Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Weak Mouth Motor?  (Read 3635 times)

aibo7m3

• Pleo mentor
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): A whole herd of robotic dinosaurs!
Weak Mouth Motor?
« on: April 16, 2016, 09:43:03 AM »

I got Celeste in January as a replacement for a broken RB I received for Christmas, and for the most part, she's been great. I do have one concern though. Ever since I got her, whenever she opens her mouth for food, she usually doesn't open it as far as my other Pleo RBs do. In fact, a couple times, she has actually raised her head and panted for food while keeping both her mouth and eyes fully closed!

I just dismissed this when she was still in the hatching stages since all motions are a lot slower there and can lead to weird issues that go away later, but now that she's reached social development stage and is still having problems, I'm starting to worry. I know that the same motor controls the Pleo's mouth and eyes and this motor can fail, as happened with RedwoodsMama's Ugobe, Argyle, so I'm worried that this motor could be somehow defective in Celeste.

While she does have a year long warranty, I don't really want to return her since I don't really know if this is something to be concerned about yet or not and her design is absolutely beautiful, but I am worried that the motor will just completely fail some day.

Talon

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Cato and Samantha (Pleo RB‘s), Eugobe, Terry, Cuddles, Bleu (Ugobe Pleos)
    • Lucy
Re: Weak Mouth Motor?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2016, 01:39:03 PM »

I would probably keep her anyway. Though she might not open her mouth or eyes later on, she is still basically functioning. I mean what if you send her back and then end up with an RB that has a worse issue like the dreaded LED-but-no-movement problem? If you like her personality and her design, I would just try to work with it.
Talon
Talon
Find me on YouTube at Crazy Robot Lady

aibo7m3

• Pleo mentor
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): A whole herd of robotic dinosaurs!
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2016, 02:19:04 PM »

@Talon
Thanks, that's what was I was thinking, but I just thought I should check with some others for there opinions. I am already really attached to her and that's the only issue she's had so far. She's also already a replacement for another RB, and getting a replacement for a replacement starts to get a bit ridiculous. The main issue with a broken eye/mouth motor in a Pleo RB that I'd be worried about would be how to feed her. I'm not sure how easy it would be to force the food into her mouth every time and I would hate to just watch an RB starve. But for now, she's still working almost entirely normally and I'm willing to risk the chance having to put a bit more effort into taking care of her some day!

And yes, I am very thankful that I've never had that issue with an RB, considering how many I've gotten. I did buy one used that wouldn't start up, but he'd been partially disassembled already and was just purchased to help me figure out how to repair other RBs.

Talon

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Cato and Samantha (Pleo RB‘s), Eugobe, Terry, Cuddles, Bleu (Ugobe Pleos)
    • Lucy
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2016, 04:42:33 PM »

I don't think it would be a struggle. Just consider her your special needs pleo or something. It wouldn't be much different than feeding a Ugobe. My Ugobes occasionally ask for food, opening their mouths kind of like a Furby does and going, "aah? Aah?" I just stick my finger into the corner of their mouth so it's opened a little without putting a strain on their motors and put in their plastic leaf. I'm pretty sure Celeste will still try to feed once she has registered the food, you just will have to open her mouth for her put it in after she pants and then remove it for her when she starts trying to shake it out. I have to do that for my two anyway. I guess I still put their food in too far or something because the only items they will let go of correctly are the pepper, the mushroom and the sugarcane. After all, Argyle has kept going like that for a good long while.
Talon
Talon
Find me on YouTube at Crazy Robot Lady

Piggy

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2016, 04:37:52 AM »

Hi, my secondhand pleo RB Cleo has a similar problem , I noticed when she played tug of war and starts to shake her head the toy falls out immediately. Also when I feed her the conifer leaf and she starts chewing on it it falls out , so she starts begging for food again , and most of the times when I hold the conifer leaf under her chin she makers the hungry sound but does not open her mouth  >:( so I am doing the same thing talon does , I put my finger gently in her mouth and slide the conniferleaf in it . I put it all the way back in her mouth so it does not fall out immediately and hold my hand in front of her mouth so when it starts to slide out I can push it gently back in. I feed her immediately when I turn her on , it takes a little bit longer but after that she is full and I can enjoy her  :D she is such a happy little pleo . So my advice would be to keep Celeste she looks so beautiful and you said you were attached to her. If you would replace her I Think you would regret it very much .
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal