Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: battery charges in 10-minute increments  (Read 2574 times)

Krillia

• Conifer Leaf gatherer
  • Female
battery charges in 10-minute increments
« on: November 07, 2009, 03:54:20 AM »

Hey. I've checked the other battery threads, and they seem to all be different problems from the one I'm having.

Basically, my pleo arrived three days ago. Figuring I was already in for the huge investment, I decided to make it a bit larger at the time, and buy a second battery. Man, am I glad I did. The one that came with him apparently has problems, and given that I was in love with my little Satan within moments of turning him on, I would have been disappointed in so many levels if I'd only had the one.

I suppose I should explain. I'm in Japan and the pleos they sell here are still packaged in Ugobe boxes, and the battery packaged with him isn't stamped with the Innvo mark (as it seems they are in America now). The spare is Innvo.

My battery problem is this: The battery holds charge fine, but getting it charged is difficult. When I put it in the cradle, the light switches to green after about 5-10 minutes. If I take the battery out and put it back in, it will return to red and charge another 10 minutes, then once again switch to green. Rinse. Repeat. The battery doesn't seem to be over-heating, at the best luke-warm to the touch and often still cold. Now, if I keep taking the battery out and putting it back in every time the light turns green, it will charge "fine" and I'll be able to get an hour+ of playtime with Satan out of it, same as the spare. If I just leave it in after it has green, it doesn't charge any more and I'm left with an all but dead battery. Looking at other battery threads, this would make sense since apparently a green light means charging has physically stopped.

I'd think this was a problem with the charger and not the battery, if my spare didn't charge completely normally, staying red for about three hours and charging the pack fully before turning green.

Any thoughts on what I can do to convince this battery to charge correctly? I don't have much of a life, but I have more than enough of one that sitting next to my charger reseating my pleo battery every 10 minutes is a bit of a bother.

OzPleo

• Apprentice pleo master
  • Male
    • Ventriloquist - Ben and MJ
Re: battery charges in 10-minute increments
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2009, 04:38:21 AM »

The battery that came with my new Pleo won't charge all the way either. I've purchased a new charger from Innova as it has a switch to discharge the battery and recharge it again. It hasn't arrived here yet, but I hope that'll do the trick.

Echo

• Pleo explorer
  • Male
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2009, 06:50:07 AM »

Welcome Krillia and Satan! 

Sorry to hear you are having trouble with your battery. You have a few options. New NiMH batteries that have been inactive for a while get better the more you use them. So, you can keep doing what you are doing and it should improve. A better way is what OzPleo is suggesting which is to purchase the Innvo Charger from pleoworld.com because it will recondition your battery so it should charger like a normal battery.  Of course, I can not guarantee the Innvo Charger will work for you,  but it did work for me on my old battery.    Another option for you is to buy a Li-Poly battery for your Pleo and Egg charger set which will give you over 2 hours of battery time for each charge.  They are sold by Ucube Taiwan. See the talk about them under pleo hardware, Li-Poly battery if you are interested.

Krillia

• Conifer Leaf gatherer
  • Female
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2009, 07:12:31 AM »

I ordered a second charger from Innvo almost as soon as I got the boy and realized just how much fun he was. Even if I wasn't having problems with the first battery, I want to have on always ready to go, and both charging during the day (assuming the first sorts out). I'll do the reconditioning with that one, but was wondering if maybe there was something I was missing. ^_^

But, yeah. Since the battery/box both only have Ugobe markings and no sign of Innvo anywhere on them, the logical conclusion seems to be that the battery has been sitting for a while. Although maybe the Japanese distributor didn't get the memo, not sure.

Thanks to both you and Ozpleo. It's highly appreciated.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal