Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Broken neck vertebrae ... 3D printing solution  (Read 6239 times)

pleokemp

• Leaving the nest
  • Male
Broken neck vertebrae ... 3D printing solution
« on: February 16, 2016, 09:42:25 PM »

I had to put my Pleo away years ago when his neck broke and I was to scared to attempt to open the neck up and take a peek at what exactly happen, today I faced that fear. I took my time and opened the neck up to find the last full sized vertebra near the body was broken in four pieces each piece then hanging by the wires. At this point I wish it was the wires cause I can tell this is going to be an undertaking, but I have more experience and confidence now.

My idea is to take his neck apart fully to extract the vertebra, then to model each section, because it's fully apart, then to print what I need and put him back together. I have access to a SeeMeCNC Orion Delta printer as well as carbon fiber PLA filament.

So my main question is, has anyone done this yet? I couldn't find any 3D printable files here or any where online.

Also are there other parts I should model and put out there that people need?

I'm going to take my time modeling them and get them very precise, using calipers and then test print till it's correct.

I've also wondered about the different toys I've seen now with the RBs, could these be 3D printed and what makes them work RFID. If so then I bet we could make our own toys.

Is there anything else 3D printing could be used for with Pleo?

« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 10:00:42 PM by pleokemp »

grumpy

• Administrator
  • Pleosmith
  • we Male
  • : 2008 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Skipper
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Statler
    • Lucy
    • Bob the Pleo
Re: Broken neck vertebrae ... 3D printing solution
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2016, 09:43:21 AM »

The key to most of the toys (foods and learning stones) is the RFID chip inside them.   But 3D models of all the neck vertebrae is what people really need.  There are a couple of models already made for DIY batter packs.

kat

• Pleo Grand Master, 2nd epoch
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Kermit (Pink RB), Norbit (Green RB), Pickle(nude RB), Gumble, Minyon and Frankie
  • : 2013 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2016, 04:41:19 PM »

If your able to make new neck vertebrae I would love some :)  I have a couple of pleos with broken vertebrae that I have just done a glue back together fix but would love to be able to replace the broken bits.  Just be aware that each vertebrae has little metal islets that the neck cables run through.  Not sure how you could insert those into a printed one?

pleokemp

• Leaving the nest
  • Male
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2016, 09:28:04 PM »

Thanks Grumpy, I think I could insert RFID chips into the ones I make and program them to the ones out there or make new ones but I'm not sure on the current state of DEV for the Pleo SDK. I remember that it was surprisingly good back in the day, so I'll have to check it out.

Kat, sorry to hear that I know the feeling now. Can you tell me which vertebrae are broken? Some are similar or the same but others like the one that broke on my Pleo are very different. That would help me get an idea of which ones have the most problems and what I should focus on. How did the glue work for you BTW? As for the metal islets, I can press them in later after it's printed.

I hope this generates some excitement in the community and I am anxious to get my Pleo working again as well as many other peoples.

pnhicks

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2016, 03:33:53 AM »

Hi pleokemp,

Carbon fiber filament, oh dear, must be fun to have "access" to such fun stuff!! :))

Jealous Peter in Spain
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal