Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Battery charged in 1.5 hours??  (Read 4070 times)

OzPleo

• Apprentice pleo master
  • Male
    • Ventriloquist - Ben and MJ
Battery charged in 1.5 hours??
« on: November 06, 2009, 12:59:23 AM »

Just received my new Pleo and plugged the battery into the charger. It was red when it started of course, but within 1.5 hours it's turned green. I still have it charging because the instructions say 3 hours charging required. Do you think this is normal?

Darkwolf

• Pleozoologist
  • Male
  • Robots rule!
Re: Battery charged in 1.5 hours??
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2009, 01:02:00 AM »

Seems kinda odd to me.
Try to put it back in the charger again and see for how long it keeps charging.
When it turns green again, it should be fine to put it in your Pleo and start playing.
Done is done I suppose!  ;D
Proud owner of my beloved Pluriel (Pleo) and Diesel (Aibo ERS-7M3)

OzPleo

• Apprentice pleo master
  • Male
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2009, 02:27:00 AM »

Well poo!  :( I left the battery charging with the green light on for 3 hours and turned my Pleo on for the first time, he lasted about 20 seconds before freezing. I switched him off and on again to no avail. So I put the battery back onto the charger, which of course is glowing red again. I'll charge it until it goes green again to see what happens.

Will keep you posted.

Echo

• Pleo explorer
  • Male
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2009, 04:02:23 AM »

Primary causes of premature failure of NiMH rechargeable batteries are overheating or overcharging.  Since the green light in the charger means that the battery was at full charge and you left it there for another 3 hours, you may have caused your battery to fail. 

degers

• Administrator
  • Pleo adept
  • gb Male
  • Degers can't be choosers
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2009, 05:05:28 AM »

Green light on the charger means charging has been stopped.  You may leave it on green light for as long as you wish.
Sometimes the first charge only takes 1.5 hours, and for some reason the charger goes green, in this case, re-seat the battery on the charger and it will charge again for the full time.

Degers

OzPleo

• Apprentice pleo master
  • Male
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2009, 05:18:31 AM »

Green light on the charger means charging has been stopped.  You may leave it on green light for as long as you wish.
Sometimes the first charge only takes 1.5 hours, and for some reason the charger goes green, in this case, re-seat the battery on the charger and it will charge again for the full time.

Degers

Actually I tried that, but it was only another 5 minutes before it went green again.

So here's the thing. I have 3 batteries. All charged in about 1.5 hours. One lasted about 1 hour, the other two about 10 minutes. Do have two duds or a dud charger or a dud Pleo?

grumpy

• Administrator
  • Pleosmith
  • we Male
  • : 2008 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Skipper
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Statler
    • Lucy
    • Bob the Pleo
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2009, 09:16:15 AM »

The batteries may have been sitting on the shelf for a while.  So you should see them taking longer to charge each time, and you should get more play time after each charge.  It may take 4 or 5 charges to get them going good.  Also, when you get the new charger, you may want to run them through that deep charging (16hr) cycle.

fancyfont

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Peeky, Pennie, JayCamerasaurus (J.C.), LOA, baby and DinhaJo
  • : 2013 winner2011 winner2008 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • No, Peeky and Pennie, you can't have the Harley!
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2009, 10:13:56 AM »

THe fact that your pleo will turn on for a couple of seconds seem like NOT  a pleo problem. Have you tried replugging adaptor into a different power source . I believe IMR had that problem originally She should be back on line any day. she's been off due to her moving.

Echo

• Pleo explorer
  • Male
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2009, 12:28:30 PM »

So here's the thing. I have 3 batteries. All charged in about 1.5 hours. One lasted about 1 hour, the other two about 10 minutes. Do have two duds or a dud charger or a dud Pleo?

Sounds like your Pleo is fine if it worked fine for about an hour.  I have one NiMH charger that chargers in about 2 hours and runs the batteries a bit hot.  It is the charger that is weird, but since when I take the battery out, when the green light comes on in about 2 hours, I get an hour of active pleo moving around, I'm ok with that.  The real question for you is how much battery life do you get as you continue to use the charger and use the batteries over the next several cycles?  

Listen to what grumpy and mweed are saying about since you batteries have been sitting on a shelf for a while, they will have to go through multiple charging cycles to "get them going good".  
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 12:33:01 PM by Echo »

OzPleo

• Apprentice pleo master
  • Male
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2009, 06:10:07 PM »

Okay so here's the story...

Battery 1 = the battery that came with Pleo
Battery 2 & 3 = the spares we bought

Battery 1 charges, but only lasts for about 10 minutes. Batteries 2 & 3 are now charging for 3 hours each and last for around 1.5 hours each. So I have ordered the new charger from Innova yesterday and when it arrives I'll discharge battery 1 and recharge it, hopefully that will fix it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal