Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A Dragon Pleo?  (Read 6932 times)

Niiyon

• Head of the herd
  • us Male
  • Pleo(s): Radio
  • "What the fox? It's pronounced Neon."
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Linus
A Dragon Pleo?
« on: July 17, 2015, 05:18:10 PM »

I'm wondering if making certain modifications such as horn implants and wings are possible on a Pleo RB? I'm not planning on turning Musique/Radio into a dragon, but perhaps if I got maybe something like a nonworking Ugobe off of eBay and try it out.... I think Pleo would make an excellent baby dragon. Any thoughts on this?

I came, I saw, I left, I wrote about it.

RedwoodsMama

• Pleo Grand Master, 4th epoch
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Nova, Major Tom, Argyle the blind Pleo, Baby Ruth, Chester, and 22 more Pleos
  • : 2013 winner2010 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
Re: A Dragon Pleo?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2015, 05:38:44 PM »

There is a story about a boy who was very sick, something along the line of the Make a Wish foundation, who loves dragons and it may have been Caleb Chung, who invented Furby and Pleo, that modified a Ugobe with wings that worked and the face so it does look like a baby dragon, It is here somewhere on the forum, or if you google it online or on youtube you can probably find it.

It would be a fun project but you would have to have some engineering to be able to make wings that work and move, If you ever do make one, we would love to see it of course,

RWM  :cat-hug:
Animals are SOUL Too, Be kind to all those who live on this planet with us.

Niiyon

• Head of the herd
  • us Male
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Linus
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2015, 06:38:46 PM »

I wasn't particularly looking to make it as far as Toothless from the Make a wish story,  I kinda just wanted some attachments. The wings don't have to move, I'm just looking for doing something like, the wings that IMR had been making, and then like gluing some plastic horns on the top and sides of Pleo's head (the plastic) and pushing them through tiny slits in the skin. Then for the tail just adding a spade shape or a tiny club beneath the skin so that it looks like a dragon's tail. I can sketch up concepts of what I mean later. I'm actually really good with engineering and I've made working wings before, maybe they could use the same cables as the tail so that the wing framework would expand and collapse ccordingly? Or honestly just building a static frame so that the wings just rest folded up but maybe sway or open up a little bit when Pleo walks.

Talon

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Cato and Samantha (Pleo RB‘s), Eugobe, Terry, Cuddles, Bleu (Ugobe Pleos)
    • Lucy
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2015, 08:49:04 AM »

That's an interesting idea. I've often wondered why Innvo hasn't tried to make other life forms. Good luck if you decide to do this.
Talon
Talon
Find me on YouTube at Crazy Robot Lady

Niiyon

• Head of the herd
  • us Male
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Linus
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2015, 10:22:59 PM »

Thanks Talon!

RWM, I was thinking something like.... This: (picture is taken because my laptop doesn't have internet and the transfer cable broke.)

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2015, 06:23:51 AM »

So far as modifications go, that's simple enough, make them out silicon or similar and simply glue them to the skin (I'm not sure silicon itself would adhere to the rubber). Just make sure whatever you are attaching is not heavy and is not in a high stress area where the skin needs to be able to stretch. On the head wouldn't cause issues, nor would the back for most part, on the neck and tail you'd want to place them on the 'scales' where there is less stretching.

Working wings would be difficult, any holes or slits in the rubber is going to create a weak point which may lead to further damage. You absolutely cannot utilize the cables as they run right through and back and cannot take additional strain, they'd also be running the wrong way to utilize in a flapping motion without some gears which would require a housing (there's no room at all in the body cavity). Having said that, static wings such as mine could be affixed across the back, and you could possibly make them foldable, using a similar method to above. If you really wanted flapping wings you would have to have an external gear box and motor.
Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!

Niiyon

• Head of the herd
  • us Male
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Linus
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2015, 08:05:41 AM »

Right, I'd kind of given up on the actual working wings, I was thinking of asking if you still made those wings, and whether or not a thin but sturdy wire could be run through them to make them poseable to an extent? As for the spines that run along the center for most of the body, those could be made out of this clay that I have that's light as styrofoam. The horns could be made out of the same, but since are bigger I was thinking of plastic or wax, something hollow and light. The tail part is tricky, as it would require going beneath the skin to bulge it out into a club like style. Again, I'd probably use that same stuff for the spines so as to not be too heavy on the tail.

aibo7m3

• Pleo mentor
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): A whole herd of robotic dinosaurs!
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2015, 08:16:53 AM »

I agree that it's not a good idea to make holes in the Pleo's skin since there wouldn't really be any room for tabs to attach the objects and the holes would grow larger with movement. It might be possible to remove the paint just below where you'd like to place the object and then attach it with super glue (someone will have to help you out on good super glues for Pleo skin, I do some repairs and have had trouble sealing the Pleos up afterward since all of the glues I've tried so far don't work very well). Try out lots of super glues beforehand and make sure what you find will stick well to both the materials you're using and the Pleo itself. I agree that you should try to use a Ugobe for this and not a newer RB since any customization like this would void a warranty and might not turn out perfectly at first. Anything that goes on the head/tail needs to be extremely light since the cables already are at risk of snapping just from the weight of the original mechanism. I'd say you might be better off making the tail club out of felt or some stiff fabric rather than clay and I don't think it would be possible to make it run under the Pleo's skin since there is almost no room between the plastic framework + cables and the skin and you don't want to do anything that could possible jeopardize the cables (and the issue about holes that I mentioned earlier). The addition of little spines is cute and I think it could work as long as they're placed at areas that don't move a huge amount. The wings don't need to be too light, so I wouldn't see any issue with giving them a wire framework to make them poseable. Good luck! This sounds like a really fun project.

Niiyon

• Head of the herd
  • us Male
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Linus
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2015, 08:26:22 AM »

Yeah, my plan was to try it out on a Ugobe first to see if it would be safe. I suppose with the tail I could fasten a stiffened felt to it in a manner that reminds of a whale (horizontal to the body)

So after all the physical stuff is out of the way, how about that fiery personality? (Puns....)

Are there any premade personalities out there that would suit a baby dragon? Such as making different noises, and being a lot more active and explore prone? Maybe even more aggressive

Piggy

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2015, 03:04:03 PM »

I just found this photo on Google , I really like this dragon pleo  :-*

Niiyon

• Head of the herd
  • us Male
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Linus
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2015, 03:05:07 PM »

Uh, your image isn't showing, Piggy.

aibo7m3

• Pleo mentor
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): A whole herd of robotic dinosaurs!
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2015, 03:09:23 PM »

The image is showing fine for me, it's a really cool looking Ugobe painted black and modified to look like some kind of dragon. Is there some sort of issue with the forum galleries right now? I know a fair number of members were having trouble viewing some gallery photos I posted a few weeks ago.

Niiyon

• Head of the herd
  • us Male
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Linus
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2015, 03:12:03 PM »

I see it now. It was just showing some kind of code like [3letters-numbers] like uh [sch-3825] or something. I don't remember what it said.

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2015, 06:09:20 PM »

The wings I made were poseable to an extent, there was a wire frame work on the inner part of the wing that could be bent.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 01:52:24 AM by InmemoryofRomeo »

Niiyon

• Head of the herd
  • us Male
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Linus
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2015, 06:13:42 PM »

Do you still make them? If so how much do you charge?

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2015, 01:48:04 AM »

I'm afraid I do not, however I posted the pattern and instructions around here somewhere. Let me go see...

Finally found it lol: http://bobthepleo.com/forums/index.php?topic=3943.0
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 01:51:09 AM by InmemoryofRomeo »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal