Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Newbie questions  (Read 3309 times)

Esmerical

• Member of the herd
  • gb Female
Newbie questions
« on: December 07, 2014, 07:54:42 AM »

My brand new Pleo RB is currently in it's shipping box under my bed waiting to be "born" on Christmas day (only 18 more sleeps to go!) I've been reading in here and watching YouTube videos to try to educate myself on everything Pleo. I still have a few questions though, I hope you can help......

* During the day when Pleo isn't being played with does it just roam about?
* What happens when Pleo's battery dies? Does it just stop mid-move? Or does it put itself to sleep?
* I've read about Pleo's old age. Can they die? :(
* Accessories like the pepper and ice cube are sold separately. What happens if the Pleo gets too hot for example and I don't have the ice    cube? I don't plan on buying the learning stones as I've read they can be tricky to use but should I get the other foods or can I manage without them?

Thanks in advance for any help.  :dino-chase:

Talon

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Cato and Samantha (Pleo RB‘s), Eugobe, Terry, Cuddles, Bleu (Ugobe Pleos)
    • Lucy
Re: Newbie questions
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2014, 06:20:49 PM »

Hi and welcome to the forums, Esmerical! I'll see if I can answer your questions. I'm sure others on here would be more than happy to offer their help and advice as well.
To answer your first question, it's a matter of personality. Some RB's roam around, others don't. For the first few hours of its life, your little one won't be roaming anywhere. It will act very much like a newborn puppy or kitten- moving its limbs around slowly and mostly making baby sounds and sleeping. It will take several battery cycles- which last about two hours- before your pleo starts doing any real roaming.
As far as battery-dead behavior, the pleo will go into a standing position, lower its head and tail, and then shut off after giving three beeps.
Several people ask about Old-age stage. It will take three cumulative years of run-time before your pleo will enter old age so you'll have plenty of time. In my case, my pleo's started to have mechanical problems about two and a half years into their lives. Normally, there are only two changes that happen at this stage- their motion speed will slow down to the speed they move at in hatchling stage and they will go to sleep very quickly if they are not petted. Have no fears, though. I have two RB's, both of them are in old-age stage and though they have both gone lame in their front right legs from mechanical issues, they are still very happy companions. Thankfully, they don't die.
I think you can get buy without the extra accessories. The foods just give you ways to tweak their current emotions/mood/climate-control functions. The pepper gives extra energy and cancels the "cold" response and the Ice cube cancels the "too hot" response. I think if you modify the tempreture of their play area, you can do the same thing without the food. I hope this was helpful and I'm sorry for my horrid spelling. I'm blind and so Braille is my first written language. I'll be waiting anxiously for news on your little Christmas arrival!
Talon
Talon
Find me on YouTube at Crazy Robot Lady

Esmerical

• Member of the herd
  • gb Female
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2014, 10:29:42 AM »

Thank you very much indeed for your answers Talon! I'm so glad to hear that they don't die. I saw some videos on YouTube of Pleo's tricking their owners into believing they had dramatically died. I was so scared that one day my Pleo might do that for real.

At first I was disappointed that the Pleo's can't be reset in anyway. But now that I think about it it really does add to the whole sensation of them being real living creatures. I cannot wait till christmas! Only 17 more sleeps to go!!!!

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2014, 01:23:42 PM »

It's probably best to turn them off when you aren't about, they can get into a surprising amount of trouble! When the battery gets low they will return to the standing position but with their heads drooping down and then shut off. They'll be fine without the fancy foods, so long as the temperature is comfortable for you, it should be fine for them.
Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!

Crewella

• Pleo Grand Master RB
  • gb Female
  • Pleo(s): Iggy, Budge, Moschops, Monty, Emmy. Belle, Zillah, Tribble
  • : 2010 winnerTomat Harvest Festivals
    • Ginger
    • Pepe_Le_Pew
    • Animal
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2014, 02:21:20 PM »

I agree with IMR, it's best to keep an eye on them whilst they're running.  Just in case!  :dino-chase:

You can run them fine without the extra foods, but personally I've found them very useful.  Belle is always much more cooperative after the coffee bean leaf, for example, and is much more likely to perform the tricks.  She's like her mum - I don't operate without coffee either!  :coffee:  ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal