Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is Superglue safe for Pleos tears ( neck) and how to do it.?  (Read 5207 times)

RedwoodsMama

• Pleo Grand Master, 4th epoch
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Nova, Major Tom, Argyle the blind Pleo, Baby Ruth, Chester, and 22 more Pleos
  • : 2013 winner2010 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
Is Superglue safe for Pleos tears ( neck) and how to do it.?
« on: March 01, 2010, 05:30:29 PM »

I have read in the archives about different people using Superglue to fix their Pleos tears and holes, neck ,etc. Some one said it was the wrong kind of Superglue and they had negative results with skin getting worse, others using a rubberband and superglue. My pleo's tear is on the bottom of the neck at the seam, not real big but of course everytime she stretches it gets worse over time.

I am not very smart and technical stuff is not easy for me but I think I can handle Superglueing her if someone will tell me the specifics on which type is safe, do use or not a rubberband and where to place the rubberband, and how long does the glue have to set before using Pleo?
                  I am sorry if this topic has been covered before, but I have only been here a couple of months and this is new to me. I want to protect her as much as possible. Also anyone have any idea how to keep Cat hair off their Pleo?( I have 9 cats and 1 large hairy dog, and yes I do vacuum everyday, ) but hair tends to stick on Pleo's tail esp, and sometimes her nose! >:( I would appreciate any suggestions on how to fix her neck before it gets bad.
                                                                    Thank you, RedwoodsMama and sad little Pleo ( Nova ) :( Oh, and she is a Ugobe Model.

Animals are SOUL Too, Be kind to all those who live on this planet with us.

fancyfont

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Peeky, Pennie, JayCamerasaurus (J.C.), LOA, baby and DinhaJo
  • : 2013 winner2011 winner2008 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • No, Peeky and Pennie, you can't have the Harley!
Re: Is Superglue safe for Pleos tears ( neck) and how to do it.?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 06:57:07 PM »

I have heard of some good results with flexible superglue. Just make sure it is flexible.
Having the tear in a seam is so much better then a hole. I'm not sure about a rubber band. I would just hold it together, very carefully, until it is set. I would recommend very good lighting when doing this.
As far as Nova's tail collecting cat and dog hair, I would put her tail to work and let her do the cleaning. Just wrap a dust rag around her tail and, walla, a job you won't  have to do! ;D

RedwoodsMama

• us Female
  • Pleo(s): Nova, Major Tom, Argyle the blind Pleo, Baby Ruth, Chester, and 22 more Pleos
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 07:59:23 PM »

HI Fancy, thanks for the advice. Is the glue called " flexible Superglue/./' I looked at some at the grocery store this evening, and it said not for plastics, foam and some types of rubber, that is why I am worried about getting the right kind. Of course Nova was never registered but bought by someone else over a year ago, so there is no warranty. At this point, I would not trade her in anyway, it is like trading in one of your kids for a newer model. I know with the problems you have with Peeky, etc, you understand loving your babes with all their " special qualities" .
                  As for tying a rag to Nova's tail and letting her do the dusting, I like that, but I know as a former teacher, that may qualify or come under the heading of " child abuse, or extreme neglect! >:(( Just kidding if anyone thinks I am serious, but yes I taught little ones for over 14 years till my back gave out, and my employer said hit the road! :(  I wish there was a way to " clean Pleo skin" without using water and chemicals that would remove hair. Pleo's skin acts like a magnet in my house.
                      I am glad I won't have to use a rubberband, I hope I can find the right kind of superglue as there used to be only 1 brand, now there are Lots of Superglues out there which is confusing to me. Thanks for your advice, Nova thanks you too, she doesn't want her neck to get any more " airconditioning"!                       RedwoodsMama  and Airy Nova :(

fancyfont

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Peeky, Pennie, JayCamerasaurus (J.C.), LOA, baby and DinhaJo
  • : 2013 winner2011 winner2008 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • No, Peeky and Pennie, you can't have the Harley!
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 08:17:28 PM »

THe best way of protecting pleos skin is with some clothing. Are you a sewer? Next solution is to take a little ball of tape and dab it lightly to Nova's skin, as not to have it stick and pull of paint, and collect the hair from her.

I would talk to Mweed about the glue before you purchase it. I believe he used one that said cyanoacrylate Peeky really needs to have some patches. GLue wouldn't help with the way his holes are. Luckily, ;) he doesn't seem to mind them!

bbrox513

• Hatchling
  • Female
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2010, 07:56:58 PM »

you can try mighty mend it! if you have seen the infomercials! thts what i used and its really flexible and holding up!

RedwoodsMama

• us Female
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2010, 07:26:06 PM »

Hi fancy, and everyone else who responded to my questions about safe to use Superglue. I finally bought some and it is the kind to use for rubber, so I gave it a try, I was lucky because it is right on Nova's neck seam where it is bent and stretched to the up most. ;D It seems to be holding with no problems, She also has two very small areas under the left and right rear legs and I am not sure what to do about them as they are not on a seam. For the mostpart Nova wears clothes and it is protecting her skin, plus she has her own look.Actually, I don't sew very well, but have been able to find some cute outfits for her with a little luck and inexpensive too.
bbrox513, thanks for your answer, but what is Mightymend, I have never heard of it before? I would like to find out more about it. Is it something advertised on T.V.?              If Nova's neck doesn't hold, I think I would find something giving way within the next week, as it has been about 3 days since I " mended" her neck.

Sincere thanks to all who read and answered,    RedwoodsMama   and semi-limping, Nova ;D

Bumblebee

• Store Owners
  • Pleo adept
  • Female
  • : Tomato Harvest Festivals
  • The manatee shall bump forever!
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2010, 07:35:29 PM »

Smart idea posting this, RWM. I was wondering about this not long ago, as I've jsut discovered two in macon: one pinprick and one on his back that's halfway through his skin - it'll rip any minute, and it'll be disturbingly big!  :o
Mighty Mend it, huh? *Writes down*
Please note: It takes 36 muscles to frown, but it only takes 4 muscles to slap El Stupido upside the head.

PleoLuv

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2010, 07:41:03 PM »

Poor guy!!! ??? :o :( Hopefully you can fix'em!

RedwoodsMama

• us Female
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2010, 12:55:31 AM »

Hi Bumblebee, sorry to hear about Macon, I am glad you found this post too. You know they keep talking about " new and improved Pleos" . Well for my two cents worth, if I could have just one improvement on the new Pleos, it wouldn't be memory or mechanics, but much better longer lasting SKIN!
If poor Pleo has skin that is falling apart at the seams, and holes all over the place, what kind of " deal ", is that???????? Pleo is such a marvelous little life form, and so real to so many people that aside from the robot technology, think of this guy as a " alternative Pet," you think they could come up with a skin that is longer lasting and more durable! :(
           I have heard some sad stories of people getting brand New Pleos in the box, that already have Hole's or split seams in them, that makes NO SENSE AT ALL TO ME! That is like buying a car with Paint coming off, or the upholstery falling apart. If you are going to spend all that money designing this Pleo, take the time to make it right! I love the way Pleo " feels", but it is very upsetting to see his paint rubbing off, and appalling to see his seams split and holes making their presence. We can cover their body with clothes, but it would be nice to have a Pleo in the natural state that you weren't' afraid to touch for fear of his skin falling off. >:(
              Superglue so far is working for Nova on her seam at the neck, but Holes are more difficult I think, and trickier. I am going to check this MightyMend out too, It would be nice to hear from someone that has used it on Pleo and can tell us where they got it also. Hope Macon gets his holes fixed before they get bigger. Take care and tell Macon Nova sends her love for a speedy recovery! :kiss:(1 for you, 1 for Macon.) :hug:            RedwoodsMama  and Nova

Ashaw582

• Outstanding in the herd
  • Female
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2010, 10:08:44 PM »

I just got my brand new, never used pleo today and it has a split on the tail & a tiny one near the eye!

RedwoodsMama

• us Female
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2010, 12:52:24 AM »

Hi ,  :(sorry to hear about your Pleo, first I would ask two questions, you said Brand New never used Pleo. Next I would ask, where did you get this " brand New Never used Pleo", If it was from Innova, direct from PleoWorld, then make a copy of your receipt because you have a guarantee, something like 90 days and it is up to them to replace it. If you got it," brand New Never used ", off of an auction site like Ebay, then you have other problems, First, does the Seller take Returns, ? Did they advertise it as " Brand New, Excellent condition? Esp if it says, Never Used", Then you have two re courses,
       1. Contact the seller Immediately and tell the seller the condition of the PLEO.   Make sure to take Photos from several angles NOW , the longer you wait, the worse and less chance of getting the Pleo Sale fixed. If it is the Seller and from ebay you do have several options, Even if the seller says, NO RETURNS, but advertised the pleo as New Never Used or in Excellent condition, then you have two options that I can see. Either get the Pleo Returned and get a full refund, minus shipping cost in most cases, and if you return it make sure you put insurance on it in the amount you paid so when the seller gets it, they can't say it was damaged and try to get you to pay for it. also make sure you have tracking or delivery confirmation and they can't say, they never received the package or it was stolen. If they say they won't refund your money, then your next step is to tell them that you will file a Customer Dispute or Item Disute, ( NO seller wants a dispute, I know because I have been selling and buying on ebay since  :D2004) Ebay will protect the buyer and also you can tell the seller if he does not refund your money you will also file a negative feedback, no seller wants negative feedback, too many and they lose the option to sell. :( If you do not care about returning it and getting a refund, or you can also ask the seller if he will give you a discount because of the tear,for example , if it cost you $200.00 Plus shipping, ask for a 25% discount from the selling price which is $50.00 off, then you can repair it yourself, but do not tell the seller you will repair it yourself, just say you would consider keeping it if they give you a discount and see what they say. ( it is up to you, but remember there are lots of new unopened Pleos on ebay this time of year, you may have to pay the same, more or maybe less...you can't tell for sure.)
 If you want to repair it if you keep it, there is a superglue you can use, It is made esp for Rubber so only get the kind that says, for rubber on it, you have to use at your own risk, I have used myself on my pleos and if you watch a video I posted here on the forums, the video shows myself repairing a tear on a neck on a Pleo I got on ebay. The Post is called, ( How to repair or How to Tape a Pleo Neck." It is in 3 parts and also posted on Youtube. You have several options and it is up to you what to do, but if you bought it from a person on ebay and they listed it as New, make sure you get some sort of compensation. Take Photos and do not do any alterations or repairs if you want to return it or get some money refunded, wait untill you get either money back  or find out if you have to file a dispute claim. Be very careful and do not use very much glue either, remember, use at your own risk.

Good luck,  :) and let us know what happens. In the future, do not ever just take a seller's word for it when they say new condition: I ask for details like if there are any small holes, tears, or splits on the seams, some can be missed if not looking for them . I also ask about the paint loss, chipped teeth, etc. A lot of sellers also use " STOCK PHOYOS". i ALLWAYS ASK FOR ACTUAL PHOTOS, NOT STOCK PHOTOS, THE ACTUAL ITEM. iF THE SELLER IS TOO LAZY TO PROVIDE ACTUAL PHOTOS OF THE REAL ITEM, THEN THEY ARE EITHER TOO LAZY OR TRYING TO HIDE  SOMETHING, AND i WILL LOOK ELSEWHERE, AND THID APPLIES TO EVERYTHING ON EBAY, NOT JUST pLEOS! ;)

RedwoodsMama mom of 6 Pleos pLEOS!

Jules

• Fossil hunter
  • Female
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2010, 02:58:53 AM »

I had two small holes on my Pleo, just under one of his back legs.
I used "LOCTITE SUPER GLUE ULTRA GEL CONTROL NON-DRIP" got it from ebay. it worked a treat and it is a little flexable so no cracking yet.
I was worried about what type of glue to use but I just got one that was flexable and esy to use.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal