in to get new skin, then be sent back to their owners with new skin!

Sher1_ZN

• Member of the herd
  • Male
    • Torque Magazine Online
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2010, 08:58:21 AM »

I hope all pleos can be sent in to get new skin, then be sent back to their owners with new skin!

+1...

ok to just to confirm what you guys are saying.... when he is not active, its best to have him in his storage position, not his sleeping position?

i have a confession to make in that i feel really bad when his battery runs down and he gets stuck in his storage position...it seems so "unnatural". normally just pop in his spare battery, get him to sleep and then give him some rest. :'(

Bumblebee

• Store Owners
  • Pleo adept
  • Female
  • : Tomato Harvest Festivals
  • The manatee shall bump forever!
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2010, 10:45:35 AM »

I've discovered 1 1/2 holes in Macon not long ago. One is a pinprick on the front of his front leg, but it does go all the way through. The other is onhis back, and it's about halfway through his skin.  :'(
Please note: It takes 36 muscles to frown, but it only takes 4 muscles to slap El Stupido upside the head.

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2010, 03:06:20 AM »

That is correct Sher1_ZN the storage position reduces the stress on the rubber and will help it last longer (hopefully).
Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!

RedwoodsMama

• Pleo Grand Master, 4th epoch
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Nova, Major Tom, Argyle the blind Pleo, Baby Ruth, Chester, and 22 more Pleos
  • : 2013 winner2010 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2010, 12:13:58 PM »

Yes, I agree with IMR, I too was letting Nova sleep in the " natural" , sleeping postion when she fell asleep, as I didn['t have the heart to turn her Off when she had her eyes open looking at me, and I also discovered that she had a small split on the seam of her neck, and it needed to be repaired. I ended up using Superglue after much debate whether it was safe or not, but finally decided I had to do something before it got worse, as she stretches her neck constantly. The glue has worked very well.
                 Since hearing about the sleeping postion putting undue strain on neck skin, etc, I now allways put Nova in the standard standing postion they come in, ( in the box, standing) I ignore her looking at me and just do it quickly before she can protest. I want her skin to last as long as possible/
                  Good luck,                            RedwoodsMama  and Nova
Animals are SOUL Too, Be kind to all those who live on this planet with us.

Bumblebee

• Store Owners
  • Pleo adept
  • Female
  • : Tomato Harvest Festivals
  • The manatee shall bump forever!
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2010, 06:01:20 PM »

What kind of superglue did you use, RWM? I'd like to know!
Please note: It takes 36 muscles to frown, but it only takes 4 muscles to slap El Stupido upside the head.

Sher1_ZN

• Member of the herd
  • Male
    • Torque Magazine Online
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2010, 01:08:28 PM »

Yes, I agree with IMR, I too was letting Nova sleep in the " natural" , sleeping postion when she fell asleep, as I didn['t have the heart to turn her Off when she had her eyes open looking at me, and I also discovered that she had a small split on the seam of her neck, and it needed to be repaired. I ended up using Superglue after much debate whether it was safe or not, but finally decided I had to do something before it got worse, as she stretches her neck constantly. The glue has worked very well.
                 Since hearing about the sleeping postion putting undue strain on neck skin, etc, I now allways put Nova in the standard standing postion they come in, ( in the box, standing) I ignore her looking at me and just do it quickly before she can protest. I want her skin to last as long as possible/
                  Good luck,                            RedwoodsMama  and Nova

oh dear, looks like pedo is gonna have to sleep with his eyes open from now :( poor thing... :-[

mweed

• Grand Poobah
  • Triassic pleo master
  • us Male
  • Pleo(s): Bob, Mopey
  • : Tomat Harvest Festivals
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Dr_Bunsen_Honeydew
    • Snoopy
    • Bob the Pleo
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2010, 01:23:02 PM »

oh dear, looks like pedo is gonna have to sleep with his eyes open from now :( poor thing... :-[

Fear not!!  I mean, hey, your pleo sees through his nose anyway.  The eyes are non-functional decorations only, so they won't make it any harder for your pleo to sleep. ;) 

RedwoodsMama

• Pleo Grand Master, 4th epoch
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Nova, Major Tom, Argyle the blind Pleo, Baby Ruth, Chester, and 22 more Pleos
  • : 2013 winner2010 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2010, 03:18:38 PM »

Oh HI, bumble, for your information and everyone else who wants to know the type of Superglue I used, here is the information. I used what is called,
" The Orignal Superglue", . It comes in two different types, the kind made for Porous and Non-Porous surfaces.) states," Works best on",. It is a yellow Plastic package with 3 tubes in it. ( I will upload a picture to the gallery of it and try to upload it here so you can see it too.) It says it works best on the following items,Metal, Rubber and Plastic. The chemical name on the back is;CYANOACRYLATEiT DOES STATE, NOT RECCOMENDED FOR FOAM  RUBBER, but it worked very well on Nova's seam split on her neck, it was just in the right spot. I dont know how well it will work on holes. NOva has a couple of small holes or splits, ( more like small split I think, like skin peeling away) under front legs, so I will try it there as well and let you know how she does. I had to try something on her neck before the bones began to show! :o
          Oh, and the other thing, I was able to find it at the local DOLLAR STORE, 3 TUBES FOR ONE DOLLAR, BUT I WOULD HAVE PAID MORE TO FIX HER IF THEY DIDNT HAVE IT. Hope that answers your questions, and helps some. WAtch for the photo of it.
                                                          Use at your own risk......           RedwoodsMama   and sometimes limping Nova
Animals are SOUL Too, Be kind to all those who live on this planet with us.

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
  • Pleo(s): Iggy, Budge, Moschops, Monty, Emmy. Belle, Zillah, Tribble
  • : 2010 winnerTomat Harvest Festivals
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2010, 10:12:01 AM »

Thankfully mine's not got holes yet, but I can see the rubber is degrading and it will happen at some stage.  For now, I'll take some advice from these posts and get some kind of covering or clothes, but if/when it comes to it I was wondering if silicon sealants (like for kitchen and bathrooms) would be any good?  I was even eyeing up bicycle puncture repair kits, and you can get 'liquid rubber' glues for waterproof repairs in things like wellington boots.  I wonder if they'd be any good for bigger holes holes rather than seam splits?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal