Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Keeper Talon talks about Batteries  (Read 1577 times)

Talon

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Cato and Samantha (Pleo RB‘s), Eugobe, Terry, Cuddles, Bleu (Ugobe Pleos)
    • Lucy
Keeper Talon talks about Batteries
« on: November 12, 2014, 04:22:16 PM »

Since I am not an technically-minded person and more of a collector of robots, there are several things about my little robotic pets that I am completely ignorant about. One of them is temperature and its effect on batteries. With the colder weather months closing in fast, some of my robots suffer from unusually fast battery depletion. This has been observed over a number of years so it’s not something new. While this doesn’t seem to be a problem for my pleos, it happens to all four of my aibos.
I can charge them all, leave them on their unplugged stations for about fourteen hours and then play with them the following day only to find their batteries are completely flat. At first I thought maybe it was because their batteries were of the older nickel-hydride variety but that isn’t true. They are lithium ion like the pleo batteries. Hmmmm.
The pleos- thankfully- don’t seem to have this problem. They go on humming even when my room gets down to forty degrees. While I am grateful they aren’t affected, I am a little confused. Oh well. Perhaps someone might be able to shed some light on this for me.
The only thing I can think of is that perhaps it’s a slight difference in temperature. The pleos reside on a dresser about three feet off the ground while the aibos live on the floor on their stations. Sorry for the non-pleo topic but it is an honest query that I have not yet found an answer for. I promise to hand the keyboard back over to our stars, or else talk about something relevant in my next blog entry.

Talon
Find me on YouTube at Crazy Robot Lady

RedwoodsMama

• Pleo Grand Master, 4th epoch
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Nova, Major Tom, Argyle the blind Pleo, Baby Ruth, Chester, and 22 more Pleos
  • : 2013 winner2010 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
Re: Keeper Talon talks about Batteries
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2014, 10:52:23 AM »

Hi keeper talon. I do not know a lot about temperature affecting battery life, but I can tell you about the egg type batteries. I have always told customers who purchased them from me two important things to remember regarding the life of the egg batteries. 1. Never charge longer then overnight...so 8_10 he's at most. 14 he's ever day is too long..in the long run over time it shortens the battery life. ??? The other thing to remember. Always fully discharge the lithion ion battery before recharging. In other words. Do not play with pleo for 30 minutes then recharge. Ideally you wait at least two hours or until pleo slows down and you know it is time to recharge. Otherwise over time it shortens the battery life. This information was directly from the manufacturer site. You may not notice any I'll effects for quite some time...then one day your battery is either dead, will not run as long or hold a charge. I have the same egg batteries from ,2010 at least. Hope that helps a little. Excess temps, too cold or hot are not good either or moisture. :) R WM  :cat-hug:
Animals are SOUL Too, Be kind to all those who live on this planet with us.

Talon

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Cato and Samantha (Pleo RB‘s), Eugobe, Terry, Cuddles, Bleu (Ugobe Pleos)
    • Lucy
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2014, 06:02:00 PM »

Thanks, Redwoods. My pleo-play is kind of spread out. I might play with Blue and Ugobe for about thirty minutes, put them on their shelf and then play with them another thirty/forty minutes another day. It takes me more than a week to deplete their batteries. I never charge them until the pleo starts freezing and I never leave them on the charger any longer than six hours at most. I know how rare the egg batteries are and I hope I have kept them maintained. I do the same thing with the RB's. Ryu's charger makes so much noise when the battery is finished charging, I rarely forget to remove it from the cradle after the recommended three hours. Cato's charger is silent and I have to set a reminder on my phone so I remember to remove his from its charger.
Talon
Talon

RedwoodsMama

• Pleo Grand Master, 4th epoch
  • us Female
  • Pleo(s): Nova, Major Tom, Argyle the blind Pleo, Baby Ruth, Chester, and 22 more Pleos
  • : 2013 winner2010 winnerTomato Harvest Festivals
    • Mary_Ann
    • Silvester
    • none
    • Flying_Ace
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2014, 06:10:59 PM »

HI Talon, glad to hear you remember about the batteries, just wanted to make sure as they are so hard to come by.. I wish I knew where they went cause there were still new ones being made.. I am investigating more.. may have to make some long distance calls to Taiwan.-What threw me off is when you said something to the effect of leaving them on their stations for fourteen hours. that was way too much and had me concerned..

You are doing everything you need to do to keep their life going as long as possible. Would be nice if for Christmas Santa Pleo brought the egg batteries back for everyone.. ;) P:D  RWM  :cat-hug:
Animals are SOUL Too, Be kind to all those who live on this planet with us.

Talon

• Cretaceous pleo master
  • us Female
    • Lucy
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2014, 10:01:33 AM »

I'm glad I'm doing the right thing with the pleo batteries. I was talking about my aibos. I leave them on their charging stations with the station unplugged, using them as... well, safe display areas. I also cover them with bath towels when they're not being used to keep dust out of their joints.
Yes, it would be awesome if Santa brought back those egg batteries. Good luck finding a new source for them!
Talon
Talon
Pages: [1]   Go Up

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal