Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2012 furby motor issues  (Read 4027 times)

ZeusGodOfTheSky

• Following the footsteps
  • Male
2012 furby motor issues
« on: May 24, 2016, 04:23:39 PM »

Hi, does anyone know anything about furbys here? I recently acquired a 2012 furby, all was well until the speaker stopped working. I took it apart and replaced it with a new one, problem solved, or so I thought, I realized after putting it all back together that the motor seems to be reversed? Basically when it falls asleep it bends back instead, and at its normal, usually upright position he is instead curled over and his eyes are closed as if he were sleeping. Otherwise he works perfectly fine, is there anything I could have accidentally messed up or unplugged? Any help is appreciated

Thanks,
William

Talon

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Cato and Samantha (Pleo RB‘s), Eugobe, Terry, Cuddles, Bleu (Ugobe Pleos)
    • Lucy
Re: 2012 furby motor issues
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2016, 04:48:29 PM »

Wow! What a daring surgery! The only thing I can suggest is that you take your little guy apart again and see if you can find the wire you may have soldered back in the wrong place when you put the speaker in. I think a good rule of thumb when doing a repair job like this would be to take pictures  as you go along. That way you have a guide when you start putting things back together again.
I've never done any digging into Furby innards myself but I have done lots of searches for teardown guides, only out of boredom. I am not a robot-abuser. Hopefully someone else here has more guts than me and can be of some real help to you.
Talon
Talon
Find me on YouTube at Crazy Robot Lady

ZeusGodOfTheSky

• Male
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2016, 06:51:13 PM »

Thanks! I did take him apart again and can't seem to find anything. I know I'll figure it out eventually :P

William

aibo7m3

• Pleo mentor
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): A whole herd of robotic dinosaurs!
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2016, 02:52:17 PM »

I know a member online who ended up reversing the ear motors on another robot recently, but am not sure if they ever found a solution. Did you resolder or perhaps shift the position of anything else when replacing the speaker? It might just be worth buying another 2012 since they aren't very expensive used (or just accept the reversed movements as an interesting quirk). I've never taken apart a 2012 Furby, so I'm not super experienced with how they're put together.

ZeusGodOfTheSky

• Male
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2016, 10:33:17 PM »

Yeah, I think I'll just leave it for now, it adds personality  :P

ZeusGodOfTheSky

• Male
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2016, 10:43:51 AM »

Ok, I have solved the issue! It turns out all you have to do is reset it three or four times for the motors to reset I guess? It works great now!

Talon

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Cato and Samantha (Pleo RB‘s), Eugobe, Terry, Cuddles, Bleu (Ugobe Pleos)
    • Lucy
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2016, 07:58:16 AM »

Hahaha! That's kind of funny. The poor Furby must've been suffering from rejection from his introduced parts. Okay in all seriousness, glad he is working correctly again!
Talon
Talon
Find me on YouTube at Crazy Robot Lady

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2016, 03:37:42 PM »

I'm a bit late here, but this happened to two of mine without surgical intervention. Indeed hitting the reset button a few times eventually fixes it :)
Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal