Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pleo RB - Ill-Fated? Many Problems  (Read 4454 times)

djspooky

• Egg
  • us Male
  • Pleo(s): Spooky
Pleo RB - Ill-Fated? Many Problems
« on: September 14, 2019, 04:47:06 PM »

Phew okay. I'm having several issues. I am both new and old, I was on this forum several years ago but can't recall my username. I had just ordered my first Pleo RB and came here to share my excitement.

Now years later I'm back, and after being on and off homeless but still keeping him with me I've decided to pull him out and dust him off. However, all of his accessories have been lost...including his charging cradle. He also is almost entirely missing a foot, skin wise. Lastly, he was in the same, curled up sleepy position all these years.

Now I present my questions.

1. Will the skin from a Classic Pleo fit on an RB if I bought a broken one off of eBay and skinned it (horrible I know!)

2. Will the charging cradle for a Classic work for an RB? They look the same to me.

3. Lastly, if he's been off, battery dead, all these years is it even worth it to pay the $125 I'd need to buy the Official charger cradle, adapter, and 3 initial pieces of food? What are the chances he won't even work anymore?

Thank you so much. Finding stuff about Pleo RB in 2019 feels like a tedious task. I hope I'm not being annoying.

aibo7m3

• Pleo mentor
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): A whole herd of robotic dinosaurs!
Re: Pleo RB - Ill-Fated? Many Problems
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2019, 04:41:55 PM »

Welcome back!

The skin from a Ugobe Pleo will fit a Pleo RB for the most part, though I believe there would be holes on the underside of the skin as the Ugobe Pleo has its power switch and SD card slot exposed on the belly while the Pleo RB does not. I probably would not recommend using a Ugobe Pleo's skin on your Pleo RB though, as the rubber used on Ugobe Pleos is much more prone to tearing and degrading than that used on Pleo RBs and will likely not hold up over time. It sounds like your RB may be running the original firmware which caused the Pleo to curl up into a sleeping position when turned off. This firmware was quickly replaced with an update that has the Pleo go into the packing position when turned off instead, as the curled position causes a lot of stress to be put on the Pleo's skin, resulting in it inevitably tearing over time. If you update your Pleo, you may at least be able to prevent further damage to the skin.

A Pleo RB battery has a tab on the base of it that prevents it from being inserted into the Ugobe charging cradle. I believe some people have cut this tab to allow it to be charged in the Ugobe cradle, but I have never tried charging a Pleo RB battery in a Ugobe cradle and cannot say for myself whether it would be safe to do so/do not recommend trying. The adapter cords for the Ugobe Pleo and Pleo RB are not interchangeable and you need a Pleo RB adapter to charge a Pleo RB battery.

If you purchase a new charging cradle and adapter, you will likely be able to get him working again as long as he was working well when you last played with him. However, I cannot guarantee that he will work properly if he has not been used for several years and it is possible that his battery may also need replacing given the amount of time that has passed. It's up to you whether the price would be worth it; fully working Pleo RBs with intact skin and all of the necessary accessories typically sell in the $200-350 range on the secondhand market, so you may want to look into either buying another Pleo RB and sharing the accessories.

mweed

• Grand Poobah
  • Triassic pleo master
  • us Male
  • Pleo(s): Bob, Mopey
  • : Tomat Harvest Festivals
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Dr_Bunsen_Honeydew
    • Snoopy
    • Bob the Pleo
Re: Pleo RB - Ill-Fated? Many Problems
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2019, 03:11:25 PM »

Classic Pleo batteries are NiMH, Pleo RB batteries are Li-ion; the chargers and batteries are NOT interchangeable, even if you cut off the tab.  RedWoodsMama probably still sells the food and possibly RB batteries, which could save you a lot on postage.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal