Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: In search of someone who can fix an rb neck  (Read 5393 times)

Comarorobotcollector

• Pleozoologist
  • 00 Male
  • Pleo(s): Comaro,Cosmic,Bambi,Pumpkin,Gator
  • jdhv
In search of someone who can fix an rb neck
« on: February 04, 2018, 12:18:10 AM »

The pleo i got from Italy has a broken neck when the person who sold him to me told me the neck was functioning just fine.Sends him folded up in a box with the head drooping and the tail(thankfully did not break) but was pressed against the body. People do not understand how to ship something with fragile parts?? Would anyone be able to fixed and redo the wire for payment??

He only has one snapped wire  :(

pnhicks

Re: In search of someone who can fix an rb neck
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2018, 07:06:35 AM »

Hi Coma,

Since I live in Spain, shipping the whole robot would be a nonstarter, but if you were willing to do disassembly...

I could send you a working PleoRb head/neck with servos and good cables ( without skin) in exchange for your pleo's unskinned neck and head with servos and broken cables.

I could then take my time recabling it and if it didn't work, well you would still have a working PleoRB!

Just an idea!

Peterrootbeer.gif

Comarorobotcollector

• Pleozoologist
  • 00 Male
  • jdhv
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2018, 04:39:30 PM »

Do you have a broken pleo yourself? Is it functional?I would love to know the stories behind the issues yours has.

pnhicks

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2018, 01:45:24 AM »

Hi Coma,

I don't allow my pleos to talk on the grounds they would incriminate me!  I have a box o'parts of about 3 ugobe pleos and 2 rb pleos (I also have one of each that I keep in service at the nursing home for senior citizens).

They change necks, heads, tails and legs on a regular basis with each other and don't seem to mind except the RB which now claims to be very old (poor dear).

I am working on a minimum essential board configuration to successfully start up an RB without reassembly of the whole beast (I have done it for the Ugobe, everything is so much easier on the the Ugobe!).  So far the RB resists me  (if only I had the smarts of Pleopet or Bauermech!), but those days are gone, I'm afraid. :(

So I putter a long swapping out OPT (other people's trash) for as long as I can, as the residence won't put out any cash for this >:( .

That's my story and I'm stick'n to it!

Cheers from Spain rootbeer.gif
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 01:48:59 AM by pnhicks »

Comarorobotcollector

• Pleozoologist
  • 00 Male
  • jdhv
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2018, 12:07:48 AM »

wow that is interesting ><
Wishing i could fix Comaro he is my first pleo
his neck wires all of them have snapped and i would love to get him
fixed someday so he can move his neck again.

I mean i would pay you if you could do the repairs on a ugobe.

Comarorobotcollector

• Pleozoologist
  • 00 Male
  • jdhv
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2018, 09:07:26 AM »

The thing is i don't want to replace his whole head just the top wire that snapped.

pnhicks

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2018, 10:47:16 AM »

Hi Coma,

In that case you would have to remove your head (haha, not YOUR head, the head of your Pleo on the broken neck/servo assy.  Its not hard, three screws, two on one side of the head/neck junction and one on the other (they are not the same length, go figure, so mark how they came out).

Removing the wiring harnesses from the neck assy is bit of a trick, the black one usually comes out a treat, but the rainbow colored on has a ferrite choke just at the connector which prevents threading it through the neck vertebra.

I have been successful in pushing the connector back through the choke, without permanent damage to wires or connector (it does require a bit of finesse, not just brute force, jamming it through the hole)! 

Now you will have a head with just the rainbow and black signal wires and a separate neck and servo assembly (with their associated wiring).

Now I could ship you a fully functional neck assy and you could ship me the broken neck assy and for my part we would be square.

Why do I prefer to do it this way?  As you know these are old and tricky things to get right.  Sometimes the head hangs low, or to the left, or doesn't go as much right as left etc, etc. A day or a week, or a month after a repair a cable can go boing and your customer goes "but you just fixed this!!" etc, etc. 

What I could charge you for this repair would not warrant my time effort, much less supporting emails "is ready yet" as I am a person for whom time is relative and I work on these things at my own pace.

Sorry if I sound like a prat but I've been at this a while and you would not believe what I've seen and heard.

Let me know if you're still interested!

Peter rootbeer.gif

« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 01:56:57 AM by pnhicks »

Comarorobotcollector

• Pleozoologist
  • 00 Male
  • jdhv
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2018, 09:30:02 PM »

Seems like something i would mess up tbh xD
But if i were to ship my ugobe and pleo rbs you would be able to
fix their current neck issues maybe?

RBs One as broken vertebra and the other has a snapped wire.
ugobe(all of his neck wires are snapped)

pnhicks

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2018, 03:42:48 AM »

Hi Camo,

If no one in your geographical area chimes in, sure, I will do it, but check out the postage first!  I can't believe there are no US pleo owners who do cable replacements? 

I offer you the following, I upon receipt of your pleos will replace damaged parts with functioning "used parts" and return them to you at your cost for the shipping.  There is no charge for the repair or parts.

I will retain possession of your "damaged parts" for my use. I will make every attempt to make the skin look as "handsome as possible" after repair. 

This will depend on the age of the skin and the amount of superglue previously in previous surgeries.  Another possibility is, if you are handy with the artistic side of things, you could send me the pleos unskined and retain artistic control over their final appearance by reskinning them yourself.

No other warranties are expressed or implied.

Let me know what you think!

Peter
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 03:48:05 AM by pnhicks »

Comarorobotcollector

• Pleozoologist
  • 00 Male
  • jdhv
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2018, 06:23:12 PM »

going to PM you

pnhicks