Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pleo reset button...maybe  (Read 13860 times)

altwolf

• Following the footsteps
Pleo reset button...maybe
« on: January 13, 2009, 12:27:42 PM »

One of my Pleos has been ill for a long time. In fact he is down for the count. Sorry buddy. :(

I got a new one for X-mas and decided it was OK to poke around in Dead Pleo's innards.

I have found that on the small circuit board that holds the USB connection there are some mount points/solder points labeled "RESETSW" and "SW2". The long black button that now pokes out of Pleo is mounted right next to this area and is labeled "SW1".

I read "resetsw" as "reset software" and that there may have been a button at one time for doing this.

Now I am super curious about what those mean: Did Pleo once have a hardware switch for resetting the software? If so, is that functionality still there - that they merely removed the switch, but left everything else as it was?  This could be potentially helpful for those who have bricked Pleos.

mweed

• Grand Poobah
  • Triassic pleo master
  • us Male
  • Pleo(s): Bob, Mopey
  • : Tomat Harvest Festivals
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Dr_Bunsen_Honeydew
    • Snoopy
    • Bob the Pleo
Re: Pleo reset button...maybe
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 01:21:35 PM »

Wow!  That's great information!  However, I would have to slightly disagree with your assumption.  To me, SW means "switch" as in switch 1, switch 2, and reset switch.  And I would assume it to be a hardware type reset button in case the software locks up.  Just like you have a reset switch on your PC, PDA, iPOD, or cell phone.  As such my guess is, if the pleo is bricked due to a bad software load, this won't help.  But I'm just guessing . . .    Would be great if we could get Ugobe to respond! ;)

altwolf

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 03:28:16 PM »

yah, i considered rest switch too. I tried to imagine why you need to reset a switch though...since it only has 2 logical positions which depend on physical pressure holding it down. Maybe you do need it. I don't know.

mweed

• Grand Poobah
  • Triassic pleo master
  • us Male
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Dr_Bunsen_Honeydew
    • Snoopy
    • Bob the Pleo
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 04:22:24 PM »

Most reset switches are momentary contact switches.  So I would expect it to require pressure to hold it down.  It's common in development to have designed the circuit board with places for parts that end up being removed before final production.  They leave the text, holes, wiring, etc. as the board was originally designed because that's cheaper than recreating the templates for the circuit board, and gives the the company a way to examine & test defective or returned products. 

allosaurus

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 10:32:31 AM »

One of my Pleos has been ill for a long time. In fact he is down for the count. Sorry buddy. :(

I got a new one for X-mas and decided it was OK to poke around in Dead Pleo's innards.

I have found that on the small circuit board that holds the USB connection there are some mount points/solder points labeled "RESETSW" and "SW2". The long black button that now pokes out of Pleo is mounted right next to this area and is labeled "SW1".

I read "resetsw" as "reset software" and that there may have been a button at one time for doing this.

Now I am super curious about what those mean: Did Pleo once have a hardware switch for resetting the software? If so, is that functionality still there - that they merely removed the switch, but left everything else as it was?  This could be potentially helpful for those who have bricked Pleos.

Do you have pictures? If not, could you get some?

altwolf

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2009, 12:22:16 PM »

pictures of the circuit board?

yah I will take some. Can I attach pics here?

mweed

• Grand Poobah
  • Triassic pleo master
  • us Male
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Dr_Bunsen_Honeydew
    • Snoopy
    • Bob the Pleo
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2009, 12:47:39 PM »

Sure!  When you click on the reply button, the "Post Reply" screen is displayed. just under the text area where you type in your reply, click on the "Additional Options..." link to reveal the attach field.

altwolf

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2009, 04:38:12 PM »

Ok. Here are some pics. Warning! These may be disturbing for sensitive viewers!

Also, see that circuit board on Pleo's butt? There are a couple empty white wire connectors on there. I can't really see what they are labeled as at the moment - To get that board off, you have to seriously dismantle Pleo's hindquarters.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 04:44:23 PM by altwolf »

altwolf

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2009, 04:46:18 PM »

let me know if you want anymore photos of his various parts.

mweed

• Grand Poobah
  • Triassic pleo master
  • us Male
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Dr_Bunsen_Honeydew
    • Snoopy
    • Bob the Pleo
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2009, 09:19:31 AM »

Love the pics!  Definitely looks like switch 2 was the reset switch.  Switch 1 (the pleo button) seems to have some text partially covered up by the switch . . .

altwolf

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2009, 10:26:55 AM »

The text under the Pleo switch is obscured by metal a little bit. What is visible says "...ake_UP SW".  I would guess that it really says "wake_UP"...

The Pleo switch looks like it would fit into the space for SW2, so I am thinking of going down to Radio Shack to see if I can find a matching switch, then soldering it into the RESETsw area. Of course, I won't know if it does anything since Mr. Pleo is currently unresponsive. Might have to wait until I figure out (if I CAN) what his ailment is.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 10:32:37 AM by altwolf »

allosaurus

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2009, 10:36:03 AM »

Ok. Here are some pics. Warning! These may be disturbing for sensitive viewers!

Also, see that circuit board on Pleo's butt? There are a couple empty white wire connectors on there. I can't really see what they are labeled as at the moment - To get that board off, you have to seriously dismantle Pleo's hindquarters.

I'm sorry, this isn't a helpful post, but wow! I get so excited about these kind of things.... Taking toys, mechanics, and robots apart. I love it! :D
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 10:50:45 AM by degers »

altwolf

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2009, 10:46:55 AM »

Yah me 2. Lol. I love to see how things work. Pleo is really interesting in how well made he is. there is A LOT of stuff inside mr. Pleo! I have previously taken apart Wowwee Robots, they are not nearly as interesting inside. His gear assemblies (legs etc.) are really out of the ordinary for a robot of this size.

I am tempted to fully take him apart, but, I still harbor hope that I can revive him some how.

allosaurus

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2009, 04:01:57 PM »

Yah me 2. Lol. I love to see how things work. Pleo is really interesting in how well made he is. there is A LOT of stuff inside mr. Pleo! I have previously taken apart Wowwee Robots, they are not nearly as interesting inside. His gear assemblies (legs etc.) are really out of the ordinary for a robot of this size.

I am tempted to fully take him apart, but, I still harbor hope that I can revive him some how.

Think what you want, but I say take apart if he doesn't work.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal