Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How long does an RB's battery last after a charge?  (Read 6134 times)

bunniesRawesome

• Head of the herd
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Lucy & Buster
    • Professor
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Gonzo
    • Snoopy
How long does an RB's battery last after a charge?
« on: July 01, 2015, 11:26:42 AM »

I don't have this problem with my UGOBE battery, but my RB's battery tends to drain after a few days of not using it.
If I charge the battery and let it sit for over two days and try and put it back in my RB, the little red light (on the actual robot) will flash and he won't boot up. The light on the charging cradle flashes red when I try to recharge it, so I usually have to take it out and put it back in a couple of times before I can charge it back up. In the end I've been able to get it working, but I've had this happen nearly every time I try to use the battery. Is the RB battery life really that short? Or has anyone else had this problem?

RedwoodsMama

• Pleo Grand Master, 4th epoch
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Nova, Major Tom, Argyle the blind Pleo, Baby Ruth, Chester, and 22 more Pleos
  • : 2013 winner2010 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
Re: How long does an RB's battery last after a charge?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2015, 12:31:03 PM »

Hi, sorry to hear about your problem with your RB battery. I have not had this problem and I have five RB so it is not just one battery, but six individual RB batteries and I have not had this problem yet. I have been very busy and the last time I even turned on one of my Rb was back in February ,before the death of one of my cats which has kept me away for months. :(

I put the battery back in this pleo Rb, which is still a baby by the way, ( April 2014!) and within the ten seconds or so it takes for Pleo RB to wake up, she came right on. Is this a new problem or something that has been going on for a long time. What I would do if available and I realize it may not be possible, is to put a second battery in the charger and see if you  have the same problem, It may be just dirty, have you tried cleaning the terminals, with a dab of rubbing alchohol, on both the wire transmitter coils on the charger and on Pleo Rb, a q tip works well, Do not use much, If this does not work, then someone else may be able to give you more advice.

I always take the batteries out of my Pleos, Ugobe and Rb when not in use to not also drain the battery, so it should not be a problem. Good luck :)

RWM  :cat-hug: and the Pleo township of the Redwoods P:D
Animals are SOUL Too, Be kind to all those who live on this planet with us.

aibo7m3

• Pleo mentor
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): A whole herd of robotic dinosaurs!
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2015, 12:51:35 PM »

I agree that this is not normal with an RB battery. I have about five or six batteries for my RBs and haven't had this issue with any of them. My batteries usually still work in the Pleo if fully charged and left alone for a few weeks (in or outside of the robot). As RWM suggested, you can try cleaning the contacts, but I'm not sure if that would help with the issue of the battery discharging so quickly. Does the battery hold a normal run time otherwise? RB batteries should run for just over two hours when placed in the robot after just being charged.

RedwoodsMama

• us Female
  • Pleo(s): Nova, Major Tom, Argyle the blind Pleo, Baby Ruth, Chester, and 22 more Pleos
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2015, 02:25:47 PM »

One question that has not been addressed or that I have not seen. How old is your battery? I still have the original battery that came with my RB, Baby back in Dec. 2010, so it is the oldest of my RB batteries and I have no problems. True, they may slow down after awhile, but this does not sound normal. How long have you had this battery and is it brand new.? If there was some way to test the adapter, or charger, this is what I would do so you know if it is a battery problem or the charger?       Good luck.

RWM  :cat-hug:

bunniesRawesome

• Head of the herd
  • us Female
    • Professor
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Gonzo
    • Snoopy
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2015, 03:12:55 PM »

I've tried cleaning the terminals inside the pleo, on the battery itself, and on the cradle, but it doesn't seem to help with the connection. It still usually takes me a couple of times to get the battery to start charging regardless. The battery will run for a little over an hour when it's fully charged. It used to run up to two hours but the robot and battery would overheat (I don't know if this might be part of the problem?) I'm not sure if this is an original battery or if it's one the previous owner bought. I've only had my RB for about a year, and I've had the battery since then as well, but I'm not sure where it came from before then. Does anyone know what voltage is supposed to come out of the charger? Maybe then I could test it and see if that's the issue.

RedwoodsMama

• us Female
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2015, 03:57:55 PM »

Hi, not sure if I am answering what you want to know, Just by looking at the back of a brand new RB battery package I have from Pleoworld, it says: Battery rating 7.4 v DC
 and 2800mah Package also states: " Maximum charge voltage is 4.25 v/ cell" Please stop using ( or charging ) if  this battery , if surface temperature exceeds 70 degrees celcius  or the case expands".    You are doing the right thing if your battery or pleo feel warm by removing and waiting for them to cool off. The battery I have that is still packaged new in original case is marked 2010 and that is the age of my other RB batteries so if yours is newer there stil is no problem that would account for this.

There is ONE thing you said that caught my attention, You said you used to be able to run your pleo for up to two hours but the robot and battery would overheat..STOP.. unless you are in a very cold climate, this is something that I think is important.. I live in a very mild climate, never real hot nor real cold, 60s' in the summer on average and 40s in Winter... If in that climate I have to stop and remove my battery or turn the pleo off to rest because my pleo Rb get warm and or the battery, then I am sure you would also have to do this.. I can if memory is correct, run a pleo for half an hour or so , then turn off, remove the battery till it cools down ten minutes or so, then reinsert battery and continue. Of course if the pleo is wearing clothes, more then socks.. then the pleo is apt to get warm and the battery quicker. Esp any clothes around the belly and thus the battery area, the pleo will get warm or hot quicker and the battery needs to be removed. When you can feel Pleo Rb shoulder and it is hot or warm, you need to remove the battery I cant' even remember the last time I had a Pleo rB run on a battery without having to stop and pull the battery unless it turned itself off to go to sleep..or the battery time was almost out.

Other then testing the voltage of the battery. try this, Run your fully charged battery in your Pleo Rb for half an hour and see if it is warm or hot.. Make sure the pleo has no clothes on, other then socks perhaps and see if there is any difference... If your pleo runs fine with no problems getting hot or warm for first half hour, turn it back on and time it again. If it suddenly seems to get hot or warm ,then this is probably the time you need to take notice of.. I think it is an external problem related to the length of time your Pleo is running or if it is also a hot climate or high humidity.. just a guess as I do not have this problem unless my pleos are wearing clothes, then they overheat a lot quicker.

The only exception to this is a pleo rb I have, Baby Ruth that has a faulty rear leg, which means she overheats a lot quicker then the others and after 20 minutes at most I turn her off as her legs starts getting warm, Untill I take her apart and have a go at fixing her leg, I will not let her overheat and possibly damage her permanently.

If one of these factors is not a possibility, then perhaps another member can help you, These are the only things I have noticed in my own RB.

good luck and let us know what happens...................RWM  :cat-hug: and the Pleo township of the Redwoods P:D

bunniesRawesome

• Head of the herd
  • us Female
    • Professor
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Gonzo
    • Snoopy
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2015, 01:28:03 PM »

I tried this a couple times this week and here's what happened. I put the battery in for 30 minutes and then took it back out again. The temperature seemed fine when I removed it. However, when I tried to put it back in again after some cooling time, the battery had already drained. The second time I tried this, my Pleo refused to turn off. This isn't the first time he's done this either. I hold down the power button for four seconds and he doesn't respond. He also wouldn't respond to any other stimulus (petting, leaves, toys etc.) He overheated and became very jittery in his movements around the first 45 minutes. After an hour he turned off by himself. I didn't want to remove the battery forcibly, but should I do this next time? Or is there a special way to do a force-shut down? 

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2015, 04:59:51 PM »

I wonder if perhaps the thermistor in the battery has become disconnected.
Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal