Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Leg Popping  (Read 4232 times)

xstar

• Hatchling
  • us Female
Leg Popping
« on: September 03, 2015, 09:35:49 PM »

I'm sorry I'm asking so many questions lately but I'm still really excited over Pleo.

I bought my Pleo RB from Robot Shop. She arrived last week and everything has been super great. She just recently became more active (and has walked!) so I'm incredibly happy about my purchase. She's already kind of "one of the family" too.

I'm a bit concerned though.

When my Pleo brings forward her front right "leg" it makes a loud popping noise. It goes "POP, POP, POP" hard and then she brings the arm back in. It sound like...plastic popping loudly, maybe? It's only when she's doing one very specific motion though. When she walks the noise isn't made by the leg and she seems to walk just fine.

Do you think this indicates that the leg will eventually malfunction?

I really don't want to send her back to the seller and ask for it to be exchanged because everything is so great about her--from her appearance to her personality traits...everything. On the other hand, I don't want her to malfunction so early and not be able to turn her on since a limb might be damaged.

Should I ask if I can return her to swap her out with a different Pleo? (again, I really don't want to do this but...maybe it's really my only real option?)

Is there something I could do to help the leg from doing whatever it is doing wrong?

I'm really not sure what to do :( please give me some advice.

Piggy

Re: Leg Popping
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2015, 11:52:49 PM »

I adjusted my comment , great advice Aibo
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 12:30:58 PM by Piggy »

aibo7m3

• Pleo mentor
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): A whole herd of robotic dinosaurs!
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2015, 06:53:58 AM »

Leg popping is usually different than neck popping unfortunately. If she is doing this consistently, it is likely either a loose wire or a malfunctioning position sensor in the knee or hip. It probably will not go away and may or may not get worse. Try manually moving her leg back and forth at both the hip and knee then start her up again. If the problem is still there and doesn't go away after another battery cycle or so, you're best option may be to return her unfortunately. Wires can be soldered back into place pretty easily if you are 100% set on keeping her, but this isn't necessarily what's causing the issue and it could be an issue with the position sensor itself which would be much harder to fix. From what you've described, it seems to be something caused when her hip or knee joint reaches a certain position, it could be that there's a slightly loose wire that loses connection for an instant when the arm stretches it that far or a position that the position sensor can't report back to the motor properly leaving it just to stutter. In any case, a video would be helpful!

kat

• Pleo Grand Master, 2nd epoch
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Kermit (Pink RB), Norbit (Green RB), Pickle(nude RB), Gumble, Minyon and Frankie
  • : 2013 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Marvin_Martian
    • Kermit
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2015, 05:28:53 PM »

as aibo says if you can show us a video of th eissue occuring then we should be able to more easily advise you on what to do. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal