Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: 1 ... 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Common battery problems and possible solutions! Green Ugobe batteries only!  (Read 67039 times)

aibomick

• Cycad leaf fancier
  • gb Male
Re: Common battery problems and possible solutions! Green Ugobe batteries only!
« Reply #100 on: January 09, 2022, 09:51:19 AM »

Hey everyone ..............   I've been creating a new type of LiPo battery - rather than re post the whole thing here - please have a look here and ask any questions if you'd like to replicate it or have a go yourself - let's keep the forum alive - like our Pleos! 

https://robotrepairer.wixsite.com/lotsofbots/forum/toy-robots/pleo-new-battery-type-lipo

pnhicks

« Reply #101 on: January 09, 2022, 10:22:44 AM »

Hi aibomick!

Looks like a good idea!  Might want to look at adding some "fuseable links" that melt out in case of over current draw during use.

Cheers!

Peter

aibomick

• Cycad leaf fancier
  • gb Male
« Reply #102 on: January 11, 2022, 07:55:26 AM »

Hi Peter - well I posted on the Pleo FB page and got the Moderators involved due to all the outcry about 'cheap Chinese Lipos'   :o

I responded politely and accordingly to all post'ers ..... but ... wow... what a response!

Anyhow - Adam Elphick was rational and polite as usual so that calmed things down a bit......

All I wanted was to inspire a little bit and keep the Pleo community 'active'!

As regards fusible links .... mm ..... well I think once I put the thermistor back in circuit it should at least make Pleo sleep if they overheat.  I haven't done a full run with them in yet. I'm charging them up slowly and cautiously..... and so far they're cold.... and up to 8.3v.

I have some slight concern this will be too much for poor Pleo - more caution!

BTW I lived in Spain for 15 years up to 2 and a bit years ago - came back not knowing both Covid and Brexit was about to hit   ;D
« Last Edit: January 11, 2022, 08:14:22 AM by aibomick »

pnhicks

« Reply #103 on: January 14, 2022, 07:28:35 AM »

Hi aibomick,

As far as I know, which isn't much, there is no connection between the Facebook page and this forum (other than some crossover membership).

I also have never received any request from you to upload anything, so I don't understand your complaint about "sleeping moderators"?

I have also never posted any negative comments about Chinese lipo batteries, if fact, I have bought some. I may have posted, back in the day, some negative comments about inflated capacity ratings of Chinese NiMH batteries sold on the internet as a caution to the unwary.

As to what happens on FB, I have no idea.

The original Ugobe battery had fuseable links to protect the pack against a dead short, see: Battery Strap PolySwitch Resettable PTCs - Littelfuse

As far as the 8.3 volts, output, this is normal for a fully charged battery right off the charger!  It has a "nominal voltage" of 7.4 volts, meaning an average usable voltage.  The 8.3 will almost instantly drop down to 7.8 or so and then progressively lower as the battery discharges, but it will maintain 7.4 volts for at least 80% of its capacity. At about 7.2 the low voltage detection software should shutdown Pleo.  For further safety, the input voltage from the battery is fed into a voltage regulator to ensure that harmful voltages don't reach Pleo voltage sensitive components. 

Cheers!

Peter
« Last Edit: January 14, 2022, 11:06:57 AM by pnhicks »

aibomick

• Cycad leaf fancier
  • gb Male
« Reply #104 on: January 17, 2022, 04:33:51 AM »

Hi again Peter - well hopefully we've got the Uploading/Downloading/Sleeping moderators issue out of the way  :D - I suppose really with regards to FB - I'm trying to draw some interest from there over to here - this is such an amazing resource (I'm finding new things every day) it would be a tragedy for it to die - A long time ago there was a forum for UMPCs (Ultra Mobile PCs - which I collect, rebuild, repair and even sometimes sell) One day it just went offline never to return - I was green enough to think this could never happen - it was waaay too huge for even the Wayback machine etc to contain it - this forum is waaaay over 2Gb - I know.

As much as I already know - and I'm learning all the time (I'm 67 and retired but busy) - I had wondered what the odd link on the bottom of the standard packs was - so thanks for the heads up. I did try to transfer 'one' to my new pack but the pack wouldn't charge properly - even on my new set up. I replaced it with a solid link and it was OK again. So I guess they don't like to be moved....  ^-^

I have left the pouch battery 'heads' on - I would probably have stripped them off to bare pouches - but they charge and discharge OK with them intact - this will automatically give them over-charge and over-discharge protection - built in.

Are you in Zaragoza permanently? As in resident there? Stayed over once on the way to the ferry terminal - nice.

Regards,  Mick

pnhicks

« Reply #105 on: January 17, 2022, 05:00:53 AM »

Hi Mick,

Glad to be of help!  Will pm you on the rest!

Cheers,

Peter
Pages: 1 ... 4 [5]   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal