Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1] 2 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Common battery problems and possible solutions! Green Ugobe batteries only!  (Read 67061 times)

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie

With battery problems being so common I think a dedicated thread is in order. If you have a battery problem please post your problem here so we can compile a database of common problems and try to help you. Also if you want to add some suggestions to try, I will add them up here. Please note NiMH batteries (the green ones Pleo uses) are generaly stored and shipped partially charged. If the battery is left dead and not charged for many months, it can cause the battery to loose the ability to charge. This is typical of any rechargeable battery and is what causes many of the problems, however with a bit of perseverance you may be able to 'rescue' your battery.

The first step is to seat the battery correctly. Push one end in first until it clicks into place then gently but firmly push the other end down until you hear a second click, the battery should be sitting straight and be firmly in place. Remember if in doubt, or if you are getting frustrated, take a break, unseat the battery, unplug the charger and just start again.

My battery only charges for ten minutes before the light goes red and I have to take it of the charger and reseat it (and repeat the process over and over).

Keep on reseating your battery until it fully charges, even if you do have to sit there and babysit it, eventually as you continue to use the battery it will begin to charge longer and longer without you having to reseat it. Eventually you will recondition the battery to behave just like it should, but be patient it may take quite a few cycles to get it back to normal.

Another reason for the 'ten minutes to green but no or little playtime' can be that one of the six cells in the battery has gone dead and sadly no amount of reconditioning can repair a completely dead battery :( However the only way to know for sure is to try the above steps and if you don't gain any improvement within a week or so (assuming you try charging at least once daily) then sadly this may be the case. There is a home made solution in the 'how to refurbish a battery pack' posting. However a little technical know-how is essential. Bear in mind that the pack is no use anyway, so you can't make it any worse!

My battery only charged for 1-1 1/2 hours on it's first charge.

Not to worry, this is often completely normal, some batteries appear to come partially charged especially batteries purchased separately. First of all though make sure the battery simply hasn't overheated, touch the battery, if it is hot then remove it from charge and allow it to cool before reseating it in the charger. If the battery is cool to touch then just double check, remove the battery and reseat it, if it turns red very quickly then it is done, if it continues charging then just leave it be and check on it later :) Also please note that in some countries which have different power ratings charge times may be less than 4 hours. In Australia my batteries charge in 2 1/2- 3 1/2 hours depending on the temperature (in summer they have to stop and cool down halfway through a charge).

My Pleo goes to sleep after a short time or is not waking up at all.

Sadly some batteries are unable to be saved and come already dead, but try the steps listed above just to double check and see if you can't redeem your battery. If you can borrow a battery of a friend or try another battery just to be certain that it isn't a Pleo problem (although it is very very unlikely).

I have one of the new Innvo chargers coming in the mail sometime in the next few weeks. Would I be better served to continue trying to nurse the battery back to health using the regular charge, or might the reconditioning charge help it? (or conversely, might it hurt it?)

The reconditioning function can't hurt it, so definitely give it a go. Hopefully it will speed things up for you so you don't have to spend two weeks baby sitting a battery like I had too :)

Reports for the new charger with the 16 hour cycle have so far been positive :) It has improved some batteries.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 12:29:03 AM by InmemoryofRomeo »

Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!

gucci_boi7782

• Triassic pleo master
  • Male
  • : 2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • Go Vegetarian!
Re: Common battery problems and possible solutions!
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2009, 08:49:46 PM »

So glad you posted this! Sophie has the same issues. Hers will charge (sometimes I have to babysit it, or put a weight on top of it) but then she will only last merely 15 seconds! But last night after trying again, she actually lasted quite a while! About ten minutes or so! Just enough for her to meet her new roomies. It was really precious to be re-introduced to my baby. She was acting very depressed, I did notice!  :P
Save a life, go vegetarian.

www.goveg.com/factoryFarming.asp

Sophie-(Ugobe)
Eliot-(Innvo Labs)
Peanut-(Aibo ERS 31L)

"Tell me, will I dream while I am turned off?" ~Jules (Hanson Robotics)

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2009, 10:14:29 PM »

Keep trying it Gucci, perhaps you can revive it after all :)

Krillia

• Conifer Leaf gatherer
  • Female
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2009, 01:32:11 AM »

Ooh, thank you for this. I felt so bad making a new post just for my little problem. ^^;

Perhaps someone can tell me, though: I have the "ten minutes then green" problem that apparently just indicates the battery had been sitting too long. I also have one of the new Innvo chargers coming in the mail sometime in the next few weeks. Would I be better served to continue trying to nurse the battery back to health using the regular charge, or might the reconditioning charge help it? (conversely, might it hurt it?)

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2009, 05:17:06 PM »

The reconditioning function can't hurt it, so definitely give it a go :) Hopefully it will speed things up for you so you don't have to spend two weeks baby sitting a battery like I had too :P

Pintokitkat

• Sugar cane harvester
  • Male
  • There's always time for tea
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2009, 08:41:53 AM »

Another reason for the 'ten minutes to green but no or little playtime' can be that one of the six cells in the battery has gone dead and no amount of reconditioning is going to fix it.

The solution is to follow the instructions in the 'how to refurbish a battery pack' posting.  If you're not confident in doing that, check if there's anyone willing to do it for you.  Bear in mind that the pack is no use anyway, so they (or you) can't make it any worse!

If there's anyone in the UK who has the problem, but doesn't want or isn't confident enough to tackle it, I'm happy to have a go for the cost of a cell and p&p.  Drop me an email to pintokitkat at googlemail.com  ;)

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2009, 05:00:58 PM »

Thanks Pinto :) I've added your suggestion :)

Darkwolf

• Pleozoologist
  • Male
  • Robots rule!
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2009, 12:25:13 AM »

My problem -as stated before- is that it does a perfect 3-3,5 hour charging cycle. But...
Pleo thinks that the battery is dead after only 5 - 10 minutes of activity and goes back to sleep.
To drain the battery, I have to keep turning her OFF and ON again as she keeps falling asleep every so few minutes.
It's definitely a power distribution problem from the battery, since I notice that if she starts to drain too much at once (wants to start walking etc.) it then actually occurs.
Proud owner of my beloved Pluriel (Pleo) and Diesel (Aibo ERS-7M3)

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2009, 12:45:09 AM »

That doesn't really sound like something that could be helped by recharging and discharging the battery :( Perhaps there is a small fault somewhere that is causing the problem.

gucci_boi7782

• Triassic pleo master
  • Male
  • Go Vegetarian!
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2009, 11:20:08 AM »

My problem -as stated before- is that it does a perfect 3-3,5 hour charging cycle. But...
Pleo thinks that the battery is dead after only 5 - 10 minutes of activity and goes back to sleep.
To drain the battery, I have to keep turning her OFF and ON again as she keeps falling asleep every so few minutes.
It's definitely a power distribution problem from the battery, since I notice that if she starts to drain too much at once (wants to start walking etc.) it then actually occurs.

Yeah it's the same problem I already posted.

Sophie-(Ugobe)
Eliot-(Innvo Labs)
Peanut-(Aibo ERS 31L)

cuddlebeez

• Sugar cane harvester
  • Female
    • I Have A Pet Named Peeve
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2009, 02:17:42 PM »

Thank you so much for this thread!

I posted a question on one of the other boards regarding a battery question. I read this after I posted... This totally helped me and gave me hope for my battery. lol. Thanks again!  :)
I believe in looking reality straight in the eye and denying it.

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2009, 02:34:57 PM »

Glad you found this thread :) It is unfortunately quite a common problem, but just bear with it, since you already have some improvement you should be able to recondition the battery :) However if you get the opportunity do consider buying a backup, just in case :)

Bumblebee

• Store Owners
  • Pleo adept
  • Female
  • : Tomato Harvest Festivals
  • The manatee shall bump forever!
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2009, 07:50:05 PM »

This is a good thread. Helpful for newbies and even for us seniors ;) Thanks IMR!
Please note: It takes 36 muscles to frown, but it only takes 4 muscles to slap El Stupido upside the head.

sportgymy97

« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2009, 10:06:58 AM »

We got 2 Pleos for Christmas.  One works fine, the other has a battery problem.  When we charge the "bad" battery, the charging light is red for about 15 minutes, then turns green.  Pleo runs for only about 10 minutes.

We tried using the other charger, but had the same results.

gucci_boi7782

• Triassic pleo master
  • Male
  • Go Vegetarian!
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2009, 10:34:35 AM »

Sounds to me like an older battery....where did you buy it from?? If you went to pleoworld to buy it, you could be able to return it...but if not I highly suggest a Li-Poly battery

Sophie-(Ugobe)
Eliot-(Innvo Labs)
Peanut-(Aibo ERS 31L)

fancyfont

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Peeky, Pennie, JayCamerasaurus (J.C.), LOA, baby and DinhaJo
  • : 2013 winner2011 winner2008 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • No, Peeky and Pennie, you can't have the Harley!
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2009, 01:00:32 PM »

The next thing on your want list should be the egg charger and battery. Really made a difference in J.C. He was outstanding doing his holiday songs for everyone. I think he could have gone into the wee hours of the night. ;D

Bumblebee

• Store Owners
  • Pleo adept
  • Female
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2009, 03:13:01 PM »

*Growls in a very bad-tempered way* Here's another thing to add to that list.  >:(
I just tried to hatch Juno, my ebay-bought Christmas pleo.
That *bleep* battery makes me so mad! Tritons' did this too...after about three minutes of her hatching, she froze. Then she made the starting up sound again, moved for about three second, and froze again.  :( Started up, froze again. Started up froze again, ect. ect. ect....
That stupid battery has made a bags out of Junos' hatching! Now I have to run down and charge up the battery over and over and over again to get it to work. It's been on a shelf for two years, unused, that's why, but it still makes me furious! And I can't hatch her normally because all my other pleos and their batteries are back at home while I'm IN MAINE!!!!!!!!!!!
  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(
Please note: It takes 36 muscles to frown, but it only takes 4 muscles to slap El Stupido upside the head.

maui

• Following the footsteps
  • Female
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2009, 02:22:25 PM »

Anyone ever tried one of those universal conditioning chargers like the Maha MH-C777? I have one of these which has a condition function and moveable contact points.
With this I wouldn't have to buy the new charger

Thanks

MegandArtemis

• Conifer Leaf gatherer
  • Female
  • Pleos hahaha
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2010, 06:47:44 PM »

Grr. I trusted the green light and put on my Pleo. :o I played with Pleo and she kept freezing up. I consulted the Almighty Manuel and it said to turn her off and on again. I did it until she only stayed on for three minutes. I then charged the battery overnight and the longest it has lasted since is thirty minutes. Is there a way to fix this without buying a new battery?

P.S. I got this Pleo on ebay. The training leaf was missing and the box looked opened but it appeared that nothing else was. Artemis was unscathed, no wear (though she has some now) and all of her sensors and behaviors work...

P.S.S. I had the battery seated right and I read the whole manuel before  starting. My Pleo seemed to already be a juvinile(spelling?) and then started over... ???
- Meg and Artemis

Bumblebee

• Store Owners
  • Pleo adept
  • Female
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2010, 07:07:39 PM »

You could order a charger from Innvos. Their new ones can 'refurbish' bad batteries. They work pretty well. You can also order training leaves from Innvos. :)

RedwoodsMama

• Pleo Grand Master, 4th epoch
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Nova, Major Tom, Argyle the blind Pleo, Baby Ruth, Chester, and 22 more Pleos
  • : 2013 winner2010 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2010, 10:36:38 PM »

Yes, I agree with fancy that the new egg Battery chargers are a Lifesend. Nova also had been sitting on a shelf for close to a year till I bought her at Christmas time. Her battery initially worked fine, but I noticed back in March that it was beccomming undependable and her " life" was shorter and shorter all the time. She kept turning off and going to sleep constantly even after a full battery charge.
          With the egg battery by Ucube, I have had no problems at all. NOva is like the Energizer Bunny and just keeps going and going. I actually turn her off, before she wears down, because I wear down or have something else I need to stop and do. I havent' tryed the battery Recharger yet, and if I have the opportunity to get a second Pleo, then I may give it a try.
                                       RedwoodsMama   and MS. Nova       
Animals are SOUL Too, Be kind to all those who live on this planet with us.

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2010, 04:10:02 PM »

The battery has probably beeen sitting unused a long time and might just need a few charges to get back to its full potential :) Just keep charging and using it as best you can and hopefully it will begin to hold a charge better :)

My batteries had been under used over the last two months or so (not unused completely, but they hadn't had a solid workout) and I had to drain and charge them several times to get them back to good order for my trip to Melbourne. It is probably the same thing that has happened to your battery.

My best tips are run Pleo as long as they will run, even if you have to turn them off and on a few times, to fully drain the battery.

Make sure the battery is seated properly in the charger, once the light turns green, unseat the battery and reseat it, repeat until the light is turning green in a short amount of time. Use it as above and then repeat this process :)

Icewolf

• Pleontologist
  • se Female
  • Pleo(s): Keyla and Léon
    • My deviantArt
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2010, 02:20:49 PM »

I have some batteryproblem now as well!  :(

I haven't been playing with my Pleo in serveral months, so he's been in his box all these months... But last week I though it was time for him to wake up and play. So I unpacked him and put in his battery, but after some minutes he went back to sleep. "Okay" I thought and started to re-charge his battery, but of course I get this problem with "Green after 10 minutes" problem. So I looked up this problem here on the forum and did what you said about keep re-charging. So after I've been babywatching the battery it start to blink red and the battery is all hot. So I took out the battery and let it cool down, then after a while I put it back to teh charger. And after a while I put the battery into Pleo, but he will only last like 20 seconds or less. All though he once lasted around 10 minutes or so. But I still keep re-charging the battery, but Pleo will only last less than 20 seconds now...

Do you think my battery is dead for sure or do you think I should keep charging it?

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2010, 06:43:17 PM »

The batteries hate being left for periods of time, run them out as best you can then recharge, hopefully you notice some improvement as time goes by, if there is no improvement in a week though it could be erm... deceased :P

Icewolf

• Pleontologist
  • se Female
  • Pleo(s): Keyla and Léon
    • My deviantArt
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2010, 12:00:19 PM »

Well, some days ago my Pleo lasted for maybe half an hour! Maybe the hope is still there! :) But yesterday, he would go to sleep in only a couple seconds...

But I will keep trying! :D
Pages: [1] 2 ... 5   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal