Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Want to become a raptor trainer?  (Read 7574 times)

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
Want to become a raptor trainer?
« on: September 07, 2018, 01:21:36 AM »

https://youtu.be/ZyVMFZPi_Qk

This little girl looks amazing :) Can’t wait to channel my inner Chris Pratt and get one :)
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 01:29:54 AM by InmemoryofRomeo »

Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!

Comarorobotcollector

• Pleozoologist
  • 00 Male
  • Pleo(s): Comaro,Cosmic,Bambi,Pumpkin,Gator
  • jdhv
Re: Want to become a raptor trainer?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2018, 11:27:19 PM »

Me too?? She looks so cute i might get two so i can customize one of them.
I am really happy to see Mattel making dinosaurs again

Anya

• Pleo wanderer
  • gb Female
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2018, 12:46:51 AM »

Oooh! I saw this and was very tempted! It was however around the same time I was trying desperately to convince myself I wasn't too old to finally buy a pleo! Pleo won!

Talon

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Cato and Samantha (Pleo RB‘s), Eugobe, Terry, Cuddles, Bleu (Ugobe Pleos)
    • Lucy
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2018, 11:32:40 AM »

At IMR: I'm excited about this robot too! She is really tempting and the good thing for me is she doesn't require an app! Yay! I'm also keeping an eye on Anki's Vector. This is supposed to be an improvement on Cosmo and- other than setting it up- it won't be so tied to your smart phone. He also speaks and navigates your tabletop.
At Anya: too old? Lol! Who's too old? There's no age line here. I bought Ryu- my Pleo RB on my thirtieth birthday and purchased a Jibo and a My Real Baby by Hazbro and I. Robot at thirty seven. We have members here who are even older than this dinosaur. We're all a big family united in our fascination with robots.
Talon
Talon
Find me on YouTube at Crazy Robot Lady

Anya

• Pleo wanderer
  • gb Female
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2018, 01:47:20 PM »

Hehe, you're absolutely right! Great to find some like-minded people!

mweed

• Grand Poobah
  • Triassic pleo master
  • us Male
  • Pleo(s): Bob, Mopey
  • : Tomat Harvest Festivals
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Dr_Bunsen_Honeydew
    • Snoopy
    • Bob the Pleo
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2018, 03:56:12 PM »

I've been disappointed that many of the more recent robot offerings have all been "app enabled" and require a phone to play with them.  I agree with Talon about Anki's new Vector and the fact that it is much more independent and doesn't use a phone to interact.  I have Cosmo, and they're supposed to be sending me a Vector when they come out, so I'll let everyone here know how it works out.

This new raptor looks cute, but I'm not sure about it.  Seems like too much of it is the remote control.  I'd love it if she were more independent.

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2018, 10:11:02 PM »

It’s most definitely a toy robot rather than a more serious robot. But it’s adorable :)

I love my Cosmo, the app is annoying but he’s really cute, the kids at work love him. I’ll definitely be ordering Vector.
Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!

Talon

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Cato and Samantha (Pleo RB‘s), Eugobe, Terry, Cuddles, Bleu (Ugobe Pleos)
    • Lucy
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2018, 03:02:50 PM »

At Mweed: I can see where you're coming from about the raptor bot. She kind of reminds me of WowWee's Roboraptor. That's probably why she has an appeal to me, but I'm not sure if I'm willing to put down two sixty or whatever on a toy bot. Sadly if you think about it though, most of the robotic offerings- at least the ones I've seen aimed at consumers- aren't independent at all. I mean look at Dobi and Alpha II and Linx and that other Alpha thing. Alpha Pro 1S or whatever it's called. All of them are basically fancy puppets with some IFTT and voice-assistant capabilities built in. Maybe I'm wrong for saying this, but if they wanted a moving Echo/Google Home/HomePod, just put one of those in a body, give it a little autonomy and see what happens. Just don't make the mistake Mayfield Robotics made and say it's a rolling hands-free camera for capturing those little unscripted, (and potentially awkward) moments in your home.
Talon
Talon
Find me on YouTube at Crazy Robot Lady

mweed

• Grand Poobah
  • Triassic pleo master
  • us Male
  • Pleo(s): Bob, Mopey
  • : Tomat Harvest Festivals
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Dr_Bunsen_Honeydew
    • Snoopy
    • Bob the Pleo
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2018, 01:08:29 PM »

Maybe I'm wrong for saying this, but if they wanted a moving Echo/Google Home/HomePod, just put one of those in a body, give it a little autonomy and see what happens.

That's pretty much what Vector is attempting to be, and at that $240 price range.

Pennys mum

• Pleontologist
  • gb Female
  • Pleo(s): Penelope Pleo(RB), Berty Blueboy Wooster(RB), Fossil, Deana Dino & Dusty ugobes
    • Beaker
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2018, 02:10:34 PM »

How did I miss this? Really nice but out of my pocket range at the mo - maybe next year depending on price.  Think I’ll be quite absorbed enough with my baby Wookiee to take me up to Xmas.

Pleo Power

• Pleosmith
  • 00 Male
  • Pleo(s): Cammey, Cloey, Copper
  • : Tomato Harvest Festivals
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2019, 07:39:30 PM »

I got a Blue for my birthday last year, So... here's my review and observations.

She can not walk unless in direct control mode, or training mode and given the command, but is the fastest by far of all of my robotic dinosaurs. ( ...not saying much, as I don't have a zoomer, but still ) She has wheels on her feet almost like rollerblades. Somehow her touch sensors work through solid plastic, and she has one on her head and one under her chin. The remote is needed even when autonomous, because you "feed" her by holding a button and making a tossing gesture with the remote, simulating feeding her a dead rat as seen in the film. She can see with two motion sensors in her nose holes, and hear through small holes on her neck.She also has two sensors that seem to be for motion on her chest, which are not listed in the instructions, my best guess would be to guard against falling off a table.

She is covered entirely in plastic, with a stiff rubber for her hands, claws and the tip of her tail.

Training mode: She comes with instructions telling you what to do, you click a button on the controller and make a gesture with the remote and hopefully she will turn, move, roar or attack, depending on the command. Then you reward her with imaginary food. At first you can only have her do simple commands, like turn around. Over time this will level up and unlock the ability to do more, until you reach the final one "attack".

Direct control mode(s): Unlike Robotraptor/Roboreptile, she has two modes of direct control One which is for walking/skating around and another for her eyes ( open and close as well as looking around ) and roaring.

Autonomous mode(s): Three modes for this, one friendly, one neutral and one hostile. she will make sounds, get hungry and react to petting while like this, and kind of do her own thing ...as long as that doesn't involve walking.

Her battery is internal and would be difficult to replace, she comes with a charger, a remote and her box transforms into a decently large area for her to walk if your floor is a rug. Also a cable to connect to computers for software updates.

The remote is... pretty much a Wii nunchuck. it's the same size and shape as one, but with more buttons. the stick is for direct control, two buttons cycle her modes, one is for food and one is a clicker, like Owen has in the films.

She has some of the classic JP raptor sounds as well as several new to the two Jurassic World films.

She is roughly the size of a Roboraptor, but not quite as long, and she is much less.... chaotic than they are, due to not being able to freely walk.

Interestingly enough, I tested the clicker with Roboraptor and they actually respond to it. It's not infrared or anything, it makes a sound, and they will turn or charge in the direction of it. Roboreptile will not.

Piggy

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2019, 02:10:10 AM »

When can I buy this in the Netherlands? This is such a cool robot  :dino-chase: :D !
I still have my old D Rex the interactive dinosaur from Mattel 2008 ! He does not walk anymore but still works great. Great review Pleo Power !

Pleo Power

• Pleosmith
  • 00 Male
  • Pleo(s): Cammey, Cloey, Copper
  • : Tomato Harvest Festivals
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2019, 02:45:28 AM »

I'm not sure. I haven't seen them in stores here ( the US ) so I'm not sure if they can only be bought online? Mattel have them on their website, and there's always amazon and ebay, but I'm not sure what the shipping would be, or if Mattel ship to there?

My trio of D.Rexes are still working, too. ...and also can't walk unless in attack mode or helped/lifted so they're walking in the air. They sometimes get stuck in an animation while trying to move, or walk. ...and some of their motions are connected to walking.

Piggy

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2019, 01:25:11 AM »

Thanks for your reply  :D I can indeed buy them from eBay or amazon, but the with the import taxes and shipping it will become very expensive. So I think I have to wait a while for blue to get cheaper and then I will buy one  :D

Wow three D Rexes that is so awesome, in the Netherlands they are very hard to come by. Must be really cool to see all three of them roaring at each other!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal