Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Proud new owner of two Pleos  (Read 4045 times)

LucyK5

• Following the footsteps
  • au Female
Proud new owner of two Pleos
« on: July 19, 2020, 05:18:12 AM »

Just thought I’d make a new post about the start of my pleo journey!

I currently have two pleos on their way to me in the mail - a ugobe from the USA, and a pink rb from Denmark (my current profile picture.) Both are lightly used but weren’t played with much, the RB was part of a group of 4 pleos that travelled to schools to teach children about robots! I’m so excited for them to arrive and the wait is killing me!
I already have SD cards, a spare battery and autoglym coming in the mail in anticipation of their arrival. :D

I’ve been reading everything I can about these wonderful little dinos on this forum, I’m so thankful to find an old forum that is still up and running with some active members in the community. ^^

I’m not sure which OS either pleo will be running, but the rb was purchased in 2016, so I assume she’s already up to date.

I’m nervous that their arrival will be delayed due to COVID, but fingers crossed it all goes smoothly and they show up in the next couple of weeks. I’ll post an update on this thread once my babies arrive!

That’s all for now :)
Lucy
« Last Edit: July 19, 2020, 05:22:58 AM by LucyK5 »

pnhicks

Re: Proud new owner of two Pleos
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2020, 01:06:47 PM »

Hey Lucky Lucy,

Good job on the double win!  The pink Rb is a nice one by the picture!  The choice of OS is really only interesting (IMHO) in the case of the UGOBE (Plain Pleo) as the different flavors do actually vary.  It is a very personal decision as to which one suits you best.

There was a post deep in the bowels of the forum archives that gave a good description of what the actual changes that were incorporated in each version, and sort of "how to tell which OS does my Pleo have?" guide as well.

I had good intentions to bookmark it for reference, but alas...

Enjoy your new companions!

Peter

pnhicks

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2020, 02:44:34 AM »

Hi L.L.,

Required reading for all new owners:

http://bobthepleo.com/forums/index.php/topic,1617.0.html#top

Answers some of your questions about the OS's

Cheers!

Peter

LucyK5

• au Female
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2020, 05:08:58 AM »

Hi Peter, thanks for your replies! I have been reading both that FAQ page as well as the rb one :D
I’ve researched the different OS versions and watched videos, but I haven’t decided on which OS to go with for my ugobe yet, I like the thought of more tricks and vocalisations but I don’t like the idea of the teenage stage that they go through! ???
I guess I’ll see what my pleo is running when he gets here and decide from there!

LucyK5

• au Female
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2020, 01:59:12 AM »

A stressful update! My pleo rb got sent back to the Denmark sender because they would not accept the spare, loose lithium battery. So now he’s repacked my pleo with her battery in, and they said this will be fine, but now I don’t get to have a spare battery anymore. :(
Makes me nervous about my ugobe coming from the US, I know that battery is nimh rather then lithium but that just makes me even more concerned!
Fingers crossed there aren’t any more issues in transit!

pnhicks

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2020, 02:33:23 AM »

Hi Lucy,

You're still lucky (hehe, I crack me up), that your shipper is collaborating, although they should have been aware that loose batteries wouldn't pass the postal Nazis, I mean, hard working civil servants of course. 

There are no fully functional original Ugobe NiMH batteries (that haven't been repacked by a previous owner), so any second hand Ugobe will have this issue.  That is why the majority of them are on sale, "my Pleo just says huh and goes to sleep!", or "my Pleo runs for 5 mins and then goes to sleep."

You get the idea.  Not too many people bother to replace the battery, i.e. they can't find one on Ebay, or little Susie or Joey is now into Instagram, Fornite, or college.

But you, the Pleo adventurist, know about battery repacking, so all is well, undaunted, you move bravely into the future to face the challenges ahead!

Cheers!

Peter
« Last Edit: July 25, 2020, 04:32:07 AM by pnhicks »

LucyK5

• au Female
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2020, 03:57:03 AM »

Haha I don’t mind my new nickname here, maybe it’s keeping me lucky with my pleos! :D

I don’t expect the ugobe battery to work well, I just need to get it into the country so that I can have it repacked! Already spoke to a local battery store who are prepared to try and repack it for me with “quality yuasa cells”, whatever those are! :P

I am bummed about the loss of the extra rb battery though, that would have been really handy but I’ll just have to go without since it seems near impossible to ship a battery if it isn’t installed in something!

pnhicks

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2020, 04:47:52 AM »

Hi Lucky Lucy!

Yuasa (from what I could find on the www) are makers of a very high tech LI ion cell that is used mainly in military/space/ocean floor exploration applications (read costly). 

They also have a line of vehicle batteries  (not sure if it's the same firm).

They seem to specialize in custom order stuff for industry rather than off the shelf to retail customer, but who knows what is available in Australia?  Your water even goes down the drain backwards, roo guards on cars, summer at Christmas :D :D ?? 

I told you I crack me up, or maybe I'm just on crack?  It was one of those!

Who knows maybe you'll have the first Pleo that can go in space or to the Challenger Deep?

Oh I gotta stop for now, my sides are hurting, must be heat, is it hot in here?

Take care

Peter

[/size]
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal