Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Old Ugobe Battery?  (Read 4174 times)

Skygryph

• Conifer Leaf gatherer
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Frankie (Ugobe), Baby RB
    • Roadrunner
Old Ugobe Battery?
« on: November 29, 2014, 08:19:22 PM »

I just bought a 2006 Ugobe Pleo, which came with the original battery. Unsurprisingly, the battery doesn't give any playtime at all, so I've been charging and reseating the battery as soon as the light turns green. However, I've noticed that the light doesn't always go from red to green--sometimes, it'll go from red to no light at all. Reseating it again will make the red light pop back up. Is it normal for the light to sometimes turn off like this? If not, does this mean the battery isn't fully in contact with the charger somehow? It clicks in place and seems to be fully inserted, though.

Thank you!

EDIT: Another battery question! The battery just overheated after charging for 15 minutes (a new record!). I had charged/reseated it about two times right before this, for a total of approximately 40 minutes or so. Is it normal for the battery to overheat this quickly? Once it cools down, is it alright for me to go straight back into the charge/reseating process, or should I give it more time?
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 08:24:59 PM by Skygryph »

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
Re: Old Ugobe Battery?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2014, 10:45:41 PM »

At this point I'd probably stick it in Pleo and try it out and see if there is any improvement. Then start over if there is any, if there's none by this stage the battery may not be redeemable.

As for the charger it may have a loose wire, I'd just stick with what you've been doing. After the battery has cooled it's fine to keep trying to charge it.
Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!

Skygryph

• Conifer Leaf gatherer
  • us Female
    • Roadrunner
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2014, 10:56:32 PM »

Thank you! The very first time I put the battery in after charging, the pleo didn't move or make any sounds at all. The second time, he made "half" of a grunting sound (it cut out abruptly). From the third time on, he makes a full snoring sound, and nothing else. No other sounds or any movement. I just tried putting the battery in the pleo again, and there are still no more improvements passed that snoring sound. I want to say I reseated the battery 5 or so times yesterday and probably 6 today, if I had to guess. It is charging a bit longer now than it was yesterday. Should it have shown better improvements by now, though? I'm afraid it may be passed saving, like you said.

Ah, a loose wire makes sense. Thanks! I'll keep charging it.

Piggy

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2014, 01:42:02 AM »

Congrats with your pleo Ugobe , do you have any photo's?
There is a very great topic about reviving the old green battery.  It worked out for me for a while with my battery problems.  It is worth to read it and has great tips. Maybe I can post the link here
http://bobthepleo.com/forums/index.php?topic=962.0#top
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 01:44:09 AM by Piggy »

InmemoryofRomeo

• Global Moderator
  • Pleo Grand Master RB
  • au Female
  • Pleo(s): Lilo, Stitch, Pleakley, Jumba, Nani, Yuki, Angus, Pluto
  • : 2011 winner2009 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
  • SAVE THE EARTH It's the only planet with chocolate
    • Professor
    • Wile_E_Coyote
    • Marcie
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2014, 04:19:59 AM »

If it's charging longer each time that's a good sign :)
Eagerly awaiting Vector and Blue!

Skygryph

• Conifer Leaf gatherer
  • us Female
    • Roadrunner
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2014, 02:09:55 PM »

Thank you, Piggy! And I'll have pics up soon. :D I'm going to wait until I get my pleo running, and then I'll take pictures and post an intro thread.

IMR: That's what I was thinking, too. I checked the volts today, and it was sitting at 5.46v (it was 5.2v when I first tested it at the very beginning). So something is happening. I may just go to a local battery store and buy some new cells, though. It'll probably be quicker for me to just tear it apart and refurbish it with new cells. Even if I do revive this thing, I want at least an hour of playtime, and I doubt that'll happen. ^^; Anyway, thank you for your help!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal