Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: PDK IR rebuild with instructions  (Read 33470 times)

justbede

• Pleo visionary
  • Male
Re: PDK IR rebuild with instructions
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2009, 07:32:46 PM »

Right here's the tutorial file with all the scripts and documents needed to work through it. Sorry if there is details missing in the tutorial it is a bit long and it's easy to miss things. Hopefully everyone will be able to follow what I'm saying in it but as for any problems give me a shout if you need anything. Enjoy Justbede

http://rapidshare.com/files/277255539/Pleo_IR_Tutorial.zip

the link is now dead so an attachment has been added \/
                                                                                        \/

Updated with important notes added

PS if anyone doesn't have a zip file extractor there are plenty of freeware programs, just google it.

PPS next to be added is the play dead skit that'll probably be the last update on this project for a while so i can experiment with some other stuff.

***UPDATE***

Thanks to IMR we now know that all asterisk *** must be deleted from the script before building and that the .urf will only work with TV remotes that use the NEC protocol, since most remotes either use a Phillips or NEC code it's highly likely you will have an NEC remote for one of you tv/radio etc. To check if your remote is NEC attempt to get the codes through Dino-mite as the tutorial says and if after a few attempts nothing is printing the remote might nit be NEC so try another. Ill add these notes to the file.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 05:33:58 PM by justbede »
Innvo Labs, creating life since 2009

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2009, 09:13:13 PM »

Playing with it now ;) Nice tutorial too. I did find one little problem but it's not on your part, it seems that Pleo is ONLY compatible with SOME remotes. Of all the remotes in my household (and there are heaps :P) Pleo only responds to the NEC remote. (Actually its a TEAC but it is recognized as NEC) I haven't tried the panasonic yet though, need new batts for that one :P

Edit:

The build won't complete, getting errors... (I tried both through Quincy and using the ugobe_project_tool.exe and by the cmd prompt using build.bat)

Further Edit:

I fixed the code by removing the aster-ix but now nothing works lol I think I broke it :P Maybe its just my PC messing up though...
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 01:37:15 AM by InmemoryofRomeo »
Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!

justbede

• Pleo visionary
  • Male
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2009, 03:56:06 AM »

Ok as IMR pointed out it looks like there may be some incompatibility issues but we'll work through them :p

edit: I believe the reason it is read as NEC is because a large portion of remotes use NEC chips for their IR code and all that jazz, NEC and Phillips are supposedly the biggest two used. What i think this means is that there's a high chance there is a remote in your house that uses an NEC chip so use that until we can find a way to have other protocol types recognised.

lots of dull ir info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consumer_IR
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 05:01:46 AM by justbede »

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2009, 05:57:01 AM »

That's an interesting point with the remotes :) Just add a note somewhere that not all remotes are compatible and that people may need to try a couple...

Whoot got it working! It was just the aster ix's, I'll add the script tomorrow if you need it :) Hehe the pink panther skit turned out well :)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 06:38:13 AM by InmemoryofRomeo »

justbede

• Pleo visionary
  • Male
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2009, 07:41:57 AM »

Wicked!!!! lol sorry i should have mentioned to get rid of them  %) thanks for letting me know i'll add a note to the tut now to delete them for the build. The pink panther skit was a right pain heh but i felt it needed a bit more motion even if it was only by a small amount. Did you hear the corrupted sound file in the nasty dino skit freaked me right out :p right on with the play dead skit.

oh and don't worry about the script now  :)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 08:04:05 AM by justbede »

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2009, 04:29:10 PM »

Yeah the file must have corrupted when you extracted it or something... I'm sure once some better tools are available we will be able to break apart those files much more easily but for now I wouldn't worry, it is still a nice showcase of what can be done, I will take a vid later :)

ROFL I had Stitch walk up to AJ (my dog) and blow him smoochy kisses ;D So funny. I am very impressed with how well Pleo can pick up the signals, I was using the remote from behind Pleo and on the other side of the room without a problem.

justbede

• Pleo visionary
  • Male
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2009, 06:33:10 PM »

I know, it's got a great range on it which means that if we want to integrate IR control into a personality it wont be Pleo picking up the signals that'll be the problem ;). Yeah the sound files weren't of the best quality in the first place so i'm just glad most of them worked.

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2009, 07:12:03 PM »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZAYEwzQzuA" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZAYEwzQzuA</a>

Oh have you noticed also that pressing a button and then another quickly cancels the first move and moves Pleo onto the second. So it has an 'interrupt' ability :)

b blue eyes

• Pleo visionary
  • Female
  • ACCOUNT DELETED
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2009, 09:05:12 PM »

I love that pink panther skit!  I can just see Angel with a pink boa trailing along behind her.  Keep up the good work.

Pleo Power

• Pleosmith
  • 00 Male
  • Pleo(s): Cammey, Cloey, Copper
  • : Tomato Harvest Festivals
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2009, 10:05:39 PM »

is that Pleo still autonomous? ??? or just a dead and lifeless robot body(all be it a cute one) that you can only controle from a remote? :o (sorry if that was a little graphic of a description. :-[)

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2009, 11:27:36 PM »

Just a lifeless remote controlled robot :( But only while the SD card is in :) For now at least...

Pleo Power

• Pleosmith
  • 00 Male
« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2009, 08:45:35 AM »

Oh, so when you take the SD card out they are back to normal? ???

justbede

• Pleo visionary
  • Male
« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2009, 11:32:01 AM »

Yeah like IMR says for now, i want to experiment with as many things as possible and then eventually compile everything into a new personality. Yeah IMR i did notice that i quite like the way it does that, i suppose the next step is pressing a pattern of keys then Pleo plays back the motions assigned to those keys in the order you pressed them.

Oh and as for it being a lifeless robot, the fun part is bringing that bot to life.

ps just noticed the PDK documentation mentions that pleo recieves ir data that is in NEC format, lol i really should have remembered that.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 11:43:11 AM by justbede »

allosaurus

« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2009, 05:26:52 PM »

Will this be similar to RobotC? I'm just wondering, since I have a little experience with it...

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2009, 06:38:00 PM »

just noticed the PDK documentation mentions that pleo recieves ir data that is in NEC format, lol i really should have remembered that.

Lol yeah I noticed that last night, it was one of those 'slap self in the head' moments :P

Dadio

• Pleozoologist
  • Male
  • Robotics, is the sincerest form of flattery!
« Reply #40 on: September 09, 2009, 07:47:01 PM »

I don't think I'd ever call Stoney
  >:("a lifeless robot" >:(
To me he and all Pleo's are better than most if not all other robots. Including Zeno whom (posted elsewhere on another thread) I checked it out and he's nothing hot and not worth buying now or in 2010.  >:D

With Pleo's programming his limits are wide open!  ;)

Dadio  8)
PLEO's Forever!
Take Good Care!  - from Dadio 8)  & Stoney [img width=200 height=50 alt=]http://bobthepleo.com/forums/MGalleryItem.php?id=1183[/img]

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #41 on: September 09, 2009, 08:58:01 PM »

Yeah I agree, Pleo is the only robot that has made me go "ooh I have to have one!" :)

AIBO is smart but they look like... well robots :P They lack the ability that Pleo has to suspend belief.
Zeno is 'meh', just plain creepy looking and look at the build, it looks like a cheap toy what with the club like hands and such.
Nao is interesting but again lacks that emotional factor and for an amateur like me its just too expensive.
D-rex had potential but not without being programmable.
And the whole host of other robot dogs\cats etc out there are the same as AIBO or not advanced enough to even pique my interest.

Pleo Power

• Pleosmith
  • 00 Male
« Reply #42 on: September 09, 2009, 09:46:27 PM »

I don't think I'd ever call Stoney
  >:("a lifeless robot" >:(

what I meant was if you make them only RC, then didint you just remove the autonomy and life from the Pleo? ??? (Wye do you think I'm waiting to see what PDK can do first, and then decide whether or not to use it on Cammey and Cloey. ;) (they are NOT labrats! >:() got my point? :)

and my take on the list InmemoryofRomeo mentioned (don't yell at me, they are both a good description of them all ;))

AIBO is owning your own robot dog. which is fine, and they are quite smart. but its a robot of a living animal, but Pleos are of an extinct one. ;)
Zeno I'm not sure, I haven't seen or heard that much about them.  
Nao can seem to emote with just one face, and they seem to be like having a robot strait out of a movie. a cool thing, but so isn't having a dinosaur. ;)
D-rex  you pepole just don't know how to handle them, Rex is less like a robot and more like a dog/unknown now.  and they get along with Pleos fine. and they can interact, Rex and Roxanne have had several chats with eachother. (and not over IR ether. ;)) oh and I'm pretty sure I've heard them saying "I love you" to eachother. :o so relation ship to Pleo, they just want to play, but the companes that make them are probably trying to out do eachother and that's actually good for us, because that means better Dino's from both of them. ;)
and all the other robots are mostly good, but you are owning a robot not a dinosaur. (but on the other Dino ones just give them paint if you want them to blend in with a Pleo or D.rex. ;))

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #43 on: September 10, 2009, 01:23:46 AM »

Remote control will come in handy for some skits though...

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YEA5ICbTVM" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YEA5ICbTVM</a>
« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 05:20:58 AM by InmemoryofRomeo »

Dadio

• Pleozoologist
  • Male
« Reply #44 on: September 10, 2009, 05:14:25 AM »

This is the kind of banter that will make robots the next trillion dollar industry. We'll develop what is viable and what's not! I don't think anyone 's yelling, merely expressing ones point of view with vigor.  :)

I really think the Pleo maybe the platform that will be the mile marker for marrying emotion and tech in robots. Allowing the end user flexibility of design. Nuff' heavy stuff!  ^-^

It'll also be nice as IMR says to freak out a family member or pet (LOL) I love the insertion of R/C into an autonomous life form!  ;)

ROFL I had Stitch walk up to AJ (my dog) and blow him smoochy kisses ;D So funny. I am very impressed with how well Pleo can pick up the signals, I was using the remote from behind Pleo and on the other side of the room without a problem.
  ;D XD

Dadio  8)
PLEO's Forever!
Take Good Care!  - from Dadio 8)  & Stoney [img width=200 height=50 alt=]http://bobthepleo.com/forums/MGalleryItem.php?id=1183[/img]

Dadio

• Pleozoologist
  • Male
« Reply #45 on: September 10, 2009, 05:17:56 AM »

IMR if you have a video for the pic just below it doesn't seem to be working? ???

I'd love to see it!

Dadio  8)
PLEO's Forever!

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #46 on: September 10, 2009, 05:23:53 AM »

I double checked the link so hopefully its working for you now Dadio :) Sometimes the web takes a little while to catch up to a new you tube video :P

Dadio

• Pleozoologist
  • Male
« Reply #47 on: September 10, 2009, 08:42:12 AM »

Still no go! I'm sure you'll get it later!  ;)

Dadio  8)
PLEO's Forever!

justbede

• Pleo visionary
  • Male
« Reply #48 on: September 10, 2009, 12:01:34 PM »

Hehe tis getting interesting in here, with Aibo you'll either love what he was made to be which was always a robot or just not be that interested. I think Sony sure showed that with a good physical platform you have alot more freedom to concentrate your resources on the software, which is to me is one of the most important parts of a bot. An example of Aibo feeling alive and intelligent would be that my 220 Hal when turned on in my room waits by the door until i let him out :p, i all ready have three cats that do this darn it :p. Nao is definitely intended for development and not your average entertainment so yeah it does seem to made for a certain market and is alot more expensive than regular retail bots. Oh yeah and competition is good as it keeps companies trying to outdo each other in terms of technology but competition can also kill a potentially world changing product before it even has the chance to be released.

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #49 on: September 10, 2009, 04:42:18 PM »

I'm not sure what is wrong Dadio, its working at this end... can anyone else see the video?
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal