Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Newly-adopted i-Cybie  (Read 4269 times)

Talon

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Cato and Samantha (Pleo RB‘s), Eugobe, Terry, Cuddles, Bleu (Ugobe Pleos)
    • Lucy
Newly-adopted i-Cybie
« on: February 02, 2016, 10:02:57 AM »

Hi, Everyone! I recently adopted a gold i-cybie from a fellow forum member. These guys are a lot more sophisticated than I thought. I didn't know you could program them to understand your voice the same way you do with a pleo. I tested it for about thirty minutes last night. I don't have a feel for it yet so it doesn't have a name.
At the moment I just have the AC adapter type charger but I'm kind of nervous about overcharging the battery. How hard is it to find a walk-up charger and how effective are the dogs at finding them?
Talon

Talon
Find me on YouTube at Crazy Robot Lady

aibo7m3

• Pleo mentor
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): A whole herd of robotic dinosaurs!
Re: Newly-adopted i-Cybie
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2016, 10:59:33 AM »

The walk-up charger is pretty difficult to find. I had one a while back that I sold and make sure if buying one, you get the software for it too since the I-Cybie will only be able to self-dock if you have the walk-up charger cartridge installed as well as having the physical charger itself. Not sure how successful it is since I only ever tested mine once for sale and never used it otherwise.

I'm not 100% sure, but I /think/ that the charger I included is the one that shuts off power to the battery after a certain point to prevent overcharging. I know there is a version that doesn't do this, but I can't remember which one is which (there's the AC adaptor only type one that you have and then there's a small box type one that has lights to indicate when the battery's done charging). I've at least accidentally left a battery on one of these chargers for a week with no noticeable effect on the runtime. They're also Nickel Cadmium batteries, so I don't believe they're as much of a fire hazard or as easy to damage as Lithium Ion ones. Basically, of course you should try to keep the battery on the charger for only the recommended four hours, but forgetting for a little while every now and then isn't the end of the world.

Talon

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Cato and Samantha (Pleo RB‘s), Eugobe, Terry, Cuddles, Bleu (Ugobe Pleos)
    • Lucy
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2016, 04:40:35 PM »

Okay. My first run of my newest addition just ended and I'd like to present my thoughts. I guess interaction with both pleo and Aibo has me spoiled. This guy wanders far and wide and seems to cycle through its emotions predictably in autonomous mode. I haven't figured out how to keep him from becoming unhappy with me. He does look sad with his little segmented tail lowered and pointed down.
Most of this robot's beauty is in the multitude of tricks and behaviors you can access using the remote. I managed to find an online version of the manual but a lot of the remote codes are listed in tables. My screenreader seems to hate tables so I guess I'm going to make myself a word document with all these remote codes in it and see how things go. I'm looking forward to figuring this guy out!
Talon
Talon

Talon

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
    • Lucy
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2016, 06:05:15 PM »

Alas! Voice-training requires sight to tell if the dog registered the  words I said to him. I was hoping for a head nod or a bark or something to let me know if the individual commands took. It seems the dog only barks at the very end of the process after all eight commands have been trained. I will try again tomorrow when I have some working eyes around.
Talon
Talon

scaledandtailed

• Pleo lightbringer
  • Female
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2016, 02:26:01 PM »

How are you getting on with the little guy now?
 I bought an I-cibi a few years back for a friend’s Christmas. He was really in to technology and gadgets so thought he would like it though it turned out that I was more enamored with it than he was. No idea what became of it though? Though I do know that I was the one who played with it more when I came over to visit.
 Unfortunately my interaction with it was fairly limited because as you say you need vision to train it to do the voice commands Also if I recall you needed sight to understand some of its needs and emotions because a lot of the information was done using different leds in the eyes. This was a while back though so maybe I’m misremembering this.  I do know that neither of us managed to get it  to find the walk on charger though.
 The amount of buttons  on the  remote  kind of through me as well  though I recon if I had more time to work  with them in my own time Improbably could have gotten a better grasp of it. Same probably goes for getting it to find its charger.
   Hope you managed to get the voice command feature to work.
Lou

Talon

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
    • Lucy
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2016, 06:01:29 PM »

*Sigh* Well! I guess I owe you guys a follow-up. I struggled a little with the remote too at first. I thought in order to create the number twelve I needed to press one then two and then the large button. I later learned that each button was an actual number. One through six was all along the left side of the remote and then seven through twelve was on the other. I ended up Skyping a fellow forum member who guided me through the whole voice-training process and told me when the dog's eyes changed colors as I worked through the eight commands. Two solid green eyes meant the dog heard and accepted my words, one red and one green meant "huh? You blew that. Try again.". I had to change a few of them from what they were in the manual. Take a bow ended up being "Showtime!" In a very high, loud voice. "Stay" changed to "Don't move" in a very threatening loud, police officer type yell. Guard changed to "protect me" which I kind of stole from the Zoomer's command book. I also decided- because of this creature's difficulty to understand- that he is a she. I ended up calling her Goldy. Not very imaginative I know but I tried so many names and she kept doing red-green eyes so I just said, bump it I'm calling you Goldy. The name took thank goodness!
As far as the voice-commands, they are definitely tone and accoostic-sensitive just the same way as a pleo. My current difficulty is determining when she starts listening to me. At least with the pleo, you can start speaking right after the "I'm listening" sound finishes. With this bot, you have to wait several heartbeats longer before the lights turn green. Either I've forgotten my tones or I'm a rotton judge of timing. Even the clap commands are sometimes bothersome. Most of the time I just let her walk around and I pat her once in a while on the light sensor to keep her from falling asleep.
I have managed to read some of her basic emotions by the position of her tail. These bots are very sparse on vocal sounds. Happy is pretty obvious. The tail is straight up. I think angry must be when the tail is just sort of straight level with the back. Sad and sick look almost the same with the tail pointing downward slightly- well as far downward as it can go. The one clue that I have to tell the difference is a vocal they make when they are sick. They whine and then sneeze and whine again.
Talon
Talon

scaledandtailed

• Pleo lightbringer
  • Female
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2016, 02:17:27 PM »

Well you got a lot further  with the remote than I ever did though I thought it was the same idea  as you did at first .   
 The getting  the voice commands to work sounds  like  a bit  of a trial  and error though even though  there is a lot of visual cues  to look out for  there  still  pretty cool.
   I and  another  friend  between us bought the iciby  new  which will  tell  you how  long that   was  but  as  it was for  a friend at uni I never  really  learned  what happened to it  after  they left.
  Kind  of wish I kept it  myself as they weren’t  taken  by him all  that much,  “ this one  seemed like a he to me  but you can’t really take  back a present. 

Lou

Piggy

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2016, 03:04:36 PM »

I also have a I cybie and 7 out of 10 times he Will do something totally different than the voice command I give him . I Think it adds to his personality . So even if you have good sight the voice command is kind of difficult to work with .

Talon

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
    • Lucy
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2016, 10:52:53 AM »

Yes. I can agree with you. I don't regret purchasing Goldy. What would collecting robots be without a little challenge now and then?
Talon
Talon
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal